• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piledrivin' for the Lord: Christian Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040724/NEWS/407240316/1021

Tully Blanchard, Ric Flair's former partner in World Championship Wrestling, offered his own testimony during a break in the match and stood ready at the altar call -- a regular feature of UCW events - to counsel any new believers. Though none approached the ring that evening, wrestling, he said later, can win souls that conventional worship can't. "If you're fishing, and you don't catch fish, change bait."

Fields' precepts are simple: No blood, no profanity, no rude gestures, no scantily clad divas. Even the UCW "heels," or bad guys, refrain from insulting their opponents or any fans.

This restraint doesn't seem to disappoint the fans. John Rowell, 34, a Woodstock resident and a manager for a chain-link fence company, approved UCW's head-knocking evangelism and brought his 8-year-old son Tyler to the Zoom Town match.

"There are other ways, other than going to church, to get the word out," he said, adding that wrestling encompasses universal themes. "This is good and evil."

Truly.

In one match a pair of bad guys had bested a babyface -- a good guy -- and were ready to power-bomb the fellow through a folding table when Adonis stepped in to offer himself as a Christ-like substitute. Boom. Through the table he went.

But, as one learns from Corinthians, and from the "Rocky" movies, you shouldn't count out a babyface before the bell.

"My message," said Fields, "is even when you're down, you're not really down. Your job as a Christian is to keep kicking. It's not over until Gabriel's trumpet sounds."

In one match a pair of bad guys had bested a babyface -- a good guy -- and were ready to power-bomb the fellow through a folding table when Adonis stepped in to offer himself as a Christ-like substitute. Boom. Through the table he went.

eh...

ehh?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'd love to go to one of these, just to observe their booking style. There's no way they'd emulate the current WWE-style, and old-school booking depends on clearcut faces and heels, so they're either wrestling for the sake of wrestling (doesn't sound like it) or they don't really bother with the SE aspect at all.

you think satan can tell us what to do?
you think satan can tell us what to wear?
well you better get ready, to bow to the master...

PRAISE THE LORD!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
As a Christian, I must say I don't understand why people think they have to do things to appeal to people and manipulate them (evil) into salvation, it's just not going to work. Jesus wasn't into people-pleasing, and the only apostle showing anything close to that is Paul. But he only related to people so they would understand the message he was teaching (i.e. jews were concerned about doctrine, gentiles needed to know there was only one true God, etc).

Memles

I saw something like this on some CTV show in Canada about the crisis of faith among young people, and how they need to bring more young people into the fold. And, yep, they were having full scale wrestling matches, with some of the crappiest looking moves I've seen.

I saw like 15 armdrags, that was about it.

Yet another strike against the mix of Jesus and Wrestling.

I'm sure somewhere in Christian fundamentalism this sort of thing is going to make all those associated with it burn in hell too. You just can't get around the rules in the Bible. I'm waiting until Jack T Chick makes a comic about Christian Wrestling being the work of the Devil.

FightyF

Banned
If Kane showed up people would start crapping their pants. Especially when he's being mobbed by 20 other wrestlers and he's not selling anything. I'd pay to watch that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom