• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Yaweee

Blueblur1 said:
I'm interested in this Vincent speculation but wouldn't P5 take place in a whole other time frame (if Atlus follows the same pattern)? Like maybe 2013?

There's no rhyme or reason to how Atlus handles continuity or setting within their various SMT sub-series. There's been a tendency to do 2 games in one setting and switch, but I think that is more of a function of what has historically been almost decade-long gaps between the 2nd and 3rd games in any line of SMT games. The recent Persona series have been so succesful, however, that they're doing a new Persona game rather than letting the series fade into the background for a few years.

That Vincent talks about dreams so much might give a hint that P5 is going to have something to do with dreams and dream psychology.

EDIT: Removed wrong/mistranslated information.

Yaweee said:
There's no rhyme or reason to how Atlus handles continuity or setting within their various SMT sub-series. There's been a tendency to do 2 games in one setting and switch, but I think that is more of a function of what has historically been almost decade-long gaps between the 2nd and 3rd games in any line of SMT games. The recent Persona series have been so succesful, however, that they're doing a new Persona game rather than letting the series fade into the background for a few years.

That Vincent talks about dreams so much might give a hint that P5 is going to have something to do with dreams and dream psychology. The little revealed information (
that Aigis is in it in some way
) pretty much says that it is going to take place some time after P3/P4.

His hair doesn't match the "anti-social" design that was talked about, so if anything he would be a supporting cast member or NPC, or from another Atlus game altogether.

I wonder if that hint in P4
about Elizabeth doing something to help the P3 protagonist
will be involved?

Yaweee

Fimbulvetr said:
I wonder if that hint in P4
about Elizabeth doing something to help the P3 protagonist
will be involved?

Probably not. Supporting cast members may tie into the plot, but the protagonist is likely not going to get any kind of mention beyond a few pronouns here or there (like how pretty much every character from P1 is in P2, except the protagonist), and maybe not even that with the gender ambiguity introduced with P3P.

Oyashiro

So, after 95 hours, I finally managed to beat P4 yesterday. I loved every minute of it, so I couldn't hold back on purchasing P3P. I dunno if I'm gonna start playing it just yet, but I definitely want to play it soon! (The fact that my friend is playing P3FES right next to me is a big contributor)

Minamu

That is so cool :O

Just reached the top floor of level 3 (I think? There was a wall around floor 90 anyway). The boss on 72 was a pushover but the one above was a whole different beast.

Also, it's a bad idea to do auto-fight against four enemies with mamudo when you don't have the advantage :lol My one and only Homunculus was used there :(

Minamu said:
That is so cool :O

Just reached the top floor of level 3 (I think? There was a wall around floor 90 anyway). The boss on 72 was a pushover but the one above was a whole different beast.

Also, it's a bad idea to do auto-fight against four enemies with mamudo when you don't have the advantage :lol My one and only Homunculus was used there :(
Eh, don't worry. There'll be a quest coming soon that'll net you 10.

Minamu

Crewnh said:
Eh, don't worry. There'll be a quest coming soon that'll net you 10.
Cool. I found two more in a rare chest one or two floors above the boss. I'm relaxing on the beach now. Well deserved.

Blueblur1

Yaweee said:
That Vincent talks about dreams so much might give a hint that P5 is going to have something to do with dreams and dream psychology.
That's a clever way of implementing another world with shadows. I'm liking this. :)

I just hope we hear something about P5 sometime within the next year. Maybe E3 2011? :p

Yaweee

chandoog said:
That dude looks way too old to star in a Persona game.

Looks about the same age as the cast of Eternal Punishment. And I'd wager that if he is from P5, that he isn't the main character. He has too much of a personality and history to be the player's character. He would more likely be a supporting cast member.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Don said:
I haven't played through the PSP version of this yet, but I just seen a screenshot of what you are talking about and now I'm curious.
It would be pretty cool if he ends up being a party member in Persona 5.

Oh yeah, I asked about him when I finished the game last week - so that is a new addition to P3P?

Yaweee

firehawk12 said:
Oh yeah, I asked about him when I finished the game last week - so that is a new addition to P3P?

Yes. There wasn't anybody sitting at the bar like that in the previous versions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
darkpaladinmfc said:
He could easily be a playable character, we've already had a little kid, a dog, and a robot :lol.

