• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's 50 Best Albums of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakoo

It's easily one of my favourites of the year. Your Best American Girl is my favourite song of 2016, hands down.

I started listening to Puberty2 earlier this year and was so turned off by the first song that I didn't really give it a chance.

However, then I caught Your Best American Girl on an NPR podcast and now I feel like I need to revisit the whole album.

That's what I used to like about Pitchfork's year end lists; even if I didn't follow the site consistently during the year I could get an overview of things I may have missed out on. Now their top 10~ just reads like any other major music publication; I mean, I heard about all of that music just from being a person that's somewhat in-tune with pop culture. I'm not questioning the quality of those albums, but I guess I'm just an old hipster or whatever and have fond memories of when Pitchfork was an alternative/indie site.

I've found GvB a better resource for breaking interesting stuff from the fringes.

Im interested....

They're excellent. Album's called Kodama - it's a sort of concept album linked to Princess Mononoke. There's a lot of metal in their sound, a lot of that Shields-y guitar wash, some Cocteau vocals... I love them. If you prefer the shoegaze to the metal side, as well, go for the previous album, Shelter.

Ros8105

Boring list. Pitchfork used to be a pretty good source for me to discover new music, but I guess I need to go somewhere else now.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Boring list. Pitchfork used to be a pretty good source for me to discover new music, but I guess I need to go somewhere else now.

it's pretty crazy how most of these end of year lists pretty much all have the same shit in the top 10-20. seriously no diversity at all. makes it seem like a huge sham. music is so subjective that i have a seriously hard time believing these picks are sincere. whatever though, i don't care too much about it, just seems pretty fishy.

I really don't get how so many of these lists keep putting on Emily's D+Evolution on there. It is her worst album.

One is the best song on there it's just a 5.5 a few others a tolerable, and the the rest are pretty bad.

Crazyorloco

Imagine being this mad that Yeezy is still killing it with a 12-year career and 7 straight critically-acclaimed albums.

Your faves could never.

I feel the hate on him is really overboard. TLOP is actually pretty great. He's a good artist overall. Great production on the album. Ultralight beam is better than 95 percent of songs out now. My only issue with the album is I wish he didn't rap on wolves.

krazen

I really don't get how so many of these lists keep putting on Emily's D+Evolution on there. It is her worst album.

One is the best song on there it's just a 5.5 a few others a tolerable, and the the rest are pretty bad.

Its a good jazz-prog rock album. We can argue if its better then her usual slower jazz stuff, but taken on its own its a solid record.

LionPride

Banned
it's pretty crazy how most of these end of year lists pretty much all have the same shit in the top 10-20. seriously no diversity at all. makes it seem like a huge sham. music is so subjective that i have a seriously hard time believing these picks are sincere. whatever though, i don't care too much about it, just seems pretty fishy.
It's because those albums in the top 10, are quite possibly the best 10 albums of this year.

Now is part of it a media push? Possibly, but that top 10? I won't exactly argue other than switching Coloring Book and untitled.unmastered and putting Anti higher

Its a good jazz-prog rock album. We can argue if its better then her usual slower jazz stuff, but taken on its own its a solid record.

Hell nah, that shit garbage son. That shit did not come out right. Everything not, Unconditional Love, Judas, One, and Rest in Pleasure, sounds disjointed and irritating to listen to. Good? You sleep.

Onemic

It's her best imo. I'd say Esperanza is right behind it.

Great fusion of jazz and prog. Uncondition Love alternate version is wow. Funk the Fear is wow. Judas too.

Agree with number one 💯💯

Would flip #2 with #3 but of course that wouldn't be surprising for me. Blonde was incredibly boring to me. Kind of wish Nao was on the list somewhere since her album was great too :(

Yeah I'm a bit surprised by this un-Pitchforky Pitchfork list. But they were kind of bending that way since last year.

They have been heading that way for a little while longer than that, but it's definitely accelerated toward a "populist" site since the acquisition by Conde Nast.

That Mitski album has been getting a lot of praise late in the year. I've seen it popping up on all kinds of personal lists.

It is what happens when sites move to using consensus among staff rather than using opinions from individuals. I'm sure you would see it mixed up a bit more if they broke it down into personal top 10s.

When did Pitchfork get so pro Rap/Pop music? Not saying its a bad thing (although personally Rihanna and Kanye arent for me) but I remember back in the day when it was all Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah/ Bloc Party types.

Greg

Everyone should hear that song.

You, reading this. Yes, you. Open a new tab and listen to Mitski's Your Best American Girl. Do it.

