• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasmagoria Series [RF] A Puzzle of Taco Salad (Discussion Thread)

Let's take a blast to the past and talk about an extremely underrated Horror game series called PHANTASMAGORIA!

Starting with the first game:
xza3aGH.gif

Phantasmagoria was one of the first large budget FMV games to really start giving an equal balance between Movie and Gameplay, which I hoped would continue as technology improved, but years later around 1998 the genre pretty much died outside some exceptions here and there.

An Adventure game where you have real-life graphics along with traditional point and click gameplay. Also it was INSANE!

Your Husband being possessed by a demon slowly going more and more mad until he starts laughing maniacally and trying to kill everyone in the house including the electrician. A house which no sane person would have gone into without renovations and removing several things from the property.

The game was a success, however overtime there's been little exposure to this classic. I would recommend those who are fans of horror games or movies to try and track down this title, preferably legally, as it really is quite the game. Fantastic!

Plot: The Story starts out pretty simple, the main character and her husband decide to rent this ridiculously large circus mansion that used to be owned by a mad magician who had his essence sealed in a book. When this book if found by incident, she open the book to let out the demon spirit of the insane magician named Carno iirc. Who then posses her Husband, and he slowly becomes more mean and abusive before he snaps and starts acting like some deranged mad scientist as shown in the gif:

This crazed magician had tortured his own maids and killed how own wife in gruesome ways:
AcademicUniformErne-size_restricted.gif

Gameplay: The game sometimes has sections where you need to act a bit faster to escape some shall we say, problems, however it's a pretty good game that isn't really difficult. You switch between the town and mansion to get information from the towns people on the original owner of the house. Tons of areas to explore as the house also seems to have its own dungeon, and a hidden area cut off around the back that's only accessible with he help of two homeless people, an old lady and her dumb but strong son, the latter of which can push down a tree (wouldn't want to make him mad.)

It's a pretty creepy game but not really too frightening, and had a nice dash of humor in it. I would highly recommend this game however for anyone that wants to play-through an enjoyable adventure title. For those that have already played the game, what's your opinion on it? How would you rate the acting, gameplay, music, and setting? Did you love it or hate it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PHANTASMAGORIA 2: A PUZZLE OF FLESH
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The sequel and final game in the series, PG2 goes a different direction than the first game taking a more cinematic approach and aiming more for jump and atmospheric horror instead of a horror theme that pushes blood and gore. However, this game still has plenty of blood so don't be fooled.

The main character is a man named Curtis Craig who had not long earlier had been released from a hospital. he goes to work at a "tech" company within a cubical. pretty average guy so far. After a very average opening things suddenly go awry:

DenseLoathsomeIrishredandwhitesetter-small.gif

Ok, that doesn't happen until a couple hours in (also wtf?)

BUT, suddenly Curtis has weird visions, touching walls will suddenly show blood splattered on his arms, he's hearing some crazy voice on his phone, he's having day dreams of his mom trying to I. His dad may have been murdered trying to uncover something called the "threshold project", made by the same company Curtis is currently working for!!!!!

Plot: the story may already seem a bit silly, and that's because it is. The game seems to be all over the place. Which is why it's probably my favorite horror game of all time. They occasionally tried more than the first game to throw some comedy in the mix, but the terrible writing makes this one of the creepiest and most hilarious horror games all at once. Heck, i'd even say it gives movies a run for their money. the plot is bat shit insane, they contradict what just happened in a scene less than 60 seconds from a scene, things happen for no reason, events the game thinks you should know never happen in the game. it's absolutely glorious.

Gameplay: Phantasmagoria 2 isn't too different from one regarding it's point and click style gameplay, but there's a lot more FMV involved with a bigger budget. I will say however that the game is a bit more difficult and not because of the gameplay itself but because some of the puzzles are really odd. There are also two points where the goal of a scene is just needlessly complicated for no reason. The first is...the first puzzle in the game. it's not that difficult to figure out but you'll be wondering who came up with such an odd puzzle. The worst though are within the last hour of the game, where I'm fairly certain these guys just threw puzzles together without even looking at it. The last major one is complete nonsense (and so is where it takes place).

Overall, I actually greatly prefer the 80's/90's movie hybrid approach this game takes over the first. it's hilarious, there's a lot more to be invested in, and the plot is outrageous. There's this crazy scene where Curtis passes out and has a flashback to the insane asylum which has some man talking about taco salad and disco dancing and it's just nuts. The game world is smaller but much less outlandish then living in some crazy magicians mansion and much more believable.

Well it was mostly more believable, until the FLIPPING ALIENS came up late in the game:

3-259k8xg.gif

(pictured here, Alien makes a hologram of himself, which said hologram is able to pick up a head and shoot a laser and the..what?!?!)

What's more interesting about the Aliens late game is the guy in the fig is apparently the REAL son of your father and not you. This guy is actually in some other dimension or space or whatever, sealed up and unable to move. but has the power to send holograms of himself to do things... like kill people by slashing them or doing the above gif...SOMEHOW. Also, there was contact with other Aliens but by the end of the game he's the only one, where did the other aliens go? Why is who?

By now you're likely thinking "I need to buy this somehow original copy or PC download ASAP" well, you are correct because, at least for me, Phantasmagoria 2 is not only one of the best horror games of all time(granted for the wrong reasons likely not intended by the makers), but one of the best games of all time, and top 5 FMV for sure. Now, whether I like this more than Ripper or not is the question, I guess I'll give this the edge as it's very replayable and not as irritating with the disc switching. Plus it's one of the best comedies.

For those who have played PG2, what's your opinion on it? How would you rate the acting, gameplay, music, and setting? Did you love it or hate it?

