• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal |OT| From WC with Love

Topher

Gold Member
After 4 days of having it :

Yeah, that 59.74Hz/fps stutter is bad - it's like games don't run at 60fps and instead feel like they're going from 60 to 30 and 60fps continuously, this has already been discussed on Reddit a hundred times and one user found that the culprit here is the 59.74Hz video signal that the PS5 sends to the portal (or any other RP clients) that have a 60Hz only screen (again, like the portal).
Games have this...look like they're constantly dropping frames.

This can be replicated on a phone or tablet : if you put the display refresh of your device at 60Hz and initiate RP, games exhibit said problem, put it at above 60Hz (90,120) and - BAM - stutter/frame drops immediately disappear.

I thought I was going mad the 1st day I got my portal since RP has been running FLAWLESSLY on my Tab S9+ which has a 120Hz display.

Here's the thing though : is this thing/problem even patchable on Sony's part or are we fucked ? I hope to God that Soony won't release a hardware upgrade (i.e, better, higher refresh screen) just for this...

I'd take it back just for this (plus, the super-low audio levels with a wired headset/headphones) but, A) I don't know what my excuse for.doing so would be, I can already imagine the usual BS discussion about the whole "it's your internet" thing and I'm tired just by thinking of it and B) I have already ordered a Grip case, screen protectors, a carrying case and thumbgrips from Amazon and Temu respectively...

Man, fuck this shit, for all the nice things Sony does, it can be incredibly inadequate for many others - HOW THE FOOK didn't they catch this thing/problem during QA ? Surely they noticed it ? Even worse, they knew it and STILL decided to release it as is.
If it's fixable, how the fook didn't they release a FW update about it ? It's been 4 months since release FFS !

I don't know what to do, it's a really, REALLY nice and usable pick up and play device but this fooking framerate/stutter thing is doing my head in.

I started noticing the stutter as well after I used my Steam Deck for bluetooth and saw how smooth it was in comparison. I cannot imagine this will not be fixed at some point, but Sony is so incredibly slow with these things. I figure I'm going to wait for their follow up model (if it has bluetooth enabled). It is a shame because it really is a nice device.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I started noticing the stutter as well after I used my Steam Deck for bluetooth and saw how smooth it was in comparison. I cannot imagine this will not be fixed at some point, but Sony is so incredibly slow with these things. I figure I'm going to wait for their follow up model (if it has bluetooth enabled). It is a shame because it really is a nice device.

Here's the thing though, is this even patchable man ? What if it's directly and solely tied to the portal's display ? (meaning, it's a hardware thing).

Also, what's the Deck's refresh rate ?

Fucking Hell, Sony can get incredibly incompetent some.times, they had ONE job to do here and yet...
Release a specific device JUST for RP = RP is actually worse than 90% of devices out there, you can't make this shit up...

PS: Forgot how dreadful Reddit can be, this is a well documented problem with the proverbial "receipts" available and yet, there's people down voting each and every post when it comes to this problem, these are the same people that in 1 post say "lol it's just your internet" and on another " I can't differentiate between 30 and 60 either way" 😁🤣, fucking fanboys man...

Last edited:

Interfectum

It's pretty sad I have more control over my PS5 using a fan made streaming app on Steam Deck vs the Portal.

Love the form factor of the Portal though. So much potential there.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Here's the thing though, is this even patchable man ? What if it's directly and solely tied to the portal's display ? (meaning, it's a hardware thing).

Fucking Hell, Sony can get incredibly incompetent some.times, they had ONE job to do here and yet...
Release a specific device JUST for RP = RP is actually worse than 90% of devices out there, you can't make this shit up...

PS: Forgot how dreadful Reddit can be, this is a well documented problem with the proverbial "receipts" available and yet, there's people down voting each and every post when it comes to this problem, these are the same people that in 1 post say "lol it's just your internet" and on another " I can't differentiate between 30 and 60 either way" 😁🤣, fucking fanboys man...
Take it back since you just got it. Use your post as the reason. Tell them it's defective and doesn't sync frames correct.

I don't have the eye for what your experiencing. Yes I've read that reddit thread top to bottom. My experience feels smooth. In your case though once you know it's there, it's there. Take it back I would.

Topher

Gold Member

If it is hardwired like that then Sony really screwed up. Just bizarre.

Steam Deck OLED refresh rate is 90hz up from 60 hz on the LCD.

It's pretty sad I have more control over my PS5 using a fan made streaming app on Steam Deck vs the Portal.

