• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

cloudyy

I guess the active PS3/360 gamers are replacing/upgrading to PS4 en masse. Long generation, cross-gen games/ports (means you don't miss out if you ditch previous system), PS4 barely more expensive than a new PS3. Wonder how it will do in the long run, this doesn't seem to be like the wii/ps2 which brought so many people that didn't play video games before.

I can't believe how much this system is selling. I'm a huge PlayStation fan and while I'm getting a PS4 later this week (got it at a killer deal) it still baffles me it's selling this much. I know Infamous SS just came out (which will be my first PS4 game) but the library is still pretty limited...what is pushing these sales? Sony's good faith with consumers?
Multiplats, games to come and a lot of goodwill

The Llama

Very little is due to "bad pr". We are almost a year removed from that and buyers are getting progressively more low information.

Here is what is doing it:
1. Great price
2. Great software

Now I know the hardcore cannot understand #2 since there isn't shooter hybrid Wrpg exclusive or Naomi from Shenmue animu doll dress up JRPG but it has battlefield, calladuty, asscrud, madden, FIFA, and more. In other words, it has the software people want. In three months it will have gta and the last of us.

It also has free Netflix access and Hulu and other crap.

There are also network effects. Ps4 has become Xbox 360. Your friends have it. Everything is reviewed on it. Developers show their games on it. That it continues to snowball is no surprise.

This is probably the greatest thing I've ever read on here, especially because its 100% true.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Very little is due to "bad pr". We are almost a year removed from that and buyers are getting progressively more low information.

1. Great price
2. Great software

Now I know the hardcore cannot understand #2 since there isn't shooter hybrid Wrpg exclusive or Naomi from Shenmue animu doll dress up JRPG but it has battlefield, calladuty, asscrud, madden, FIFA, and more. In other words, it has the software people want. In three months it will have gta and the last of us.

There are also network effects. Ps4 has become Xbox 360. Your friends have it. Everything is reviewed on it. Developers show their games on it. That it continues to snowball is no surprise.

Lol idiot when can I dim the lightbar

Y2Kev
Likes to talk to himself

Seriously, the price it the big thing why the ps4 is selling. The software could be better but that's what PS+ is for =p

I'm really happy to see how healthy the industry is right now. I really wasn't sure how things would go this first year, but they've greatly exceeded my expectations, and it looks like we're on track for a great console generation.

I see little chance of the XB1 catching the PS4 globally, ever.

213372bu

Banned
Honestly I wonder how much of this momentum is due to "Microsoft flubbed marketing Xbox ONe".

Well. when your friends still think you can't buy/borrow used games for the Xbone and that it requires constant internet connection, you know that they really fucked themselves over at that part.

To me, it's all on Microsoft. They've told the enthusiasts the truth behind all of this with the 180s and whatnot, but they have yet to tell that "mainstream sheep/blue ocean" crowd what has transpired since E3.

If they want people to know that such a thing doesn't exist, if they even know such a problem exists, they should go out and publicly refute those things.

It's like the Wii U, it's the company's fault for the consumer not being educated, the consumer shouldn't be constantly reading up on everything they want to buy.

EDIT: I think PR is one of the plethora of reasons why the Xbone isn't selling as hot as it should be.

Yoday

I'm still struggling to believe that the XB1 won NPD's last month when I can still walk into any store and see piles of XB1's and not a single PS4 in stock anywhere. Tomorrow will be interesting.

1. Great price
2. Great software

Did I miss something?

Lol idiot when can I dim the lightbar
Also I think he needs a doc

Culex

Banned
Right. But it was about 2007 sales originally.

Point is that Nintendo historically loads most of it's profits/hardware at the end of year, 2007 included. I was just pointing out that figure.

PS4 has a good chance of doing incredible numbers. Even if it only averages a million a month worldwide until December 31st this year, it would put LTD at 15 million.

Awesome, they deserve it. I wonder whether the momentum would continue in the coming 2 quarters when games release are usually infrequent, but looking at it now it's a decent lineup (for Q2 anyway) enough to keep the it going till the big guns release at the end of the year, plus playstation now is scheduled for summer release I believe.

May
Child of Light
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Bound by Flame
Transistor
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Watch Dogs

z0OfV.gif

Child of light is April but damn this might be the best gaming may in recent memory. The only game on that list I'll ignore is Spider-Man. Transistor was a big surprise. Can't wait to play it. I adore the music

Mooreberg

1. Great price
2. Great software

It is also software that people can spend a lot of time with, making draughts less apparent to people who do not regularly purchase a ton of games every year.

The funny thing is that I think we will see some games in the fall and next spring that review better than infamous and Titanfall but sell fewer copies due to heavy competition. The market was/is wide open between New Year's and early September when Destiny is released. A lot of companies whiffed big time.

