• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Kenzera: Zau releases Day 1 into the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog on April 23

ByWatterson

I mean why not?

You already decided you will buy sbi games and it's cool if you wanna support them but why should those who don't want to not know this information?

Because people can make whatever threads they want and they have no obligation to you to provide a REE-style, GAF-cloaked trigger warning for you.

Also Google is a thing. You can just look shit up.

It's really, really simple.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Let people do, buy, and play what they want. We don't need disclaimers and tags because you're doing nothing but reverting to THAT site that you all despise of.
I never said people can't buy or play what they want...

I feel like this is all pointless.

Whatever. Just consume and consume guys 🤣🤣

Oof your gotcha kinda backfired didn't it 🤣... now your trying to infer and lead to something which I didn't say.

Honestly if you don't know the difference between promoting something and banning it then maybe you should be at resetera 🤷‍♂️

100s of indie games release everyday, not every game gets its own thread and special promotion on gaf...

Or... we can just let the game made by racists just exist and not really shine a spotlight on it and see what naturally happens.

So this thread is shining a spotlight on it. With that train of thought any thread about this game will shine a spotlight on it. And you say let not do that........because "not every indie game gets it own thread".
So where pray tell do people who want to talk about this game on GAF talk about it?
I know the difference between banning and promoting sir. That's not the issue. You don't like conversation about this game and want people to ignore it, because in essence, any conversation about it other than
negative conversation will be "promoting" the game and you not wanting that is essentially banning it for people who want to talk at the game itself. You say I should be at the other place, but you're no better than them
for wanting the same stupid crap.

Edit:
Based on your previous responses and replies to others in this thread, you probably wont understand what I am getting at so I'll just drop it.

Finally, you got something right.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Well, then you'd just be treading down the same path that Reset Era is on. If you want that then be my guest, but I don't want that practice here.
You already have the Sweet Baby Inc. detector to make use of, as well as your discernment.
Because people can make whatever threads they want and they have no obligation to you to provide a REE-style, GAF-cloaked trigger warning for you.

Also Google is a thing. You can just look shit up.

It's really, really simple.
Whatever I really don't care 🤣

Enjoy the game guys 👍

Draugoth

Gold Member
Well sure, that's your prerogative to do so. It's not getting special treatment as you're implying lol.
You can just as easily highlight more indie games. Nothing is stopping you or anyone else on here from making threads like Draugoth Draugoth is the point.

Honestly, since people are pointing this up, i will put a disclaimer in the thread for people who dont want to support SBI products

Last edited:

JaksGhost

I never said people can't buy or play what they want...

Whatever. Just consume and consume guys 🤣🤣
You can feel bad for the devs for sure...

We don't have to give up our humanity. Just like... you don't have to play absolutely everything, some times games can just flop.

If the studio and the team are talented enough then they'll find an audience and next game they'll learn not to have DEI 🤷‍♂️

You're campaigning for us to not play the game. You're no different from them trying smear to Stellar Blade.

mortal

Gold Member
Honestly, since people are pointing this up, i will put a disclaimer in the thread
Hey, it's your thread, man. I'm personally opposed to adopting that practice here because it would just result in threads inevitably being derailed from discussing the actual merits of a game in earnest, instead shifting the discourse into culture war topics.
There's already a dedicated OT for highlighting Sweet Baby Inc. on Gaf that posters can use in addition to the Steam curator page.
We're all supposedly adults here and should be able to decide for ourselves what and whatnot to support without disclaimers or trigger warnings in threads like Reset Era. That's just my two cents.

Looks good. Will most likely give it a shot!

Definitely looks like something that I'll check out, especially if "free".

The involvement of sweet babies does not bother me much. It says "story driven" but I don't expect more story snippets than what is in that trailer. With some heavy Wakanda accent that feels kinda like Black face for maybe even actual Black voice actors... with hetero actors swearing to not portray homos again, an African American better not pretend to be from Kenia or something ... which is something SBI or similar weird consultants probably can be outraged about in some later iteration of another African based game. I like it, gives the voices flavour.

JaksGhost

Definitely looks like something that I'll check out, especially if "free".

The involvement of sweet babies does not bother me much. It says "story driven" but I don't expect more story snippets than what is in that trailer. With some heavy Wakanda accent that feels kinda like Black face for maybe even actual Black voice actors... with hetero actors swearing to not portray homos again, an African American better not pretend to be from Kenia or something ... which is something SBI or similar weird consultants probably can be outraged about in some later iteration of another African based game. I like it, gives the voices flavour.
"Wakanda" accent... Kenia...

I didn't know about this game at all, so I excitedly clicked thinking it was a new "Tales of" game I wasn't aware of.

Not saying I am disappointed, just stopped me in my tracks...

Anyway... Sweet Baby is involved, and since I don't like phony grand-standing "checkmarked" diversity, as opposed to just making a game and having it be diverse because you want to, I will skip this one...

Hey, it's your thread, man. I'm personally opposed to adopting that practice here because it would just result in threads inevitably being derailed from discussing the actual merits of a game in earnest, instead shifting the discourse into culture war topics.
There's already a dedicated OT for highlighting Sweet Baby Inc. on Gaf that posters can use in addition to the Steam curator page.
We're all supposedly adults here and should be able to decide for ourselves what and whatnot to support without disclaimers or trigger warnings in threads like Reset Era. That's just my two cents.

This so much.

Maybe I totally missed the boat, but what happened or what was said at the this company to conclude that they are openly racist? Honest question.
Sweet Baby Inc has stated openly anti-white racism on X. Some may have been former employees. But enough for me to know they're rotten at the core.

Yonyx

The same as was done with Hogwarts Legacy. Nauseating world we are being left with this nonsense.

Lokaum D+

Because black people in a game? In a fantastical setting that has an African tone in nature?
Oh the horror............You guys don't even hide it anymore.
so the game target audience is black ppl, why should a white guy play it ? wouldn't that be cultural appropriation ?

jk

Last edited:
so the game target audience is black ppl, why should a white guy play it ? wouldn't that be cultural appropriation ?

What the hell is this post? Who said the target audience is black people? Are all the games over the years that do not include black people not intended for black people to enjoy? Is that how it works?

Also, who said non black people are obligated to play it? Good Lord...what is going on in this thread?

Edit:
I see you added a j/k
😒

Last edited:
No Means No GIF by Mashed

Belthazar

Another PS+ win as usual. They really haven't missed with the day one games (Foamstars was early access and doesn't count).

vkbest

Maybe you're right, i can't really say anything otherwise and say i'm right without making assumptions

I just feel bad cause the devs are so passionate about this game.
They are so passionate about the project to let that people change their game to follow the agenda

I'll try it if it's free, but knowing sweet baby inc are involved I'm setting my expectations so low for the character writing that James Cameron will dive down and play co-op with me.

"Wakanda" accent... Kenia...
great job, you quoted me and repeated words of the quote.
Wakanda is a fictive country in Black Panther in which the actors spoke afair Kenian and also Xhosa accents, partially natural, partially explicitely learned for the movie. I call that simply Wakanda accent since anyone but you should understand what I mean. There might not be many examples where such thick accents are used, African stories are not omnipresent anyway, but what they used here sounded a lot like that again, and it is naturally fake if it is not their real accent.
Which is something I totally don't mind, that's the point of actors, pretend something, but with the woke mob more and more demanding pure representation by actual x y z this can become part 5764 of pointless Twitter drama if those VA weren't speaking there natural accents..

Astray

Gold Member
Downloaded the demo. Will give it a spin at least. I swear, however, if I see one person in an African mythology-inspired setting refer to themselves as "they/them" or nonbinary, I'm deleting this shit pronto.
I've played through the demo during that Steam event. Gameplay was largely ok to good and I didn't see any pronoun stuff either. If you liked the new Prince of Persia you might like it.

The biggest problem was the stuttering for me and that's what I'm largely gonna look for in the reviews.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I've played through the demo during that Steam event. Gameplay was largely ok to good and I didn't see any pronoun stuff either. If you liked the new Prince of Persia you might like it.

The biggest problem was the stuttering for me and that's what I'm largely gonna look for in the reviews.
Yeah, I did see a lot of shader comp stutters. Every time you use a new move, it stutters the first time. I take it this is UE4?

Astray

Gold Member
Yeah, I did see a lot of shader comp stutters. Every time you use a new move, it stutters the first time. I take it this is UE4?
I think so.

Some of the platforming controls needed retuning too from what I recall (the demo build has a message upfront saying that the game is still in development and it kinda showed tbh).

Gaiff

Just beat the demo and it's pretty good. This is definitely something I'd consider purchasing since it has a lot of Ori influence and that's one of the greatest modern 2D platformers (or hell, maybe even among the best ever).

Don't really care about the story and I hope Sweet Baby Inc didn't dig their grubby claws too deeply into this.

I also hope they solve the shader compilation stutters.

Gaiff

Also, why the fuck does a game with this setting spearheaded by a British man of Kenyan descent need fucking Sweet Baby Inc?

Madonis

Oh, this is out? I was vaguely interested in the game after the reveal.

Leaving aside the nonsensical conversation some people are having about it, I've put it on my wishlist for a future sale.

Top Bottom