• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer decides in 2021 that all games from Bethesda would become exclusive to Xbox. Proceeds to lie about it in court.

Fabieter

Jim said Sony couldn’t survive without Call of Duty, then email comes out that he didn’t believe that. My point is both sides are doing this constantly, MS and Sony only care to the point that you buy stuff from them. I am just surprised that people believed any other narrative at any time.

He isnt any better but jim ryan isn't as popular as spencer because he is like that.

Yes, I believed it. I think people would have been mad if they were all exclusive from the beginning. So when he said the opposite, I was thinking "surely he wouldn't lie about that right?"
I believe that reaction you were saying is the reason he didn’t come out and so they would be entirely exclusive. And left it with language that someone who wanted to believe it could rationalize that future Bethesda games might not be.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why do I see a lot of the YouTubers saying the FTC is in the wrong but every headline is a clusterfuck for MS don’t get it.

Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Caught lying under oath to probably the only person that will either make or break the abk deal as per what Bobby Kotick statement yesterday. Youre right, xbox has nothing to worry about.
He didn't lie. He said, platforms are undecided for ES6. They might bring it to PS. Game not coming out before 2028.

Jim also said something else in email privately to MS about CoD and to court he said something else. So he lying under oath?
Phill can always say company policy changed we now undecided or we might bring in future. He gave no commited answer.

Come on man you all hate the guy so much, that just looking for reasons to crucify him lol.

Last edited:

Fabieter

He didn't lie. He said, platforms are undecided for ES6. They might bring it to PS. Game not coming out before 2028.

Jim also said something else in email privately to MS about CoD and to court he said something else. So he lying under oath?
Phill can always say company policy changed we now undecided or we might bring in future. He gave no commited answer.

Come on man you all hate the guy so much, that just looking for reasons to crucify him lol.

Even that wouldn't be believeable after they paid a fee to disney to change the contract for an already multiplatform game. After that "we make all Bethesda games exclusive" is more believeable.

Three

Jim said Sony couldn’t survive without Call of Duty, then email comes out that he didn’t believe that. My point is both sides are doing this constantly, MS and Sony only care to the point that you buy stuff from them. I am just surprised that people believed any other narrative at any time.
Jim said in an early email he thinks that Activision games will remain on Playstation. That has nothing to do with Call of Duty not being critical content. These are not even contradictory in the first place.

Even that wouldn't be believeable after they paid a fee to disney to change the contract for an already multiplatform game. After that "we make all Bethesda games exclusive" is more believeable.
Case by case

There are lot of Zenimax games pn PS which helps there case. Some you keep exclusive and some you make platform. You think they dont have counter to this in court, trust me those lawyers taking 2000$/ hr know what they doing lol

Last edited:

DJ12

Yup Don brought games like Kinect adventures and forced that shit on us and told us to buy 360 if we care about online games. He gave us the shit we wanted.
No no, xbox fans brought it on themselves by swearing Kinect was the best thing since sliced bread when it released on the 360 when MS were too dumb just to try a make a slightly better wiimote like Sony did.

I bet if you search this very forum you'll find thousand of posts extoling the virtues of "xbox on"

Last edited:

Fabieter

Case by case

There are lot of Zenimax games which helps there case. Some you keep exclusive and some you make platform. You think they dont have counter to this in court, trust me those lawyers taking 2000$/ hr know what they doing lol

It has to be believeable. And so far you have to look away to not the the whole picture but sure some people can sell you shit for gold.

Goliath77

No no, xbox fans brought it on themselves by swearing Kinect was the best thing since sliced bread when it released on the 360 when MS were too dumb just to try a make a slightly better wiimote like Sony did.
I actually think the Wii was the downfall of the 360. Microsoft saw all the casuals jump on board and were blinded by chasing those profits for years. Thats where it all started going wrong for them I reckon

Banjo64

cumsessed
So you were happy what he did to Xbox and almost killed it. Lol
Yeah, delighted. The 10 years that followed with no games of note apart from a third party Ori 1&2 has been much better.

Pentiment is higher on meta.You shitting game coz of its art style and old school design. That doesn't mean it was bad game
Muh meta. Post your cheevos in Pentiment if it’s so great.

Mr.Phoenix

I am not saying they are equivalent in scale, but unless the buy makes Microsoft an unstoppable force, this is just competition.
Say you and I were getting into a drag race. And you come with an engine twice as powerful as mine. While that doesn't guarantee you win, it does give you a 99% chance of winning. Unless you somehow miss the green light. The FTC, CMA is there for this exact reason. To stop companies from becoming an unstoppable force. It's not something you ignore until it happens, it's something you focus on to make sure it doesn't happen.

And while this deal alone will not make that happen, but there is a clear precedent. They just acquired Bethesda, and then less than 12 months later, are in for ABK. If that is not enough to get your ears up? then think of this... in the industry, MS is competing in... Xbox, compared to its rivals, Playstation and Nintendo... get this... that $85B attempted net spend, in a 12month window, is more money than Sony and Nintendo has made from total gaming-related revenue... in 2 years... COMBINED.

Still think its just competition?

The head of PlayStation has documented that this acquisition does not put Sony in a bad position.
That is not what he said. Not even in the slightest. If he felt it doesn't put them in a bad position, why are they against it?

He said he has nothing against Starfeid being exclusive... that is not the same as saying he has no problem with the acquisitions MS are making or trying to make.

And again... this is not about the head of PlayStation, this is about Phil lying. Do you not understand that?

Yeah, delighted. The 10 years that followed with no games of note apart from a third party Ori 1&2 has been much better.

Muh meta. Post your cheevos in Pentiment if it’s so great.
So you ok with no competition in market. PS will not release third person over the shoulders bangers if they dont see competition in market. Your hate for Xbox so much, that you ok with PS only player in market with no competition whatsoever?

Also I never said I like Pentiment personally, but universally it got good reviews and many liked it. So you saying game is bad coz its not your type of game?. There are many games in different genre that i don't like but i will not go around bashing it.

I don't like Persona games. So they bad? If they dont release your type games then Xbox has no games?

Come on. Remove the hate in your heart lol

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
Can people not read, or do they just not care to read? Phil said in court earlier tis week that TES 6 exclusivity had not been decided yet. Today, emails from 2021 say they decided to make all Bethesda games going forward exclusive. Its not about what a company does with its third party, it what they said in court vs what they said in emails.
Taking about doing a thing 2 years ago potentially va doing it are not the same

I bet if you search this very forum you'll find thousand of posts extoling the virtues of "xbox on"
Clearly fans to be blamed. Don shoving that up everyone throat was not the reason and i don't know who those fans were coz most were sick of kinect

Banjo64

cumsessed
So you ok with no competition in market.
They bought 10 or 15 studios, including Zenimax. That is more than enough to compete. It’s not the consumer’s fault or Sony’s that M$ management can’t put out an elite game to save their lives.

PS will not release third person over the shoulders bangers if they dont see competition in market. Your hate for Xbox so much,
I don’t own a PlayStation or Xbox.

that you ok with PS only player in market with no competition whatsoever?
I don’t agree that Microsoft should be able to deliberately target Sony’s revenue streams because they are inept, no.

Also I never said I like Pentiment personally, but universally it got good reviews and many liked it. So you saying game is bad coz it’s not your type of game?. There are many games in different genre that i don't like but i will not go around bashing it.
Surprise surprise. You and me both pal.

I don't like Persona games. So they bad? If they dont release your type games then Xbox has no games?
Yeah, Persona is weeb shit.

Come on. Remove the hate in your heart lol
No.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Clearly fans to be blamed. Don shoving that up everyone throat was not the reason and i don't know who those fans were coz most were sick of kinect
Yes they are to be blamed. Kinect sold shit loads. The same thing is true for the "hate" of MTX and Battle Passes. They exist because the consumer buys them.

DJ12

I see you are a revisionists historian, I have a colleague at work who was telling me when he brought his xbox one that the kinect made the extra expense over a ps4 totally worth it as he would've brought one anyway, and he loved controlling his tv through it.

Last edited:

Moneal

Taking about doing a thing 2 years ago potentially va doing it are not the same
They have done exactly that on all the games that didn't have a contract prior to the purchase, well except for the Indy game, they got Disney to rework that one for exclusivity. So it wasn't just talk.

Top Bottom