I'm still struggling to believe that the XB1 won NPD's last month when I can still walk into any store and see piles of XB1's and not a single PS4 in stock anywhere. Tomorrow will be interesting.

lower demand spread across 13 countries vs high demand spread across 48 countries.

How many consoles you see in stores doesn't necessarily tell you how well they are selling. The week CoD launches you can find copies at every major store, while the latest Atlus release is nowhere to be seen...does this mean there is no way CoD sold more?

As an aside, I've been in Brazil for the last two months up and down the country, and there definitely seems to be more Xbone's over here.

I've only seen one or two shops stocking PS4's. Maybe Brazil is the only major country MS is winning in.

Brazil isn't a major country at a console's launch. It is when there has been several price drops already.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It is also software that people can spend a lot of time with, making draughts less apparent to people who do not regularly purchase a ton of games every year.

The funny thing is that I think we will see some games in the fall and next spring that review better than infamous and Titanfall but sell fewer copies due to heavy competition. The market was/is wide open between New Year's and early September when Destiny is released. A lot of companies whiffed big time.
Thief did very well. They were smart to put that out when they did.

N.Domixis

Banned
looks like having the superior multiplat games is paying off. This gen will belong to sony. There is no way ms can close a gap that is widening that fast. It took ps3 a whole gen to close the gap the 360 had, and the play station was a stronger brand.

Since it's a sales thread... my local Wal-Mart has both consoles on store shelves now freely available. It took until April for the PS4 to show up in physical form.

Slashlen

1. Great price
2. Great software

Animu doll dress up JRPG is coming, just give Japan a little more time. BELIEVE.

Chobel

IIRC last time (March 2nd?) PS4 software sales were 13 mil, now (April 13th) they're 20 mil, So 7 million in 6 weeks.

That's a lot.

1. Great price
2. Great software

so no new exclusives halfway through the gen? i kid, i kid.

That's a good point. I'm kind of surprised at how few ports we've seen.

I guess the active PS3/360 gamers are replacing/upgrading to PS4 en masse. Long generation, cross-gen games/ports (means you don't miss out if you ditch previous system), PS4 barely more expensive than a new PS3. Wonder how it will do in the long run, this doesn't seem to be like the wii/ps2 which brought so many people that didn't play video games before.
Morpheus will be Sony's bid to bring on non-gamers.

Go_Ly_Dow

with that attach rate and general THIRST for the PS4 and its games I feel SEGA has really really shot themselves in the foot by not localizing Yakuza Isshin. :(

Two million over projected sales for last quarter is pretty awesome. If the game division does not make a profit in the last quarter than there's gotta be a problem.

1. Great price
2. Great software

Casual Friend: "Honestly, I just want a PS4 so I can play BF4 with better graphics, it's all I play anyway, and it's cheaper"

Every single response is some variation of that.

1. Great price
2. Great software

hhahaahhahaha so true

GhaleonEB

The trajectory had them tracking to around 7m by the end of March, so I'm not surprised. Very impressive, and it does not seem to be slowing down.

Curufinwe

I'm really happy to see how healthy the industry is right now. I really wasn't sure how things would go this first year, but they've greatly exceeded my expectations, and it looks like we're on track for a great console generation.

I see little chance of the XB1 catching the PS4 globally, ever.

There's zero chance.

fvng

It's also available practically everywhere in the US where the price didn't change.

tumblr_mad8a4hnAK1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

Not near where I live, I've checked..Why is that so difficult to believe? Your gif does nothing to reinforce your point, it just makes you look obnoxious.

And Amazon doesn't have any in stock (excluding their third party sellers).

I can't believe how much this system is selling. I'm a huge PlayStation fan and while I'm getting a PS4 later this week (got it at a killer deal) it still baffles me it's selling this much. I know Infamous SS just came out (which will be my first PS4 game) but the library is still pretty limited...what is pushing these sales? Sony's good faith with consumers?

These posts make me laugh. I haven't stopped playing my Ps4 since launch which had never happened before in my long history of owning consoles.

At launch it was Knack, Res0gun, Assassins Creed, Need for Speed. Into December I got Killzone, Lego Marvel, then discovered Warframe. In January it was Rayman Legends, Don't Starve, Tomb Raider. In February I discovered War Thunder UK and my Warframe addiction got stronger. Couldn't stop playing it.

Then came last month with MGSV, Infamous, Dead Nation, Towerfall, Fez etc. With playtime going toward Final Fantasy beta and my War Thunder crack addiction.

This month will be final fantasy 14, trials fusion which sold me on the demo and child of light.

Next month is also huge with Transistors, Bound By Flame, MLB The Show and Watch Dogs all hitting.

I have never been so flooded in quality gaming within the first year if a console ever.

Top Bottom