• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Is Reportedly in Serious Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargus

Banned

- April 2, 2020 03:35 pm EDT

According to a new report, the PlayStation 5 is in serious trouble. The report comes from a variety of sources, all of which relay that they've heard from developers making games for the PS5 who are worried about some of the console's shortcomings. The report comes way of Twitter user Jeff Rickel, and has been somewhat substantiated by Windows Central journalists Daniel Rubino and Jez Corden, who have reportedly heard similar scuttlebutt.

The report begins by noting the collective feeling in the developer community is that Sony has dropped the ball, partially because it underestimated Microsoft and the Xbox Series X. And this is why -- by certain measurements -- the PS5's specs are considerably inferior to the specs of the Xbox Series X. According to this new rumor, the PS5 can't maintain its clock speeds, which is causing severe overheating problems, which in turn is causing the hardware to fail at an alarming rate. Further, the lack of power is also apparently leading to optimization issues. While the Xbox Series X is reliable in terms of the power it provides, the PS5 is unpredictable, which in turn makes optimization very challenging.

The report continues by noting that Sony is looking into a complete console redesign to alleviate some of these issues, and this redesign may lead to the console looking similar to the Xbox Series X, which features a very practical design.

The claim wraps up by noting Sony is contemplating a six to twelve month delay in order to make adjustments to the console, but also notes it's considering launching what it has in order to match the release of the Xbox Series X, which would lead to a redesign coming later down the road.

1comments
Of course, all of this should be taken with a huge grain of salt. The source in question isn't the most reputable, but there are reputable sources boosting it and suggesting there's truth to it.

478 people are talking about this

The PlayStation 5 is set to release sometime this holiday season. At the moment of publishing, concrete details about the console are hard to come by, but we do have a growing list of confirmed games you can check out via the link below:
Ewz612L.png

So basically your qualification for repeating something like it's a fact is "I read it on the internet"?

ultrazilla

According to a new report, the PlayStation 5 is in serious trouble. The report comes from a variety of sources, all of which relay that they've heard from developers making games for the PS5 who are worried about some of the console's shortcomings. The report comes way of Twitter user Jeff Rickel, and has been somewhat substantiated by Windows Central journalists Daniel Rubino and Jez Corden, who have reportedly heard similar scuttlebutt.

The report begins by noting the collective feeling in the developer community is that Sony has dropped the ball, partially because it underestimated Microsoft and the Xbox Series X. And this is why -- by certain measurements -- the PS5's specs are considerably inferior to the specs of the Xbox Series X. According to this new rumor, the PS5 can't maintain its clock speeds, which is causing severe overheating problems, which in turn is causing the hardware to fail at an alarming rate. Further, the lack of power is also apparently leading to optimization issues. While the Xbox Series X is reliable in terms of the power it provides, the PS5 is unpredictable, which in turn makes optimization very challenging.

The report continues by noting that Sony is looking into a complete console redesign to alleviate some of these issues, and this redesign may lead to the console looking similar to the Xbox Series X, which features a very practical design.

The claim wraps up by noting Sony is contemplating a six to twelve month delay in order to make adjustments to the console, but also notes it's considering launching what it has in order to match the release of the Xbox Series X, which would lead to a redesign coming later down the road.

1comments
Of course, all of this should be taken with a huge grain of salt. The source in question isn't the most reputable, but there are reputable sources boosting it and suggesting there's truth to it.

The PlayStation 5 is set to release sometime this holiday season. At the moment of publishing, concrete details about the console are hard to come by, but we do have a growing list of confirmed games you can check out via the link below:
Ewz612L.png

Fake or not: Playstation 5 Pro six months after release. Who's with me?
tenor.gif

Last edited:
For what its worth I think Sony should be able to supply a cooling solution for the PS5. One area they have a ton of experience in is consumer electronics cooling.

