• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's 50 Best Albums of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

A Seat at the Table is better than Lemonade.

Kanye deserved top ten, but I think top five is a little high. Still laughing at the haters, though.

Surprised Car Seat Headrest didn't make the top twenty and that Anti did.

Rest of that list is okay.

Solange's album was deffo better than Beyonce's album. Overall though, not really enamoured with this year. All my hyped releases disappointed (Radiohead, Frank, Aphex Twin, to a much lesser extent Danny Brown) and no real new artists I was turned onto.

Fury451

Banned
As someone who enjoys Bon Iver, I don't get the high praise for 22, A Million.

A Tribe Called Quest, Angel Olsen, and Bowie are all solid choices for the top 10

Got some albums to check out from this list though.

RDreamer

TLOP was so ridiculously bad. Any list that has it on the top 30 needs to re evaluate...

As someone who enjoys Bon Iver, I don't get the high praise for 22, A Million.

Yeah I don't get it either. The album sounds like self sabotage. The helium vocals were just too much.

Thanks for the list. I almost never agree with Pitchfork, so I know what 50 albums to avoid now.

You would be missing out on a lot of good albums, I think they did a good job of putting key albums in the Top 20 that I see, even if the order isn't always agreed upon (order is never agreed upon anyways).

krazen

Not a single metal album on the list. Not that these aren't 50 great albums, but lol

It kills me because Pitchfork does an alright job of keeping tabs on metal through the year all things considered...

...then they are no shows in the end of the year lists. Even when blessed with the elusive 'Best New Music'

It's criminal that Pitchfork didn't even review Andy Shauf's The Party.

TLoP is a disjointed mess that wouldve been better released as a mixtape. There is no way it should win out over Freetown Sound.

Edit 1: Blond put me to sleep.

Edit 2: Japanese Breakfast is unbelievably underrated. Went to see them/her here in Madison a few months back. Phenomenal show.

Jakoo

Snublist:

Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp
Tegan and Sara - Love U To Death
Mayer Hawthorne - Man About Town
Animal Collective - Painting With

and you know, what, fuck it:

Weezer - The White Album

olympia

lmao. TLOP is actually great. I listened to it like every day for the first half of the year and I still spin it at least once a week

I'm glad views is getting zero looks. That album is fucking lame

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My list is better, but they picked the better Knowles album of the year.

Bacon

TLOP is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine but I don't think it belongs anywhere near a top ten. It doesn't hold up to his earlier projects and it doesn't hold up to many other rap albums released this year and putting it ahead of ATCQ's stellar album is pretty crazy to me. I can see putting it in the middle of the list but top 5 is a bit much for such an unfocused and inconsistent album.

Squalor

Weird that Pitchfork seemed super enthusiastic about Touche Amore's Stage Four but left it off their top 50.
Not really. One person reviewed it and gave it an 8.1.

The overall list is a compilation off all the writers. It didn't show up on enough lists.

olympia

Weird that Pitchfork seemed super enthusiastic about Touche Amore's Stage Four but left it off their top 50.

they rated it .1 higher than is survived by. idk if "enthusiastic" is the word i would used to describe their reception to that album. I do agree that it should be on there though

I'm glad noname hit the list. pretty great mixtape (or whatever)

Squalor

I was so hyped for VIEWS after IFRTITL and Hotling Bling/Back to Back. Wow did he squander that momentum. Spun VIEWS for two weeks and haven't gone back.
His verse on 2 Chainz's "Big Amount" is better than the whole of Views.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Glad Pitchfork can expose me to upcoming underground artists like Beyonce and Kanye West.

Galang

Banned
Shame Japanese Breakfast went so under the radar. Maybe it's just me, but I found the album to be super dreamy in all the right ways. Just a hunch, but I feel like the follow-up album will make some waves. My fave album of 2016.

Shame Japanese Breakfast went so under the radar. Maybe it's just me, but I found the album to be super dreamy in all the right ways. Just a hunch, but I feel like the follow-up album will make some waves. My fave album of 2016.

It's really, really good.

Feel like Ian Cohen didn't have as much influence on this list as he should have.

Jakoo

My favorite new (to me) artist this year by far.

Her old band Little Big League is also amazing. I hope she does more with that project as well.

People really need to stop making Bon Iver happen. New album is trash after many listens. Such a vapid mess of an album.

That being said, this is a fairly predictable list, and I do like most of the top 10. Would've liked Skeleton Tree in place of Chance or Kanye, since Coloring Book was OK at best and TLOP was pretty mediocre to me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Glad Pitchfork can expose me to upcoming underground artists like Beyonce and Kanye West.
That's what I used to like about Pitchfork's year end lists; even if I didn't follow the site consistently during the year I could get an overview of things I may have missed out on. Now their top 10~ just reads like any other major music publication; I mean, I heard about all of that music just from being a person that's somewhat in-tune with pop culture. I'm not questioning the quality of those albums, but I guess I'm just an old hipster or whatever and have fond memories of when Pitchfork was an alternative/indie site.

Onemic

Surprised James Blake didnt get in.

Happy TLOP placed where it did because it is easily a top 10 album of 2016.

Not a single metal album on the list. Not that these aren't 50 great albums, but lol

I feel that Pitchfork usually doesnt have a lot of internal writers that cover metal, that's why you rarely see them unless they are big names. Usually they'll do a metal top 20 soon after their top 50 list releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom