• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

ocean

Banned
It's dumb because it disregards the success of the PS2 and simply says 'look at all these consoles that didn't sell so well' as a precursor to the PS4's potential decline.

I don't think they ever heralded any sort of decline. They just stated a fact: consoles with near-equal launch sales wound up having completely different lifetime sales, thus invalidating it as an indicator for future performance. I think, given historical data, it is irrefutable. Whether a console will do well or not is impossible to determine using launch sales.

It rubbed people the wrong way because I guess it's possible to read it as raining on the party, but I feel they made a well-substantiated claim that can hardly be argued against.

Freeman

Banned
So far its on track to be among the most successful consoles in history. I hope they lower the price aggressively over the years, PS2 got a -33% price cut before its second year and now they have PS+ so it should be even easier to hit that 199$ price as soon as possible.

The way its open to them to dominate this gen, they have the momentum, the hardware, the third party-support, the value, the internal studios, the services, etc.

I hope the PS3 drop in price as soon as possible, to make it easier for PS4 to do the same in the future it would be great to have something on the same ballpark as the PS1/PS2.

VillageBC

Good for you, Sony. Too bad you fucked up by increasing price in Canada. Its practically available everywhere ever since the price increase.

It'll be interesting in MS follows suite and raises the price of the XB1 in Canada. CAD is down, cost of things go up.

Mooreberg

Good games come from a variety of places. But yes, timing of this would suggest Xbox eked ahead for March. The bundling had to have worked.

Edit - I missed an entire quote on this one.

Super long previous generation + selling at a substantially cheaper price point + the plethora of bad MS XBOX PR prior to the One launch (yes, this did effect public perception) = More sales. I'd say software had very little to do with it.

True, I agree with everything you say here. I guess I'm surprised at how much this has reached the general public.

fvng

I can't believe how much this system is selling. I'm a huge PlayStation fan and while I'm getting a PS4 later this week (got it at a killer deal) it still baffles me it's selling this much. I know Infamous SS just came out (which will be my first PS4 game) but the library is still pretty limited...what is pushing these sales? Sony's good faith with consumers?

I think being an early adopter is always based on faith that the console you're buying will deliver in the longrun, even with a thin launch lineup. Chalk this up to a combination of Sony increasing their goodwill with customers and MS completely dropping the ball. It's definitely both, as opposed to just one.

I sold my ps4 last month because I wasn't using it as much as my ps3 because my backlog is so extensive right now, but I'll pick it up again later this year. I didn't sell my PS4 camera because it always seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Good for you, Sony. Too bad you fucked up by increasing price in Canada. Its practically available everywhere ever since the price increase.

It's also available practically everywhere in the US where the price didn't change.

I sold my ps4 last month because I wasn't using it as much as my ps3 because my backlog is so extensive right now, but I'll pick it up again later this year. I didn't sell my PS4 camera because it always seems to be out of stock everywhere.

tumblr_mad8a4hnAK1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

Darknight

Those Wii figures show how INSANE it took off after the same relative time compared the PS4. 24 million in 13 months! PS4 won't do that.

Not the point.

PS4 is the best selling Sony console to date. And if this keeps up, PS4 will sell more than Wii ever did in its lifetime. (longterm)

I can't believe how much this system is selling. I'm a huge PlayStation fan and while I'm getting a PS4 later this week (got it at a killer deal) it still baffles me it's selling this much. I know Infamous SS just came out (which will be my first PS4 game) but the library is still pretty limited...what is pushing these sales? Sony's good faith with consumers?

Better multiplats?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmmm.... the day before NPD makes me think maybe Xbox One actually did pull out the win for the month and this statement is proactive.

This announcement could have been make anytime in the past few days.

edit:

Yep, that's what I think.

Or maybe here is a lag in the reports numbers (like with NPD), so Sony can only get that information a couple of weeks later?

People were telling my I was crazy to believe that PS4 would sell a million in March, hope you eat a lot of crow, boys! :D So That really is another million from March 2nd to April 6th.
Wow, PS4 just killing it, absolutely killing it!

Console gaming is dead lol. Amazing sales, I was expecting it to take a bit longer to get to 7mil sold through.

Hopefully this means less cross-gen games. The only place where last gen seems to still be doing well software-wise is Japan really.

Righteous. PS4 will be the next console I pick up, once the library fills out a bit more and the price drops. Alternately, the right type of 3D platformer or action/adventure game could sway me sooner. Here's hoping the early success of the system encourages a cavalcade of software in my preferred genres.

N.Domixis

Banned
Why are people acting like it matters if Sony lost the March NPD?

Because for MS fans, that is the only thing they will ever be able to win. I think after this month it will be dominated by PS4, they have partnerships with all the biggest games for the rest of the year.

Why are people acting like it matters if Sony lost the March NPD?

i have no idea.

if sony did THAT well in March, AND if MS were to also beat them in sales, then HOT DAMN was that a good month for nextgen console gaming. the faster these things sell the quicker a lot of devs and publishers will jump ship (entirely) over from last gen consoles.

i'm excited. oh btw, i did the math, and if 51mil PS2's were sold by June 2002 and we have 7mil PS4's by the end of March 2014, then the PS4 is selling at around 1.4mil per month and PS2 was (by June 2002) selling at a rate of 1.8mil. it's not *really* PS2 speed, but i'll take it. i hope this is at least inspiring the other divisions of Sony to get off their asses and make some change happen.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Honestly I wonder how much of this momentum is due to "Microsoft flubbed marketing Xbox ONe" and how much is due to Sony returning from the early grave they dug with the $599 PS3. They've had a few disasters like the PSN hack, but overall really rebuilt their brand leading up to PS4 launch.

Wow it is still not slowing down.

how will it slow down when you can't even find a ps4 in a store up until two weeks ago? of course demand is still high because ever since november no one could walk right into a store and purchase one off the shelf. you'd have to be online all day stalking some website tracking supplies because it sells out within 30 minutes. obviously it's nowhere near slowing down. it's been out of stock for almost half a year.

Last gen fatigue and the relatively low price of the PS4.

It's so weird that some put more importance on one region in a thread about worldwide sales. Narrow the scope it it helps get you a win I guess.

jet1911

Hey publishers, stop making cross gen games now please.

Not the point.

PS4 is the best selling Sony console to date. And if this keeps up, PS4 will sell more than Wii ever did in its lifetime. (longterm)

With the sales in Japan do you think it will happen?

Majmun

activision doesn't care. as they've said, they attach cod to xbone and destiny to ps4 because that's how they see the audiences of the two. lol.

and ms is in bed with ea. ms will push bf5, madden, nba live, fifa 15, etc. harder come e3. i think ea was in bed with sony last gen with their dead space, medal of honour, mirror's edge, etc. but it probably did not result into something much more profitable than they expected so ea jumped ship to ms before the announcements. lol poor ea. activision has been quite clever. ubisoft has been sony since who knows when. they stuck with them all throughout even if ac4 froze on stage.

http://bf4stats.com/

MS must be paying EA very well then...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Honestly I wonder how much of this momentum is due to "Microsoft flubbed marketing Xbox ONe" and how much is due to Sony returning from the early grave they dug with the $599 PS3. They've had a few disasters like the PSN hack, but overall really rebuilt their brand leading up to PS4 launch.
Very little is due to "bad pr". We are almost a year removed from that and buyers are getting progressively more low information.

Here is what is doing it:
1. Great price
2. Great software

Now I know the hardcore cannot understand #2 since there isn't shooter hybrid Wrpg exclusive or Naomi from Shenmue animu doll dress up JRPG but it has battlefield, calladuty, asscrud, madden, FIFA, and more. In other words, it has the software people want. In three months it will have gta and the last of us.

It also has free Netflix access and Hulu and other crap.

There are also network effects. Ps4 has become Xbox 360. Your friends have it. Everything is reviewed on it. Developers show their games on it. That it continues to snowball is no surprise.

ascii42

Thanks Aqua :)

Methinks PS4 will cross streams with the Wii sometime this summer

Should beat those other two though fairly easily [PS3, and Wii U lol]

Wonder about the PS2 though

PS2 was only in Japan for its first 7 months, so comparisons with that are tricky.

RaikuHebi

Banned

The power of people like us (the gaming fanatics) cannot be underestimated. It is our impressions at the top of the pyramid that trickle down to the masses. Once Sony started the wave of good will, it was inevitable that it would mop up like this.

Not that any of us saw it coming.

reKon

Banned
Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million

Wii Shipments:

1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2006 - 3.19 million
4 months, 13 days - March 31st, 2007 - 5.84 million
7 months, 12 days - June 30th, 2007 - 9.27 million
10 months, 12 days - September 30th, 2007 - 13.17 million
1 year, 1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2007 - 24.45 million

PS3 Shipments:

1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months, 21 days - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months, 20 days - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months, 20 days - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
1 year, 1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4 Installbase:

2 days - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
17 days - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month, 14 days - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
2 months, 25 days - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million
3 months, 16 days - March 2nd, 2014 - 6.0 million
4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million

Had no idea, wow...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Very little is due to "bad pr". We are almost a year removed from that and buyers are getting progressively more low information.

Here is what is doing it:
1. Great price
2. Great software

Now I know the hardcore cannot understand #2 since there isn't shooter hybrid Wrpg exclusive or Naomi from Shenmue animu doll dress up JRPG but it has battlefield, calladuty, asscrud, madden, FIFA, and more. In other words, it has the software people want. In three months it will have gta and the last of us.

It also has free Netflix access and Hulu and other crap.
Lol idiot when can I dim the lightbar

Top Bottom