• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR3 update 06: Motion Capture, texturing (56k warning)

Borys

Banned
Chiggs said:
Isn't it 9.4? I've read in several articles that's what the capacity is. Someone please clarify this.

Just pop a DL disc into your DVD burner.

I just did and NERO reports 8152 MB free.

Man I love DL DVDs :D and can't wait for Blu-Ray writers to come down to $100-$200 price level.

Can you imagine a Blu-Ray RW? 50 GBs that's like a portable HDD!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Borys said:
Just pop a DL disc into your DVD burner.

I just did and NERO reports 8152 MB free.

Man I love DL DVDs :D and can't wait for Blu-Ray writers to come down to $100-$200 price level.

Can you imagine a Blu-Ray RW? 50 GBs that's like a portable HDD!

Interesting. The reason I asked is that some sites list the specifications for the DVD-9 as 9.4 or 9.7, and yet, I'm reading 8.5 from people on this site.

Anyhow, yeah, I cannot wait until Blu-Ray writers are around the price you mentioned. It'll make my bi-annual reformat-a-thons much easier.

Edit: This site cleared things up for me.

http://www.ccssinc.com/dvd_questions_answers.php

I really think MS should have used a higher capacity format (DVD-10 or DVD-18).

GhaleonEB

McFly said:
They did post a photograph (the first shot).

Fredi

Yeah, and the textures were blurry.

I note that about half the people on my ignore list over the past few months have been banned. This pleases me for some intangible reason I can't quite put my finger on, but I'm adding some folks here to it in case this is a causal relationship.

eso76

Neex said:
I don't see how you can find those screens disappointing unless you want to.

nah, i was kidding
actually, if they are going to use static textures for reflections on buildings' windows that is going to ruin the overall effect and make these guy's efforts at realism pointless when you see this in motion.
Most driving games already use some kind of environment mapping for glass surfaces; what i mean is, trying to recreate such tiny details with normal or parallax mapping or whatever these guys are using is really impressive, but when you drive by you're much more likely to notice that glass doesn't look like glass rather than all those details carved in walls.

I honestly think this will change by the time the game ships: I also think these pictures are not really representative of the kind of detail we can expect throughout the game, and frankly, i think this would be almost too much for a racing game.

Now, a Shenmue 3 with those graphics on the other hand...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
eso76 said:
nah, i was kidding
actually, if they are going to use static textures for reflections on buildings' windows that is going to ruin the overall effect and make these guy's efforts at realism pointless when you see this in motion.
Most driving games already use some kind of environment mapping for glass surfaces; what i mean is, trying to recreate such tiny details with normal or parallax mapping or whatever these guys are using is really impressive, but when you drive by you're much more likely to notice that glass doesn't look like glass rather than all those details carved in walls.

I honestly think this will change by the time the game ships: I also think these pictures are not really representative of the kind of detail we can expect throughout the game, and frankly, i think this would be almost too much for a racing game.

Now, a Shenmue 3 with those graphics on the other hand...

correct me if i'm wrong, but it already looks like there is some kind of environment mapping on the "in-game" pic. the set of doors on the right definitely has a different reflection on it then the one on the left (despite having the same car reflected in the texture itself)

It has been said earlier, but the level of nitpicking is mind boggling. At first I think that you guys have to be joking, but sadly most of you are not. It is actually quite frightening.

The guys making PGR3 are very enthusiastic about the project and are obviously putting a lot of content into this game. They are even cool enough to post updates on their site showing their progress.

Inevitebly, when they do post something, whiney people complain about something retarded like reflections in the puddles or the windows. As if that will make any noticable difference in any type of gameplay. Reflections, bumpmapped trilliner whatever, and LAZER GREEN RAY STORAGE nonsense aside, the graphic detail here is way beyond anything this gen. If you guys wnat to have a stick up your ass, it is your loss.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
FirstInHell said:
It has been said earlier, but the level of nitpicking is mind boggling. At first I think that you guys have to be joking, but sadly most of you are not. It is actually quite frightening.

Just be glad the people here don't rep the masses. Gaming might be fucked up then.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Just be glad the people here don't rep the masses. Gaming might be fucked up then.

Gaming would cease to exist if this place represented the masses. They would spend too much time talking about sales figures and what the new consoles can and can't do to actually play the games, so nobody would buy them.

Although I guess if that were the case, there wouldn't be any sales figures to discuss...which puts us at a bit of an odd place.

EDIT - Just saw op's post. Yeah there is some form of environment mapping(obviously not very complex, nor would I expect it to be) going on, but the car isn't part of it. The car is just a static texture. Look at how various parts line up with the window panes.

eso76

op_ivy said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but it already looks like there is some kind of environment mapping on the "in-game" pic. the set of doors on the right definitely has a different reflection on it then the one on the left (despite having the same car reflected in the texture itself)

I am not sure about that, but i'm sure other PGR3 pictures show environment mapping being used on all skyscrapers' windows so i don't doubt they'll use it here too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm not sure I understand how this works. What will the air conditioning box look like when you look at it from the other side, since it has a perspective implied in the texture.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Gek54 said:
How do you know it doesnt have geometry?

Might have read too quickly, but I understood that the first pic would be the flat texture and the second pic the texture in use.

Gek54

They are clearly at different angles as the arches in the game shot appears to have have more geometry that what is visible in the real shot so I can only assume they just didnt plaster the picture on a flat building.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'm not sure I understand how this works. What will the air conditioning box look like when you look at it from the other side, since it has a perspective implied in the texture.
They add just enough geometry to give it profile where it matters. It's not like you'll be able to park extremely close alongside the wall and look up to see any potential issues - these are still 'backgrounds' we're talking about. So long as it looks good from game viewable angles that's all you need.

Fafalada said:
They add just enough geometry to give it profile where it matters. It's not like you'll be able to park extremely close alongside the wall and look up to see any potential issues -

cue the "...OH LORD! The Xbox360 is doomed!" comments.

Top Bottom