Please.
this isn't good

and why does it sound like it was produced by a black metal artist

This list isn't perfect but I like it so much better than all the other lists I've seen so far. This year has made me so happy music-wise:

• Great surprises (to me) like Kaytranada and Dave East
  • Lots of great west coast rap
  • Anderson .Paak!
  • Tribe!!
  • Solange!!!

Servbot24

Banned
Not a single metal album on the list. Not that these aren't 50 great albums, but lol

P4k doesn't really cover much metal from what I recall, it usually only gets coverage if it has indie cross-over like Deafhaven. Also absent from the list is jazz, classical, etc

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Pitchfork sure has changed in the last decade. Haven't really read them in a while, but comparing this year's Top 20, to their Top 20 from 2006 is a pretty stark contrast.

see5harp

Their lists have become more populist and that's okay. At least they have all of the individual genre lists now that offer more opportunity to people who may not care about pop albums or those still listening to metal music. If you want a list that is more unique and that might get you to listen to something new then you should hit independent sites like Tiny Mix Tapes or Gorilla Vs. Bear or a genre specific site like Resident Advisor.

P4k doesn't really cover much metal from what I recall, it usually only gets coverage if it has indie cross-over like Deafhaven. Also absent from the list is jazz, classical, etc

They covered quite a bit this year, both crossover appeal and deep scene stuff. That's why I find this so confusing.

see5harp

If an act isn't big enough to play a general festival then it probably isn't getting on the list. Even experimental electronic acts will play the big festivals. Metal is probably the most insular genre out there next to EDM. No one even knows who these fucking acts are except for the people who listen to it.

Futureman

Pitchfork sure has changed in the last decade. Haven't really read them in a while, but comparing this year's Top 20, to their Top 20 from 2006 is a pretty stark contrast.

I think there is more hip hop/rap/r&b on this year's list than indie rock bands.

While my tastes have been growing recently (Tribe Called Quest will probably be on my top 10 this year... first time for a rap record for me), I do feel like they are slowly moving from away from what I listen to.

see5harp

There was just a lot more bands doing that kind of music at the time. Nowadays you hear Car Seat Headrest and it's some sort of throwback album. "Daddy don't you know that things go in cycles?" The big pop star has always had a place on Pitchfork's best songs of the year lists but to be honest pop albums have just gotten a lot better in years the years since. People like Frank Ocean are working with Jon Brion and a lot of the same people who produced great works in the 2000's. If you don't like or didn't listen to rock music in the 2000's then what in the fuck were you doing with your life?

Onemic

I think there is more hip hop/rap/r&b on this year's list than indie rock bands.

While my tastes have been growing recently (Tribe Called Quest will probably be on my top 10 this year... first time for a rap record for me), I do feel like they are slowly moving from away from what I listen to.

How many acclaimed indie rock albums released this year though? I dont really think Pitchfork has changed much this year vs others moreso than that the output for indie music this year just hasnt been as good as years prior.

Pitchforks shift to cover more R&B/hip hop releases was over 6 years ago.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
No Aesop Rock :( I thought The Impossible Kid was one of the strongest albums I heard this year, but people seem to forget about it, also no mentions in our own faves thread.

see5harp

That and the traditional guitar based indie rock bands of old are now using electronics and becoming a lot more eclectic or they are going the opposite way and doing folk rock projects. Even the guys who got big in the folk revival like Bon Iver is way different than the debut album. At this point I don't even separate folk, rock, and rock/pop/electronic groups like Tame Impala. It's always been just "rock" music in my iTunes library. People who genre tag their library with "indie rock" are the same people who try and separate hip-hop and rap music.

Despera

Banned
It seems some people don't understand the point of these lists.

You check out those 50 album suggestions or whatever and see if you find anything new you may like. Once done with a list it's time to jump on another and so on and so forth.

The ranking means jack shit.

That and the traditional guitar based indie rock bands of old are now using electronics and becoming a lot more eclectic or they are going the opposite way and doing folk rock projects. Even the guys who got big in the folk revival like Bon Iver is way different than the debut album. At this point I don't even separate folk, rock, and rock/pop/electronic groups like Tame Impala. It's always been just "rock" music in my iTunes library. People who genre tag their library with "indie rock" are the same people who try and separate hip-hop and rap music.

What do you mean? You're not a fan of Post-Hardcore New-Wave Alternative Punk NuMetal?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I disagree on Solange's album being better than Beyonce's. It's just not true. Her voice is way too quiet and soft which makes it very hard to listen to her. Her album is still my #2 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom