• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Classic Review Thread

stranno

It is likely that it runs an ARM processor given it uses PCSX-Rearmed. The question is what SoC it runs upon. It obviously is low end but is it NES/SNES Classic low end? (4x Cortex A7, Mali 400 MP2, 256 MB DDR3) or better/worse?
Read my post.

TLZ

Banned
I don't think the actual polygonal graphics are a problem, but I can see the resolution is.

Remember how the Wii looked on HDTV? It was indeed very ugly to look at. But when it was emulated in HD, it was a lot more passable.

PS1 games run at an even lower resolution (240p), so blowing it up on modern TV's is indeed going to look very bad.
I still play the Wii and it looks ok to me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Read my post.
If anyone is wondering..

The SOC is an MTK MT8167A + PowerVR GE8300. First quality chinese crap.

The memory is an eMMC Samsung KLMAG1JETD-B041 module of 16GB (given the linux core + emulator + PBP games that will make around 10GB free).

ftfy

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I dunno man, I feel like even homebrew doesn't have much of a chance of saving this. I guess it all comes down to what chip they're using, but this thing seems too underpowered to emulate the system properly. It'd be hilarious if someone hacks the system and is able to install Retroarch (or even a newer version of the open source emulator Sony used here) and gets the included games running better than stock on the same hardware. Seems like a stretch though.

Not much of a chance of quality being improved before release considering release is 6 days from now.
As Stranno happily shows, its actually a rather decent (and above all, modern) SoC. I can see why that would raise the costs, although.. it shouldn't be by that much.

Atleast the hardware side is interesting, i would say.
Read my post.
Holy shit totally overlooked this.

That is actually... quite decent. 4x Cortex A35 at 1.5 Ghz (Which is rather unique for such a box, but they may not be really powerful) and PowerVR GE8300 is similarly unique and.. modern, although the GPU architecture is less recent (PowerVR Rogue) Aswell as DDR4 support. It actually has more modern tech than the PSTV (Which was PowerVR SGX) and it its quite a bit more powerful than the NES/SNES Classic.

I think this also explains why the performance is so shitty: Quad Cortex A7 and (especially) Mali 400 MP2 are very standard in terms of hardware, having been around for years now. That + a dedicated emulator by Ninty gives the performance it has now.

Compare that to a relatively new CPU, a new GPU, and a open source emulator.

Any mentions of RAM size? I am looking through some teardowns but nothing yet. Is it DDR4 memory like the SoC supports?

Actually geniunely surprised by this tech. This might be interesting for homebrew, although PowerVR is far less supported in that scene though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah that's about as much as I expected from Sony who probably has not a single documentation on anything for PS1 which is why they resorted to the Open Source emulator
Which is insane considering how well PSP, Vita and PS3 handles PS1 games. This is so much worse than a 2004 PSP which is just crazy.

TLZ

Banned
As Stranno happily shows, its actually a rather decent (and above all, modern) SoC. I can see why that would raise the costs, although.. it shouldn't be by that much.

Atleast the hardware side is interesting, i would say.

Holy shit totally overlooked this.

That is actually... quite decent. 4x Cortex A35 at 1.5 Ghz (Which is rather unique for such a box, but they may not be really powerful) and PowerVR GE8300 is similarly unique and.. modern, although the GPU architecture is less recent (PowerVR Rogue) Aswell as DDR4 support. It actually has more modern tech than the PSTV (Which was PowerVR SGX) and it its quite a bit more powerful than the NES/SNES Classic.

I think this also explains why the performance is so shitty: Quad Cortex A7 and (especially) Mali 400 MP2 are very standard in terms of hardware, having been around for years now. That + a dedicated emulator by Ninty gives the performance it has now.

Compare that to a relatively new CPU, a new GPU, and a open source emulator.

Any mentions of RAM size? I am looking through some teardowns but nothing yet. Is it DDR4 memory like the SoC supports?

Actually geniunely surprised by this tech. This might be interesting for homebrew, although PowerVR is far less supported in that scene though.
So there's hope.

Blam

Which is insane considering how well PSP, Vita and PS3 handles PS1 games. This is so much worse than a 2004 PSP which is just crazy.
Yeah it's sorta jarring how idgaf Sony has become. So that means that sony seriously doesn't have any way of building a x86 emulator for the ps1.

Which I think most of their resources went into making it for custom architectures and os's instead of a Linux Base, but even then it can't be this hard.

stranno

playstationclassichardware1.jpg

playstationclassichardware2.jpg

playstationclassichardware3.jpg

playstationclassichardware5.jpg

This is unfortunate. Sony needs to get their act together. It seems like a completely different company than when PS4 was announced. Sony in 2018 seems like the Sony that announced the PS3 at $600.

How so?
There first party game output is still top notch. What is the PS4 missing? What are they not listening to people about? They just had a PS4 slim bundle with spiderman for 199 bucks and a great deal on PSVR. Thats a far cry from overvaluing their products.

Codes 208

Ew. Between quality and the curious lack of games I actually wanted (classic Spyro and crash) I think I’ll just wait for the n64 mini to enjoy fifth gen proper.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
How so?
There first party game output is still top notch. What is the PS4 missing? What are they not listening to people about? They just had a PS4 slim bundle with spiderman for 199 bucks and a great deal on PSVR. Thats a far cry from overvaluing their products.

Like with puddlegate and other controversies it sometimes kind of seems like the ol’ “repeat something over and over and people will believe it” kind of thing...

Like with puddlegate and other controversies it sometimes kind of seems like the ol’ “repeat something over and over and people will believe it” kind of thing...
The whole idea of the PS3 launch being a massive blunder is still weird. Microsoft launched the Xbox 360 with a 20GB hard drive, a basic DVD player, no HDMI, no WiFi and non-rechargeable controllers. They offered solutions to some of these problems, that were all about buying things individually. Including an HD DVD player(100), a WiFi adapter(100), plug and play chargers(30ish if I remember correctly) and some problems which required an upgraded “elite” console ie larger hard drive and HDMI.
When you break it down the PS3 wasn’t some crazy overpriced smack in the face. They just underestimated the precepition that price tag for an all in one package would carry.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

So there's hope.
Well, hope in the sense that it is interesting from a homebrew POV. I mean, this thing does seem to support Vulkan and OpenGLES 3.x, so some next-gen shader stuff can be done. Given the size constraints and the fact GE8300 is optimized for efficiency, there will be ofcourse limitations.

Yeah that's what i found aswell. Didn't get much on the RAM chips other than that it is from Samsung, possibly 512 MB.

TLZ

Banned
Well, hope in the sense that it is interesting from a homebrew POV. I mean, this thing does seem to support Vulkan and OpenGLES 3.x, so some next-gen shader stuff can be done. Given the size constraints and the fact GE8300 is optimized for efficiency, there will be ofcourse limitations.
Good enough for me ;)

Redneckerz

Good enough for me ;)
And then we have to factor in that these are new CPU's/GPU's, it isn't the more common Cortex A7 or Mali 400 stuff which is rather well documented. That is why NES/SNES Classic got up so quickly - The tech involved there is a commodity.

This? not so much. So any homebrew would need more research than one may think, especially in the GPU department. On the other hand, this could give way to more focus on opensource PowerVR/reverse engineering of it. As long as it is within legal limits, ofcourse.

TLZ

Banned
And then we have to factor in that these are new CPU's/GPU's, it isn't the more common Cortex A7 or Mali 400 stuff which is rather well documented. That is why NES/SNES Classic got up so quickly - The tech involved there is a commodity.

This? not so much. So any homebrew would need more research than one may think, especially in the GPU department. On the other hand, this could give way to more focus on opensource PowerVR/reverse engineering of it. As long as it is within legal limits, ofcourse.
I'm also hoping all that means more can be squeezed out of it later.

The chunkier specs make this an interesting proposition if the hackers have their way and port across some optimized emulators but the lack of analogs is a bit of a beyotch.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am not one to cancel my preorders but holy shit D dark10x that sounds terrible, the only reason I’m not canceling is the remote hope that people will crack this wide open and replace every bit of code on it with something decent. That should be feasible as the tech specs seem solid enough. And given the effort they put into this thing, I suspect this won’t be hard to crack.

The stock software on this thing is crap. And for $100 you can get much nicer spec'd usb/microcomputer hardware with far greater compatibility to throw into any shell you like. You can buy mini console shells for a few bucks on alibaba. Sony, like Sega with its mini attempts, fucked up. Turns out it takes real effort to do this right. Some of the games run in 50hz PAL mode. What were they thinking?

Last edited:
I was interested in getting one to throw 20-30 of my favorite PS1 games on it, but now it's DOA to me if they couldn't even throw a powerful enough chip on it to properly emulate it.

I'm willing to spend money to purchase games legitimately, like the $150 some-odd dollars I spent on PS1 games last gen that Sony can't be bothered to spend a hand full of man-hours to bring to the PS4. I don't have any moral qualms about pirating software that is not currently for sale directly.

Edit - aparently the hardware is decent, but the software is shit. We'll see after a few months of being in the hands of the homebrewers.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

This is unfortunate. Sony needs to get their act together. It seems like a completely different company than when PS4 was announced. Sony in 2018 seems like the Sony that announced the PS3 at $600.

Naw, they were still an engineering and hardware company in 2006.

How so?

Ps4 gen was architected by people no longer working there and in a different country.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
This is not for me but if you never played FF7 before this package deal is not a bad way to get it.

Ew. Between quality and the curious lack of games I actually wanted (classic Spyro and crash) I think I’ll just wait for the n64 mini to enjoy fifth gen proper.

Pretty sure Reggie said in an interview recently that the minis were more of a thing to fill between WiiU and Switch and that there were no plans for N64 mini and all effort would be going into Nintendo online. Then again, it is exec talk, so you can probably expect one to be announced next week!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Naw, they were still an engineering and hardware company in 2006.

Ps4 gen was architected by people no longer working there and in a different country.

