• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 share in France vs Xbox reaches 93% vs 7%

Ronin_7

Banned
According to Julien Chieze, the gap is no longer 90-10% but 93-7% currently in favor of PS5.

Remember, Oscar Lemaire communicated less than a month ago a gap of 90-10% in favor of PS5.

2023 in France:
PS5 – 93%
XBS – 7%

2016 LTD in France:
PS4 - 1.06M - 77%
XBO - 0.31M - 23%
Source: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...-1-ps5-143-2-nsw-20-3-xbs-52.2147/post-210918

In the UK promotions apparently haven't done much for Xbox.

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ig...e-to-struggle-in-europe.787791/post-115349361

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
phil is on thin ice

phil-spencer-xbox.gif

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Whatever plan Phil had did not work. I wonder what's Microsoft's / Xbox's management thinking right now and what plans they will implement next.

Last edited:
93% vs 7%?

At what point is it even worth selling these things?

Most of Europe's sales are in December for Christmas...it's not even black friday.
How is it going to end next the year? 96/4?

Sony's strategy is great though. They want the most number of people with a PS5 until their studios start pumping out games by 2025. By then they will have a userbase of around 70/80M. Until then new users will have a huge catalog to play, plus the ones coming out in 2024 (Death Stranding 2, FFVII Rebirth, Silent Hill 2, Helldiver 2, TLOU2 Remastered, etc). Meanwhile Xbox is getting more and more irrelevant for 3rd party studios...

shaddam

I feel like my country is about the same. The only people who bought xbox this gen only bought it because ps5 was impossible to get.

TheMan

I honestly have no idea how they could rebound. You’d think gamepass would be their ace in the hole- it’s the kind of service many of us dreamed about for decades and yet it’s not enough.

I guess it comes down to those consistently good to fantastic ps5 exclusives. MS has failed pretty dismally in that department. Here’s hoping they turn things around

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Honest question for me is why? Why are the numbers so lopsided? Technically speaking the series x is a great piece of kit.

In some of the marquee games the Xbox has a slight advantage in image quality and frames.

COD and hogwarts are two of the biggest games which have sharper graphics and more stAble frame rates according to some reviews. They have the superior gamepass platform. Why is this thing tanking compared to ps5?

I have all consoles so I’m not a fanboy console warring, I’m just genuinely questions why it’s turning out this way?

Exclusives for sure make a difference but I can’t see a 90-10 split for that alone??

Maybe time for a 399 series x sale??

GHG

Honest question for me is why? Why are the numbers so lopsided? Technically speaking the series x is a great piece of kit.

In some of the marquee games the Xbox has a slight advantage in image quality and frames.

COD and hogwarts are two of the biggest games which have sharper graphics and more stAble frame rates according to some reviews. They have the superior gamepass platform. Why is this thing tanking compared to ps5?

I have all consoles so I’m not a fanboy console warring, I’m just genuinely questions why it’s turning out this way?

Exclusives for sure make a difference but I can’t see a 90-10 split for that alone??

Maybe time for a 399 series x sale??

All of the tings you listed are based on your personal preferences/needs, evidently most other people don't care about them and there are other platforms that they've found that suit their needs and preferences better.

Owning all platforms doesn't prevent you having a distorted/biased view towards things or from being a fanboy.

If you feel the need to preface your opinion with "I'm not a fanboy" then we likely aren't off to a very good start anyway.

