• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

warpaint

I've been putting of playing this for about 8 months now and i don't know why i put of playing this am about 7 hours into and i love it

bengraven

I'm almost ashamed to admit I'm posting here. As a mainly WRPG gamer, I don't know what made me pick this up with a stack of games for my PSP this weekend at a local sale, but I did.

And I can't fucking put it down.

And now I'm also angry that with the impending death of the PSP over the NGP, we are likely never going to see P4P.

Thank God that P2P is coming out though: I played that game for a few hours on the original Playstation and really liked it, but didn't get a chance to pick it back up.

cj_iwakura

OP keeps making me think about P3F winding up pregnant due to social link shenanigans.

Wouldn't that be a battle handicap.

(Apparently she is quite the playerette...)

I would really like to play through this again. It was the first JRPG that really engrossed me.

Looking back I see that I missed a lot of interesting social links. I'll have to carve out some time to get back at it.

OP keeps making me think about P3F winding up pregnant due to social link shenanigans.

Wouldn't that be a battle handicap.

(Apparently she is quite the playerette...)

Heh... I have a feeling it wouldn't matter.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Infinite Justice said:
Need to get back to this one day. :(

stopped at the beginning of September.

Oh my god. You almost reached the best part. Just play until January. A minute into January 1st, you will realize that Persona 3 is one of the best experiences you will have in your entire life.

Ourobolus

Banned
Gah, finally beat P3P after months of putting it off. I beat P3 Vanilla and The Answer before, but this was the first time playing through The Journey with all of the new stuff. I played as MShe on Hard Mode and was way overlevelled at the end (beat Nyx in about 20 minutes rather than the 2.5 hours it took me during P3), but all in all I had a great time again.

Almost maxed the S. Links too. DAMMIT. I maxed everything but Yukari, and she was level 8.
Sigh.

panda21

so this just got released in europe, am loving it so far.

i was a bit confused by the difficulty selection, i chose normal but easy said something about being able to continue 5 times if you die.

does that mean if you lose in a battle on normal, you can't just reload a save and try again, you have to start the whole game over?? that seems crazy.

panda21 said:

i was a bit confused by the difficulty selection, i chose normal but easy said something about being able to continue 5 times if you die.

does that mean if you lose in a battle on normal, you can't just reload a save and try again, you have to start the whole game over?? that seems crazy.

I thought it was kind of unnecessary since before most boss fights you can save before the boss.

OMG Aero

panda21 said:

If you die on any difficulty above easy then you get a game over and have to start from your last save. When easy mode says you get to continue, it means you can restart the battle you lost instead of having to go back to whenever you last saved.

The retries let you restart from the beginning of the battle, whereas you need to reload you save on any other difficulty. It's not that hard on Nomal, though, so only go Easy if you want to breeze through the story.

Guess I should update the OP now that it's out in Europe or something.

panda21

oh i see, cool, thanks. i was kind of confused by the wording of it, it sounded like they were saying you could only continue playing after dying if you played on easy.

theres a collectors edition (the only edition?) for europe that comes with an artbook, a poster and 6 art cards.

panda21

Sorry to bump this again but I'm worried I'm doing it wrong...

Just went to the tower thing for the first time and it told me i should go as far as I could, then after a while started saying something about people being tired, but then also later said I should go as far as I could. So I just kept going up to the barrier on level 15, but then the next day i am now tired and sick.

Are you supposed to stop when you get the message about being tired? I was kind of worried about not going far enough because afaik you only get a limited number of days to complete the game.

panda21 said:

Just went to the tower thing for the first time and it told me i should go as far as I could, then after a while started saying something about people being tired, but then also later said I should go as far as I could. So I just kept going up to the barrier on level 15, but then the next day i am now tired and sick.

Are you supposed to stop when you get the message about being tired? I was kind of worried about not going far enough because afaik you only get a limited number of days to complete the game.

You have plenty of time to completely explore Tartarus before the games ends; I usually just went as far into Tartarus as I could on days that characters werent tired, for example, on the first time, as you did, I kept going all the way to the barrier, then advanced. It took a while before characters were not tired.

