• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer decides in 2021 that all games from Bethesda would become exclusive to Xbox. Proceeds to lie about it in court.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Re: Phil

giphy.gif

Moneal

Makes sense. MS is under no obligation to put anything on ps.
What does that have to do with this thread? Of course they have every right to do what they want with the IP they own. Phil said in court yesterday they had not decided on the exclusivity of TES6. This info is directly counter to that testimony, saying that MS made the decision for all new Zenimax games to be exclusive in Nov 2021. That is what this thread is about. Maybe you didn't read or thought you were in a different thread.

Yes they are to be blamed. Kinect sold shit loads. The same thing is true for the "hate" of MTX and Battle Passes. They exist because the consumer buys them.
Casuals gamers exist in every community who just buy any products whether good or not. I mean just look at Switch. Perfect example of it.

:)

Last edited:

cireza

People really have no clue on what happens in big, private companies in terms of internal discussions. Whatever they say at some point, it can change to the complete opposite some time later. These are discussions between people with available resources and money, thinking on all the possible ways to use them.

They can decide one thing at some point and change their minds later. There is a lot of back and forth in the decision process... What matters is the final decision that leads to actions, and these are publicly shared. This is why any internal email or discussion don't care any weight. They can serve as a basis for questioning, but obviously you can say that you decided the exact opposite of what was discussed and it wouldn't be an issue at all...

Last edited:

Helghan

Oh great, people can't change their opinion anymore... Apparently they need to stick with it to the end. Great way of doing business too. Just go one way, and never re-think a strategy, or adept based on changed market dynamics. What's next? VR really takes off, Microsoft makes a VR goggle and everyone keeps pointing out that they said they weren't interested 5 years ago? It's like you're all in high school.

Unknown?

People really have no clue on what happens in big, private companies in terms of internal discussions. Whatever they say at some point, it can change to the complete opposite some time later. These are discussions between people with available resources and money, thinking on all the possible ways to use them.

They can decide one thing at some point and change their minds later. There is a lot of back and forth in the decision process... What matters is the final decision that leads to actions, and these are publicly shared. This is why any internal email or discussion don't care any weight. They can serve as a basis for questioning, but obviously you can say that you decided the exact opposite of what was discussed and it wouldn't be an issue at all...
Yeah? Then there'd be emails discussing that change as well.

Three

It's comical how backwards you have it. It's the internal emails that carry the most weight and the public relations bullshit that has no weight.

Three

I thought he already did that, didn't he? He testified in court that it has not yet been decided whether TES VI will be an exclusive title or not. And published mails / chat logs show that the decision has long been made.

That's a lie, isn't it?
It's plausible deniability which is why he can get away with it. There was clear written email evidence of him saying make ALL games exclusive but in court he was saying it's far out and undecided. They did the same crap with Obsidians game. They announced it as exclusive already but in court pretended it was "undecided". They can do that nonsense in court but anybody with half a brain knows what's really happening.

Last edited:

Helghan

I thought he already did that, didn't he? He testified in court that it has not yet been decided whether TES VI will be an exclusive title or not. And published mails / chat logs show that the decision has long been made.

That's a lie, isn't it?
Because a business decision can change? If Starfield goes on PS5 in 3 years, does it make it a lie that it's currently exclusive?

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Because a business decision can change? If Starfield goes on PS5 in 3 years, does it make it a lie that it's currently exclusive?
But as it stands now, the decision has been made - at least according to the published internal chats (which Phil apparently didn't know were going to be revealed).

Of course, the exclusive status can change in the next three years. But if the current status is "TES 6 will be exclusive", but Phil says "Nope, we don't know at the moment" - then that's a lie. To tell the truth, he should have said, "As of now, it's going to be exclusive, but that may change."

Helghan

But as it stands now, the decision has been made - at least according to the published internal chats (which Phil apparently didn't know were going to be revealed).

Of course, the exclusive status can change in the next three years. But if the current status is "TES 6 will be exclusive", but Phil says "Nope, we don't know at the moment" - then that's a lie. To tell the truth, he should have said, "As of now, it's going to be exclusive, but that may change."
Wasn't it also said that he is the decision maker on exclusives? So basically if he changes his mind, which he can do whenever he wants, he's not lying.

cireza

Yeah? Then there'd be emails discussing that change as well.
Maybe there are ? You can also discuss in real life, not only through emails. Obviously if the end decision that we saw contradicts said email, then something must have happened 🙃

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Yeah look at all the lies ms have been caught in, and admission that what these regulators fear are what they are trying to do and MS still going to win this.

Shock horror her son works at ms.

Strange parallels to the case johnny depp lost in the uk as that judges son worked at the sun who were on trial.

Is not what you can prove but where your offspring work

I hope in a few months he gets sacked and the judges corruption comes to light
The fanboy fanfic in this thread are hilarious. I feel bad for you if you truly believe this.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Jim Ryan lies, Gafers: oh... that's... bad, right?
Phil Spencer lies, Gafers: I HOPE YOU ROTTEN IN HELL!
No wonder, after all, Phil has been celebrated as Good Guy Phil for years, who only does everything for the gamers.
The last few days have underlined that he is no better than Jim Ryan and just as full of shit as everyone else in this business.

SmokedMeat

Gamerâ„¢
Common sense should tell you case by case means old $10 ports of games like Quake and classic Doom. Maybe Hexen in the future.