But to answer your question on a deeper level, catering your product and it's marketing to local cultures is a thing, it's very important and it's something Xbox have never got to grips with very well anywhere that they operate outside of countries that are partial to an "Anglo/American" approach. It's actually something I didn't realise first hand until I moved away from the UK.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
What are we talking about here? Just over a million consoles total between them BOTH is maybe 1% of the gaming market, probably less. 1 million consoles is 2% of playstations market share. This is such a nothing story. Xbox outsold Playstation 4:1 in my household, make a thread on that cause my numbers are just as relevant. I don't like either console this gen, but come on, quit acting like these numbers mean anything. Nobody cares about France.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
What are we talking about here? Just over a million consoles total between them BOTH is maybe 1% of the gaming market, probably less. 1 million consoles is 2% of playstations market share. This is such a nothing story. Xbox outsold Playstation 4:1 in my household, make a thread on that cause my numbers are just as relevant. I don't like either console this gen, but come on, quit acting like these numbers mean anything. Nobody cares about France.
Talk about out of touch. How does a brand grow when it's 93:7, 89:11, etc? "Nobody cares about "x" region". Only problem with this? It's not that no one cares about those places – those places don't care about Xbox.

What's truly a nothing story? The 4:1 ratio of Xbox > PlayStation in your household.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Talk about out of touch. How does a brand grow when it's 93:7, 89:11, et? "Nobody cares about "x" region". Only problem with this? It's not that no one cares about those places – those places don't care about Xbox.

What's truly a nothing story? The 4:1 ratio of Xbox > PlayStation in your household.
It's better to have a little slice out of a big pie than a big slice out of a little pie. North America is where their bread is buttered. Tiny markets are not important unless you are fanning the flames of the console war.
You ask how does it grow? Well you tell me. If Xbox somehow sold another 700,000 units in France to make it 1:1 did that really change ANYTHING? Are they suddenly clawing back and changing minds? This is NOTHING. Xbox selling 1 million units in France wouldn't change a god damned thing.
Yes, Xbox is fucked. France doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
As a French man, I feel offended this is fucking hilarious hahaha.

But yeah, Xbox collapsed dramatically here. Xbox Vanilla was more than decent, 360 was huge, but since Kinect and Xbox One it all went downhill and as mentioned on another thread, it feels like they gave up. (That or they are very incompetent. Or maybe both who knows?)

Remember the Xboat stunt they pulled out for the ps3 launch? Hah! That was peak Xbox.

Toots

Gold Member
If i were phil i'd say he extreme rarity of xbox consoles on the french soil make them akin to diamonds.

Plus Julien Chièze is the absolute worse all his insider news are shit, he wanted to be the french geoff keighley but no one likes him so do what you will of his shitty infos.

Anyway xbox has a tremendous advantage over playstation on this gen : you can play skate backward compatible and it's still to this day the bests sports game ever. But on the other hand you cannot play the best xbox360 game ever : way of the samurai 3...

It's better to have a little slice out of a big pie than a big slice out of a little pie. North America is where there bread is buttered. Tiny markets are not important unless you are fanning the flames of the console war.
You ask how does it grow? Well you tell me. If Xbox somehow sold 700,000 units in France to make it 1:1 did that really change ANYTHING?

Xbox sales suck in every country known to men.....

WAKE UP!

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's better to have a little slice out of a big pie than a big slice out of a little pie. North America is where there bread is buttered. Tiny markets are not important unless you are fanning the flames of the console war.
You ask how does it grow? Well you tell me. If Xbox somehow sold and 700,000 units in France to make it 1:1 did that really change ANYTHING?
Sure, if you choose to continue buying property in LaLa Land. Xbox is being thrashed everywhere ...... INCLUDING North America. If it was all that mattered (which is complete bullshit), then we wouldn't have the industry we do today. Thankfully, that's not the case.

I'm honestly not sure what you are arguing, really.

Last edited:

Mung

Yep. The Japan celebrations were real exposure for some folks. Let's you know that "Microsoft doesn't care about hardware" only exists because they're being slaughtered. Bottom dollar? They'd have the biggest bullhorn known to man if they were beating PlayStation.
Yes like when the ceo was tweeting about US hardware sales two years ago. It suddenly mattered again for some reason. Now it's back to the new hot metrics for those with their finger on the pulse.. . Engagement, mau, revenue etc. Even subs are old news it seems now that they are far below expectations

Last edited:
Top Bottom