• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nemmy

Rising for consoles (360) still worth getting without the extra boss rush mode? Damn, would love to see this on consoles too...

It's not really a "boss rush mode". Just a shortcut option in the menu that allows you to quickly fight bosses without playing through their whole chapters. It's handy, but not really a deal breaker IMO.

If it's a "360 or nothing" situation for you, then there's really no point in missing out on a cool game because the console version lacks one or two bonuses. But if you do have a PC capable of running MGR, then there's really no point in buying it on console.

Ushiwaka

I always believed that All Kamiya games are set in the same universe. Rao from Okami is Bayonetta's ancestor in my head :D Dante and Bayo are friends, Enzo works with Dante too, Eva was an Umbran Witch, etc...

I'm gonna be that idiot and go ahead and say I have no clue what ('@') means.
It means "I can't talk about that" or "It's a secret".
Looks like someone with a pacifier in their mouth :p
CANNOT BE UNSEEN! :D

Actually, I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be a baby with a pacifier in its mouth. Kamiya's tweeted it along with stuff like "goo goo" several times.

Golnei

I always believed that All Kamiya games are set in the same universe. Rao from Okami is Bayonetta's ancestor in my head :D Dante and Bayo are friends, Enzo works with Dante too, Eva was an Umbran Witch, etc...

Dante being part of that universe might as well be confirmed at this point - along with the references to Eva, Tony Redgrave, Enzo, Phantom and Sparda; as well as the demon blood orbs in Bayonetta 2, we saw him losing in strip poker against Enzo in the artbook.

Bayonetta_Art_book_-_Enzo_%26_Dante_-_Poker.jpg

And he's also confirmed that Silvia is the same person between Viewtiful Joe and W101; though that raises questions as to who Poseman is supposed to be if he exists in the same world. Though I guess that game allowed both Wonder-Witch and Bayonetta to be recruited...

Either way, Capcom could probably sue at this point if they really wanted to.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be a baby with a pacifier in its mouth. Kamiya's tweeted it along with stuff like "goo goo" several times.

I always thought it was supposed to be a pig, actually...but a baby makes more sense if the connotation is "I can't talk about that".

Eva being an Umbra Witch would be very interesting. For one, it would cast her relationship with Sparda in a whole different light.

Bayonetta being pals with Dante would be awkward to say the least, considering Dante hunts demons... though he might make an exception with Bayonetta's buddies, much like a pet cat will spare birds or other fluffies they consider part of the family. :)

Nemmy

Eva being an Umbra Witch would be very interesting. For one, it would cast her relationship with Sparda in a whole different light.

From the ingame Bracelet of Time description:

Eva, a truly extraordinary witch, entered into contract with a legendary dark knight, and then faced the amassed armies of Inferno. These bracelets were made by her hand, and those wearing them are said to become true masters of Witch Time at their very will.

It's pretty much canon at this point, or at least I'm totally willing to accept it as such :)

Eva, a truly extraordinary witch, entered into contract with a legendary dark knight, and then faced the amassed armies of Inferno. These bracelets were made by her hand, and those wearing them are said to become true masters of Witch Time at their very will.

It's pretty much canon at this point, or at least I'm totally willing to accept it as such :)

Whoa. As I don't have the Bracelet of Time yet, I didn't know! That's pretty awesome.

Lernaean

Banned
Between this:

...as well as the demon blood orbs in Bayonetta 2

And this:

It's pretty much confirmed imo, and i love it being the same universe.

And right now i'm reminded how much i want a DMC5. Come the fuck on Capcom, give Itsuno the get go for the project already!

PS: I missed you guys. Guess who has a nasty cold :p

Akiller

I Saw this on FB:D

10454962_579089242223442_1674124981495996730_o.jpg

Making my own Wonderful content for Super Smash Bros for WiiU.
The music that plays is
Jerghinga planet destruction

Between this:

It's pretty much confirmed imo, and i love it being the same universe.
And right now i'm reminded how much i want a DMC5. Come the fuck on Capcom, give Itsuno the get go for the project already!

