• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's 50 Best Albums of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Check out the full list here. The top 20:

20. Nicolas Jaar - Sirens
19. Rihanna - ANTI
18. Mitski - Puberty 2
17. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
16. Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.
15. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
14. Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
13. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
12. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
11. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
10. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
9. Angel Olsen - My Woman
8. ANOHNI - Hopelessness
7. A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
6. Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
5. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
4. David Bowie - Blackstar
3. Beyoncé - Lemonade
2. Frank Ocean - Blonde

1. Solange - A Seat at the Table

Pretty surprising pick for #1, but well deserved all the way.

Admit it lads if TLOP was released by Lil Boat it would be a 5/10 and Pitchfork would write a long artsy review criticism every minute detail

Coloring Book is trash too replace that with Tribe

Grakl

Admit it lads if TLOP was released by Lil Boat it would be a 5/10 and Pitchfork would write a long artsy review criticism every minute detail

Well atcq is just right there too
But yeah obv should be higher

Holy shit. Pitchfork went for the contrarian
Knowles sister.

Pretty alright list, finally Nico gets some higher recognition on these lists.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Imagine being this mad that Yeezy is still killing it with a 12-year career and 7 straight critically-acclaimed albums.

Your faves could never.

Seesaw15

raw

DocSeuss

I haven't heard of anyone I know talking about this music so it must be trash, other than like... two of those albums, which were great.

Glazed

Anything from 10-20 you all recommend? making a shopping list. I can do anything but metal.
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.
Bon Iver - 22, A Million
Anderson .Paak - Malibu
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

royalan

I don't think I've ever agreed more with a Pitchfork best album's list.

Flip Rihanna with Kanye, and I'm good.

And good for Solange. A Seat at the Table was such an out-of-nowhere slay.

How the fuck is TLOP in the top 20 but Views isn't? Feel No Ways is one of Drakes best songs EVER and I still listen to childs play. These homies is whack but I already knew daaat

Moon Shaped Pool and TLOP are the only albums I've listened to in the top 10. Both were hugely disappointing (TLOP is just bad, Moon Shaped Pool isn't bad but it's the worst Radiohead album since Pablo Honey)

Meh

Really solid list as a whole though. Makes it easy to overlook the albums that p4k snubbed (imo) undeservedly. On top of James Blake I'd also throw in

Deakin
Japanese Breakfast
The Hotelier
Ka
Ty Segall
Preoccupations

as more deserving of a spot then something like Savage Mode or even Vince Staples

Kevtones

Real top 10

1. Danny Brown
2. Jessy Lanza
3. Frank Ocean
4. Whitney
5. Jefre Cantu-Ledesma

6. Bon Iver
7. DIANA
8. The Range
9. Jenny Hval
10. Teen Suicide

overcast

Chance, Rihanna, Frank Ocean, ANONHI and Paak shouldn't be as high as they are. I feel like P4K in particular pushed ANONHI hard for whatever reason.

Paak kills features but I didn't care for Malibu, that said I respect his hustle. Hell, Kendrick shouldn't be that high as his side b collection was just good. Understandably so.

Poor frank, getting second place in pitchforks list for the second time lol.

Awesome choice for number 1. Always preferred solange when it comes to the knowles sisters in terms of music.

I'm kinda happy they showed restraint and didn't put tlop at number 1, since they love Kanye over there at pitchfork.

Can't understand the hate for TLOP, it's a beautiful mess, almost White Album like.

I need to get on with the Knowles sisters I guess. Never really gave a Beyonce album the time of day, but Solange has peaked my curiosity.

My top albums list is mostly safe at this point, I listen to some good stuff but I need to listen to more. For some reason it's hard for me to listen to more than fifteen albums a year, I'm going to check some stuff out the next couple of weeks though. Is GAF going to have an AOTY thread?

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.
Bon Iver - 22, A Million
Anderson .Paak - Malibu
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

tyvm

nico jaar - sirens
blood orange - freetown sound
danny brown - atrocity exhibition

tyvm

Can't understand the hate for TLOP, it's a beautiful mess, almost White Album like.

agree. i still play it regulary

20cent

Banned
Not a single metal album on the list. Not that these aren't 50 great albums, but lol

Korn or Slipknot didn't release any album this year so nothing happened, Metal is dead. And it's Pitchfork anyway..

s/

(oops Korn did release a new album this year)

Cubas

Teens of Denial should be higher and ANTI should be nowhere near a Top 20. I also feel that Blackstar should be in front of Lemonade but solid list otherwise. Guess I should check out Solange's album......

Frank got robbed.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hah. I've bought 59 EPs/LPs so far this year, but I lean heavily electronic, experimental, downtempo, etc. Only four are on that list.

Nicolas Jaar - Sirens
ANOHNI - Hopelessness
David Bowie - Blackstar

I keep waffling on grabbing Anderson .Paak's album. I liked it, but maybe not for $9-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom