• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Unsure Astral Chain Will Remain Exclusive To Switch, Ultimately It's "Nintendo's Call"

EDMIX

Don't take this the wrong way but... Are you mentally challenged? Platinum's president flat out told us Nintendo had Astral Chain's publishing rights. Nintendo didn't have Octopath Traveler or Little Town Hero's publishing rights. It's really not that hard. Please put some effort into your posts.

They had it for Wonderful 101 and that is going multiplatform..... Insults doesn't really help your point man, they published some games, those games clearly are headed to other platforms. This isn't the first time thats happened. The reality is...they've said stuff like this before, titles have gone to other platforms and for all you know, this title in 1 year will have the same thing happen. People say LOTS of stuff when a timed deal is going on btw.

Going to have to ignoring bud, no reason to result to insults simply because we don't agree. You have nothing to say this won't head to some other system. Heck you guys didn't have much to say regarding Wonderful 101 or daemon x machina or many other titles that are now going to other systems. I heard soooooo much like "Nintendo has a deal" and "Nintendo would NEVER allow" and on and on and on....yet here we are. No one on here can guarantee this doesn't happen again to now try to argue this is some 1 time deal just cause you are mad an exclusive was lost. Do you know how strange it is to legit argue that a game won't go to another platform, the day after 2 games go to another platform? Seriously?

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde Still a timed exclusive. That isn't brand new to gaming.

Here is a quote from an interview with Platinum boss Atsushi Inaba explaining their good relationship with Nintendo and how they allowed P to use W101 for multiplatform release.

I'm sure it did, not disagreeing with that. I'm sure that "good relationship" will be whats cited as the reason Astral Chain has a kickstarter up to go to PC, PS and XB.... I'm not debating the reason, I'm stating its happening at all. For all you know, that great relationship is what will be stated as why they have other titles jump ship.

So it can happen now, but won't happen later to push some narrative to win an argument? smh. Come on man, them doing something RIGHT NOW, is great evidence to suggest they can do it later.

Lanrutcon Lanrutcon I know right! We've heard that so many times, I just don't care. They'll say no know and then have some reason why they are saying yes later. We've heard that about Little Town Hero, Octopath, Wonderful 101, daemon x machina etc but now its "different" suddenly. So if they continue to do timed deals, I will continue to be questionable about any of those so called exclusives they have out.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I'm sure it did, not disagreeing with that. I'm sure that "good relationship" will be whats cited as the reason Astral Chain has a kickstarter up to go to PC, PS and XB.... I'm not debating the reason, I'm stating its happening at all. For all you know, that great relationship is what will be stated as why they have other titles jump ship.

So it can happen now, but won't happen later to push some narrative to win an argument? smh. Come on man, them doing something RIGHT NOW, is great evidence to suggest they can do it later.

Yeah well, I guess time will tell if AC is up next. Don't bet on it though.

Lanrutcon

Who is "they". I'm pretty sure this a unique case as stated by Platinum's president. Are you calling the guy a liar?

It being a unique case doesn't preclude there being more unique cases.

There being more unique cases after the unique case doesn't make the guy a liar.

I can draw a diagram if you want.

I am pretty good in Paint.

EDMIX

Yeah well, I guess time will tell if AC is up next. Don't bet on it though.

Based on what I've seen, if they have a great relationship with Platinum, for all you know part of the deal was always for them to allow them to port it 1 year after release. I bet on what happens as it happening means it more likely to happen again then not.

They have a good relationship with the team, they allowed them to port a title over.... I have no reason to assume that is the last time, thats like saying MS payed for some timed games at the start of the 360 gen, but hey can you believe for me just this once that Tales of Vesperia is a REAL exclusive.

I have a justified reason to be doubtful the day after 2 games go multiplatform. Why should I not considering?

Lanrutcon Lanrutcon Agreed. For all we know that is what they state when they port this game a year later.

Aldric Aldric They as in developers. This would not be the first time any developer has made some claim to hold down a timed exclusive. They will legit say anything. Its to be taken really with a grain of salt. RE4's director stated he'd cut off his head if it headed to PS2... Ken Levine swore up and down no Bioshock was being made for PS3.