I don't really understand how it works... because in P3, the chairman says he can't use Persona because he's old... but then of course, that's completely thrown out the window in P4.

Yaweee said:
Yes. There wasn't anybody sitting at the bar like that in the previous versions.

Hah, cool. It was strange because he clearly is an allusion to something but I figured I was missing something about Persona 3.

Speaking of random stuff, here's the cut Junpei ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF6Sfb1d4f0

Yaweee

darkpaladinmfc said:
He could easily be a playable character, we've already had a little kid, a dog, and a robot :lol.

... and a detective in his late twenties, and internet rumormonger in his thirties, a twenty-something working menial jobs and getting ripped of by a con-man boyfriend, a few reporters in their twenties...

FSLink

Banned
firehawk12 said:
I don't really understand how it works... because in P3, the chairman says he can't use Persona because he's old...
Well to be fair
the chairman is a lying piece of shit.

firehawk12 said:
I don't really understand how it works... because in P3, the chairman says he can't use Persona because he's old... but then of course, that's completely thrown out the window in P4.
That's actually not why he can't wield a persona. The whole "you can't use a Persona if you're over a certain age" thing is from Trinity Soul, and dudes from Atlus have come out and said that it's not canon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I AM JOHN! said:
That's actually not why he can't wield a persona. The whole "you can't use a Persona if you're over a certain age" thing is from Trinity Soul, and dudes from Atlus have come out and said that it's not canon.

Do you remember what he actually says? I just remember something to that effect fairly early on.

firehawk12 said:
Do you remember what he actually says? I just remember something to that effect fairly early on.
He doesn't specifically say why.

I think it's probably that he doesn't have the mental will or whatever to be able to summon a Persona, but he can still experience the Dark Hour because he was there at the creation of the Dark Hour and Tartarus, kind of like Mitsuru's father and many of the other agents of the Kirijo Group.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I AM JOHN! said:
He doesn't specifically say why.

I think it's probably that he doesn't have the mental will or whatever to be able to summon a Persona, but he can still experience the Dark Hour because he was there at the creation of the Dark Hour and Tartarus, kind of like Mitsuru's father and many of the other agents of the Kirijo Group.

Hrm, alright then. Well, hell, if they can make a robot who can summon a Persona I figure anything and anyone could do it at this point.

pirata

I've been wondering what angle they could take for P5, and this "dreamscape" speculation sounds pretty cool. It would be right up the series' alley, what with the focus on psychology, and it gives the developers an excuse to include as much mindfuck as possible, which I would be a big fan of.

Yaweee

So, after Hanged Man wtfpwned me, I made an awesome Dionysus so I could resist Akasha Arts (a multi-hit strike attack). I still died in one hit, so I added a bunch of skill cards, which were probably overkill.

I'll probably be using him until I'm fusing Persona for the final boss battle. No weaknesses, four strengths, Heat Wave (all-hit Physical), Endure, Mind Charge, an all-hit level 2 spell, Ziodyne, and Sharp Student to even further reduce the odds of being crit. The Fire Break might seem odd, but I have other persona with Agidyne, and a Koromaru packing an Indra Bracer, Agidyne, and Fire Boost. That fucker hits hard!

ipmkwl.jpg

39 hours in, roughly 25~30 hours less than my time to reach this part in FES or P3.

EDIT: Oh, Vincent explicitly says he's past thirty in conversation. Is there a transcript of his dialogue anywhere?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
pirata said:
I've been wondering what angle they could take for P5, and this "dreamscape" speculation sounds pretty cool. It would be right up the series' alley, what with the focus on psychology, and it gives the developers an excuse to include as much mindfuck as possible, which I would be a big fan of.

Persona 5: Inception!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fimbulvetr said:
Persona 5 written by Chris Nolan?

Hmm....

Speaking of which, I wonder how they enter dreams; it'd be annoying for them to have to go everytime they fall asleep.

Actually, it'd be cool if they went total mindfuck and set the game within the main character's subconscious because of the whole "zero" thing. Both the party and the shadows would be aspects of the main character's personality.

Deadly

I was curious and checked out some of the cutscenes from the original and FES and man I'm really pissed I missed out on that and have to play the more "visual-novel" version of the game. The social links seem so much more entertaining and the animated cutscenes looks awesome.

suzu

I'm disappointed that the male butler outfits have crappy stats, while the female ones are awesome. :(

Also I never realized that the characters commented on relationship crap when the slink is maxed out (and on a lover's path) while you're running around in Tartarus. Found that out by accident, and got some funny lines where they argued with each other.

Wizpig

Deadly said:
I was curious and checked out some of the cutscenes from the original and FES and man I'm really pissed I missed out on that and have to play the more "visual-novel" version of the game. The social links seem so much more entertaining and the animated cutscenes looks awesome.
PSP happened.

But really, the question here is: would you play Persona 3 on the Ps2 right now? if the answer is yes; sure, you should play that version instead of being pissed off.

But some other people think the game is perfect on a portable console, and the only way to play it on a portable is P3P.

It's summer, i hate playing on home consoles, it's too hot.

Also, the social links are not that different.
The other cutscenes are.

Yaweee

suzu said:
Also I never realized that the characters commented on relationship crap when the slink is maxed out (and on a lover's path) while you're running around in Tartarus. Found that out by accident, and got some funny lines where they argued with each other.

That was added in FES (or at least many more lines were), as talking to them in the previous versions was used to change their equipment, etc. They change things regularly; at least once a month or more depending on S. Links.

Middle of November, finally maxed the last of my social stats, and a few ranks away from maxing Ken's S. Link. There's 5 night S. Links with MShe, not 6 like I had first thought. Still, I wish there was even more of a night phase crunch like there was in P4. It's a huge improvement over P3 or FES but could be better.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
suzu said:
I'm disappointed that the male butler outfits have crappy stats, while the female ones are awesome. :(

Yeah, that happens in P4 as well... although they never really catch on. :lol

Yaweee

Wizpig said:
But really, the question here is: would you play Persona 3 on the Ps2 right now? if the answer is yes; sure, you should play that version instead of being pissed off.

But really, the question here is: Do you really want the game to be 30-40 hours longer, with considerably worse pacing and slower game speed? If the answer is yes; sure, you should play that version instead of being pissed off.

Forkball

A little off topic, but does anyone think there will be a Persona 4 portable? Many consider it to be head and shoulders above P3, so I'm wondering why P3 gets so many editions while P4 is kind of left out.

Yaweee said:
But really, the question here is: Do you really want the game to be 30-40 hours longer, with considerably worse pacing and slower game speed? If the answer is yes; sure, you should play that version instead of being pissed off.
I fail to see how pacing problems core to the game's story and setting somehow become better when you make the game a little bit faster and strip out the atmosphere.

Forkball said:
A little off topic, but does anyone think there will be a Persona 4 portable? Many consider it to be head and shoulders above P3, so I'm wondering why P3 gets so many editions while P4 is kind of left out.
You cannot improve perfection.

But dammit, I'm sure they'll try. :(

Deadly

Wizpig said:
PSP happened.

But some other people think the game is perfect on a portable console, and the only way to play it on a portable is P3P.

It's summer, i hate playing on home consoles, it's too hot.

Also, the social links are not that different.
The other cutscenes are.
Ok I guess I should rephrase myself, pissed might have been too much of a word. I'm more like disappointed in myself for not buying the game when FES came out. Sure I'd rather have animated cutscenes and whatever it had but the portable version is still great.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Forkball said:

because those many are dead wrong, & p3 is positively the better of the 2? :) ...

actually, i'd be dumbfounded if p4p isn't in the works right now, & isn't available (in japan, anyway) next year...

firehawk12 said:
They could add skill cards. :lol
Yes I agree, they should add a kind of broken element to an otherwise fine game and fuck with it.

It's fine in P3P because Game Panic already breaks the game.

semiconscious

Gold Member
I AM JOHN! said:
I fail to see how pacing problems core to the game's story and setting somehow become better when you make the game a little bit faster and strip out the atmosphere.

agreed. p3p was a great way to re-experience the game, but the ps2 version's the definitive experience, & the laid-back pacing's part of the reason why. it all felt of a piece to me...

i mean, what's the rush? - in for 80 hrs, in for 100 :) ...

Yaweee

I AM JOHN! said:

Instead of 7-10 hours between major plot events, it is 4-7 hours, most of which is trimmed from the non-Tartarus portions of the game. I really hated how long there was between major story events in both P3/P4, and how infrequently it was necessary to do dungeon exploration and combat.

Making the game significantly tighter is an improvement to the pacing.

Top Bottom