• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Yaweee

Jay Sosa said:
Ahh right.. Why did they take all that stuff out in P4?

Because the heart items were complete bullshit and were a terrible mechanic. They're essentially secret items that felt almost necessary to kill the final boss if you aren't overleveling in Monad or spamming Armaggedon (see, the items from Narcissus or Abaddon, unless you want to regularly Diarahan the boss to full health).

Through P3, The Answer, and FES' The Journey, I fused Abaddon 3 times without him getting a heart.

As far as I recall, the Heart items were all accessories.

Jay Sosa

I liked it when my personas gave me something..

Had no problems with the last boss cause everyone in my party was at Lvl. 99 :D (First time I ever did that, Tartarus was just sooo damn fun) so I didn't know that you "need" some secret items to beat him.

Yaweee

Jay Sosa said:
I liked it when my personas gave me something..

Had no problems with the last boss cause everyone in my party was at Lvl. 99 :D (First time I ever did that, Tartarus was just sooo damn fun) so I didn't know that you "need" some secret items to beat him.

If you aren't doing Monad (which wasn't automatically unlocked in FES), your level will only end up somewhere in the 70's before you hit diminishing returns. If your party members get hit with charm at any time, they'll Diarahan the last boss to full.

You might not "need" the items, but if you aren't overleveled, the boss fight can effectively reset 40 minutes into it.

Jay Sosa

Yaweee said:
If you aren't doing Monad (which wasn't automatically unlocked in FES), your level will only end up somewhere in the 70's before you hit diminishing returns. If your party members get hit with charm at any time, they'll Diarahan the last boss to full.

You might not "need" the items, but if you aren't overleveled, the boss fight can effectively reset 40 minutes into it.

Btw regarding P4:
Is there something similar like this Monad (I guess you mean the Bonus dungeon which opens after you beat death) in P4?

Yaweee

No, there's no "bonus" dungeon of that sort in P4. There are a few "fake" endings along the way to the true one, though, with dungeons opening up if you're on your way to the better endings.

Yaweee

Jay Sosa said:
Thanks!

EDIT: What the...guess I'll have too look into a guide after all (hate playing with guides, they spoil all the fun)

You don't have to worry about screwing yourself out of the better endings in P4. There are no save points after the the branch points, unless you do your New Game+ "complete" save from a bad ending over your regular save file.

Yaweee said:
No, there's no "bonus" dungeon of that sort in P4. There are a few "fake" endings along the way to the true one, though, with dungeons opening up if you're on your way to the better endings.
What about the
Death and Margaret stuff
? Is there no dungeon attached to them or something?

Yaweee

I AM JOHN! said:
What about the
Death and Margaret stuff
? Is there no dungeon attached to them or something?

Wait, are you referring to the P3 stuff or P4 stuff?

The "new" bonus stuff in P3P doesn't have any real dungeon associated with it. It is just a room with a bunch of doors like the hub area in The Answer that you can access in the last month. The doors lead to updated versions of the Full Moon boss fights, and a little bit more.

In the original version of P3, you could stroll right into Monad any time during the last month, leading to easy, massive overleveling for the last boss fight.

In FES, you had to kill Death and reach the end of Tartarus before you could enter Monad.

For the P4 "bonus" boss fight, you just need to complete Margaret's S. Link prior to the final day.

Jay Sosa

Yaweee said:
You don't have to worry about screwing yourself out of the better endings in P4. There are no save points after the the branch points, unless you do your New Game+ "complete" save from a bad ending over your regular save file.

Uh oh..

Wanted to replay it again to max out my S.Links anyway
and hook up with Rise or Chie san :lol
Anyway hope I'll finish Jeanne D'arc soon so I can join the fun.

Curufinwe

Yaweee said:
In the original version of P3, you could stroll right into Monad any time during the last month, leading to easy, massive overleveling for the last boss fight.

In FES, you had to kill Death and reach the end of Tartarus before you could enter Monad.

That's what I did in P3. I didn't even know it was changed for FES since I only played The Answer.

So I'll eventually have to fight Death? What level should I be before I think about fighting him? I'm still early in the game and haven't entered a battle with him yet (he kills my allies very quickly though).

kman3000

Tkawsome said:
So I'll eventually have to fight Death? What level should I be before I think about fighting him? I'm still early in the game and haven't entered a battle with him yet (he kills my allies very quickly though).
Make sure you have Odin with Thunder Reign before fighting him.

Yaweee

kman3000 said:
Make sure you have Odin with Thunder Reign before fighting him.

The incorporation of P4's knockdown rules negate that strategy. In FES, you could use the TR to give it the shock status, which would lead to a crit attack to knock it down. If you skipped the All-In, Death would waste a turn getting up, which causes it to skip its turn.

Now, it will miss one turn, but it will rise on the next turn and attack immediately, so you can't keep him locked down forever.

Jay Sosa

Tamanon said:
And steal Teddie from Nanako? FOR SHAME!

Was I the only one to find that a bit creepy?

And death isn't that hard, I'd say try it when you're about lvl.60 or so. But it's been a long time so I might be wrong.

jcm

Jay Sosa said:
Was I the only one to find that a bit creepy?