You dont have to stop when Mitsuru senpei mentions that they are tired.

Giolon

panda21 said:

So, this is something that was changed in P3P but the dialogue wasn't really updated. In the original(s), you would progressively get tired the more time you spent in Tartarus and your status would update immediately. When you're tired or sick, you do something like half damage and take double damage. Those warnings were very important to help prevent you from getting your ass kicked.

However, in the P3P edition, while your fatigue still accumulates while you're in Tartarus, it doesn't take effect until you leave the tower. This means that you're free to explore Tartarus as long as you like w/o much repercussion.

I'm about ten hours in. As someone with very little JRPG experience, was it a mistake playing on Normal? I don't mind a bit of grinding, it's the difficulty spikes I'm worried about.

Crimson Clown said:
I'm about ten hours in. As someone with very little JRPG experience, was it a mistake playing on Normal? I don't mind a bit of grinding, it's the difficulty spikes I'm worried about.
I found pretty tolerable. It was my first JRPG I played without a guide. If you stay on top of keeping some healing items and making sure to generate the best persona. Final Boss though, good luck.

Dedication Through Light said:
I found pretty tolerable. It was my first JRPG I played without a guide. If you stay on top of keeping some healing items and making sure to generate the best persona. Final Boss though, good luck.

Ok, there's some hope for me yet then.

One more question: Do you still gain EXP when you send party members off to fight on their own?

Dedication Through Light said:

Final boss is easy w/ a little trick XP

Kazzy

deim0s said:
TrickXP?

If it ain't game breaking, do share.

I'm guessing you mean Monad?

Its an optional dungeon where you get XP by the truckload, it only opens after you have reached the top floor of Tartarus and took the quest to defeat the Reaper.

It opens once you have done both of those, it appears as a new door in hub area at the bottom of Tartarus. It originally appeared as soon as you scaled all the floors but FES and P3P tacked on the Reaper requirement along with it.

There is also a trick to defeating the Reaper if you find yourself overwhelmed, you shouldn't have any trouble finding that either with a quick search.

Wow Im kind of tempted to pick the game up and play the female story, I need some JRPG fix soon. Ive been just laying the hyper extended versions on youtube. I love the final battle of the game and the music, well the entire soundtrack.

Foffy

Banned
As someone who has the FES version, what are the noticeable extras or changes the PSP version has?

I know it's missing the extra FES episode, so I know it's missing something..:p

Foffy said:
As someone who has the FES version, what are the noticeable extras or changes the PSP version has?

Off the top of my head, it has a female main character now, which also means new social links on her end.

There are also new personas that help bridge level gaps in certain arcanas.

The game is presented now in a visual novel format, and you explore the world through looking over and just selecting what to do, so no more walking around.

I think there are more costumes now, but I don't remember.

Foffy said:

Including what dakkumauji said, from what I remember:

-you can control all the characters in battle
-fusion spells are now relegated to items
-I think for the male character some of the Sunday dates are different
-Characters don't get tired in Tartarus, only when you leave, and you don't get SP back at the entrance
-The jewelry shop is now the healing place if you get tired
-You can take a part time job as either protag
-NPC's can go missing in Tartarus and you can search for them for rewards
-You can talk to your party in Tartarus (not big, but can be amusing if you have the right combinations of characters and social link levels)
-If you're dating someone, the max social link event is now fully voiced, as well as the christmas date!
-At the end, on a new game plus only
you can get a scene on the rooftop with your lover instead of with Aigis
-Some new costumes like tuxedos for the guys and christmas outfits for the chicks
-An extra save point in the classroom (real handy)
-better user interface (don't have to talk to people to equip them)
-new difficulty modes (beginner and ultra-hard)
-Persona 4 cameos (won't say who)
-Characters can now take mortal blows for you
-a new vision quest with some really hard battles and
margaret

thats about all I can think of. I highly recommend P3P even if you've played FES. It felt surprisingly fresh in the female's campaign, and definitely worth another playthrough

Icicle

I don't own P3P or even a PSP, but I adored FES quite a bit. Due to not owning said PSP, I suppose I didn't really pay close attention to all of the changes made in this version, including the new songs Meguro did. In the past few days, all I've been listening to are the MShe tracks! Although battling with Yukari, Mitsuru, and Junpei at my side without hearing Mass Destruction seems so...wrong.

