• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore: The Interview They All Wanted...

----

Banned
He says people don't get Kameo. I don't understand how people don't get Kameo. The game looked mindblowing at E3. It looks like a really great fantasy adventure game like a Zelda. Visually it looked great and the gameplay looked incredibly fun. Kameo Xbox 360 has definitely restored a lot of my faith back in Rare. Conker for Xbox also shows that Rare hasn't lost their ability to master the graphics performance of a console. I think PDZero is going to look phenomenal when it ships because of how great Kameo and Conker look. Way too many people are overlooking Kameo and focusing on PDZero though.

In the interview, Peter Moore says the whole Xbox idea started with Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer and then Blackley, Bachus and Allard came in later. I thought it was the other way around.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Synth_floyd said:
In the interview, Peter Moore says the whole Xbox idea started with Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer and then Blackley, Bachus and Allard came in later. I thought it was the other way around.

Well Yamauchi, Miyamoto and Iwata did all claim that DS was their idea. The truth? Probably some salaryman who will never be known.

shoe said:
Hi everyone. I SO wish I heard about this just a few hours earlier. Demian at work just pointed this out to me now, and I JUST came back from a summit where Peter Moore was at. I could've asked him about this directly! What lousy timing. I didn't even know about this when I saw him. Anyway...

1. I have no idea if the interview is real or not, but that statement about EGM taking its own PDZ screens is absolute BS. Microsoft provided those screens. We had no access to any screen-capturing equipment. What makes me think the interview itself is BS is Moore really knows better. They never let press "sit down and take their own screens"...

2. I don't know why he would say that anyway -- it looks worse for them this way. If MS provided all assets, they can publically say the screens aren't representative of real gameplay...or they can spin it however they wanted after they saw the negative reaction. But if "EGM took those screens" then they *have* to be from the actual game, off of playable code. At that point, there's no putting a spin on things from Microsoft's end...

Anyway, we're asking them about this now, but for the record: we saw the game in person, and they sent us screenshots separately from that visit, from their own internal builds/code. Yes, in person, the game didn't look that impressive, either... (but to be fair, games rarely do eight months out...).

-shoe
EGM

Which is why spwr0ng is banned her. Thanks, Shoe.

shoe

"**** you, GAF"
Mark's gonna come on here later and explain more, but it turns out the interview is real and Moore did say those things...

-shoe

sangreal

Synth_floyd said:

He never got to finish off what he was saying in that question so we don't know what he meant.

Later he said

You asked me about the team... In the early days the team was cobbled together from Microsoft guys who were gamers.

shoe said:
Mark's gonna come on here later and explain more, but it turns out the interview is real and Moore did say those things...

-shoe

Hehhe then Peter Moore should be the next GAF banned phrase.

There is a correction under the interview now saying they were contacted by microsoft and told that MS and Rare approved and supplied EGM with the PD0 pics.

I'd put the quote directly in my post, but sp** won't let me copy and paste.

sangreal

super-heated plasma said:
I'd put the quote directly in my post, but sp** won't let me copy and paste.
?

Correction - We were contacted by Microsoft with a correction to the Peter Moore interview. The "Perfect Dark Zero" shots supplied to EGM were taken by Rare and ultimately approved by both Rare and Microsoft.

EGM had no say in what screen shots were provided.

mj1108

Synth_floyd said:

That's what I could have sworn too. I remember hearing how they had to sell Bill on the idea.

bill0527 said:
Peter is an interesting guy who gets unfairly ridiculed because of what happened during his Dreamcast days. He had nothing at all to do with Dreamcast's demise because Sega of Japan was damn close to broke before the DC even launched in North America. I kind of feel bad for anyone that gets put in a situation where you have to go out and sell a product or sell a company, but you know in the back of your mind that the product is DOA.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: (completely unrelated post here)

Breaking News:

Extreme athlete / cool guy J Allard has been injured, at the Xgames, I think

http://www.xbox365.com/news.cgi?id=GGuPHuLduH08091610

Dude J Allard - Get Well Then Get Back To Work!

We have recently learned that Microsoft's Corporate Vice President and Chief XNA Architect, J Allard, was involved in an accident while participating in an extreme sport. Sometime during the event, J Allard's bike betrayed him and it resulted in a pretty bad injury to Mr. Allard. So that's why we need your support to help J to a speedy recovery. Don't you want him at full power while working on your Xbox 360?

We want the ENTIRE Xbox Community to contribute, not just Xbox365. So if you are a community site or staff and wish to contribute, pop me an e-mail at Coola@Xbox365.com or ignore it and add it to a spam list.