This is why I tend to ignore what they are saying as look at it from their point....their deal was for it to be timed exclusive, they MUST continue to pretend it can ONLY be found on 1 system and that the 1 publisher is the only one that can do anything etc. In reality, they likely have a deal to be able to fully talk about a port 1 year or so after. edit. relax on the insults too. You and I just disagree. You believe them and that is fine, but I believe that 2 games went multiplatform and the publisher is on great terms with the developer and such a thing might continue.

Thats like getting mad at me cause I don't think Ninja Gaiden 2 is exclusive when its released, as if I must ignore Bioshock, Lost Planet and all the other timed deals with statements like "as stated by Tecmos president. Are you calling the guy a liar? "

I have justified reasons to believe it can happen again.

Last edited:

Aldric

It being a unique case doesn't preclude there being more unique cases.

There being more unique cases after the unique case doesn't make the guy a liar.

I can draw a diagram if you want.

I am pretty good in Paint.
I was replying to the statement that this situation happend before, which is false. Try following a simple conversation before acting like a smartass.

Aldric

Calm down man, we're all speculating here, no need to be so rude.
That's not speculation from the guys insisting TW101 situation is comparable to timed exclusives, that's ignoring the obvious and either playing dumb or being retarded, in both cases it's frustrating.

Mr Hyde

Based on what I've seen, if they have a great relationship with Platinum, for all you know part of the deal was always for them to allow them to port it 1 year after release

Based on what I've seen, if they have a great relationship with Platinum, for all you know part of the deal was always for them to never allow them to port it after release.

I have no reason to assume that is the last time, thats like saying MS payed for some timed games at the start of the 360 gen, but hey can you believe for me just this once that Tales of Vesperia is a REAL exclusive

MS didn't fund Tales of Vesperia, they penned a exclusivity deal for 360 just as they money hatted a bunch of other Japanese games to come to their platform. Nintendo funded Astral Chain and made it in collaboration with Platinum specifically tailored for the Switch. Sony did the exact same thing with Bloodborne with From Software. Nintendo owns the IP of Astral Chain and thus, it's up to them if they want to release it on other platforms. You are comparing apples with oranges.

As I said, time will tell if Nintendo puts AC on other platforms but in this specific case I wouldn't bet on it.

EDMIX

That's not speculation from the guys insisting TW101 situation is comparable to timed exclusives

We are allowed to speculate. Its a very, very solid and sound speculation too. The thing that happened just a few days ago might happen again. I see no reason to doubt that tbh. I also see no reason to get upset by it.

If Horizon Zero Dawn comes to PC, do you think I going to run around and start telling people to ignore this fact and its a one time deal with zero evidence to actually prove it? So its easy to just understand, if it happened, it can happen again. Its legit the easiest thing to guess. I would argue its HARDER to say it will never happen again in light of this week.

Stop getting so worked up over it.

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde Thats nice. Maybe. Regardless MS had timed games no different then Nintendo does. I see no reason to assume it would stop. "in this specific case I wouldn't bet on it. " You are free to do that. Considering them doing it with Wonderful 101, you could have said that about this game so....

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

That's not speculation from the guys insisting TW101 situation is comparable to timed exclusives, that's ignoring the obvious and either playing dumb or being retarded, in both cases it's frustrating.

Not trying to frustrate you, neighbor. I was trying to point out that we know unique cases happen, and that future unique cases can happen. So there's always a chance, regardless of what's said. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head enforcing permanent exclusivity. Things change.

Not trying to frustrate you, neighbor. I was trying to point out that we know unique cases happen, and that future unique cases can happen. So there's always a chance, regardless of what's said. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head enforcing permanent exclusivity. Things change.

True. no one ever thought we would see nintendo ips on smart phones, anything can happen. Microsoft exclusives going to switch, and even horizon going to PC, maybe its a sign of things to come, and since platinum started this funding thing probably with the least popular game they have, and really no one is buying a switch for platinum games. in the en of the day nintendo gave permission to platinum to port the game to ps4, and it could happen again in fact i would bet on it since platinum still has 3 games left to show. honestly the only one i want is metal gear solid rising remastered.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
its good for platinum because means more sales, nintendo sometimes cares about second party's well being....... as long as they are from japan, if not they treat you like ...., just ask argonaut and rare :S

nintendo already said yes to P* for W101 maybe they will say yes this time too, nothing wrong with asking

For sure, it's just i don't believe Platinum would even ask Nintendo, and i doubt Nintendo would say yes.