Murkas

Carried on my save file yesterday after not remembering why I stopped.

Then I remembered, FeMC, got the moon SL to rank 9 and then..... :(

Also I just noticed I never used a Persona spell fusion, I don't even remember if it's in this one (Female anyway). Now how am I going to armageddon the last boss :(

Tamanon

Banned
Murkas said:
Carried on my save file yesterday after not remembering why I stopped.

Then I remembered, FeMC, got the moon SL to rank 9 and then..... :(

Also I just noticed I never used a Persona spell fusion, I don't even remember if it's in this one (Female anyway). Now how am I going to armageddon the last boss :(

The old fusions aren't in it. They've been replaced by one-use items that do the fusion.

I miss the fusions, although it did mean I kept an Orpheus for way too long into the game.

Murkas

Tamanon said:
The old fusions aren't in it. They've been replaced by one-use items that do the fusion.

I miss the fusions, although it did mean I kept an Orpheus for way too long into the game.

But armageddon :(

So now I'm gonna have to use my brain and stuff to fight!?

Weird question but, whenever I want to get into the series, should I play this before Persona 2 Portable launches or wait and play that first instead? How long are they? Boy or girl side? :D

I'm pretty lost because all I've played is some hours of Devil Survivor but now my DS is dead so...

Nix

Banned
Risk Breaker said:
Weird question but, whenever I want to get into the series, should I play this before Persona 2 Portable launches or wait and play that first instead? How long are they? Boy or girl side? :D

I'm pretty lost because all I've played is some hours of Devil Survivor but now my DS is dead so...

They're not really related to each other at all, although you may get some satisfaction from playing 3 and then 4 for a character re-occurence. You can play boy or girl. I played as boy, and it was awesome because I basically bagged every girl except Mitsuru (Lv 5, last day, gave up), but the battle system may take some time to get used to. Just remember, it is really important to analyze your opponent. Really important.

I'd say get this first though, before Persona 2, and then play them as games of the same Genre, but different in structure; because they really are different in how they perform. You may have trouble going directly from 3 to 2, but I think you'll enjoy it alot more if you play 3 first.

Nix said:
They're not really related to each other at all, although you may get some satisfaction from playing 3 and then 4 for a character re-occurence. You can play boy or girl. I played as boy, and it was awesome because I basically bagged every girl except Mitsuru (Lv 5, last day, gave up), but the battle system may take some time to get used to. Just remember, it is really important to analyze your opponent. Really important.

I'd say get this first though, before Persona 2, and then play them as games of the same Genre, but different in structure; because they really are different in how they perform. You may have trouble going directly from 3 to 2, but I think you'll enjoy it alot more if you play 3 first.

Just what I wanted to know, thanks :D I'll try to get it asap, I'm really intrigued by the style and Devil Survivor was pretty addicting with all the demon catching.

Kazzy

Risk Breaker said:
Just what I wanted to know, thanks :D I'll try to get it asap, I'm really intrigued by the style and Devil Survivor was pretty addicting with all the demon catching.

Going backwards, the demon negotiation mechanic is my main hurdle, its an odd adjustment to make.

