• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Newbie: setting up questions

Camaway2

Hi guys, I got my hand on a PS5 directly from Sony and it's finally in my hands. I plan to set it up this evening and I have some questions:

1) I bought an HD expansion, a Seagate FireCuda 530 NVMe SSD. Can I install it straight out of the box or I need to plug and setup the PS5 first?

2) The aforementioned HD doesn't have a heatsink. I read that many install it without it and without having problems. Any thought?

3) I have a 2TB HD connected to my PS4 Pro. Can I just plug it in once I set up the PS5 with the same accounts and it will see games and saves? If not any steps I should take?

Riky

$MSFT
I would update your firmware first before installing anything, make sure it's up to date.
You need a heatsink from tests I watched, even a cheap one will do.
I did exactly that with an external but it made me redownload my games even on the same account, that was nearer launch so maybe it has changed.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

You can install it straight out the box, it won't recognise it til updated though.

Get a heatsink.

I just plugged my ps4 external into my ps5 and could play all the games on it straight away.

Skifi28

The internal disk needs to be formatted after installation, it'll take a few minutes. The external one should work as is from the ps4. Seeing some tests, it seems that a heatsink isn't really required when gaming as high speeds aren't sustained to cause issue. It's in file transfers that you will see speeds drop due to heat.

Forth

I’m unable to post a new thread so I’m hoping someone can help me.
I’ve set my PS5 to display HDR when supported but if I turn the in-game HDR setting off in GOW 2018 and Resident Evil 7, the TV still stays in HDR MODE and doesn’t switch to SDR. Is this how it is supposed to work?
Thanks.

Last edited:

poodaddy

I’ve set my PS5 to display HDR when supported but if I turn the in-game HDR setting off in GOW 2018 and Resident Evil 7, the TV still stays in HDR MODE and doesn’t switch to SDR. Is this how it is supposed to work?
Thanks.
This is an interesting question actually, wouldn't mind seeing someone more knowledgeable than me provide some insight.

Thebonehead

Banned
Thanks.

Both my PS5 and XsX do this - Looks hideous when dropping to the dashboards and seeing oversaturated colours everywhere

Forth

Thanks for the clarification. I can see the PS5 renders its dashboard in HDR but why have the in-game setting if the game is unable to do this?
It seems if you don’t want the game game to display HDR then it has to be turned off at the system level.

Pedro Motta

Thanks for the clarification. I can see the PS5 renders its dashboard in HDR but why have the in-game setting if the game is unable to do this?
It seems if you don’t want the game game to display HDR then it has to be turned off at the system level.
GOW 2018 is still a PS4 game, it's in-game setting probably doesn't take into account the dashboard on the PS5 is in HDR.

Forth

Hello, I’ve found that moving games to the M2 SSD from the consoles storage is a lot slower than moving from M2 storage to console storage, is this normal? Is the write speed of the console storage slower than any installed SSD?
Also I have all of my games on my M2 storage and console storage is now greyed out in the storage settings, should it be like this?
Thanks.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Hello, I’ve found that moving games to the M2 SSD from the consoles storage is a lot slower than moving from M2 storage to console storage, is this normal? Is the write speed of the console storage slower than any installed SSD?
Also I have all of my games on my M2 storage and console storage is now greyed out in the storage settings, should it be like this?
Thanks.
The write speed of onboard storage could be slower considering when the console spec was finalized. People are installing M.2 drives that are faster than the PS5 minimum requirement so it makes sense that writing to them could be faster than writing to internal storage

Top Bottom