PS: I missed you guys. Guess who has a nasty cold :p

Welcome back Lerny :)

Same universe? OMG now imagine this: Bayonetta has to face a great but unknown Devil threat and Enzo is like:"I actually know a guy who can help you, he knows a lot of things about this demon shit, and he's a fucking crazy guy just like you"
"He runs a shop next our city"
*Bayonetta visits Devil May Cry*

As for Itsuno, well you know Capcom, the chances are pretty low but i think they understood rebooting DMC was a mistake but i fear , if we will ever see DMC5, it could be a low-budget game like Rev2 but , if i remember correctly, Bayo1 wasn't an AAA game.

Lernaean

Banned
As for Itsuno, well you know Capcom, the chances are pretty low but i think they understood rebooting DMC was a mistake but i fear , if we will ever see DMC5, it could be a low-budget game like Rev2 but , if i remember correctly, Bayo1 wasn't an AAA game.

Not necessarily. Rev2 exists because Panta Rhei is not ready yet.
Ofc i don't know that, but i can easily speculate it.
Capcom has already claimed that their upcoming flagship next (current) gen titles will use the new engine.
Deep Down is delayed, people speculate that the engine is giving them trouble.
Mantle support is announced for Panta Rhei, by now we all understand that the engine still needs much optimization.
RE7 is already on the works for sure, using the new engine, but they are on a standstill atm, so they release a cheap but very viable alternative to keep the franchise interest.

DMC 4 and HD Collection, last i checked, sold better than DmC did. There is interest for a 'japanese DMC5' out there, and i could even claim it would sell better that any other entry in the genre lately, including MGR.
Capcom just has to grow a pair and greenlight it.

Akiller

Not necessarily. Rev2 exists because Panta Rhei is not ready yet.
Ofc i don't know that, but i can easily speculate it.
Capcom has already claimed that their upcoming flagship next (current) gen titles will use the new engine.
Deep Down is delayed, people speculate that the engine is giving them trouble.
Mantle support is announced for Panta Rhei, by now we all understand that the engine still needs much optimization.
RE7 is already on the works for sure, using the new engine, but they are on a standstill atm, so they release a cheap but very viable alternative to keep the franchise interest.

DMC 4 and HD Collection, last i checked, sold better than DmC did. There is interest for a 'japanese DMC5' out there, and i could even claim it would sell better that any other entry in the genre lately, including MGR.
Capcom just has to grow a pair and greenlight it.

I don't think there's relation between Rev2 and pantha rei, Capcom saw Rev1 was well received by the core RE fanbase, but they are making a budget sequel because they still think the original style is not good sales wise(hope TEW success Will make them think about it), but they don't want to lose that fanbase.I hope they'll manage to develop smoothly with Pantha Rei quickly, now they are only investing on Deep Down(the "pantha rei demo") and RE7.

As For DMC, well, i "expect" something during 2016 or TGS 2015 if we are very very Lucky, but they Will end up crazily pushing RE7, that's all.

That doesn't mean i'll stop believin' . #TeamUshi

Omg we are Too much OT, pm me if you want to reply xD

Lernaean

Banned
Oh you Lerny.

Before the edit it was better <3

I'll stay in bed for a couple of days untill i'm perfectly fine and then i'll play some Bayo2 online cause i haven't played like at all.
If you or any other sees me online and you're in the mood, don't hesitate to scream.

Akiller

Before the edit it was better <3
Ahahah i knew it.

I'll stay in bed for a couple of days untill i'm perfectly fine and then i'll play some Bayo2 online cause i haven't played like at all.
If you or any other sees me online and you're in the mood, don't hesitate to scream.

After finishing My first run (Chap XV right now) i'll join tag climax party, unfortunately Miiverse chat is not so comfortable.

Seriously guys, i don't Know wtf is happening with Bayo2 story, with all these time changes ,mechs and angels i feel i am totally playing an Evangelion game.

Coda

Only that, you know, Bayonetta's story is actually coherent.

Come at me Gainax!

Yeah, the story in Bayonetta 2 is a lot more concise and well thought out. It's not gonna win any awards but I think for supporting the action it does a pretty good job at making things feel realized.

I actually found the story of Bayo 2 complimenting Bayo's story and the two together make a nice and well thought out möbius strip, without ofc meaning it was anything groundbreaking.

Perfectly put. Abridged from my Bayo2 impressions:

For the record, I consider Bayonetta 2 to be vastly superior to 1, especially its story. Bayo1's was a fucking mess with no rhyme or reason for almost anything; 2's manages to not only be much more coherent and interesting, but actually retroactively fix several of 1's plot holes or simply unexplained plot points. If making the previous game twice as good is not a huge achievement, I don't know what is.