Cheska

Soo I've been playing Persona 3 Portable for over a year and a half now, and I'm FINALLY in January now. I already played through the original Persona 3, but I wanted to really experience the game again as the female MC. I just want to say how much I freakin HATE Tartarus in this game. The dungeons are just so bland and boring, and there are waaaayyy too many levels. I absolutely hate that your basically forced to go to the top in order to beat the game. :sigh: At least the rest of the game has been a blast to play through.

omgkitty

So I finally decided to dig back into this game on the PSP. I played about 20 hours or so of the PS2 version, but never got close to beating it. I'm going to try to do it this time, but I was wondering if it was worth trying to Max Social Link everything? I know there are plenty of guides out there for it and wondered if I should just go for it? I will probably never play this game a 2nd time so I figure I should just go for everything. Does anyone recommend this or maybe have a different opinion?

omgkitty said:
So I finally decided to dig back into this game on the PSP. I played about 20 hours or so of the PS2 version, but never got close to beating it. I'm going to try to do it this time, but I was wondering if it was worth trying to Max Social Link everything? I know there are plenty of guides out there for it and wondered if I should just go for it? I will probably never play this game a 2nd time so I figure I should just go for everything. Does anyone recommend this or maybe have a different opinion?

I'm about 60 hrs in and I haven't had a problem with the social links. I'm not going to max out every social link, but I think I'll be close. I haven't used a guide yet, which would have helped, but I like the element of surprise in this game of where social links will appear. I've come close a couple of times of looking up a guide for Elizabeth's quests, but I've done pretty good staying away.
I would say just go for it and not worry about a guide. Even though I won't get everything, I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth and don't feel like I've missed anything. As much as I've loved this game so far and the excitement from the announcement of P4P, I might start again as a female MC this time and try going the opposite way of my male MC. I don't know though, too many good games are coming out now!
One last thing, I was trying to max out all my characters at the beginning and started getting tired of replaying levels over. Just pick a team you feel comfortable with and stick with them. I found it more enjoyable and you won't miss anything main story wise by doing this also.

warpaint

Just re-started this last night never got to the end of the game even after trying 5 or 6 time i end up putting the psp down and forgetting about it so when i end up going back to it i don't have a clue what i have to do or where i am in the story. So wish me well

Game finished!! 74 hours!!

Nyx was easy but just damn long and boring...I think it took me like 1 hour to defeat that sucker.

Btw,Mitsuru social link was 9/10 the last day :( so close haha.

Should I start Persona 2 P, or continue Persona 4?? I'm not pretty sure about playing P4 because the Vita remake...don't know what to do.

And one question, the P4 anime spoils the game??

Game finished!! 74 hours!!

Nyx was easy but just damn long and boring...I think it took me like 1 hour to defeat that sucker.

Btw,Mitsuru social link was 9/10 the last day :( so close haha.

Should I start Persona 2 P, or continue Persona 4?? I'm not pretty sure about playing P4 because the Vita remake...don't know what to do.

And one question, the P4 anime spoils the game??

Wait for P4 on Vita if you plan on getting one anyway. And don't watch the anime before playing the game. So far I only watched the first three episodes and they are pretty close to the story in the game.
I haven't played P2 so far, so I can't give you an advice here.

Some questions about the ending...

Did the MC died?? if so..why? I mean...I could understand that he dies by using all power sealing nyx...but the ending is like 1 month later.

Anyway...great ending.

Berordn

Did the MC died?? if so..why? I mean...I could understand that he dies by using all power sealing nyx...but the ending is like 1 month later.

Not dead, but not really alive either. His body serves as the wall keeping Nyx out of the world. There could be a way to save him, and Elizabeth is searching for a way to during the events of P4.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I've started playing this on Vita. Is there anywhere to find a simple guide to explain the fusion system, please? I just cannot fathom it.

Kerub

Banned
I've just started playing this but I must have missed something very crucial and obvious, because I can't figure out how to get back to the Tartarus tower after the tutorial? I'm just going through day after day without any combat and sometimes somebody says "hey we should go to Tartarus!" but I can't find it lol.

Help?

Kerub

Banned
I've just started playing this but I must have missed something very crucial and obvious, because I can't figure out how to get back to the Tartarus tower after the tutorial? I'm just going through day after day without any combat and sometimes somebody says "hey we should go to Tartarus!" but I can't find it lol.

Help?

To answer my own question, you talk to Mitsuru. I must have dozed off while the game explained that.

Chris R

How long do I have to wait for whatever is blocking floor 16 to go away? No point in goingto tartus with no progression possible...

Top Bottom