Big new releases like Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein…everything will be exclusive to Xbox/PC going forward.

At this point it’s like watching reruns over and over again. Lying Phil. Good guy Phil. Phil’s not your friend, and he’s not going to bring his games over to a competing console the same way Jim Ryan won’t. Not unless there’s a reason, like a GaaS title where you want to milk as many people as possible.

Unknown?

Maybe there are ? You can also discuss in real life, not only through emails. Obviously if the end decision that we saw contradicts said email, then something must have happened 🙃
That surely would have been brought up to the FTC. The end decision hasn't even happened yet so we don't know how they will actually act on this. It's entirely possible that they change their mind after a public statement as well. Their public statement was so vague anyway that it literally could be one one-off game and that's it.

History shows not to trust what PR comes from a CEO, especially at Microsoft.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wasn't it also said that he is the decision maker on exclusives? So basically if he changes his mind, which he can do whenever he wants, he's not lying.
I once took a loan from a friend, promising that I'll pay him back. Later I changed my mind, which I could whenever I wanted to, and did not pay him back.

Dude is pissed with me. I have no idea why.

I did not lie to him. I just "changed my mind."

cireza

Their public statement was so vague anyway that it literally could be one one-off game and that's it.
And that would be enough to make the statement true anyway.

There is already the Quake remaster that has been released on Switch/PS after the buyout, Fallout 4 coming to PS5, as well as existing games being updated and getting additional content (Elder Scrolls, Fallout 76, Doom Eternal...).

Last edited:

splattered

Someone can change their minds over the course of 2 years, unless there are signed contracts in place, that's why it's important for Sony to sign the deal and move on from this.

Unknown?

And that would be enough to make the statement true anyway.

There is already the Quake remaster that has been released on Switch/PS after the buyout, Fallout 4 coming to PS5, as well as existing games being updated and getting additional content (Elder Scrolls, Fallout 76, Doom Eternal...).
I see you're learning about how to say one thing in a way to sound different than the actual words to fool people into thinking differently.

I once took a loan from a friend, promising that I'll pay him back. Later I changed my mind, which I could whenever I wanted to, and did not pay him back.

Dude is pissed with me. I have no idea why.

I did not lie to him. I just "changed my mind."
In this example though you already created an obligation by taking the money. PS never got anything in this example. This would be like your friend saying he would give you a loan and changing his mind. You wouldn’t consider him a liar.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Does bethesda still have the license for dev kits for the ps5? It seemed hinted pretty hard that sony doesnt want to give dev kits to any developer under microsoft studio (mojang) cant help but think the last game tango works did would actually do well on ps5 and switch if it was possible, probably find out next year

NickFire

Does bethesda still have the license for dev kits for the ps5? It seemed hinted pretty hard that sony doesnt want to give dev kits to any developer under microsoft studio (mojang) cant help but think the last game tango works did would actually do well on ps5 and switch if it was possible, probably find out next year
I might have misunderstood, but I thought Sony didn't want to share information regarding future consoles. I did not have the impression that dev kits after they ship consoles was an issue for them.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
No wonder, after all, Phil has been celebrated as Good Guy Phil for years, who only does everything for the gamers.
The last few days have underlined that he is no better than Jim Ryan and just as full of shit as everyone else in this business.
The only difference between these two is that at least Phil Spencer is charismatic lol.

AAhgD55.png
And alas…. the lies of Phil aka FIBBER PHIL are coming to light day by day as this courtroom drama unfolds. To be fair, Jim LYING RYAN is not much better imho though.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Biggest group of liars in gaming history in one place under the absolute pinnacle of liars, Phillip " Snake Oil god" Spencer. Can someone find me a bigger group of liars?

1. Phil Spencer
2. Aaron Greenberg
3. Todd Howard
4. Lawrence "Major Nelson" Hryb

And they're all under one roof -The house of Xbox

Crayon

Biggest group of liars in gaming history in one place under the absolute pinnacle of liars, Phillip " Snake Oil god" Spencer. Can someone find me a bigger group of liars?

1. Phil Spencer
2. Aaron Greenberg
3. Todd Howard

Hey if they don't deserve credit for starfield, they don't deserve credit for todd lol.

Otherwise, yeah. This company has got away with murder with strategically placed influencer fanboys, fud campaigns, and a rotten kind of community outreach it's all lies lies lies.

Goliath77

1. Phil Spencer
2. Aaron Greenberg
3. Todd Howard

You forgot Albert Penello to complete the set :)

Lol and??? There’s nothing anyone can do about it.

Who here was actually listening to PR like it’s gospel?
Because, if your only a PlayStation owner why would you do this to yourself? Why?
Microsoft bought them and are free to do with the games as they please, there is no law or moral ground that says you can’t do that.

From the very beginning of this Bethesda buyout it should of been assumed that everything is going to be exclusive unless stated other wise.

graywolf323

Lol and??? There’s nothing anyone can do about it.

Who here was actually listening to PR like it’s gospel?
Because, if your only a PlayStation owner why would you do this to yourself? Why?
Microsoft bought them and are free to do with the games as they please, there is no law or moral ground that says you can’t do that.

From the very beginning of this Bethesda buyout it should of been assumed that everything is going to be exclusive unless stated other wise.
you’re contradicting yourself, this is exactly why it matters

Microsoft was publicly stating otherwise

Top Bottom