• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 Classics coming to PlayStation Plus Premium on June 11th

nial

Gold Member
This deserves its own thread.
c40e67fe6c45a2961712df29c37fa9693c7a08f3.jpg

PS2 games

(Available in Classics Catalog on June 11 for Premium members)

• Tomb Raider Legend
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  • Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Only these 3 games for now, and you will also be able to purchase any of these separately from the subscription on PS4 and PS5.
Edit: Ghosthunter releasing on the 18th.
hBannzY.jpeg

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
Probably the best thing to ever happen to premium and only under the assumption it works properly and they're not emulating the freaking pal version again. Some trophies would also be nice.

Shin-Ra

How about getting a small, talented team to port the Sly games over to native PS5 games, getting a deeper understanding of the games while doing so and making a new game from that experience. Sounds familiar?

dotnotbot

PS3 era HD ports were often very lazy and basic and even missing some effects/features (even the ones from Bluepoint) so we're not missing much by getting uprendered PS2 version instead, the only thing that I wish they would improve is adding HD UI to these versions (I'm not sure how easy it is to do but I believe it's possible).

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I never played Sly games, but I'm interested since I like the stealth genre. I might pick it up if the emulation is good.

Kerotan

They just opened a hot damn can of worms. They'll mostly have that rewind feature too and trophy support.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Own both TR Legend and Sly, but depending on the quality of the port I might get them again for another platinum run. I wonder if Sly is free since I bought it digital on PS3 store? RE director's cut was free because I had the previous version on PS3.

They would never give us 100 games a month.
They will always want to spread these releases.

Nobody is asking for 100 games a month.

We're arguing that they should have built up at least a larger up-front selection of maybe 20 - 30 titles to add to the service day one, after which they can incrementally add a small number of new titles each month thereafter.

There's like over 1500 PS2 games in the entire catalogue. At 3 games added per week, if you're looking for a specific game you probably won't see it this gen, or next for that matter.

Last edited:

We're arguing that they should have built up at least a larger up-front selection of maybe 20 - 30 titles to add to the service day one, after which they can incrementally add a small number of new titles each month thereafter.

There's like over 1500 PS2 games in the entire catalogue. At 3 games added per week, if you're looking for a specific game you probably won't see it this gen, or next for that matter.
True. I said that when the started including the PSOne classics.

My bet? They have a really small team working on these. It's probably not a proirity for them (even though it should be since it's the main selling point of the most expensive tier)

gothmog

Gold Member

I'm hoping this is just a pilot to get the pipeline set up and that we'll see larger quantities released at once.

True. I said that when the started including the PSOne classics.

My bet? They have a really small team working on these. It's probably not a proirity for them (even though it should be since it's the main selling point of the most expensive tier)

They should develop a universal emulator. They had one for the PS3 to run PS2 games. The PS5 is so far beyond PS2 in performance that even a poorly optimized emulator should be able to run most games at full speed.

They shouldn't be trying to provide game-by-game wrappers. It's wholly inefficient. If they can only dedicate the resources of a small team, then they should be working much smarter than this.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Eager to see how well their new emulator works. Sly Cooper had some missing effects in the HD remaster so a proper version based on the PS2 original would make it the best place to play it.
New...emulator?

Because last time i tried their plus emulator for some ps2 games it was the most dogshit emulator experience i had in my life, and i have a super fast internet connection.

Killer8

New...emulator?

Because last time i tried their plus emulator for some ps2 games it was the most dogshit emulator experience i had in my life, and i have a super fast internet connection.

That would be the older shittier emulator they made for the PS4. This new one should be similar to their current PS1 offering with features like higher res, save states and filters.

This was the leaked PS Store listing for Clone Wars:

Experience Star Wars: The Clone Wars originally released on the PlayStation 2 console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

You are thrust into the heat of battle in the galaxy’s most unforgettable conflict. Lead the Republic army in the greatest battles of the epic Clone Wars as Anakin Skywalker, Mace Windu and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Your directive: stop the Separatists from reassembling an ancient Sith weapon of mass annihilation!

• Take over where Episode II ends. Play out the greatest battles of the epic Clone Wars.
  • Sixteen single-player missions on six expansive worlds from the Star Wars universe.
  • Pilot five unique craft (Republic gunship, speeder bike, fighter tank, assault walker and even a maru) against over 30 different combat units.
  • Missions range from intense close combat engagements to enormous large-scale battles.
  • Four entirely different multiplayer modes: team-based strategy, deathmatch, king-of-the-hill, and cooperative endurance.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That would be the older shittier emulator they made for the PS4. This new one should be similar to their current PS1 offering with features like higher res, save states and filters.

This was the leaked PS Store listing for Clone Wars:
Have you tried the 2 infamous games on this new emulator? I really want to play them but last time i tried it was absoluteoy terrible in every aspect of an emulator you can think of...unplayable.

Dazraell

Gold Member
I'm glad to hear they're extending Classics to PS2 games. The current PSX and PSP lineup is one of the more positive side effects of multi-tiered PS Plus. Definitely interested in checking Sly 1 and Clone Wars

dotnotbot

Have you tried the 2 infamous games on this new emulator? I really want to play them but last time i tried it was absoluteoy terrible in every aspect of an emulator you can think of...unplayable.
Infamous games aren't emulated but streamed, they're native PS3 versions looking and working exactly like they did on PS3 with added lag and compression artifacts on top thanks to streaming, even with best internet connection it still sucks.

Btw I tried Infamous 1 on my PS3 recently and was surprised how poorly it runs. This level of performance would not be received well today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom