• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer decides in 2021 that all games from Bethesda would become exclusive to Xbox. Proceeds to lie about it in court.

Shut0wen

I might have misunderstood, but I thought Sony didn't want to share information regarding future consoles. I did not have the impression that dev kits after they ship consoles was an issue for them.
I know bethesda were given dev kits before the accusation but not sure if they have ordered them back from bethesda dev kits are usually contract based so not sure

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Would he still be lying under oath if TES6 gets ported to Ninty/Sony too?

Topher

Gold Member
Have you been following at all? They aren’t really concerned with CoD exclusivity but originally stated they were before all the documents came out.

Ryan said he didn't think the acquisition wasn't about exclusivity in January 2022. Those were his initial thoughts. Later, Ryan emailed Phil Spencer that the terms offered were not adequate.

None of that indicates not caring about exclusivity at all.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Like Jim Ryan saying PS can’t survive with CoD but internally stated they don’t really care. Guy in suits are liars. Everyone 🛑 crying.
ZKNhZGo.gif

When did Jim Ryan say they don't care?
There was an article the other day about an email from Jim to someone internally with Playstation in which he stated he did not care. Showed the actual email and the person he had written it to. So yes Jim Lyin Ryan is no better than Phil. They are all a bunch of suits that will say or do whatever it takes to upend the other.

Topher

Gold Member
There was an article the other day about an email from Jim to someone internally with Playstation in which he stated he did not care. Showed the actual email and the person he had written it to. So yes Jim Lyin Ryan is no better than Phil. They are all a bunch of suits that will say or do whatever it takes to upend the other.

I'm not suggesting Jim Ryan is any better than Phil Spencer, but I have yet to see Jim Ryan say anywhere that he doesn't care about COD or the possibility of it becoming exclusive.

That's the email where Ryan says he didn't see the acquisition as a play for COD exclusivity. If that's what the other posts are referring to then they are reading it wrong.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting Jim Ryan is any better than Phil Spencer, but I have yet to see Jim Ryan say anywhere that he doesn't care about COD or the possibility of it becoming exclusive.

That's the email where Ryan says he didn't see the acquisition as a play for COD exclusivity. If that's what the other posts are referring to then they are reading it wrong.
Yeah I agree after reading it myself. It does seem like Jim Ryan is saying we will be okay because CoD isn’t going exclusive. It is crazy to think they need that single game that badly. I think most of the takes regarding the email were wrong.

Last edited:
Have you been following at all? They aren’t really concerned with CoD exclusivity but originally stated they were before all the documents came out.
COD exclusivity, potential degraded versions or one-sided subscription deals wouldn’t necessarily be a problem for Sony, but Jim Ryan’s stance changed in August when Phil Spencer couldn’t commit to PlayStation not receiving always receiving the games from Activision that they normally expected to receive. Essentially, outside of a 5 year deal for COD (at that time), Sony couldn’t rely on any new Activision games.

So far as we know, that hasn’t changed in terms of the deal offered.

In that situation, not having COD is a bigger deal.

Fabieter

The only difference between these two is that at least Phil Spencer is charismatic lol.

Imo hes just full of sales and pr quotes. He doesn't come across natural in the way he talks to us. Yoshida from sony was one of the few consoles executives where I would call them natural and likeable.

COD exclusivity, potential degraded versions or one-sided subscription deals wouldn’t necessarily be a problem for Sony, but Jim Ryan’s stance changed in August when Phil Spencer couldn’t commit to PlayStation not receiving always receiving the games from Activision that they normally expected to receive. Essentially, outside of a 5 year deal for COD (at that time), Sony couldn’t rely on any new Activision games.

So far as we know, that hasn’t changed in terms of the deal offered.

In that situation, not having COD is a bigger deal.

And what we need to remember is that the commentators and influencers have focused on what was ‘said’ at the hearing.

The judge will have access to all the non-redacted documents and a timeline of when things were said and done. She’ll also have the numbers.

I of course don’t have access to all the information like she does, but from the little we do know, Microsoft appear to be foreclosing or at least have strong internal desire to do so. Given what they’ve done with Bethesda, the judge may see that as post-acquisition foreclosure and given that Activision properties generate far more income for Sony, she may decide that Microsoft cannot be trusted to keep to their words in court.

The FTC need only to provide enough doubt for them to be granted their temporary injunction until a full hearing.

Random about the quote.

Last edited:

RespawnX

And what we need to remember is that the commentators and influencers have focused on what was ‘said’ at the hearing.

The judge will have access to all the non-redacted documents and a timeline of when things were said and done. She’ll also have the numbers.

I of course don’t have access to all the information like she does, but from the little we do know, Microsoft appear to be foreclosing or at least have strong internal desire to do so. Given what they’ve done with Bethesda, the judge may see that as post-acquisition foreclosure and given that Activision properties generate far more income for Sony, she may decide that Microsoft cannot be trusted to keep to their words in court.

The FTC need only to provide enough doubt for them to be granted their temporary injunction until a full hearing.

Random about the quote.
People are overseeing judge biggest focus. Microsoft and Sony aren’t at court to check if any fanboy feelings get hurt. Even if Sony is right with their fears about exclusivity, this is still not an argument against acquisition. Antitrust law isnt intended to protect company from a larger competitor that would then become stronger. That's why Sony's and the FTC's argumentation was doomed to fail from the start. The only question for judge is whether the takeover will block competition in the future. Answer is clearly no. It’s up to Sony to create and establish a similarly successful shooter series on its own at any time in the future. If they can't do that without Microsoft, that's their problem, not a competition law one. For anything else vote for protectionism and China. Even if they remove CoD from Sony the day after acquisition it would be absolutely conform with law. Stop crying and start to develop your own shit. Or buy it, what Sony also did in past. As far as we know that’s they only thing judge cares for, completely opposite from media and social media click driven reactions. Would be really surprised if acquisition gets blocked.

Top Bottom