• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

rocK`

Banned
Sipowicz said:
wait. do you have to register each persona you fuse?

i though it just got added to the compendium automatically

Yeah -- I don't get this either.

I also wish there was a map of Persona's [maybe there is?] so I can actually hunt for good elemental/light/dark/healing persona's or fuse up to them.

Oyashiro

Beat Normal with the male MC a few days ago and I thought the game was really great. I'm starting a new game + now, female Hard mode. I thought maxed S. Links carried over, but I guess not? Also, how do you guys get those maid outfits? The only alternate outfit I ever got was Battle Panties for Mitsuru. I had an all-guys team in my first playthrough, so I wanna do all-girls in this one.

jcm

Sipowicz said:
wait. do you have to register each persona you fuse?

i though it just got added to the compendium automatically

They all get added automatically, at the level they had when you acquired them. You need to register them if you want the compendium to reflect they levels and skills they gained while you use them.

rocK` said:
Yeah -- I don't get this either.

I also wish there was a map of Persona's [maybe there is?] so I can actually hunt for good elemental/light/dark/healing persona's or fuse up to them.

Here's a good fusion recipe FAQ, and here's a good persona skill database.

Oyashiro said:
Beat Normal with the male MC a few days ago and I thought the game was really great. I'm starting a new game + now, female Hard mode. I thought maxed S. Links carried over, but I guess not? Also, how do you guys get those maid outfits? The only alternate outfit I ever got was Battle Panties for Mitsuru. I had an all-guys team in my first playthrough, so I wanna do all-girls in this one.

They are rewards for Elizabeth quests. Here's a good Elizabeth request FAQ.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Okay, so....

my only experience with Persona is P4. Should I get this or P3:FES?

Whatever, this question's in the OP. HOWEVER: Should I play guy or girl in my first playthrough? I wanna date the girls, but I actually like playing as a girl sometimes. Can the girl date the other girls?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, no yuri fantasies for you. :lol

I think the stories are comparable, so pick what you like. Either way, you end up as a super pimp who has the guys/girls falling over you.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
firehawk12 said:
No, no yuri fantasies for you. :lol

I think the stories are comparable, so pick what you like. Either way, you end up as a super pimp who has the guys/girls falling over you.

I really don't wanna buy the same game twice. Yeah, I know, extra content and different gameplay mechanics, but I find it a chore to replay JRPGs where the plot is the main driving force.

Yaweee

Regulus Tera said:
Okay, so....

my only experience with Persona is P4. Should I get this or P3:FES?

Whatever, this question's in the OP. HOWEVER: Should I play guy or girl in my first playthrough? I wanna date the girls, but I actually like playing as a girl sometimes. Can the girl date the other girls?

I'd recommend the girl for your first playthrough, if only because the S. Links are better spread throughout the daytime and nighttime phases.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regulus Tera said:
I really don't wanna buy the same game twice. Yeah, I know, extra content and different gameplay mechanics, but I find it a chore to replay JRPGs where the plot is the main driving force.

Beginner is perfect for you if you just want to breeze through it. I probably could have finished in 20-30 hours if I didn't care about fusing.

Hazmat

I'm only in July, but I'm wondering, does unlocking
Monad
have the same requirement as in FES?

I beat FES, but I think this version might be even better. The female MC is awesome, all the changes are exactly the twists I want for all my other favorite RPGs...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I decided to play the girl just as I did the main character in Persona 4: a man-slut.

Except that now, she's just a slut. Now I feel bad for her.

Yama

Oyashiro said:
Take the quest 'Bring me a Sengoku-era helm' for the MC's sexy Maid Outfit.

Currently around LV95 in early January, playing around in Monad some. Milking every bit out of it. Probably will pop in The Answer (PS2) after, it's been great going through P3 again.

I'm only in July, but I'm wondering, does unlocking Monad have the same requirement as in FES?

Reach the top and beat the Reaper, completing Elizabeth's quest for the bloody button. Once she gives you your reward (5,000,000 yen) the door will unlock.

braves01

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I decided to play the girl just as I did the main character in Persona 4: a man-slut.

Except that now, she's just a slut. Now I feel bad for her.
:lol :lol

When I finally get some free time to play this, I'll try not to slut it up
too much.

Minamu

Can someone please explain what I'm supposed to do with the items I get from Elizabeth (and when I max out a slink?) that gives me a high-leveled powerful Persona?

Bah, messed up the first exams. I'm cheating next time.

Regulus Tera said:
Is it normal for me to reach floor ten on my first day of Tartarus exploration?

