• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I spammed the arcade for stats. But sometimes the movies will have courage/knowledge marathons that "greatly increase". The movies is also nice because you can check the listings without committing unlike the arcade.

The only stat I have left to boost is the last point in courage. I'm kinda pissy that after I got up to genius, I've never seen the S.Link that requires that stat again. The same with Akihiko - he's never around anymore ;_;

Brobzoid said:
I spammed the arcade for stats. But sometimes the movies will have courage/knowledge marathons that "greatly increase". The movies is also nice because you can check the listings without committing unlike the arcade.

The only stat I have left to boost is the last point in courage. I'm kinda pissy that after I got up to genius, I've never seen the S.Link that requires that stat again. The same with Akihiko - he's never around anymore ;_;

You can back out of the arcade at the listings without time progressing. I did so several times.

One thing that I found was good for boosting Courage was Wild-duck Burger in the strip mall. It's not open every day, but it's 500 Yen for a great Courage increase.

Brobzoid

Oh, it asks you if you want to "stay until midnight" before it shows you the games so I assumed it didn't let you leave.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^
Yeah, you just say you don't want to stay and that's it.

Yaweee said:
As for P4P, the animations/direction/blocking were generally much better than P3, so it would lose more in the transition. There's also not as much room for improvement as there was for P3's gameplay. I'd prefer they wait until after P5 is out if they really insist on doing it.

I'll just say that Ken is still weird as a romance for the MShe. Given that they basically have two other guys tell her that they love her but then back off, I'm not sure why they had to let you go all "pedo" with Ken. I guess it's meant to be charming, but clearly you're not just humoring him if you go that route. Sadly, I missed the Akihiko/Ken love triangle stuff though. :lol

As for P4P - if they slipped in a P5 foreshadowing in P3, there's no reason why they can't use P4P as a direct vehicle to lead into P5. They could just change up the ending again or do something else entirely.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I never really encountered a problem simply because I was using a guide.

Cheap, maybe, but I got my Max S-links without worrying about it. :lol

Yaweee

darkjedi187 said:
First time with a persona game and I think i'm doing ok with my s-links. I'm in mid july and have 4 at about 7 and most others at 4.

Start maxing them out. No need to spread the love around, as scheduling irregularities will fuck you near the end so you might end up with a bunch at 8 or 9 like I did in this playthrough.

Yaweee said:
Start maxing them out. No need to spread the love around, as scheduling irregularities will fuck you near the end so you might end up with a bunch at 8 or 9 like I did in this playthrough.

Thanks for the advice.

mugwhump

Sipowicz said:
what's the best way to raise courage and charm?

is it an arcade game?
Let's see... working at the coffee shop/theater will raise charm+courage/charm+academics.
Going to the nurse's office whenever you're tired gives a free courage boost.
The arcade schedule is charm->courage->academics->charm->courage->academics starting from monday, so that's easy to remember, and it gives a big boost.

If you're willing to use up your daytime phase, all the restaurants seem to give "great" boosts. Leaving a shrine offering when you're feeling great is the cheapest way to get a great academics boost.

Minamu

When is the earliest time to make a tower persona? I think my tower slink is at 8 or 9 already and I have never had a matching persona with me :lol

Sipowicz

Banned
this game is class. best rpg i've played in years

what social links would you guys reccomend maxing out? there's about 50 of them and there's no way i can max them all out

also, do you get more people on the team? i've got 4 at the moment but if there's any more i'm thinking i'll have to kick someone out

Yaweee

Sipowicz said:
this game is class. best rpg i've played in years

what social links would you guys reccomend maxing out? there's about 50 of them and there's no way i can max them all out

also, do you get more people on the team? i've got 4 at the moment but if there's any more i'm thinking i'll have to kick someone out

You're still at the very beginning. There are many more party members that will join you.

Which S. Links you do doesn't really matter. Do the plots and characters that you like, but I do recommend finishing Emperor (Student Council), as his ultimate persona (Odin) is the only truly noteworthy one that is unlocked by maxing a S. Links.