And death isn't that hard, I'd say try it when you're about lvl.60 or so. But it's been a long time so I might be wrong.

I don't think that 60 is doable. I suppose you could get very, very, lucky, but it seems unlikely. I'd say high 70s to low 80s, now that the thunder reign cheese strategy is gone.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I really like this new all-out-attack portrait style

15phhua.jpg

I would like to see an "all girl" one please :D

kman3000

Yaweee said:
The incorporation of P4's knockdown rules negate that strategy. In FES, you could use the TR to give it the shock status, which would lead to a crit attack to knock it down. If you skipped the All-In, Death would waste a turn getting up, which causes it to skip its turn.

Now, it will miss one turn, but it will rise on the next turn and attack immediately, so you can't keep him locked down forever.
Really? Oh well, Odin is still awesome!

Tamanon

Banned
chandoog said:

15phhua.jpg

I'm sure Red Scarlet will have one eventually. I don't like the emotionless Charlotte face though for those attacks, she's got more emotions than the male lead, that's for sure, it just looks odd.

Tamanon said:
I'm sure Red Scarlet will have one eventually. I don't like the emotionless Charlotte face though for those attacks, she's got more emotions than the male lead, that's for sure, it just looks odd.

This always bugged me about all out attack portraits.

P4's protagonist had the most appropriate AOA portrait.

jcm said:
I don't think that 60 is doable. I suppose you could get very, very, lucky, but it seems unlikely. I'd say high 70s to low 80s, now that the thunder reign cheese strategy is gone.

yep - did it in low 70s & it went on forever :) ...

jcm

chandoog said:

Here's a crappy offscreen pic until someone with CFW gives you a proper screengrab.

2hy9jcw.jpg

kman3000

Melville said:
Man, I forgot how much of a prick Junpei was...
It's really weird to go through his Social Link and the early story events at the same time, because he's so nice during during the S. link and will then be a dick during the Full moon events.

kman3000 said:
It's really weird to go through his Social Link and the early story events at the same time, because he's so nice during during the S. link and will then be a dick during the Full moon events.

Junpei is tsundere! :lol

aceface

Yaweee said:

So you fight the final boss for 2 hours. It makes it all the more rewarding afterwards. :lol

Unknown Soldier said:
Junpei is tsundere! :lol
Or an idiot. Or both.

And yeah, P4's portraits for all-out attacks was better.

Anyone kind of annoyed by how lame the co-op attack animations are in this game? They just have the characters running up to an enemy and doing one strike.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
aceface said:
So you fight the final boss for 2 hours. It makes it all the more rewarding afterwards. :lol

Christ, the final boss was a bitch to go through. It makes the P4 boss seem like a normal shadow by comparison.

Anyone else reach the end yet?

kman3000

Crewnh said:
Or an idiot. Or both.

And yeah, P4's portraits for all-out attacks was better.

Anyone kind of annoyed by how lame the co-op attack animations are in this game? They just have the characters running up to an enemy and doing one strike.
They're kind of a bummer compared to the character unique attacks in P4.

Edit: Post Final Boss spoiler:
Go to Club Escapade on 3/4 and talk to the guy drinking at the bar for a potential P5 teaser

Don

kman3000 said:
Edit: Post Final Boss spoiler:
Go to Club Escapade on 3/4 and talk to the guy drinking at the bar for a potential P5 teaser

I haven't played through the PSP version of this yet, but I just seen a screenshot of what you are talking about and now I'm curious.
It would be pretty cool if he ends up being a party member in Persona 5.

Don said:
I haven't played through the PSP version of this yet, but I just seen a screenshot of what you are talking about and now I'm curious.
It would be pretty cool if he ends up being a party member in Persona 5.
Link to screenshot please?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
darkpaladinmfc said:
Awesome, I can't decide whether I want it on PS3 or 3DS...

I wouldn't mind if it's on PS2/360/PSP or 3DS personally :D

Melville said:
Man, I forgot how much of a prick Junpei was...

2psqg6w.jpg

Awesome prick is more like it :p

Don

chandoog said:
I wouldn't mind if it's on PS2/360/PSP or 3DS personally :D
All of the above. The more Persona the better.

Or Persona 2/4 Portable for handhelds, then Persona 5 on console.

Yaweee

Some people are speculating that it is just a slight homage to Gabriel Cunningham from Trauma Team, but the hair is curly rather than spiky and his eyes are a different color. So I'm going with P5 or unannounced-SMT-game cameo.

Wizpig

chandoog said:

15phhua.jpg

Let me at 'em!
Get back here you son of a... !
You'll fall by my hand!

Actually, i forgot how the old All-Out-Attack style was.

Wizpig said:
Actually, i forgot how the old All-Out-Attack style was.

It was dark blue and used rectangles for the character portraits instead of manga panels like P3P and P4.

Also the characters simply used their "angry" dialogue portraits instead of having custom ones.

Blueblur1

I'm interested in this Vincent speculation but wouldn't P5 take place in a whole other time frame (if Atlus follows the same pattern)? Like maybe 2013?

Top Bottom