What? This is doom and gloom of the finest brand ;). Some people changed (most of those people were there for PS3 launch too btw) and others are still there. The architect is likely still the same and the main HW and OS R&D centres are still in Japan... although having more of the OS tooling made in collaboration with their WWS teams may be good too ;).

nkarafo

Seems like we will never get rid of the 50hz plague, no matter how many years have passed since it was obsolete.

MilkyJoe

The biggest kick in the nadgers with these things is the price for only 20 games, most of which you probably don't want to play again.

JimboJones

I suppose in a way it makes sense this is a bit crap overall. The Nintendo classics where a crutch Nintendo desperately needed at the time to help smooth over the WiiU to Switch period and have something for the holidays so aswell as having access to their own library they actually had a need for the the microconsoles to do well.
Sony don't really need this, the PS4 is selling better than ever, it's just a cash grab and made even harder that the PSX was more known for its third party offerings so that lack of effort is just amplified. Such a shame.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Sometimes, not even rose colored glasses can save something from looking shitty. And 20 games for a hundred bucks was insulting to begin with. Completely mishandled by Sony.

Shmunter

Really? An enthusiast product conceived by an ignoramus. What a disconnect between purpose and production. The competency of the decision makers here needs to be questioned.

Feeling a little bit of unease on the future of PS5 if this was allowed to happen. Yikes.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Cerny left? I completely missed that.

No clue, but he was never part of management or decider of corporate strategy, just head hardware guy.

And while ps4 was a ‘good enough’ piece of kit, it only succeeded as much as it has because it launched against the kinected X1 and wiiu—possibly the two least competitive consoles ever designed with some of the worst software support. It wasn’t some genius device, just a pc with the money spent in the right areas.

What? This is doom and gloom of the finest brand ;). Some people changed (most of those people were there for PS3 launch too btw) and others are still there. The architect is likely still the same and the main HW and OS R&D centres are still in Japan... although having more of the OS tooling made in collaboration with their WWS teams may be good too ;).

The capitalization of SIE Japan is 110 million Yen according to their corporate website, which is around 1 million USD. There is no way a company that is size is doing much of anything. Most everything is being done in and around San Francisco.

& It isn’t gloom and doom in terms of them going out of business or anything like that. I am looking at it as a fan and weeb. I find their big games dull, their non-VR hardware lackluster or downright bad (ps classic), their communication either American PR or non existant, and well...it is just hard to be enthusiastic about them, shrug.

If you like their big 10-20 hour arpg interactive experiences made for American tastes, their good-enough hardware, and dont mind their rickety backend and disregard for for customer service, the keep on being happy. I dont, so i am not.

I prefer the old Japanese focused, hardware fetish Sony with their weird ads and unpredictable games. Ive got too much ‘concieved and designed in San Francisco’ cynical American shit in my life already.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I've run this through our frame-rate analyzer and it's worse than you could ever imagine. No review until maybe this weekend, though, at best. Waiting on my unit (received footage from elsewhere).
On a scale of 1 -10. How bad is it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
On a scale of 1 -10. How bad is it?
It's looking like a 3/10

...and only because it seems that the NTSC-U 60fps games are fine. It might be worse than that, though. Either way, I would suggest staying away.

How was this messed up so badly? It should have been a home run. A very disappointing state of affair and seems especially overpriced now that the hands on are coming in. The mixture of PAL/NTSC games is also baffling, complete with PAL slowdown.

Your opinion would be in the minority given the tremendous legacy the OG console gave to the industry. Longevity is another one: To this very day my 1997 machine still works flawlessly.

That, and the 90s were a wholly different time where low framerates were far more accepted, especially with the rise of accelerated graphics. CD players also maxed out at 4x at the time, which i think the smaller PSOne did solve later on.

As such i feel your critique (Although let's be honest, what was your intent with making that comment?) lacks historical details.

60 fps has been the staple of video games since the Atari 2600 as far as I can remember; anybody claiming that it was not the standard doesn't know history. If we're talking about polygon-based games, Daytona USA, Virtual On and all the classic AM2 arcade games ran at 60 fps and that was before the PS1 came along. I hang out in the arcades in the 90's so having to play the OG PS1 with low frame rates and long loading times came as a shock to me. In that era, I chose to play 2D games instead as 2D was the only thing that ran flawlessly on home consoles, especially when the 1M RAM Cart was utilized on the Saturn which virtually eliminated the loading times (no amount of 4x speed can mitigate the fact that the PS1 had limited RAM which means that data would have to be loaded from the CD again and again).

My point is that Sony should re-introduce the PS1 that can run the games as they were originally presented.

Virex

Banned
It's looking like a 3/10

...and only because it seems that the NTSC-U 60fps games are fine. It might be worse than that, though. Either way, I would suggest staying away.
Thanks! I cancelled my pre-order as well. Looking forward to seeing the DF video. Can't believe Sony could mess up so badly.

Breakage

Yes, it was fun at the time, had the PC version of it. If I want to wreck cars today, that's what Wreckfest is for.
That's the thing: in a world where Wreckfest exists, I don't understand why anyone would be eager to play the PlayStation version of DD. It looks crude and ugly. It's not like,say, Super Mario Kart on the SNES where the visuals and sounds still have the power to charm.

Top Bottom