Lain

There is something that is annoying me to no end, and that is getting the message "Installation data could not be loaded" every time I resume playing from sleep mode.
Is there a way to fix this except going into the options every single time?

Yaweee

Lain said:
There is something that is annoying me to no end, and that is getting the message "Installation data could not be loaded" every time I resume playing from sleep mode.
Is there a way to fix this except going into the options every single time?

Nope. It really sucks. Other games (MGS PW, I think) do a prompt to re-enable if it fails. P3P forces you to go back into the options, though.

Lain

Yaweee said:
Nope. It really sucks. Other games (MGS PW, I think) do a prompt to re-enable if it fails. P3P forces you to go back into the options, though.

That sucks =(
Well, apart from that (and the presentation thing), I'm loving this PSP iteration.
I can stay in Tartarus as much as I want grinding! Although I have encountered Death so many times, unlike on the PS2 where he found me only a couple of times.

Jigsaw

Banned
i'm 15 hours into the game i think this might be my favourite iteration of p3,especially because the female side feels like an entire new game with all the additional s-links and tartarus is fun now without getting fatigued every few floors,i can finally kill every shadow i encounter instead of sneaking through the floors until reaching the next teleporter to start grinding

and battle panties are always win
battlepantiessgk1.png

Curufinwe

I'm near the end of June and have already maxed out Devil, and the two new school-based S.Links for the female, Chariot and Hermit. Since they're brand new I've been concentrating on them as much as possible.

Level 9 for Hermit was awesome, and awesomely long.

Brobzoid

I'm level 47 and I want to fuse a 53 Thor :( Is there a way to fuse a lower level Thor? I'm lvl10 in chariot so he's gonna blow up anyway...

Grinding is a little more fun when you use your secondary team though, half of my dudes are like, in the 25~ so they level after every other fight in the forth block. :p

rocK`

Banned
Enjoying this game, almost done with September. Am I the only one who rushes through Tartarus [like as soon as it's unlocked], because I'm more interested in s.links/story than the tedious levels of Tartarus.

Also, I had so many troubles with the floor
boss, but then I made a few changes to my team and had no issues. Funny how that works..

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So, I'm about five, maybe ten hours in, is this it?

Does the game kind of change up much further in or is it basically visual novel, visual novel, visual novel, dungeon crawl, repeat?

ultron87

rocK` said:
Also, I had so many troubles with the floor
boss, but then I made a few changes to my team and had no issues. Funny how that works..

That's the table boss right?

I just beat that in FES, that was awful.
I only beat him because he decided to not cast Megidola every other turn and stuck to Maragidyne. My Sati (null fire), Junpei, and Koromaru were able to handle that pretty easily.

Yaweee

Princess Skittles said:
Hmm, can you explain further?

He is joking. The game keeps the regular mix of story and Tartarus through most of the game. The % of your time you'll spend fighting and dungeon crawling is higher than it was in the original releases due to how much faster the story/town/exploration portions go.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Yaweee said:
He is joking. The game keeps the regular mix of story and Tartarus through most of the game. The % of your time you'll spend fighting and dungeon crawling is higher than it was in the original releases due to how much faster the story/town/exploration portions go.
So I'm guessing the social-link stuff is the main draw to the game?

The dungeon stuff is okay/good but I'm kind of feeling that if I'm primarily just enjoying that part, I should probably move over to Strange Journey?

rocK`

Banned
ultron87 said:
That's the table boss right?

I just beat that in FES, that was awful.
I only beat him because he decided to not cast Megidola every other turn and stuck to Maragidyne. My Sati (null fire), Junpei, and Koromaru were able to handle that pretty easily.

Yup, I did something similar (instead fused a stronger Devil persona that was null fire). This seemed to be a simple 'do you have mediarama?' fight. Ken had learned that, so I brought him with Akihiko and Koromaru to destroy the boss.

Weird thing is, my MC crit every single auto attack...

inner-G

Banned
After putting quite a few hours into this, I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like it with all the stuff cut out. I think I'm going to call it quits and start up DQIX.

Only having portraits talking, no cutscenes, etc just ruins the atmosphere and story for me. The speed of gameplay is nice, but not worth the cuts imo.

rocK`

Banned
Oh, question.

What is the song name on the title screen? The one where you can load/data config, etc. Not the anime intro, but right before you start a new game / load a game. It's all piano, I think.

Can't find it on the youtubez. Is it new to P3P?

Brobzoid

Got myself a Thor! \o/

...but in my mad dash to fuse him I forgot to register the dudes I used to fuse. ;_;

Also, I don't like how the other character's skills are overwritten. Usually it's like 'bufula' replaces 'bufu' - but sometimes it took away stuff that the replacement didn't improve on. There is also the fact that having a low level elemental attack is a valid way of conserving sps... :\

Yaweee

Brobzoid said:
Got myself a Thor! \o/

...but in my mad dash to fuse him I forgot to register the dudes I used to fuse. ;_;

Also, I don't like how the other character's skills are overwritten. Usually it's like 'bufula' replaces 'bufu' - but sometimes it took away stuff that the replacement didn't improve on. There is also the fact that having a low level elemental attack is a valid way of conserving sps... :\

There's only a few instances where one skill doesn't replace the obvious choice, and most of those circumstances are replacing another mostly-redundant skill that was obsoleted before the skill limit was reached, so it wasn't overwritten when it should have been.

SP conservation is pretty much a non-issue, except when healing gets expensive in the final few months.

ultron87

Something finally happened in the plot!

October 4th Full Moon:
So Shinji died due to cutscene vulnerability. That was (as the game says very matter of factly) unexpected. I guess it kind of sucks, but he was also kind of a dick. I did kind of enjoy his recording on the control room console where he is pretending to not be learning how to cook and gets ratted out by the dog.

If they actually wanted me to be affected by a party member's death they probably should've gone with someone who'd been around a little longer. Or been a total bastard and killed the dog (<3 Koro-Chan).

So I just played through this on FES, how do they show this scene in Portable with only talking heads? It seems like it would lose the little dramatic impact it had.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is the police station the only place to buy weapons? I cleaned him out and my money's piling up with nothing to upgrade to.

rocK`

Banned
ultron87 said:

October 4th Full Moon:
So Shinji died due to cutscene vulnerability. That was (as the game says very matter of factly) unexpected. I guess it kind of sucks, but he was also kind of a dick. I did kind of enjoy his recording on the control room console where he is pretending to not be learning how to cook and gets ratted out by the dog.

If they actually wanted me to be affected by a party member's death they probably should've gone with someone who'd been around a little longer. Or been a total bastard and killed the dog (<3 Koro-Chan).

So I just played through this on FES, how do they show this scene in Portable with only talking heads? It seems like it would lose the little dramatic impact it had.

Not well, sadly.
they narrate what's going on: "Shinjiro is sitting over Ken's body with two bullets in his chest"

It was kind of lame.

TBH, the ability to jump from place to place [pressing square and going to the mall or w/e] might not supersede the lack of 'emotion' you get with actual 3d models acting out what they are saying.

i dunno.

either way, I played through that scene last night ^_^;;

Yaweee

ultron87 said:

October 4th Full Moon:

In P3P MShe's side:
Shinji is a much better developed character due to his (rather nice) S. Link

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rocK` said:
Not well, sadly.
they narrate what's going on: "Shinjiro is sitting over Ken's body with two bullets in his chest"

It was kind of lame.

TBH, the ability to jump from place to place [pressing square and going to the mall or w/e] might not supersede the lack of 'emotion' you get with actual 3d models acting out what they are saying.

i dunno.

either way, I played through that scene last night ^_^;;

Yeah. Of course, as a girl
he doesn't even die and rushes to your side

mattiewheels said:
Is the police station the only place to buy weapons? I cleaned him out and my money's piling up with nothing to upgrade to.

You need to go to the Antique Shop to get more powerful fusion weapons.

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm a bit burned atm. Just finishing DEC and I'm having a bit hard time convincing myself to continue Tartarus grinding once again :/

Top Bottom