• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Blade Zero Game Length Is 30-40 Hours, Multiplayer Confirmed, Combat Scenes Captured In-Engine

Canned animations highlighted.

Reminds me of when I first saw Tao Feng and thought it was going to be an amazing fighting game.
When I got it I realized it was a shitty game with cool canned animations for certain grabs.

Don't do this. You're mixing in facts with misinformation. Here are the facts:

1) There is a difference between Chinese and Korean video games. Chinese high profile games have had a horrible track record lately of not coming out, being fake, or releasing in a manner that wasn't what they advertised at all.
2) Korean last gen/current gen games have come out, and on a regular enough basis too. The issue is that many people expect them to not be online games or MMOs, and they end up being just that.
3) There have been tons of indie games that have been great and not forgotten/not tanked, which is why they end up getting sequels or at best, help a smaller studio grow into a larger one which ends up making some great high profile games years down the line that people like yourself might end up enjoying.

If you disagree on these last two points, especially the last point, that's just jadedness. Lumping everything together into one big ball of negativity simply because you weren't satisfied with a single video game showcase, isn't related to the potential issues with this game itself.

There's more than enough bad history that nobody should get excited for something like Phantom Blade or other games games from that showcase unless they are already in stores with good reviews. I know Koreans can make online games, I was there for the OGs like Gunbound and Maplestory, lol. Yet none of these mobile developers have proven that they can produce a singleplayer experience/AAA game. Granblue Fantasy Relink looks like it is finally coming out of like 7 year development hell - but where's Project Awakening and the other things announced by Cygames at the same time? Where's Stellar Blade? Where is that weird Pokemon clone from the Geoff Keighley shows? Mobile developers who made enough bank with MTX games so they can afford to make crazy tech demos, buy themselves into press conference spotlight, but then they need to actually start developing and vanish...

Last edited:
None of these mobile developers have proven that they can produce a singleplayer experience/AAA game. Granblue Fantasy Relink looks like it is finally coming out of like 7 year development hell - but where's Project Awakening and the other things announced by Cygames at the same time? Where's Stellar Blade? Where is that weird Pokemon clone from the Geoff Keighley shows? Mobile developers who made enough bank with MTX games so they can afford to make crazy tech demos, buy themselves into press conference spotlight, but then they need to actually start developing and vanish...
I’m curious about this too, because there aren’t enough answers. If their purpose is to get investment money, then how does that work in China? How are they able to get this money and then have nothing to show for it for years? Do they just pay it back using their mobile profits? There must be some trick I’m not seeing.

At least from what I’ve seen of Korean publishers and studios, those devs are on the clock and the clock’s ticking. Of those games you’ve listed that are from Korean studios, I know they’ll eventually come out rather soon, because their publishers and investors take things more seriously and will be pushy about having their investment pay off in a reasonable time frame. Again, their main issue is making online games(or at worse online grindy games) appear like straightforward single player experiences. That’s just false advertising.

Top Bottom