Cato

Banned

1comments

Ewz612L.png

They haven't even started massproduction but the authors alreay have data about failure rates?
Sure Jane.

newtonfb

Nobody finds it odd that Xbox has released a ton of information, even tear downs but Sony has done zero except a couple of slides? It's clear something is going on inside Sony right now. Cooling issues have been talked about since last year. I get ppl want to defend the company they believe in but the writing is on the wall. Nobody defended the RROD from the 360, it was poorly designed period.

ZehDon

So, we’re down to commenting on reporting of reports of articles about fuck-tastically stupid YouTube comments. You know, maybe we deserve the corona virus after all...

Sony could very well be having thermal issues. But these clowns aren’t the ones to know about it.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Gold Member

I remeber CODE when I was in ERA, he is one of the biggest X fan there is, he reminds me of some here actually. He was the one who coined the term "corridor racer" back when Driveclub was launched and same person who spread FUD Sony will shift to 3rd party before PS4 launched. So not suprise he is so invested in this, just hope he is getting paid for all that work. :pie_moneyface:

Three

Yeah, because Jason Schreier is an upstanding and valuable source of information.

reg.png
Right, as if the others are better.
As noted previously; if you guys want to do away with stuff like this then all of your little fanboy Youtube videos you guys post as an attempt to reinenforce your views have to go as well.

It's a two way street.
He's the one who hid the twitter posts that were exposed.

Last edited:
Lol why is it the Xbox side of it is always ugly and distasteful when it come to this? I don’t recall or know even a handful of ‘pro’ PS folks out there trying to bash or downplay the XseX.

Clearly they’re very narrow minded. This is a first where the step to next gen isn’t conventional like MS have gone, bigger numbers thrown everywhere, (nothing wrong with that, it’s tried and tested) Sony have clearly gone an unconventional way using very heavy customisation for their next gen console. It must physically hurt peoples head trying to process that approach or something.

Lol why is it the Xbox side of it is always ugly and distasteful when it come to this? I don’t recall or know even a handful of ‘pro’ PS folks out there trying to bash or downplay the XseX.

Clearly they’re very narrow minded. This is a first where the step to next gen isn’t conventional like MS have gone, bigger numbers thrown everywhere, (nothing wrong with that, it’s tried and tested) Sony have clearly gone an unconventional way using very heavy customisation for their next gen console. It must physically hurt peoples head trying to process that approach or something.
You've got to be kidding me... There was a week a half of straight "SSD! SSD! SSD!" aimed at pulling the wind from Xbox's sails and continual denial and delusion hurled at the compute not mattering when just prior it was everything. Even worse that somehow an SSD was going to play a role in closing the compute gap. What's happening now? People peddling that fixed compute is inferior to a variable frequencies...

Don't give me this BS, we all lived through it, we're still living through it. Total cognitive dissonance around here and revisionist history, you guys need to get your shit together.

Last edited:
You've got to be kidding me... There was a week a half of straight "SSD! SSD! SSD!" aimed at pulling the wind from Xbox's sails and continual denial and delusion hurled at the compute not mattering when just prior it was everything. Even worse that somehow an SSD was going to play a role in closing the compute gap. What's happening now? People peddling that fixed compute is inferior to a variable frequencies...

Don't give me this BS, we all lived through it, we're still living through it. Total cognitive dissonance around here and revisionist history, you guys need to get your shit together.

If you read what I wrote I’m talking about people who have ties to MS closely, they seem to have a squad of PR guys trying to do damage, not your usual forum posters on here.

We should probably leave garbage like this to N4G.com

N4G doesn't allow rumors from anonymous sources there.
Ball is in Mark Sony court to show more.

Either squash the rumors or take it up the ass.

Phil team has been so transparent and clear, that is the benchmark we use. Dont blame others.

Sony doesn't have to immediately respond to rumors. Everyday there's rumors being made. You can't expect Sony to respond to all of them.