With that said, we here at Xbox365 would like to wish J Allard a speedy recovery and hope he gets well soon. If you would also like to give your comments of support, sign in below. Once we've collected a good amount, this page link will be sent to him directly. Please, any comments of negativity will be deleted.

Ryudo said:
How is that funny ?

Two seperate things. Sorry.

I posted the lol regarding the Peter Moore quote as he seems to have stuck his foot in his mouth and then just edited the Allard thing on the end. Didn't put the two together in my head, so it came out bad.

bill0527

Ryudo said:
How is that funny ?

I think he was laughing at my statement. Notice the *clever* use of bolding to highlight certain words in an attempt to seperate it out from the rest of the sentence. I'll go ahead and restate what I said again just in case anyone falls for that. I said that Peter Moore unfairly gets criticized for what happened during his Dreamcast days because Sega was broke when the DC launched in North America. Of course, after seeing what's happened in this thread, Peter Moore can be rightly ridiculed for something like this. This was just a poor attempt by the Cowboy to try and tie something I said regarding a completely different situation, to the events that have transpired in this post.

With that said, we can go ahead and start the countdown waiting in anticipation for the next SonyCowboy thread quoting some obscure analyst or article about how the Xbox 360 will not be shipping with a hard drive.

bill0527 said:
With that said, we can go ahead and start the countdown waiting in anticipation for the next SonyCowboy thread quoting some obscure analyst or article about how the Xbox 360 will not be shipping with a hard drive.

Sorry to disappoint you. Tomorrow is NPD day, so no more analyst articles (BTW, they're not obscure, they're quite regular to the IE industry) that will upset you (well, not related to the 360 anyway, NPD HW sales might continue to disappoint you).

I'll try to keep your fragile psyche in mind when I post news.

bitwise

Banned
I had sushi for the first time today and it was really fuckin good! i love that green stuff at the side that makes your nose feel like its burning. then just a drink of water makes the sensation go away!

its the best food ever. and it looks so nice sitting there in the tray :)

bill0527 said:
The only thing fragile around here is the quality of the shit you try and post as news every other day.

:lol :lol

Wow. I'm sorry you feel that way.

ostrich.gif

Ruzbeh

Banned
shoe said:
Hi everyone. I SO wish I heard about this just a few hours earlier. Demian at work just pointed this out to me now, and I JUST came back from a summit where Peter Moore was at. I could've asked him about this directly! What lousy timing. I didn't even know about this when I saw him. Anyway...

1. I have no idea if the interview is real or not, but that statement about EGM taking its own PDZ screens is absolute BS. Microsoft provided those screens. We had no access to any screen-capturing equipment. What makes me think the interview itself is BS is Moore really knows better. They never let press "sit down and take their own screens"...

2. I don't know why he would say that anyway -- it looks worse for them this way. If MS provided all assets, they can publically say the screens aren't representative of real gameplay...or they can spin it however they wanted after they saw the negative reaction. But if "EGM took those screens" then they *have* to be from the actual game, off of playable code. At that point, there's no putting a spin on things from Microsoft's end...

Anyway, we're asking them about this now, but for the record: we saw the game in person, and they sent us screenshots separately from that visit, from their own internal builds/code. Yes, in person, the game didn't look that impressive, either... (but to be fair, games rarely do eight months out...).

-shoe
EGM
Well, I knew the whole thing was fake when "Peter Moore said" that he visisted Spizz0ng every day... my ass... thanks for taking the time to reply though. :)
bill0527 said:
The only thing fragile around here is the quality of the shit you try and post as news every other day.

sangreal

Ruzbeh said:
Well, I knew the whole thing was fake when "Peter Moore said" that he visisted Spizz0ng every day... my ass... thanks for taking the time to reply though. :)

-shoe

spO**: They are both on track for launch?

Peter Moore: Yes. The launch window

Damn, I knew there was a good possibility PDO wouldn't make the launch.

SonnyBoy

LegendofJoe said:

So anytime between Nov and Jan?

Maybe he meant that it will be a launch title but since they haven't decided the launch date that they will ship with the console but the consoles window is still undecided.

sangreal

LegendofJoe said:

From IGN (Today)

Microsoft representatives officially re-confirmed with IGN today Rare titles Perfect Dark and Kameo would definitely launch day and date with the system, echoing Vice President Peter Moore's comments prior to E3. "PGR3 should launch with the system, if everything works according to plan." said a Microsoft representative. "But those first two (Perfect Dark and Kameo) are our big pushes for day one."

If MS is really serious about pushing PD0 they really need to work hard to erase the MTV fiasco from the minds of gamers.

Showing off PD0 in all its glory would be a great way to work up some pre-launch hype. I am at a loss to understand why MS and Rare are being so secretive about it.

sangreal

LegendofJoe said:
If MS is really serious about pushing PD0 they really need to work hard to erase the MTV fiasco from the minds of gamers.

Showing off PD0 in all its glory would be a great way to work up some pre-launch hype. I am at a loss to understand why MS and Rare are being so secretive about it.

because it still looks bad

Flo_Evans

LegendofJoe said:

I think because they are waiting untill its in all of its glory. I kind of feel sorry for Rare. I know, and I know alot of people here know, it sucks to show a work in progress. They couldn't of been happy with those screens.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Cut Peter Moore a break.

It's not easy running damage control on a game that looks like utter shit, has been in development for years, and is the flagship title for your next-gen system.

cut him a break, be easy on him!

Flo_Evans said:
I think because they are waiting untill its in all of its glory. I kind of feel sorry for Rare. I know, and I know alot of people here know, it sucks to show a work in progress. They couldn't of been happy with those screens.

I know exactly what you mean.

I remember the initial reaction to Wind Waker. It was a work in progress trailer of the game and was never intended to be unveiled to the public, but still everyone completely over reacted. The end result was arguably(even if you disliked the game itself) one of the best looking games of the entire generation. I'm sure the guys at Rare will pull it off as well.

Look, you clowns: the interview is genuine. For FUCK sake. Give us all a fucking break.

Secondly, regarding the PD0 screens and Moore's comment, simply, Moore dropped the ball on this. The EGM guy earlier was right; to claim that anyone had access to take their own screens is farcical enough, but the fact is, those exact screens were broadly released as official HD assets mere days after E3, I have an official X360 press disc here with the exact same shots on - the ONLY batch of PD0 shots to ever be issued or appear anywhere, incidentally. So, frankly, Moore is either lying, or misinformed. But nonetheless I still rate Moore and I agree he is given too hard a time, all things considered.

Neex

Banned
I gotta say, any game forum that gets discussion from the dudes who make my EGM mag definitely gets a healthy +1.

That said, anyone care to clue me in as to why pongsay is taboo?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Neex said:
I gotta say, any game forum that gets discussion from the dudes who make my EGM mag definitely gets a healthy +1.

That said, anyone care to clue me in as to why pongsay is taboo?

megat0n

Prine

Banned
Cerrius said:
Cut Peter Moore a break.

It's not easy running damage control on a game that looks like utter shit, has been in development for years, and is the flagship title for your next-gen system.

cut him a break, be easy on him!

Halo

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I understand what you're saying bill0527, and I have great respect for Peter Moore. But honestly I think if SOA continued to be run by Bernie Stollar the picture would have been at least a little better. America was the only place where the DC had something going for it and IMO, the initial success of the DC was due to Bernie's efforts.

As a matter of fact, when Peter took charge is when things started going downhill. Games got cancelled, third parties left, he started freaking out announcing the free Dreamcast deal, which btw just killed it's momentum for the summer. Honestly he's not confident enough and I think freaks out too easily, those are not good characterictics for a company president. There were situations like the money and PR he decided to put into things like Seaman, Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5(that pink female character Ulala was once supposed to be DCs new mascot in America, can you believe it??).

And it wasn't just the DC, remember the NFL2k3 fiasco? The whole "we're going to beat EA at their game" thing? Please.. In my opinion he needs to be in a position where somebody(who isn't japanese) can object to his rather weird ideas and unrealistic notions. So I think he's in the right job now.

MarkMacD

I was waiting for the correction to go up to chime in; now that it has, I'll just sum up in case anyone is still confused:

-the interview on 'the site' is real
-Peter Moore did say those things about EGM taking the PDZ screens
-Peter Moore was completely, 100% wrong. I dunno where he got the idea from.
-microsoft contacted 'the site' about Peter Moore's mistake; 'the site' put up a correction for them.

Viola!

If there is a funny part to this whole thing, it's that I bet anyone who read the EGM cover story was/is more interested PDZ than anyone who saw the MTV thing, since the cover story goes pretty deep into detailing the (quite ambitious) gameplay, while the special only showcased the work-in-progress visuals.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
GhaleonEB said:
He's also said in the past that he was in a tough position selling a product, with such a strong lineup at launch, when the release schedule dropped off a cliff at the 18-month mark. His job was to make it enough of a success that the games would continue to come, but I don't think that was really in his power.

Though, since he was the marketing guy when the DC launched (replacing Stolar right at launch), he's responsible for the fucking terrible "It's Thinking" campaign.

Yes, he was responsible for that campaign but he didn't replace Stollar. Stollar was replaced with a japanese guy in july or august 99, and he was responsible for NOA during the launch window. Peter Moore then took over in early 2000 I believe.

Top Bottom