• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Blade 0 Game Length Is 30-40 Hours, Features Multiplayer

Draugoth

Gold Member
phantom-blade-zero-5.jpg.webp

One of the major surprises at Sony’s recent PlayStation Showcase was the reveal of S-Game’s Phantom Blade Zero. While we did see what looked liked gameplay, the studio has now relayed a lot more info about it such as the Phantom Blade Zero game length, whether what we saw was in-game and more.

In a Q&A conducted on the game’s Discord, the studio answered a few important questions. For one, we now know that the Phantom Blade Zero game length will take gamers up to 30-40 hours to complete the main story. There’s also multiplayer confirmed as well.

Question 1: Is there an assigned game price?
Not yet, we’ll discuss this issue with our partners when most part of the game is done.

Question 2: Explain whether if the combat we saw was actual combat and how does the combat works on the different controllers (Phone, PC, Console)
Yes, all combat scenes are captured in-engine, they are real. But we set a more “cinematic” camera to capture the trailer footage, some angles are specially set.
The actual game will have a stable camera with larger view scope. The combat will look much clearer, but less impactful as it is in the trailer(or it’ll be too dizzying).
“Combo Chain” is a system we have been developed for 10 years, in mobile games for most of the time, but we found it work on all kinds of controllers just fine. Players will edit their skill orders in 2 chains, and simply press the 2 bottoms to release super complex and fast combos. This makes everyone’s gameplay look like a professional twitcher of DMC or Ninja Gaiden. But there are still depth in how to organize the skill order, and other timing related skills(parry, dodge, etc).

Question 3: How long is the game?
Main story alone is about 30~40h, and there are tons of side quests to play with.
Upon completing the story mode, players are presented with a plethora of endgame content that includes various multiplayer dungeons, boss rushes, rogue-like abysses, and more.

Question 4: How we define the Phantom Blade Zero? Will it be like Ninja Gaiden / DMC or like Sekiro?
Kind of mix, the adventure map has multiple paths forward, and combat is similar to Ninja Gaiden. You can understand it as a traditional hack & slash with semi-open world map instead of a linear map.

Question 5: About the release time? and how long has the game been in development?
Release time is a question we can’t answer yet.
Early concept of the game has been written & designed since 2017, but limited to 2~3 core members. The actual development starts in early 2022.

Question 6: Will it be time exclusive or release at the same time on other platforms?
For now we don’t have any exclusivity on any platform.

Question 7: Is the game open world?
Not that kind of vast open world you need a horse to ride from point A to point B. But it does have multiple paths and some open world elements.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Interesting comments. Sounds like you create custom combo strings in the menus then just hold the button down for it to work. Hard to tell from his description.

Also says there's no exclusivity deal, which is a bit surprising.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This looks awesome and far more interesting than Lies of P and other similar, mediocre and boring souls-likes with stupid steampunk robots. I'm pretty sure Sony will grab this one for 1 year exclusivity (they literally have nothing else for the next 1,5 and maybe even 2 years) so I'll buy and play it on PC eventually.

Last edited:
“Combo Chain” is a system we have been developed for 10 years, in mobile games for most of the time, but we found it work on all kinds of controllers just fine. Players will edit their skill orders in 2 chains, and simply press the 2 bottoms to release super complex and fast combos. This makes everyone’s gameplay look like a professional twitcher of DMC or Ninja Gaiden. But there are still depth in how to organize the skill order, and other timing related skills(parry, dodge, etc).
Not sure if I'm misreading but this sounds like some weird A For Awesome auto combat system? But the gameplay I checked real quick appears to have regular Char Action style inputs? Is this Combo Chain thing just an accessibility feature?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Youtube comments full of people desperate to say this isn't a Soulslike. It absolutely is, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's PC day 1, but I really like that Sony is still investing in smaller AAA games, even if they don't own or publish them

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Question 4: How we define the Phantom Blade Zero? Will it be like Ninja Gaiden / DMC or like Sekiro?
Kind of mix, the adventure map has multiple paths forward, and combat is similar to Ninja Gaiden. You can understand it as a traditional hack & slash with semi-open world map instead of a linear map.
Fuck yeah, glad to read it's more of a character-action game rather than another souls-like.

Lupin25

But it's also coming to Xbox ?
From what I gather, this is another Baldur's gate 3 scenario where Series S most prolly fucked up their plans for a simultaneous release but IT IS coming to Xbox...

Shit I have no idea. The combos look SICK tho.

Might be a timed exclusive. Should be on Xb Series sooner rather than later we’ll have to wait on that. 2025 is a ways away still.

Top Bottom