It's important to put things in perspective: The Wonderful 101 happened because a series of circumstances (it being trapped on Wii U, Platinum wanting the remaster,...), Astral Chain is already a success as Platinum itself called it, Nintendo gave inputs on the development of the IP, as we found out on previous interviews.

Also it's not an argounaut / rare situation at all: as Inaba and Kamiya, Platinum owes a lot to Nintendo, since they were the first and only big publisher who supported them at the very beginning and kept doing it even after low sales releases, Platinum is not going to leave them as Capcom did this gen.

Then if you want to believe in AC on PS4, sure, just don't blame Nintendo if it never happens. To me at best we'll see a Steam release but i wouldn't be surprised if it stays exclusive for a while, considering a sequel is perhaps already in the works.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Bring it to PS4 and sell a million more copies. I’d definitely double dip for trophy support.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This thread makes me kind of happy, it seems there is nice amount of interest for Astral Chain. If there is a chance it comes out other platforms I hope people give this game a chance, this was my personal GTOY in 2019.

I'm not sure how these things work, but if Nintendo owns half of the ip, wouldn't that mean if Platinum ported on other mediums that Nintendo would gain half the profits? If so it's not so far fetched. I can see it played out like this:

PG: *See Switch sales plummet*
Nintendo: *Also see Astral Chain profits dropping*
PG: Asks Nintendo to port on other platforms.
Nintendo: Fine do it yourselves.
PG & Nintendo: profits!

Nintendo would be making money without lifting a finger.

mejin

Maybe Platinum is finally understanding it is stupid to make new ips to be locked on nintendo platforms.

I'm not sure how these things work, but if Nintendo owns half of the ip, wouldn't that mean if Platinum ported on other mediums that Nintendo would gain half the profits? If so it's not so far fetched. I can see it played out like this:

PG: *See Switch sales plummet*
Nintendo: *Also see Astral Chain profits dropping*
PG: Asks Nintendo to port on other platforms.
Nintendo: Fine do it yourselves.
PG & Nintendo: profits!

Nintendo would be making money without lifting a finger.

it would be pretty stupid for platinum to go for that, they would be much better off making new IP considering the ips they made are not really popular or very successful.

I do but you can look at the games and tell they're underfunded. Bayonetta 2 had actual levels then became a boss rush till the end, some levels were literally 5 minutes long before you were at the boss.

Bayonetta 1 had the same problem, not as much but the levels that remade space harrier went on for far too long, a bunch of short boss levels.

I want more games like DMC but if you don't have the budget to see it through why bother?

Bayonetta 2 wouldn't happen if it didn't have Nintendo funding. I don't remember it becoming a boss rush till the end either lol it's one of the best action games of all time and it's pretty comparable to DMC 5. If they did that on a limited budget, all the more awesome. You start putting too much money into niche titles and they will inevitably lose you money. It is what it is.

But do tell me, what is the solution to the budget thing you talked about? How could Bayonetta 3 be made with more money and why?

Blond

Banned
Bayonetta 2 wouldn't happen if it didn't have Nintendo funding. I don't remember it becoming a boss rush till the end either lol it's one of the best action games of all time and it's pretty comparable to DMC 5. If they did that on a limited budget, all the more awesome. You start putting too much money into niche titles and they will inevitably lose you money. It is what it is.

But do tell me, what is the solution to the budget thing you talked about? How could Bayonetta 3 be made with more money and why?

I'm saying I want it to be properly funded, you can tell they've been underfunded at the short length of the levels, repeated enemies and uninteresting

Chapter 4 two meets two, 20 minutes long and most of it is a boss fight

Chapter 5, most of it cutscenes and then a scripted sequence

Chapter 6, 5 minutes long mini boss

Chapter 7, consisting of 2 boss fights

Chapter 8, mini bosses and a boss fight

Chapter 11 and 12 are both 10 minute boss fights, then this what I'm talking about where Bayonetta games go full meme games and just start throwing the kitchen sink at you. The levels afterwards are just random shit, constantly. Designing an entire mechwarrior level, then the level after that is a boss another 10 minute boss fight, cutscenes and then 3 minutes of combat. Then you end the game with yet another space harrier clone level that goes on way too long then you have the actual boss fight.

For me Bayonetta just seems to screams "Making the best of a limited budget" by doing things in an obviously cheap way.

I guess it could still happen if they have some kind of timed deal going on, but that's not the vibe I'm getting here. I think Nintendo really does own Astral Chain, and that they won't let the game go that easily. TW101 is an exception. Platinum said as much.

