• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 share in France vs Xbox reaches 93% vs 7%

Ozzie666

I still can't believe how they got here. But the industry needs competition, so MS needs to keep on trucking and pushing Sony, to be the best Sony. Halo Infinte debut is where the cracks really became obvious. Is it possible MS got so distracted with the Activision takeover it dropped the ball completely? Or is Microsoft playing some obtuse long game we can't see it. Betting everything on cloud and streaming?

If this happened to any other manufcatuerw ithout unlimeted funs they would be dead just like Sega. I am so tempted to trade my series X in for a portal and dualsense egde or something. So disappointed.

At least Don Matrick had a plan and a direction, even if it sucked. But this MS is all over the place.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Then why even comment on consumers not buying Xboxs then if you don't care?
I say it's because humans like to chat shit regardless if you care or not. It happens in the real world. I partake in it now and again when just chilling etc. Doesn't mean I or anyone else who does it cares.

I say it's because humans like to chat shit regardless if you care or not. It happens in the real world. I partake in it now and again when just chilling etc. Doesn't mean I or anyone else who does it cares.

I guess people can always imagine a different situation if it helps them. Sometimes facing reality can be difficult but this isn't really a subject that should affect someone on an emotional level.

Sometimes people need to say some things to make themselves feel better. I really should allow them to do that since keeping it in can be harmful.

People are going to find ways to blow off some steam. I accept that and will make an effort not to feed them or change them.

I still can't believe how they got here. But the industry needs competition, so MS needs to keep on trucking and pushing Sony, to be the best Sony. Halo Infinte debut is where the cracks really became obvious. Is it possible MS got so distracted with the Activision takeover it dropped the ball completely? Or is Microsoft playing some obtuse long game we can't see it. Betting everything on cloud and streaming?

If this happened to any other manufcatuerw ithout unlimeted funs they would be dead just like Sega. I am so tempted to trade my series X in for a portal and dualsense egde or something. So disappointed.

At least Don Matrick had a plan and a direction, even if it sucked. But this MS is all over the place.
The whole point of "Competition", is that losers get off stage so that better people replace them.

Market has spoken and Xbox has failed. But Xbox refuse to get off the stage because Microsoft is keeping it on life support. This is BAD for competition, because there is now no room for fresh faces to take a crack at third place. Xbox is preventing the industry from innovating by taking up the third place spot and NOT GIVING WAY to others.

Xbox only manages to exist because SEGA is no longer first party. If SEGA had infinite free cash to keep going, then there would never have been an Xbox. Time for Xbox to pay it forward and let someone else take a shot.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I guess people can always imagine a different situation if it helps them. Sometimes facing reality can be difficult but this isn't really a subject that should affect someone on an emotional level.

Sometimes people need to say some things to make themselves feel better. I really should allow them to do that since keeping it in can be harmful.

People are going to find ways to blow off some steam. I accept that and will make an effort not to feed them or change them.
It can be all of that or what I said but it doesn't mean it's either. They could be taking the piss.
Its your interpretation.

The whole point of "Competition", is that losers get off stage so that better people replace them.

Market has spoken and Xbox has failed. But Xbox refuse to get off the stage because Microsoft is keeping it on life support. This is BAD for competition, because there is now no room for fresh faces to take a crack at third place. Xbox is preventing the industry from innovating by taking up the third place spot and NOT GIVING WAY to others.

Xbox only manages to exist because SEGA is no longer first party. If SEGA had infinite free cash to keep going, then there would never have been an Xbox. Time for Xbox to pay it forward and let someone else take a shot.

I get your point, but let's clarify that the Xbox was announced in March 2000. The Dreamcast wasn't discontinued until a year later and if was potentially Microsoft's entry into the market that really pushed Sega out.

I do think that Microsoft's bankrolling of the Xbox has been a net negative for the industry though. I think the time for a likely competitor to replace Microsoft now has probably come and gone. With the exception of Tencent or Apple, I can't really envision anyone getting into the market at this point. I don't think either is really pushed out by Microsoft.

I think we're on a trajectory for a platform agnostic environment anyways.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

i don't disagree, however is there someone capable of becoming the third major player? who has the ambition, knowledge or the cash to step in. Apple, Google, Amazon, Samsung someone else? I still think through all the doom and gloom Microsoft is sitll making some money or breaking even with Xbox. What company could step up and make a box or chase that streaming future. I'm not sure there is a worthy replacement at the moment. I also am not sure if Microsoft would just step aside and chase whatever is they are chasing.

i don't disagree, however is there someone capable of becoming the third major player? who has the ambition, knowledge or the cash to step in. Apple, Google, Amazon, Samsung someone else? I still think through all the doom and gloom Microsoft is sitll making some money or breaking even with Xbox. What company could step up and make a box or chase that streaming future. I'm not sure there is a worthy replacement at the moment. I also am not sure if Microsoft would just step aside and chase whatever is they are chasing.
I still remember when Playstation was first mentioned. It was in a magazine article along with several other consoles that never ended up saw the light of day. No one really think Sony was up to the task back then.

But there was room in the industry for Sony back then. Because those who failed were allowed to fail. Because the point of competition is to bring in fresh ideas and fresh perspectives, while retiring the likes of Jaguar and (it's painful to say) Dreamcast.

Xbox had been trying the same thing and failing for two generations now. They are no longer qualified as competition.

PeteBull

I still can't believe how they got here. But the industry needs competition, so MS needs to keep on trucking and pushing Sony, to be the best Sony.
Competition is good, thats what capitalism is all about, thats why its good, that terrible value proposition ms is offering with its xbox series consoles- aka no high quality exclusives- is rewarded accordingly.

Much weaker switch sold so many consoles(132m+ according to official numbers https://www.gameinformer.com/news/2...llion-units-sold-alongside-great-tears-of-the ).

Good product is rewarded, bad product isnt, so just as it should be.
Hopefully microsoft draws proper conclusions and comes back fighting next gen, otherwise they will get bad sales again.

Lokaum D+

Y would anyone buy a Xbox If u can use Gamepass pretty much everywhere, even microwave comes with Gamepass pre installed.

Last edited:

Woopah

Microsoft has no obligation to "pay it forward" or give away a place. Its not set in stone that there are only 3 places in the console market.

Just like how Nintendo had no obligation to give up their place after Wii U or GameCube.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just to get more perspective on the whole UK / France / Spain boasting.

I’m sure putting them all together is enough to warrant putting in some effort ,but they are still far below the main stage. MS needs to do something for sure but it’s not a do or die situation like you guys are trying to say.

Top countries and markets by video game revenues
  • United States. 46.4B. 209.8M.
  • China. 44.0B. 699.6M.
  • Japan. 19.1B. 73.4M.
  • South Korea. 7.4B. 33.3M.
  • Germany. 6.5B. 49.5M.
  • United Kingdom. 5.5B. 38.5M.
  • France. 4.1B. 38.8M.
  • Canada. 3.3B. 22.0M

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I’m sure putting them all together is enough to warrant putting in some effort ,but they are still far below the main stage. MS needs to do something for sure but it’s not a do or die situation like you guys are trying to say.

• China. 44.0B. 699.6M.
  • Japan. 19.1B. 73.4M.
  • Germany. 6.5B. 49.5M.
  • France. 4.1B. 38.8M.
  • Canada. 3.3B. 22.0M
It's the declining market share of Xbox which is the problem.

Of the top 4 markets you mentioned, Xbox doesn't exist in 3 of them. The United States is the only market where Xbox used to have a respectable market share, and yet its market share has shrunk in the US. It's selling even worse than Xbox One did, and PS5 outsold Xbox Series X + S by nearly 2:1 this year in the United States.

The situation is definitely not what Microsoft expected when they were claiming in 2020 that they have a plan to win this console generation.

• China. 44.0B. 699.6M.
  • Japan. 19.1B. 73.4M.
  • Germany. 6.5B. 49.5M.
  • France. 4.1B. 38.8M.
  • Canada. 3.3B. 22.0M
You won't achieve 'Industry Leadership' by performing like that. 2024 is going to be a breaking point for Xbox. This year was supposed to be the one that would establish an upward trend, but it has been the opposite

Woopah

• China. 44.0B. 699.6M.
  • Japan. 19.1B. 73.4M.
  • Germany. 6.5B. 49.5M.
  • France. 4.1B. 38.8M.
  • Canada. 3.3B. 22.0M
Those numebrs are all gaming and noy just console though. If we look at the countries in terms of size of console hardware sales:

• UK - 4th biggest market for PS4, 4th biggest for Switch and 2nd biggest for Xbox One and
  • France - 5th biggest market for PS4, 3rd biggest for Switch and 5th biggest for Xbox One
  • Spain - 6th biggest for PS4, 8th biggest for Switch and 9th biggest for Xbox One.
These countries aren't the same size as the US or Japan, but they are still pretty important.

Ansphn

PlayStation will be there expanding its business into PC, snd Mobile so they will have new competition (Tencent, Microsoft, Apple, Steam) as they grow out and upward. Xbox is dead. There's a new battlefield now (Mobile, PC & Streaming). It's not just consoles.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

• China. 44.0B. 699.6M.
  • Japan. 19.1B. 73.4M.
  • Germany. 6.5B. 49.5M.
  • France. 4.1B. 38.8M.
  • Canada. 3.3B. 22.0M
UK is ahead of Germany.

Madjaba

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Woopah

just like wii and then look at the WiiU.
Quite similar yes

Xbox One bet on their previous generation's innovation. Wii U also bet on a new innovation (the tablet) that no one cared about.

They sold Xbox’s soul for a knock off gimmick. The disrespect to the fan base is just crazy.
It could have worked if they had kept Kimect as an optional extra and supported it with software, not betting everything on it.

Unknown?

We can say it did for the Xbox One. But Kinect gave 360 the best hardware sales in Xbox history.
Yeah but it lost them mind share from their core audience. Those best sells weren't from returning customers, it was from fickle Wii leftovers that had already abandoned the Wii by that time.

NickFire

I never thought about it this way, but you're right! They always seem to disrespect their fan base.
They nickel and dime the shit out of them too. Propriety hard drives on 360. Propriety SSD's on the Series line. They can claim convenience all they want with a straight face because these decisions did conveniently make storage way more expensive and profitable for them.

Top Bottom