• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore: The Interview They All Wanted...

This is a new interview on the site that begins with S and ends in G (edit: seems the word is still censored here but you are going to have to make an exception for this post!) - there is some great stuff in here and it's certainly worth reading. Enjoy:

Q: So how was the Microsoft team put together? It's such a massive undertaking...

Peter Moore: Well, the team started off as Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer. This was something they believed there was great opportunity to make a difference in. Over the years you've talked about 'The Trojan Horse' and asserted there's an end game here that's not about videogames. That we want to infiltrate your living room and just attach a cash register to your broadband connection.

Q: But in fairness, there were many Microsoft executives going on record in 2000 and 2001 to say that there would only ever be games and that there would never be any other content throughout the project, and they said this repeatedly.

Q: When Robbie Bach stands up and talks about 'digital entertainment' and the headline 'Lies Exposed!', and remember that I read ***** every day, and then I read on your site that [Ken] Kutaragi said, 'this is never a games machine', and I wait for the next day for the same reaction and it never comes.

Q: But Sony has always said that though, since the PlayStation 2. It has always been their published plan.

Peter Moore: Yes. But

http://*****.com/detail/editorial.asp?eid=10109296

Redbeard

Banned
*****: What happened with Those Screenshots that were released?

Peter Moore: I'll tell you what happened. Those screenshots should have never gotten out. We allowed EGM over there and perhaps the concept of sharing was taken too far. We allowed them to sit at a desk and capture screenshots and that's not the way it should be done.

He's callin' you out EGM!

Mrbob

What the hell is Moore trying to say about the PD Zero screenshots? :lol Doesn't MS go through what is shown before it is gone to print?

Mrbob

Wait. Peter Moore reads ***** ever day?

*****: But in fairness, there were many Microsoft executives going on record in 2000 and 2001 to say that there would only ever be games and that there would never be any other content throughout the project, and they said this repeatedly.

Peter Moore: When Robbie Bach stands up and talks about 'digital entertainment' and the headline 'Lies Exposed!', and remember that I read ***** every day, and then I read on your site that [Ken] Kutaragi said, 'this is never a games machine', and I wait for the next day for the same reaction and it never comes.

Well this explains quite a bit....

bitwise

Banned
Mrbob said:
What the hell is Moore trying to say about the PD Zero screenshots? :lol Doesn't MS go through what is shown before it is gone to print?

he's saying they made a mistake.. are people going to bitch about THIS as well now? :lol

Mrbob

bitwise said:
he's saying they made a mistake.. are people going to bitch about THIS as well now? :lol

Lets hope so. It'll make the upcoming Xbox 360 dominance much more sweet. :D

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It's good to be on a forum with EGMers who can confirm or deny that.

Though his reasoning on the bad reaction to the shots is crap. For a start the x-ray shot was probably the most praised (alright, least ridiculed), secondly unless EGM fucked around which the screens which seems bloody unlikely, the graphics and art sure as hell didn't change.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mama Smurf said:

Though his reasoning on the bad reaction to the shots is crap. For a start the x-ray shot was probably the most praised (alright, least ridiculed), secondly unless EGM fucked around which the screens which seems bloody unlikely, the graphics and art sure as hell didn't change.
Don't forget that during they MTV showing they announced that they upped the poly count from the original to a much more respectable 5,000 polys per character

Mrbob

Wakune said:
Don't forget that during they MTV showing they announced that they upped the poly count from the original to a much more respectable 5,000 polys per character

Haha, that's true.

MS really fucked up the Perfect Dark Zero unveiling, from print to video. Better be some stunning stuff shown at X05.

Mrbob said:
Haha, that's true.

MS really fucked up the Perfect Dark Zero unveiling, from print to video. Better be some stunning stuff shown at X05.

100% in agreement. Its put up or shut up time for Joanna.

Mrbob said:
Haha, that's true.

That render released of her is what really set the game back. Alot of people suspected that was her real time face in the game.

Teddman

And the MTV special...reaction to that ranged from interest to ridicule depending on who you are... and I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that that wasn't aimed at a gamer audience by any means.
He put it down! I wonder how sp*ng landed such a candid interview, must say it was very well done.

Juice

The fact that Peter Moore reads ***** every day is probably just further proof that he can get Xbox news through the leaks posted there faster than through their own internal memos (which apparently kept falling into the laundry chute before being broadcast before the entire world months before anything was supposed to be revealed).