Because the Xbox fans were slapping asses and high-fiving each other when Sony dropped the initial specs. Then people started to digest the info and it came out that the power difference between PS5 and XSX is less than Pro and 1X. Well now those Xbox fans aren’t exactly happy anymore. They are mad. So mad, they crawled back to their Discord and started plotting how to spread FUD on REE. Too bad the Discord was full of multiple people gathering evidence to show how pathetic they are. You are basically seeing manchildren mad that their console isn’t the slam dunk they thought it was and trolling.

Last edited:
Please give me atleast 3 names, known associates of the PS brand. They don’t have to work directly for Sony but have to be someone pro like Brad sam, Jez Corden and the usual suspects.
It's not really any one person, it's more veiled and orchestrated than that. Jason Schreier has absolutely shown his cards, he's the hot ticket right now. Take a look at the SSD situation, people who are heavily associated with Sony came out of the woodwork to praise the SSD like they had just learned about it. It was a seemingly unending Twitter feed of brown nosing, and what made it all the more nauseating is you know that each and every single one of them already knew what it was ages ago.

There's people that go to bat for Microsoft in the journalism field, and then there's orchestrated marketing assaults via developers and associates. Sony falls heavily into the latter.

drganon

Gold Member
8vR5Jni.png
I5yLDUN.png
mYlIdRq.png

And some People really took what this guy said and ran with it .

Judging by the stuff above its not hard to come to the conclusion that this is some FUD.
As someone who doesn't give a shit about console wars, that Twitter discussion is fucking hilarious knowing what actually happened.

lynux3

It's not really any one person, it's more veiled and orchestrated than that. Jason Schreier has absolutely shown his cards, he's the hot ticket right now. Take a look at the SSD situation, people who are heavily associated with Sony came out of the woodwork to praise the SSD like they had just learned about it. It was a seemingly unending Twitter feed of brown nosing, and what made it all the more nauseating is you know that each and every single one of them already knew what it was ages ago.

There's people that go to bat for Microsoft in the journalism field, and then there's orchestrated marketing assaults via developers and associates. Sony falls heavily into the latter.
So you name Jason Schreier, the guy who just scorched Naughty Dog, as being a known associate of the PlayStation brand? Interesting. Try harder next time?

mekes

“Aimed at pulling the wind from Xbox’s sails” 😂

You are all the way invested. The lockdowns need to end, let this man breathe!

fallingdove

Orchestrated marketing assaults? You guys are really fucking insecure.

slade

Part of it is Sony's silence but right now is about the only time these guys get to try and control the narrative. That's why we're getting articles left and right from somebody's dad that knew the Janitor at Sony.

quest

Not Banned from OT
if trouble means a weaker console than yes. they are in trouble. people want games though so power doesn't mean much.
Some of us want both. So PS5 for the awesome ND and other Sony games and Microsoft for 3rd party and gamepass.

There is zero question Sony will sell more by close to 2 to 1. Sony is in zero trouble.

bigdawg69

Banned
Some of us want both. So PS5 for the awesome ND and other Sony games and Microsoft for 3rd party and gamepass.

There is zero question Sony will sell more by close to 2 to 1. Sony is in zero trouble.
If they don't that's an upset. I expect sony to shit on xbox. be careful though. if nintendo ever wants to step up to the big boy graphics say goodnite to sony.

leo-j

I want to love the PS5 and I do believe when it's all said and done the console will do fine but I can't help but think Sony really did drop the ball and underestimate Microsoft. Regardless of everything we do or don't know, from the release of the One X and Microsoft being hell bent on having the best console to play, Sony should of known they needed a powerful competing console. I feel like they let their ego with the PS4 success get to them and execs were more worried about cost and the greed of larger profits then trying to finally give Playstation fans a real evolution in gaming. I just can't help but feel they didn't as hard as they should have.
i think they saw ps4 pro sales vs Xbox one x sales .

I think they also thought off a different approach to the console space and felt the idea of a cheaper but still powerful console would be a wise idea to them.

A $399 ps5 would dominate a 499 series x. Just like a 399 pro has obliterated the entire Xbox one line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom