• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 homebrew applications are now runnable on retail consoles below firmware 5.00

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Below firmware 5.0? That means this exploits runs only on PS5 that haven't been updated after May 2022. And there's a high probability that games released after that date will demand newer firmware versions, so you can't run "backups" released in the past 30 months.

Kupfer

Below firmware 5.0? That means this exploits runs only on PS5 that haven't been updated after May 2022. And there's a high probability that games released after that date will demand newer firmware versions, so you can't run "backups" released in the past 30 months.
Not yet, but we had workarounds for older PS systems as well.

consoul

Significant progress, though relevant to a very small group. Seems unlikely a kernel mode exploit will ever be found above firmware 4.51.

FStubbs

So basically

Excited One Piece GIF by Funimation

Significant progress, though relevant to a very small group. Seems unlikely a kernel mode exploit will ever be found above firmware 4.51.
Tell me who this small group of people are and why they need homebrew on the PlayStation 5.

I need a real answer and not “because I own it and I should be able to do with it I want”

A real world answer and a real world application of why this small sub-set of people need homebrew on the PlayStation Video Game Console?

StereoVsn

Tell me who this small group of people are and why they need homebrew on the PlayStation 5.

I need a real answer and not “because I own it and I should be able to do with it I want”

A real world answer and a real world application of why this small sub-set of people need homebrew on the PlayStation Video Game Console?
People who want to run homebrew on their consoles? This is why Xbox has a dev mode which is pretty cool.

Folks who may want to develop games for PS5 as an example but can’t afford a dev kit. Or people who want to run emulation software in their console. There could be many reasons besides piracy.

midnightAI

People who want to run homebrew on their consoles? This is why Xbox has a dev mode which is pretty cool.

Folks who may want to develop games for PS5 as an example but can’t afford a dev kit. Or people who want to run emulation software in their console. There could be many reasons besides piracy.
that group is tiny, lets face it, the end game for many is running "game backups" (I honestly cant say that with a straight face)

Ev1L AuRoN

I think you need a dev kit and be signed as a developer in order to launch a game on Playstation.

SoraNoKuni

Great stuff, I wouldn't modify my console in any way those days as I find it not worthwile(Back in PS2 and X360 era, I was enjoying homebrew in every console I had as I was a teenager without money)
But this is a step in the right direction, those consoles are planned to be obsolete, but if you can modify them you can do all sorts of things.

I get it, I really do and I love the idea and really want to believe that there is some poor dude out there with the passion of Miyamoto to develop video games but just can’t afford a dev kit.
So he scrapes what money he has and buys a PS5 to jailbreak/homebrew so he can learn the ins and outs of developing video games.
I just don’t believe it, I’m sorry. Even if there was 3 million home brewed PS5s out there, maybe what, one person is doing that.

Why wouldn’t Sony just do something similar to what the Xbox does (I’m not even sure it’s allowed anymore)?

Kupfer

I get it, I really do and I love the idea and really want to believe that there is some poor dude out there with the passion of Miyamoto to develop video games but just can’t afford a dev kit.
So he scrapes what money he has and buys a PS5 to jailbreak/homebrew so he can learn the ins and outs of developing video games.
I just don’t believe it, I’m sorry. Even if there was 3 million home brewed PS5s out there, maybe what, one person is doing that.

Why wouldn’t Sony just do something similar to what the Xbox does (I’m not even sure it’s allowed anymore)?
I mean we have the FuHEN Homebrew Contest for the Vita for example.
I would like to see more similar contests for other consoles as well.

Miles708

Well, the new ps5 slim version features a detachable disc drive which requires an internet connection to be "activated".

This kind of workaround could be useful as an alternative way to make your console fully functional, should Sony decide to not allow any more activations for one reason or another.

StereoVsn

that group is tiny, lets face it, the end game for many is running "game backups" (I honestly cant say that with a straight face)
I mean sure, it’s not a huge group, but decent amount of people like to run homebrew on consoles. Hell, people still make games for Genesis, NES, Dreamcast, etc…

Esppiral

I don't know, a few demos an a game that is also on PS4 (PS4 backups are a thing on PS5) do not prove that he is running retail game backups

StereoVsn

I think you need a dev kit and be signed as a developer in order to launch a game on Playstation.
Y

Dev mode works pretty well for Xbox. If Sony put something like that for PS5, there would be a lot less incentives to hack it.

MS though has the setup done through virtualization essentially don’t would be hard for Sony to match it.

But point is there have been homebrew and emulation hacking attempts from way back, so again, it’s not just pilots.

Top Bottom