-----------------------------------------------------
TL: DR
-----------------------------------------------------

TL: DR: I highly recommend you guys check out these titles, for those who had missed or never heard of this series, you'll have a blast. It really does show how you can do more with FMV than button prompt movies, and they are well designed games.

For those that did place PG1, PG2, or both, what's your reception of them at the time and/or retrospectively? How do you find the plot, gameplay, acting, and themes? Do you think they still hold up today?

Retro Flashback Thread Series by Afro Republican. All Gafs Reserved.

Sorry guys, i though the post went through with where to get these games but the post didn't summit.

If you are interested in playing for the first time or replaying Pahntasmagoria 1 and/or 2 you can get them through the following:

You can of course buy physical copies on Ebay, Amazon, or other classic game sites.

You can purchase PG1 on Steam for only $10 here:

Or you can buy it on Good Ol' Games here: https://www.gog.com/game/phantasmagoria

The same for Pahntasmagoria 2:

You can buy it on Steam (for only $6!) here:

Or GOG here: https://www.gog.com/game/phantasmagoria_2

dottme

I’ve only played Phantasmagoria 1, but I have great memories of it.
Even if I was a little young at that time and some scene are really really terrifying.

But for who has never played it and who likes point and click, I’ll recommend it.

Vlaphor

I really liked Phantasmagoria 2 back in the day. Thought the puzzles were decent (other than the very last one, which kinda sucked), the gore was fantastic, and the game had a bunch of sex as well. All great things for any game to have, especially an FMV game.

P1 is more of a mixed bag as I recall, and I remember nothing really about the puzzles. The only things I remember were the gore scenes were well done (the main character getting her head ripped in half still sticks with me to this day), the acting was nice and cheesy, and the main character was pretty hot (sideboob in the intro cutscene has also stuck with me to this day)

In terms of quality, the best FMV game out there is probably still Gabriel Knight 2, but I can dig both of the Phantasmagoria games.

Now, my favorite FMV game of all time is easily Harvester. That game's insanity makes the Phantasmagoria games look tame and silly. I also love the hell out of Psychic Detective.

Last edited:
I really liked Phantasmagoria 2 back in the day. Thought the puzzles were decent (other than the very last one, which kinda sucked), the gore was fantastic, and the game had a bunch of sex as well. All great things for any game to have, especially an FMV game.

P1 is more of a mixed bag as I recall, and I remember nothing really about the puzzles. The only things I remember were the gore scenes were well done (the main character getting her head ripped in half still sticks with me to this day), the acting was nice and cheesy, and the main character was pretty hot (sideboob in the intro cutscene has also stuck with me to this day)

In terms of quality, the best FMV game out there is probably still Gabriel Knight 2, but I can dig both of the Phantasmagoria games.

Now, my favorite FMV game of all time is easily Harvester. That game's insanity makes the Phantasmagoria games look tame and silly. I also love the hell out of Psychic Detective.

Harvesters is a decent production but I feel it puts too much on randomness and really trying to trip out the player by basically not having an explanation for nearly anything and just ending. But it's really well done otherwise in FMV, digitized sprites, and acting.

One thing I like about PG2 is that most of the game retains the point and click gameplay but almost makes the whole environment FMV so it really does feel like playing a movie.

klosos

I remember this game vaguely, my brother had this i never got around to it, this as perked my interest. Ill have to do some research into the Steam version to make sure it works with no issues.

However to me The Ripper is the greatest FMV game ever made, pure Christopher Walken 90's goodness.

petran79

Banned
Black Dahlia was also one of the last good efforts for a solid FMV adventure game, before the companies abandoned the genre in favour of cheaper 3d models.
Phantasmagoria and Gabriel Knight 2 were also responsible partially for Sierra's economic woes later on. Very expensive games for their time and very labor intensive to produce.
Especially the final chapter of Phantasmagoria must have been a creative nightmare for the producers. But even today that chapter remains the most tense moment I've experienced in a horror video game. Nothing comes close.
PG2 was also the first video game to feature an openly gay character.

PG2 had higher production values with more actors and better sets and back then it set adult gaming narrative light years apart from consoles. Even today you'll rarely see a game combining sex and gore to such a degree. There were many edited versions across various regions.

It is also odd that PG1 never saw a console release in the West, even an edited one, but game was ported to the Sega Saturn in Japan. Largest Saturn game with 8 CDs.

Black Dahlia was also one of the last good efforts for a solid FMV adventure game, before the companies abandoned the genre in favour of cheaper 3d models.
Phantasmagoria and Gabriel Knight 2 were also responsible partially for Sierra's economic woes later on. Very expensive games for their time and very labor intensive to produce.
Especially the final chapter of Phantasmagoria must have been a creative nightmare for the producers. But even today that chapter remains the most tense moment I've experienced in a horror video game. Nothing comes close.
PG2 was also the first video game to feature an openly gay character.

PG2 had higher production values with more actors and better sets and back then it set adult gaming narrative light years apart from consoles. Even today you'll rarely see a game combining sex and gore to such a degree. There were many edited versions across various regions.

It is also odd that PG1 never saw a console release in the West, even an edited one, but game was ported to the Sega Saturn in Japan. Largest Saturn game with 8 CDs.

Well I the format of the game and it's inventory doesn't really work well for consoles, I recall Saturn version of PG1 having bad reviews back in the say.

As for FMV games, there was apparently supposed to be a PG3, which would have people filmed in different positions so you could move them in real-time, thus making an evolution of FMV by having real-time movement and gameplay with a high quality camera filming everything. But such a thing would be so expensive and time consuming, and Sierra wasn't in the best of shapes that it was scrapped. though it would have been the natural evolution of FMV.

Of course a game like that with 2D's cameras would destroy any need for powerful consoles so I guess in a way it's a good thing it died and a bad thing it died.

Top Bottom