• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pew: Majority of Americans (yep!) are skeptical about climate change science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
pkejl0a.gif

I wouldn't even mind this, if only the people in charge would believe it and write some damn law to take care of the most pressing pollution crap going on right now.

Beliefs about global climate change
Due to human activity 48%

Can make a big difference to address climate change
Restrictions on power plant carbon emissions 51%
International agreement to limit emissions 49%

At least 3% of respondents seem to be suffering from some intense cognitive dissonance.

ezrarh

Why am I not surprised. One of, if not the biggest problem human society will face is not only ignored but people don't even believe it. Talk about digging your own grave.

Nah we're digging our grandchildren's graves.

Kusagari

I mean only 20% of the poll subscribes to the Trump belief that nothing is happening.

More than anything this comes off to me as the majority of the public just saying they trust no one at this point. Scientists, the media, politicians, etc.

Aeana

GOP mission accomplished as far they're concerned. Make a big enough show and whatever it is they're protesting will be questioned enough by the masses. If GOP made "water isn't wet" part of their platform, we'd have half of America questioning their senses.
Next up: earth is flat.

Gigglepoo

I find it fascinating when laymen don't believe experts. If climate scientists agree that humans are impacting the Earth's weather patterns, who am I to disagree? I studied English in school. I have no idea how an iPhone works or how to fix my transmission, that's why I go to experts for help.

I guess by Americans they mean USA citizens. Cause that sure as hell isn't the case in other American countries.

Yes, I wish we could stop referring to USA as America

StoveOven

Banned
When given four answers to the degree in which they believe something, most people pick the middle two ones. This shouldn't be a surprise. This poll actually shows much more positive numbers than I was expecting to find. 78% of Americans trust climate change science to some degree. That's a pretty good number. We don't need every person to have an impassioned stance on the issue as long as most of them are willing to listen to those who do.

Not surprised. I feel the fault really lies with the media trying to present it like there are two valid sides to the "debate".

Thing is there is a no debate. Climate change is real. The discussions need to center around solutions to this very real problem.

Climate change deniers sound like flat-earthers. Yea they can argue, but would you really waste time giving audience to those people? Is it responsible?

Hari Seldon

This thread seems to be cherry picking a particularly bad question in that survey. I mean look at this:

PS_2016.10.04_Politics-of-Climate_1-09.png

Edit:

I like how the American public has more confidence in leaders from other nations than our own damn elected officials lololol.

One of my family members was sharing things like this Antarctica sea ice reaches new record

For "proof against climate change".

Another family member was asking things like:
-"Why don't we plant more trees if it's an issue?"
-"Why is there talk about warming and cooling? Climate science isn't consistent."
-"How can we fix CO2, when everything breathes it?"

BruinsMtB

Banned
This wasn't always the case, but the brand of Protestantism that aligned itself with the Republican Party loves pushing that narrative hard.

The Vatican has expressed concern over climate change.

My favorite environmentalist and biologist, Rachel Carson, was deeply influenced by her Christian background. It's unfortunate how this country has clung to a group of denominations that are unwilling to accept there are forces of change in the world outside of their deity. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

What do you guys need??? that the Hell itself spurs from Texas or something?

This has been the warmest year in... well... forever.

Kthulhu

What do you guys need??? that the Hell itself spurs from Texas or something?

This has been the warmest year in... well... forever.

Texas has way worse than heat. We've had historic floods in Houston for the past two years. I read an interview with an A&M professor who said they are unstoppable.

Fiend

This thread seems to be cherry picking a particularly bad question in that survey. I mean look at this:

PS_2016.10.04_Politics-of-Climate_1-09.png

Edit:

I like how the American public has more confidence in leaders from other nations than our own damn elected officials lololol.

And above those we got energy leaders. Those guys sure are trustworthy and don't have their own corporate interests in mind.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Jesus was totally all about the guys as well, hanging out with his 12 disciples. Christianity got it wrong in the Bible. If you ask me Jesus was actually a raging homo, proud of it, and totally for gay marriage. Damn prophets/translators. The real Jesus is a Jesus I could get behind ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I mean, everyone knows Jesus was beautiful and looking totally fabulous on his crucifixion day, with his perfect skin, and tilted crown. I also heard he had extremely good hygiene for his day.

Sàmban;219051839 said:
Good thing the majority of these fucking imbeciles will be around to witness the effects of climate change.

Doesn't matter, it's impossible to convince these people they are wrong. Even if climate change continues unabated and the coasts are buried under meters of water they will claim it is simply a natural change in the earth's climate unrelated to human activity.

Cyrano

the reputations of all of us living in this period of history will be absolutely slaughtered in the centuries to come.
You're assuming they don't outlaw history.
An Oklahoma legislative committee overwhelmingly voted to ban Advanced Placement U.S. History class, persuaded by the argument that it only teaches students “what is bad about America.” Other lawmakers are seeking a court ruling that would effectively prohibit the teaching of all AP courses in public schools.

The biggest troublemakers are apologists for market failure, folks who say we can't afford to take action, and accounting that ignores externalities while claiming profit. Very sad, but I mean given what we've seen with the hoopla over taxes most Americans are dumber than dumb and reject folks like scientists trying to do everyone a favor.

4Tran

Propaganda works. This is how a guy like Trump can win a major party nomination.
That's right. People are too caught up into thinking that only WWII-era propaganda counts as that even though modern propaganda is probably more effective than ever before. The really sad thing about this is that education isn't that effective at combating this. The only solace is that climate change is largely accepted in most of rest of the world. It's still embarrassing that the US is behind countries like China though.

even fewer say climate scientists understand the best ways to address climate change

I actually don't necessarily disagree with this, climate scientists are not policy makers and they might not be able to put together the most efficient incentive scheme to actually reduce emissions.

That being said, the previous question seems to imply it's less specialty skepticism and more of a "well what do those darn scientists know anyhow" thing and that's stupid.

Gonna fix it with their 'thoughts and prayers' I guess.

How anyone can deny climate change these days is baffling. Sure, some of it can be a natural occurrence, but the amount of damage us humans do to the planet is plain to see for all. At least it should be.

Cyrano

I dunno. Much of human history has been mired in greed and ignorance.
Much of human history has also been filled with people trying to change this. This is yet another generation where people are embracing hedonism to reckless degrees.

kingocfs

Majority of Americans have probably never read a single thing about climate change science. They hear people arguing about it on the news, see snow outside during the winter and chuckle.

mugwhump

The dumbest thing in there might be that only 27% of people think there's a scientific consensus on climate change, when 48% believe in climate change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom