• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 = $500, PSP = $249?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
these people get paid to write this?

"We expect Sony to introduce its next console with more functionality than its current console. We base this conclusion on the introduction of the PSX, planned for late this year.

Are you serious? Maybe they're planning on starting two different product lines? These people are retarded.

IJoel

popcorn.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If they are basing anticipated extra functionality based on the PSX they should take a look at how that thing is doing in Japan.

If PS3 were $500 it would lose a lot of ground to X2 and N5

element

Redbeard said:
But... but... but... it will play PSOne games!
:lol

would be interesting to see what would happen if PS3 was MSRP at $500. not that i would think Sony would ever do that. suicide.

Insertia

By late 2006, we expect the cost to include these features to decline to around $250, but speculate that the next generation console, should it include these features, could debut at $500. At this level, we believe that many consumers will be alienated."

No shit.
That's why PS3 won't have those features, and if it does it certainly won't cost $500.

Tivo functionality in PS3 will be huge, but if it jacks the price to $500 it's worthless.

I expect 'industry analyst' to know that.

As well, the Wedbush analysts check in with their estimate of the PSP launch price, pegging the hardware to sell at $249.99 and software to retail for around $30.

I'm almost positive $249 will be PSP's retail price here in the US. It’s been my expected price since PSP was announced. It's an attractive price for attractive hardware. I could also see Sony dropping it to maybe $229 .

Lend me some of the popcorn please. I'm not even touching on that PS3 price.

Anyways, the PSP is still a bit steep for me, but I can live with it. Was expecting that much (or a little more). We'll have to see what Sony's final price will turn out to be.

Mashing

A direct result of Sony being the market leader... rising prices... I don't like it at all. Not one damn bit.

But to cover my ass: This guy probably doesn't know shit

Mashing

Of course I am... They are the ones touting technology.. that kind of approach is only going to lead to higher prices...

It seems that Sony has made it more about the technology than the games. Even if that may not be your assesment, as a gamer it shouldn't make you pleased.

Mrbob

Damn the PS2 was rumored to cost $1000. Now the PS3 will only cost $500?

That must mean a PS3 launch price of $150!!!

$500?! I was barely able to bring myself to pay $300 for the PS2. No way in hell I'm paying $500 for any system I don't care what games come out for it.

Well not NEVER, if it could enable me to travel through time or give me the winning lottery numbers for every state for every big game constantly..then MAYBE.

davis

That about wraps it up for PS3, lol

well they could remove Backward Compatibility and save $100 according to some thats how much it costs, er umm.

----

Banned
PS2 was $380 when it launched in Japan in March of 2000. I remember how everyone made a big deal about that and used it as a reason why the Dreamcast which had just been released on 9/9/99 for $199 was going to kick it's ass. Yeah.

I wouldn't be surprised if a premium PS3 retails at $500 (or more), but of course there will be a regular model for $300.

$30 for PSP software at launch? Bet it's more like $35-40.

Gek54

Mashing said:
Of course I am... They are the ones touting technology.. that kind of approach is only going to lead to higher prices...

It seems that Sony has made it more about the technology than the games. Even if that may not be your assesment, as a gamer it shouldn't make you pleased.

Yes, I am very, very nervous that Sony wont come through on having great games on the PS3 or PSP. Trembling in me booties.

The PS2 tech was hyped just as much if not more. Even Xbox was heavy on the hardware capabilities. I think the only company that tried to steer more attention to the games was Nintendo. Hmm...

jarrod

Banned
Analysis have been saying SCEI might delay PS3 into 2007 in order to get Cell/BRD costs down to managable levels. No matter what, I expect a $299 launch price in the US probably for both PS3 and PSP.

FightyF

Banned
I paid that much for my Dreamcast at launch (Japanese launch). :p

Maybe they are banking on a bit longer life for the PS2, while allowing the rich people to get the PS3. Maybe by year 2 or 3 the price will come down to a mass-market price...and this is all a part of their plan? In the end, they'd have the most powerful machine, and people would end up buying it anyways.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's a bullshit report. PSP will cost more, and we know already now that the cost of PSP games is similar to PS2 games, not $30 - anyone have a link?

Gattsu25

Banned
TOO MANY IDIOTS IN THIS THREAD

this is speculation folks...but i guess it's wrong to expect anyone to read past a semi-misleading thread title

Mashing said:
A direct result of Sony being the market leader... rising prices... I don't like it at all. Not one damn bit.

But to cover my ass: This guy probably doesn't know shit
Gek54 said:
You cant be serious.

While I don't think the $500 speculation has merit, it is true that for a system of its age, PS2 has a higher price than any other console I can think of.

JoshuaJSlone said:
While I don't think the $500 speculation has merit, it is true that for a system of its age, PS2 has a higher price than any other console I can think of.

That's because Sony can sell it at that price and they know it'll sell. Sony's never launched a system at 500 dollars, so they have no idea if it can sell at that. It's overall a very risky move for them to put a system out at would probably 200dollars more than your competitors. They saw what affect they had on the Saturn by launching the PSone at 100 dollars cheaper, imagine 2 systems having a 200 dollar cheaper pricetag or probably more. I doubt they'd risk it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
to be honest there is no real evidence pointing to the ps3 being 500 dollars nor is there evidence saying its not going to be 500 dollars. We know absolutely nothing about it.

evil ways

Sony wouldn't be so stupid to release the PS3 at $500, but if they do I will sure as hell not buy one until it drops about $200-$250 in price. So at this rate, if the big WHAT IFs are Xbox 2 not backwards compatible and PS3 costing $500, I'll be playing PS2/Xbox/GC until 2007.

Nicco

This is an analyst. Analysts are based on facts. The fact is that Sony is spending 1.8 billion--with a 'b'--dollars on the Cell processor alone. The fact is that the PS3 will be backwards compatible with the PS2. The fact is that many non-gaming features will be installed on the PS3. The fact is that the PS3 will utilize cutting edge blu-ray technology. The fact is that Sony has the audacity to release the PSX stateside for $700.

Knowing all this is it entirely out of logic to suggest that the PS3 will be $500?

Dujour

Banned
I doubt it'll be that much, but if so, I'm not getting it on launch. Hm, PS2's the last Sony system that I bye on launch.

Top Bottom