• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 = $500, PSP = $249?

BuddyChrist83 said:
was it weighing down on your soul so much that you had to bump a thread that's almost three weeks old?

does it really matter? maybe the topic interested him. what a concept. not everyone lives on the first page.

ibhat.gif

Analysts know shit.

neptunes

who the fuck bumped this thread?

I agree with BuddyChrist, lock this up it's too old to even argue about.

not to mention it's still speculation.

neptunes said:
who the fucked bumped this thread?

I agree with BuddyChrist, lock this up it's too old to even argue about.

not to mention it's still speculation.

can you read? it's obvious who bumped it, now is it that much of a big deal? christ. do you have to post all of replies within two days of the topic? speculation isn't to be discussed?

HalfPastNoon said:
why do people still think that the IBL, IBB shit is funny? analysts know shit? i wonder why they're paid the big bucks then...

These guys have never been right about console prices. Do they seriously think Sony will sell the PS3 at $500? I'm sure that's maybe what they should be selling at to break even, or mayve even a fair amount under that price. But Sony knows as well as everybody else they seriously can't even consider selling the PS3 for more than $400 (more like $350 IMO).

Also, IBHAT is funny because I replaced "HAT" with a hat.

Nicco

BuddyChrist83 said:
was it weighing down on your soul so much that you had to bump a thread that's almost three weeks old?
It's more the fact that what I posted had to be said. :p.

neptunes said:
3 weeks speculation?

is that too old for you? guess what, most people are speculating who the next president will be, and that's 4 months away!! i guess we should only speculate on that day and the two after.

Tellaerin

There's nothing to indicate that the introduction of the PSX will lead Sony to include TiVo-style functionality in the PS3. It's all speculation on the part of the analysts. Outside of corporate financial matters, most analysts seem out of their depth when it comes to making predictions about the videogame industry, so you really have to take statements like this with a pound or two of salt.

I do think that marketing an optional hard drive peripheral/video capture device as a 'TiVo kit' would be a brilliant move on Sony's part. It'd make the extra expense of a hard drive add-on more palatable to consumers, since you'd get non-gaming functionality out of it as well. And since it would cost less than a standalone TiVo, it'd be appealing to people who'd already bought the system. It'll be interesting to see if Sony goes anywhere with that.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Well $249 for PSP sound about what I figured but PS3 at $500 is very high. I doubt that PS3 would release at that price but if it did I would most likely still buy it, I wouldn't be able to get Xbox 2 though.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Newsflash! Kutarugi has already said repeatedly that Sony would never launch a primary system exceeding $300. They are smart enough to realize that price alienation could easily lead to market suicide. A secondary system with an enhanced feature set, such as the current PSX, is more than feasible & has been hinted on.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Newsflash! Kutarugi has already said repeatedly that Sony would never launch a primary system exceeding $300. *

* = outside Japan.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
yeah, i'm sure we are going to get a good hosing over here in Japan with both the PSP and the PS3.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Serafitia said:
I doubt it'll be that much, but if so, I'm not getting it on launch. Hm, PS2's the last Sony system that I bye on launch.

*joins the queue*

Btw, there's two models of PS3 planned apparently - one PSX-style model with a million and one tech-whore features and another that's a bit more bare bones. The bare bones one is probably more likely to hit for $300 since it's doubtful it'll have a Blu-Ray Burner on it. Of course, I'm speculating.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nicco said:
This is an analyst. Analysts are based on facts. The fact is that Sony is spending 1.8 billion--with a 'b'--dollars on the Cell processor alone. The fact is that the PS3 will be backwards compatible with the PS2. The fact is that many non-gaming features will be installed on the PS3. The fact is that the PS3 will utilize cutting edge blu-ray technology. The fact is that Sony has the audacity to release the PSX stateside for $700.

Knowing all this is it entirely out of logic to suggest that the PS3 will be $500?

Yes, Sony Computer Entertainment != Sony Electronics.

PlayStation 3 != PSX2.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
boutrosinit said:
*joins the queue*

Btw, there's two models of PS3 planned apparently - one PSX-style model with a million and one tech-whore features and another that's a bit more bare bones. The bare bones one is probably more likely to hit for $300 since it's doubtful it'll have a Blu-Ray Burner on it. Of course, I'm speculating.

Blu-Ray Re-Writeable/Burner on PSX2/Home Server and Blu-Ray ROM on PlayStation 3: users expect a new format with the new console and Sony needs a Trojan horse (I know the expression is over-used, but it gets the meaning across :)) for the Blu-Ray technology.

Vieo

This is an analyst. Analysts are based on facts. The fact is that Sony is spending 1.8 billion--with a 'b'--dollars on the Cell processor alone. The fact is that the PS3 will be backwards compatible with the PS2. The fact is that many non-gaming features will be installed on the PS3. The fact is that the PS3 will utilize cutting edge blu-ray technology. The fact is that Sony has the audacity to release the PSX stateside for $700.

Damn. Makes a good point.

Gantz

Banned
---- said:
PS2 was $380 when it launched in Japan in March of 2000. I remember how everyone made a big deal about that and used it as a reason why the Dreamcast which had just been released on 9/9/99 for $199 was going to kick it's ass. Yeah.

Well the Japanese wanted a game system that played movies. They didn't care about the games.

Chittagong

Gold Member
PS2 launced in Scandinavia in Nov 2000 at 500 eur without games or memory card included in the price, and the queue went all around the block of the biggest department store in Helsinki. Across the street there was around a hundred hippies and communists having an annual "Do Not Buy Anything Day" demonstration, while people walked with blue PS2 plastic bags and laughed at them.

Nicco said:

Knowing all this is it entirely out of logic to suggest that the PS3 will be $500?

The fact is the PSX wasn't one of Sony's "gaming" systems as they've stated a million times. It was for tech people. The gaming Playstations won't be priced like that because as they said with the PSX, there's different markets for the people that want the gaming systems and the tech ones. And as you were pointing out, the PSX was 700 and it also didn't sell which tells Sony that they better not pull anything like that with a real system or else they're going to mess up.

Also these analysts when the PS2 was getting ready to launch were reporting the PS2 was going to be a huge flop for Sony because they were a 1 hit wonder. I don't know what facts they were working off, but it's not the ones that's put the PS2 on track to being the best selling console ever.

So if you want to talk about logic, that simply tells them to not even think of pricing the PS3 at anything above 400 at most in Japan.

kevm3

It's not going to cost $500 dollars when it launches in the US. Sony didn't get to the top and stay there for two generations by being stupid. They're not dumb enough to launch a console at half a grand while the x-box 2 is $300 or so.

lordmrw

Gunstar77 said:
Well $249 for PSP sound about what I figured but PS3 at $500 is very high. I doubt that PS3 would release at that price but if it did I would most likely still buy it, I wouldn't be able to get Xbox 2 though.

I find it amazing that people are already deciding what systems they're going to buy when there's absolutely no clue what games will be on them. Incredible.

madara

Actually it might make alot sense to do that for first year. There will not be enough ps3 to go around anyway. Why not get most $$ out of situation and let must own now early adopter get screwed alittle, they are use to it anyway with HDTV and all there gadgets be alot better and cheaper months afterwards. We all ready know there was people paying up $1000 for ps2 on ebay back during launch time.

Nicco

SolidSnakex said:
The fact is the PSX wasn't one of Sony's "gaming" systems as they've stated a million times. It was for tech people...
By the same token, doesn't it exceed logic to release a portable "gaming" over $200? Is that only for "tech people" too?

Nicco

kevm3 said:
It's not going to cost $500 dollars when it launches in the US. Sony didn't get to the top and stay there for two generations by being stupid. They're not dumb enough to launch a console at half a grand while the x-box 2 is $300 or so.
See, here is the logic that needs to die. This whole "they're not that dumb" complex. Even with Sony launching the PSX for $700 and launching a portable console for (likely) over $200. And let's not forget all the other points I mentioned already--in particular the 1.8 billion--with a 'b'--dollars being invested in the Cell.

I'm not saying that the PS3 will be $500. But I'm not denying it will be because I'm looking at the writing on the wall. It is amazing how blind fanboyancy makes people--at least come up with a more logical defense that "Sony's not that stupid." And if you aren't even going to entertain the idea, then you're no better than the people who are so quick to believe it.

It is an analyst. This is a forum. Why not debate on the facts rather than call people idiots and mudsling. That's it.

Nicco said:
By the same token, doesn't it exceed logic to release a portable "gaming" over $200? Is that only for "tech people" too?

Sony's not aiming for the typical handheld market with the PSP, they're trying to build their own market with it. With the PS3 they have their market and they know what price their market accepts for buying their hardware.

Top Bottom