Persona 4 wasn't this easy.

Just finish the whole block in a day. That's what I've been doing. I hate losing a day of s linking and stat building if I don't need to.

Giolon

Regulus Tera said:

Now that tiredness isn't updated on the fly, that's perfectly normal sounding to me.

Difficulty really only tends to go up after passing a barrier.

Regulus Tera said:

Persona 4 apparently had a ridiculously front-loaded difficulty curve. I say "apparently", because I found it too hard to beat
Kenji's Persona
:(

jcm

Minamu said:
Can someone please explain what I'm supposed to do with the items I get from Elizabeth (and when I max out a slink?) that gives me a high-leveled powerful Persona?

Just have the item in your inventory, and then you'll be able to fuse the persona. You don't have to do anything special with it.

Minamu

jcm said:
Just have the item in your inventory, and then you'll be able to fuse the persona. You don't have to do anything special with it.
Aah, that easy huh? I thought I had to eat them or bring them to the persona weapons store or something. Thanks :D

Yaweee

Tranced Shadow said:
Persona 4 apparently had a ridiculously front-loaded difficulty curve. I say "apparently", because I found it too hard to beat
Kenji's Persona
:(

I completely agree. The second dungeon boss in P4 is easily the hardest in the game, and (as in many of the SMT games), enemies hit for a larger % of your health in the first few areas. After the first half, the difficulty dropped off tremendously.

As for P3, it was (and likely still is) one of the easiest SMT games released in the US. Of the ones I've played, I'd only list Raidou 1 as easier. Anybody with any SMT experience should pick Hard unless you're going only for the story.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
so... I just beat the grim reaper dude and... now what? I got a lot of exps and whatnot, but nobody popped up being all like 'omg u just killed the optional boss - take this reward' so is he just there if I want to grind more exps at a time? I thought I would get something cool damn it. :mad:

Also, I'm closing in on new years eve and I'm only 7 or so with akihiko, do I have time to max it or is it a lost cause? I only recently got into mitsuru so I doubt I'll be able to get her very far... :\

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so... I just beat the grim reaper dude and... now what? I got a lot of exps and whatnot, but nobody popped up being all like 'omg u just killed the optional boss - take this reward' so is he just there if I want to grind more exps at a time? I thought I would get something cool damn it. :mad:

I'm pretty sure it's one of those Eliz/Theo requests too to kill him, you'll probably get something sweet from them.

Yaweee

Brobzoid said:

Also, I'm closing in on new years eve and I'm only 7 or so with akihiko, do I have time to max it or is it a lost cause? I only recently got into mitsuru so I doubt I'll be able to get her very far... :\

You have another month.

The quest to unlock the bonus area (which requires killing the reaper) doesn't unlock until the final month.

This is my first persona game... always liked the series for what it was doing but I can't seem to get into P3P >_<

I'm very early on in the game (finished very first dungeon floor)... does it pick up? I want it to but it has yet to grab me at all... :(

Brobzoid

ok. so Elizabeth just got in on the fun with her own door, is that the grim reaper reward? And what happens when I pull a Death card? Does it spawn Grim Reaper: The Grimmering?

I've run into a wall with P3P. Well, I ran into a few weeks back but still cannot get past it. I am about 20 hours in and up to the
Heirophant Boss fight

For the love of god, I just cannot beat him (I am well aware that I suck at RPG's :lol ). It makes me want to not play it anymore, but I don't want to stop because the game is soooooo good.

Yaweee

Samurai Penguin said:
I've run into a wall with P3P. Well, I ran into a few weeks back but still cannot get past it. I am about 20 hours in and up to the
Heirophant Boss fight

For the love of god, I just cannot beat him (I am well aware that I suck at RPG's :lol ). It makes me want to not play it anymore, but I don't want to stop because the game is soooooo good.

Gain a few more levels. You're likely at the level range where just gaining 3~4 levels is going to make huge dents in how much damage you receive and a boost to how much damage you deal.

My character is level 22, with Yukari 19, Junpei 18, Mitsuru 22, and Akihiko 22. What's the recommended level I should be for said boss fight? I'll try and grind a few more levels and see how I go.

Yaweee

Samurai Penguin said:
My character is level 22, with Yukari 19, Junpei 18, Mitsuru 22, and Akihiko 22. What's the recommended level I should be for said boss fight? I'll try and grind a few more levels and see how I go.

Did you make it to the barrier in Tartarus for the month?

daemonic

Banned
Samurai Penguin said:
Heirophant Boss fight

Sukunda the boss, Tarukaja the main character and use Getsu-ei. If you're at a decent level this should work. Don't include Yukari in your party as she's weak to zio attacks, which gives the boss another turn. Use Mitsuru instead. Good luck!

rocK`

Banned
Ok guys, I'd like a quick answer but not sure I'll get one.

Is it possible to use weapons other than the one-handed sword?? I have options to fuse awesome weapons, but nothing in the one-handed department.

Uncle AJ

rocK` said:
Ok guys, I'd like a quick answer but not sure I'll get one.

Is it possible to use weapons other than the one-handed sword?? I have options to fuse awesome weapons, but nothing in the one-handed department.

Nope, 1h swords only in P3P. Female MC can only use her bow/staff type weapon, but I'm pretty sure that's not the same as Ken's spears.

There are certain weapon fusions, however, that will always produce a specific class of weapon, no matter which class of weapon you start with. If you use a Nihil Bow or Nihil Axe with a Cu Chulainn, the result will always be his unique wind-damage Spear.

demonix69 said:
Sukunda the boss, Tarukaja the main character and use Getsu-ei. If you're at a decent level this should work. Don't include Yukari in your party as she's weak to zio attacks, which gives the boss another turn. Use Mitsuru instead. Good luck!

Sadly I don't seem to have Getsu-ei. I can't dismiss Yukari either because she refuses to not be included in this mission.

I almost had him beat today, but that damn spell he uses, Prophecy of Ruin (it's the massive AoE spell he uses on all your party) wtfpwned me.

mileS

So we finally find out what that man drinking alone is about.

I really need to get back to this game. 25 hours in and I haven't played it for 2 weeks.. I did the same thing for Persona 4 but that was 40 hours in and for some reason I didn't come back and beat it until 6 months later.

Minamu

mileS said:
So we finally find out what that man drinking alone is about.
We did? Oh yeah, Catherine. Alright.

Is there a point in Fuuka/Mitsuru telling me what Arcana a boss is? Does that help me in any way? :S

ultron87

Minamu said:
Is there a point in Fuuka/Mitsuru telling me what Arcana a boss is? Does that help me in any way? :S

Strong against *INSERT ARCANA HERE* is a weapon effect on some stuff. I don't know how much of a difference it makes really.

And you can sometimes kind of guess what they are going to do from their Arcana. IE a Strength is probably going to favor physical attacks.

Minamu

ultron87 said:
Strong against *INSERT ARCANA HERE* is a weapon effect on some stuff. I don't know how much of a difference it makes really.

And you can sometimes kind of guess what they are going to do from their Arcana. IE a Strength is probably going to favor physical attacks.
Okay :) Seems a bit meaningless then. A lot of the Arcana name doesn't have a clear indication what they mean. I mean, Hanged, there's no feasible way you could derive a tactic from that name :) I'm not much of an experimenter either. I'd rather just go to gamefaqs for strats if I get stuck :lol

Brobzoid

Started new game + with a dude on normal. Everything being blue is jarring. I'm usually pretty damn stupid in RPGs, so I just realized that the school council is actually two seperate s.links that I completely missed my first time through. No wonder I had so many days where shit didn't happen.... :| (still not as bad as going through Demon's Souls without realizing that you could learn magic. herp derp)

I'm really digging how the s.links seem to be completely different though. Like how Kenji is suddenly someone and I can hang with Kaz and Yoko now, etc.

Can I just play the MMO during the day? my academics are maxed out already so there really isn't anything else to do at the table. :\

Yaweee

Brobzoid said:
Started new game + with a dude on normal. Everything being blue is jarring. I'm usually pretty damn stupid in RPGs, so I just realized that the school council is actually two seperate s.links that I completely missed my first time through. No wonder I had so many days where shit didn't happen.... :| (still not as bad as going through Demon's Souls without realizing that you could learn magic. herp derp)

I'm really digging how the s.links seem to be completely different though. Like how Kenji is suddenly someone and I can hang with Kaz and Yoko now, etc.

Can I just play the MMO during the day? my academics are maxed out already so there really isn't anything else to do at the table. :\

Chihiro, the student council treasurer, isn't in the MShe's side. Her arcana is Justice, which is replaced by Ken.

MMO is only on days off (Sundays and holidays), basically. Everything is kind of borked because you started with maxed social stats, but the general structure and spread of the MC's S. Links (what days they are, day/night, etc.) isn't nearly as good.

mauaus

Just finished it yesterday, it was my first Persona Game, i loved the overall experience but i do feel like it drags at times. Ill be getting 4 soon after Ys Seven.:D

Top Bottom