Ushiwaka

Apparently MS registered the Scalebound trademark just a couple of days ago in US. According to the trademark listing, Scalebound may have a multiplayer mode too.

Just yesterday, Microsoft finally registered Scalebound’s trademark. It’s rather strange that the filing is just showing up, since it was apparently filed back in May in South Africa but just submitted for the US yesterday, according to the documentation revealed. From the document, it would indicate that Scalebound will have some kind of online component, as the trademark not only includes class 9 (games), but also class 41 (online games).

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/1...y-coming-soon-thanks-to-new-trademark/118770/

I hope MS shows some Scalebound footage soon. The silence is getting ridiculous.

Akiller

Phil Spencer will be at The Game Awards show, so there are some chances for a new trailer.

Multiplayer mode?I can't say i am surprised.

Golnei

Sapientia is so good it makes all three other cardinal virtues seem awful by comparison.

WHY IS THIS FIGHT SO GOOD!?

I thought it was actually one of the worse battles, especially considering how long the second phase tends to drag, with only a few opportunities to damage it. I'd be much more inclined to agree if you were talking about
the rematch.

Sapientia definitely had the best theme out of the Auditio, though.

Lernaean

Banned
Ok guys, i got a notice to pick up my Bayo 2 OST from the post office. The bad news is that it'll have to wait till Monday, but the beast is here.
Also informing you that the artbook for Bayo 2 is releasing on Dec 20 in Japan.

In other news, Scalebound might have multiplayer.
Duh! I called it like 5 mins after the trailer was first shown :p

Akiller

Yeah Lerny, seeing color swapped dragon together with the Donte guy at the end of the trailer confirmed it xD

I hope it ends up as a sort of Platinum version of Monster Hunter.

A MH where monsters help you to defeat other monsters.
We can all agree that Scalebound will not be a pure action game like Bayo, my guesses are:
1) P*'s MH, stylish Hunting game
2)P*'s Okami,open-world action adventure(but there's online)
3)P*'s Dark Souls, open-world action-rpg with online features

Zertez

So many great boss fights to pick just one. You could probably add another dozen great platinum boss fights to the poll.

Lernaean

Banned
We can all agree that Scalebound will not be a pure action game like Bayo, my guesses are:

Yeah, from what we've seen and from what they've been saying, it seems like it's gonna be another one of Kamiya's brain-farts.
That ofc, is by no means a bad thing. I'm sure there will be brilliant moments and mechanics in the game, but it doesn't seem like a 'stylish character action game' at all.

Akiller

Yeah, from what we've seen and from what they've been saying, it seems like it's gonna be another one of Kamiya's brain-farts.
That ofc, is by no means a bad thing. I'm sure there will be brilliant moments and mechanics in the game, but it doesn't seem like a 'stylish character action game' at all.

Kamiya's brain farts gold.
Not a pure stylish action game, but we'll definitely see a few stylish action game aspects introduced in Scalebound, Kamiya owns the formula and can design it in every possible way, like he did in W101 which may look like a very different game(and mostly it is),but core wise it has the classic Kamiya deep Battle system.

Ushiwaka

Yeah Lerny, seeing color swapped dragon together with the Donte guy at the end of the trailer confirmed it xD

A MH where monsters help you to defeat other monsters.

No no no no no no no. This is NOT how we are going to get an Okami spiritual successor. Not with photo realistic graphics and whatnot.

I can't see Scalebound being an adventure game like Okami. The game is a total mystery right now. We know that fighting dragons and fighting alongside dragons are a part of the game. So maybe the game is divided into two parts. Parts when you have to fight dragons and second where you have to fly your dragon and fight with other dragons. (which was in the reveal trailer). What I got from Kamiya's interviews, is that even when are fighting the big lizards, we can use our dragon's power and the fights are going to be pretty huge and epic. The question is, is that one enemy dragon each fight or hordes of enemies like Bayo? Either way, its going to be a Draco-fest.

Regiruler

I thought it was actually one of the worse battles, especially considering how long the second phase tends to drag, with only a few opportunities to damage it. I'd be much more inclined to agree if you were talking about
the rematch.

Sapientia definitely had the best theme out of the Auditio, though.

I'm assuming you didn't like Glamor in 2 then. It shared the same problem of making approach somewhat tricky (and the affinity to go back out of range). I think the sea made for a very good epic backdrop, and the fight barely lagged (at least on the Wii U version).

Golnei

I'm assuming you didn't like Glamor in 2 then. It shared the same problem of making approach somewhat tricky (and the affinity to go back out of range). I think the sea made for a very good epic backdrop, and the fight barely lagged (at least on the Wii U version).

I wouldn't really say it had the same problems once the fight actually started - the surfing section was more in line with the vehicle minigames, seeing as you don't really need to damage Glamour to proceed. The actual encounter didn't have anything as tedious as Sapientia retreating into the ocean, with most of Glamour's moves being fairly quick with multiple opportunities to get hits in; and the greater amount of flexibility afforded by making it an aerial battle made it much less of a chore to be able to deal damage.

Regiruler

I wouldn't really say it had the same problems once the fight actually started - the surfing section was more in line with the vehicle minigames, seeing as you don't really need to damage Glamour to proceed. The actual encounter didn't have anything as tedious as Sapientia retreating into the ocean, with most of Glamour's moves being fairly quick with multiple opportunities to get hits in; and the greater amount of flexibility afforded by making it an aerial battle made it much less of a chore to be able to deal damage.

Going off of what I remember, it took me longer to get through that portion of Glamor than phase two of Sapientia, primarly because the Auditio fights gave you all wicked weaves extending your range.

On that note, I'm somewhat disappointed B2 lacks a formal boss structure. The auditios were cool in that regard, because you knew when you saw one shit was getting real, whereas B2 is littered with bosses and at some point you just go "meh". Seven Sins might have been too many though, and you only start encountering demons a couple of chapters in: seven major bosses spaced out would need a lot of chapters.

EDIT: Holy fuck finished The Masked Lumen. The music pick was absolutely ace.
EDIT2: When do you think it will be acceptable to use a
young Balder

Golnei

On that note, I'm somewhat disappointed B2 lacks a formal boss structure. The auditios were cool in that regard, because you knew when you saw one shit was getting real, whereas B2 is littered with bosses and at some point you just go "meh". Seven Sins might have been too many though, and you only start encountering demons a couple of chapters in: seven major bosses spaced out would need a lot of chapters.

I'm fine with the way the bosses were placed and structured; but I do agree that it might have been a better idea to theme the high-ranking angels again. If they had named Valiance, Valor and Glamour after the three theological virtues (Pistis / Elpis / Agape) and given them a cute group name (Locutio?) it might have helped a little with signalling their status to the player. The demons didn't really need much of a formal structure - aside from the fact that giving demons a rigid hierarchy would be thematically unfitting, Insidious, Gomorrah and
Alraune
were built up enough by the contexts they were encountered in, especially the latter.

Unit24

Damn that's a tricky one, but imo, about 4 months after western release you could use it. And if anyone is spoiled by it at that point, then I'm sorry, it's their fault.

Their fault for not being able to afford the game, or possibly a Wii-U? Not everybody is that well off.

Just dug into W101 for the first time this weekend, and I am dumbfounded. So many options, shiny graphixxx, ultra-fast high level play, and I am bad at all of it.

Classic Platinum. I'm loving it, like all the rest of their output. The initial shock and learning curve is always huge, but it makes for some hellacious hours spent.

Nemmy

Finally! ordered my 32GB WiiU, gonna jump right into Bayo 2 as soon as it's delivered, and daaamn the wait is killing me. And all this Bayo 2 discussion here (that I'm reading with my eyes closed :p) is getting me mad hype.

Also, Bayo 2 retroactively fixing Bayo's story? Holy shit, sounds like the best thing ever.

Lernaean

Banned
Their fault for not being able to afford the game, or possibly a Wii-U? Not everybody is that well off.

Any game, in the whole fuckin world won't stay unspoiled forever. You may not have an XBOX One, but you can't really be pissed if i spoil the story of Sunset Overdrive next summer, that's what i mean.
Also you are continuously agressive. Chill.

Finally! ordered my 32GB WiiU, gonna jump right into Bayo 2 as soon as it's delivered, and daaamn the wait is killing me. And all this Bayo 2 discussion here (that I'm reading with my eyes closed :p) is getting me mad hype.

Awesome, send me a PM when you set up your NNID :)

Top Bottom