I'm saying I want it to be properly funded, you can tell they've been underfunded at the short length of the levels, repeated enemies and uninteresting

How would it be properly funded? What would it take to get proper funding? Keep in mind that just doing what Capcom did isn't an option, Bayonetta isn't as big of a deal as DMC.

LMJ

We are in an interesting timeline...

Cup head on Switch among others

PS exclusives making their way to PC and who knows if theres anything else...

Nintendo Exclusives coming out on PS and P.C

Perhaps the big three (MS, Nintendo, Sony) have come to the realization that a little bit of competitive deal making can ultimately be beneficial to their bottom line...

Clearly certain exclusives won't budge, but last gen I would not have expected this kind of tactic from anyone, let alone all of them...crazy times

NAI1210

I was quite surprised I must admit that w101 is coming to other systems, since in the opening of the game like bayonetta 2,astral chain, starfox there is a big Nintendo logo in the actual opening credit scene, but its cool its coming to other systems, I can't see the same happening with astral chain as it did incredibly well on switch I can see Nintendo wanting to keep it exclusively on switch and will probably want a sequel as well.
If this is 4 games coming that are from platinums back catalogue I would say bayonetta 1 and vanquish have already came to this gen, rising revengance still holds up, don't know its BC on xbox, but it's on pc, I would rule out bayonetta 2 and astral chain just now, the games they did for Activision where all shit, and probably down to Activision for any re release.
So my guess that the other 3 would be
Anarchy reigns
Infinite space
Madworld
Hope I'm wrong hope it's just 3 announcements of new games 😀

Shiken

Saying "it is up to Nintendo" is practically the same as saying that it will not be going to other platforms.

To my knowledge, W101 is still partially owned by Nintendo and they made a deal with platinum to allow them to make it multiplatform if self funded. Would not suprise me however that if this port does well on Switch, PS4, or both that a potential W102 would end up as Switch exclusive...in fact I would bank on it.

NAI1210

Saying "it is up to Nintendo" is practically the same as saying that it will not be going to other platforms.

To my knowledge, W101 is still partially owned by Nintendo and they made a deal with platinum to allow them to make it multiplatform if self funded. Would not suprise me however that if this port does well on Switch, PS4, or both that a potential W102 would end up as Switch exclusive...in fact I would bank on it.
Yeah I kinda had the same thought, which would be shit for any new fans from the pc/ps4 versions.

NAI1210

We are in an interesting timeline...

Cup head on Switch among others

PS exclusives making their way to PC and who knows if theres anything else...

Nintendo Exclusives coming out on PS and P.C

Perhaps the big three (MS, Nintendo, Sony) have come to the realization that a little bit of competitive deal making can ultimately be beneficial to their bottom line...

Clearly certain exclusives won't budge, but last gen I would not have expected this kind of tactic from anyone, let alone all of them...crazy times
I got cup head on switch it looks great, plays great but I suck at it, can't really see much playstation exclusive games coming to pc at same time as console unlike xbox releases, I mean horizon is coming to pc but how old is that game 2years?

manfestival

so was wonderful 101
Not the same difference here. You should inform yourself on the difference. Ironically inside gaming just did a video kinda going into this whole thing with Wonderful 101 but yeah you can always deduce thing that it is their call in some way shape or form.

Neff

are they gonna make money from the ps4 version?

Nintendo aren't funding it, so money might have changed hands up front for the loan of the IP, but Nintendo most likely won't benefit from sales outside of Switch.

As to the question of 'will Astral Chain ever leave Switch?' you have to ask yourself- 'Is it worth it to Nintendo?'

And there's your answer.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

giphy.gif

You'll likely never see anything yeah.

goldenpp72

Literally Nintendos subtle way of saying this IP lacks any value. Astral chain has already outsold 101 by over 5x and is likely the fourth highest selling Platinum game, so obviously the situation is a tad different.

It also took 6 years for 101 to go anywhere else despite that, people really are idiots. Not calling you out, but others here lol.

I too hope all their work is mulitplatform. If they have such a good relationship with Platinum, then Nintendo is open to having them do another kickstarter.

I rather they make new games. I think the new strategy might be getting kick starters for ports making money off those then making new bigger games with bigger budget. with ps5/xsx coming up. i'm not interested in switch or wiiu ports.

Last edited:
Top Bottom