Pretty good interview. I am disappointed by the lack of tricky semantics about hard drive inclusion so we can have another 7 page thread about the same back and forth argument.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Teddman said:
He put it down! I wonder how sp*ng landed such a candid interview, must say it was very well done.

Probably offered him a night out on the town on Nintendos credit card....

Dav2k said:
Xbrick 360 :0

logo5.gif

Ghost said:
Probably offered him a night out on the town on Nintendos credit card....

OOOOOOH SNAAAAAAAAP!

skip

Mama Smurf said:

mark is traveling today (good timing, right?), but from what I hear this statement is currently being investigated by EGM.

BirdySky

Why can't you post the url? Is..that the full interview? I think you should post the full url. You know you want to. You're itching to. Go on. Do it.

bill0527

Peter is an interesting guy who gets unfairly ridiculed because of what happened during his Dreamcast days. He had nothing at all to do with Dreamcast's demise because Sega of Japan was damn close to broke before the DC even launched in North America. I kind of feel bad for anyone that gets put in a situation where you have to go out and sell a product or sell a company, but you know in the back of your mind that the product is DOA.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Peter is an interesting guy who gets unfairly ridiculed because of what happened during his Dreamcast days. He had nothing at all to do with Dreamcast's demise because Sega of Japan was damn close to broke before the DC even launched in North America. I kind of feel bad for anyone that gets put in a situation where you have to go out and sell a product or sell a company, but you know in the back of your mind that the product is DOA.

You are right, I had a Dreamcast in the year 2000 and the catalogue of good games was stunning, Sega America did a good job in the Dreamcast area.

Wunderchu

Nightbringer said:
You are right, I had a Dreamcast in the year 2000 and the catalogue of good games was stunning, Sega America did a good job in the Dreamcast area.
I agree :D .. (I had a Dreamcast from launch day)

GhaleonEB

Nightbringer said:

He's also said in the past that he was in a tough position selling a product, with such a strong lineup at launch, when the release schedule dropped off a cliff at the 18-month mark. His job was to make it enough of a success that the games would continue to come, but I don't think that was really in his power.

Though, since he was the marketing guy when the DC launched (replacing Stolar right at launch), he's responsible for the fucking terrible "It's Thinking" campaign.

Pimpwerx

bill0527 said:

Meh, he's not a bad guy by any means. But he's still the kiss of death for any company. ;) PEACE.

bah ***** doesnt wanna work with mozilla, but it works with firefox .. wtf
Peter Moore: Say, I don't know, Disney or Universal. If they wanted an end-to-end business that has hardware, has huge software support, market expertise and a brand, I mean the brand alone is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Xbox is worth billions of dollars already.
a money losing brand is worth billions?

Although there was a very weird review on Eurogamer last week which made me wonder if they had played the same game as I had. It was a four out of ten and I was going, 'Hmm, that's just not right.' They were the only one. Everything else was in the eights and nines...
:lol :lol :lol eurogamer gets a big F U

*****: Does Xbox production continue to this day?

Peter Moore: We believe that this Christmas will be the best ever Christmas for Xbox. <...snip...>
:lol :lol :lol CHANNELING KAPLAN!!

sangreal

The Faceless Master said:
a money losing brand is worth billions?

Yes, and honestly that was a stupid comment. Do you buy products based on how profitable they are to their manufacturers?

shoe

"**** you, GAF"
Hi everyone. I SO wish I heard about this just a few hours earlier. Demian at work just pointed this out to me now, and I JUST came back from a summit where Peter Moore was at. I could've asked him about this directly! What lousy timing. I didn't even know about this when I saw him. Anyway...

1. I have no idea if the interview is real or not, but that statement about EGM taking its own PDZ screens is absolute BS. Microsoft provided those screens. We had no access to any screen-capturing equipment. What makes me think the interview itself is BS is Moore really knows better. They never let press "sit down and take their own screens"...

2. I don't know why he would say that anyway -- it looks worse for them this way. If MS provided all assets, they can publically say the screens aren't representative of real gameplay...or they can spin it however they wanted after they saw the negative reaction. But if "EGM took those screens" then they *have* to be from the actual game, off of playable code. At that point, there's no putting a spin on things from Microsoft's end...

Anyway, we're asking them about this now, but for the record: we saw the game in person, and they sent us screenshots separately from that visit, from their own internal builds/code. Yes, in person, the game didn't look that impressive, either... (but to be fair, games rarely do eight months out...).

-shoe
EGM

Top Bottom