Love the form factor of the Portal though. So much potential there.

Yeah.....I really hate sending it back. I'm hoping the release a newer version at some point with fixes for the issues and an OLED screen. Either that or full-fledged handheld PS.

thatJohann

I still haven't seen a single Portal in stock at any Best Buy or Target stores in NYC or even in any apps. Wild. Out of morbid curiosity I just want to see it in stock somewhere but always sold out.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Question for those that have it :

How's the volume level for you when using earbuds/headphones ? i find it to be EXTREMELY low, half as loud i'd say when compared to having them plugged in to the Dualsense.

PS : After yesterday's update...it feels like things have actually gotten worse, i feel like the stutter is even worse than before...
- AC valhalla (performance mode) : turn the camera around = stutter fest.
- Nioh 2 = almost constant stutter when moving the camera
- Stellar blade demo = this doesn't stutter as much but it feels like it's constantly dropping frames depending on the action

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Man, this OT is more dead than an ancient Sumerian graveyard, why are you doing this to me boiz, i've only the (idiotic) subreddit left to discuss about this gadget :messenger_beaming:

Anyway :

The placebo is real, users over at reddit are all like "ZOMG TEH 2.06 UPDATE FIXED THINGS !!!111!", meanwhile, the infamous 59.94 stutter (which feels like games are dropping frames/like going from 60-30 and 60fps back again, or, like they're running with an unlocked framerate) is even worse now for me.

Games i tested :
- Resident evil 4 Remake : Playing the Mercenaries and there's this CONSTANT 2-3 sec stutter every 10 seconds, game doesn't feel 60 fps at all.
- Nioh 2 : Every time you move the camera it's stutter-city, it was bad before and it feels even worse now after the 2.06 update.
- Stellar blade demo : Game drops even more frames compared to before when doing the boss-rush mode.
- Skul the hero slayer : side-scrolling game, stutter/frame drops when moving around.

Again, this is purely a portal thing due to its 60Hz screen and the PS5's 59.94Hz output signal - when gaming on my OP Nord (2020 phone, 90Hz screen), Tab S9+ (120Hz screen) and Laptop (165Hz screen) Remote play is G'damn FLAWLESS with silky-smooth 60fps gameplay (same thing on my GF's iPad from 2017).
How the fuck hasn't Sony be able to fix this after 5 months since release is beyond me, shit, this thing had 1 thing and 1 thing to do only and...this is the best it can do ? Seriously Sony ?

Unfortunately, all the "fans" and apologists on reddit which can't distinguish between 30 Vs 60fps and don't know how to split 2.4 and 5GHz bands on their routers are all like "lol you people are imagining things, it's perfect for me" and "trust me bro, i got a professional router" (lol) - there's absolutely no discussion that can be had in there (i mean, it is Reddit after all).

Meanwhile this one guy has all the receipts when it comes to this very problem and yet, "trust me" bros keep denying it - i can understand that not everyone is susceptible to stutter but G'damn, you have to be kind of blind as to not see this ffs.

We all know Soony®, i mean, what, it only took them 1+ years to include VRR on the PS5 ? Thing is, the complete radio silence is truly baffling, make an announcement ffs regarding the problem and people will calm down, it's like they're shooting themselves in the foot the way they're handling this - how many users returned their Portal because of this ? I'm getting STRONG XH900 vibes here and i don't like it - and we all know what happened in that case, months upon months of radio silence, 1-2 update releases which claimed to fix shit (they didn't) aaaaand...good ol' Sony only managed to fix the problems by - wait for it - including a 2nd co-processing chip in their later TV's, basically, it was a hardware issue but they played dumb.

People say that 2.06 improved the quality (most likely placebo since there's no evidence) but there's more important things to fix like low audio levels when using earbuds/headphones, a battery icon that actually shows a percentage instead of just 3 bars and obviously, the Hz mis-match/stutter.

Again, it's been 5 months, really hope it doesn't take another 5 as to fix some BASIC things.

I'd return it to Gamestop but...their return policy is so tiring that i don't have the time for this shit.

Cheers and sorry for the long post

Last edited:

Mahavastu

- Even with 60fps games, it looks like...the screen can't keep up (?) in that the games look like they're running at 45-50fps or something and not 60 something which I didn't notice on my tablet.
Not sure if we are talking about the same, but I also had stuttering on my device. This kind of stuttering got WAY better when I did "System -> System Software -> Reset Options"
Sounds stupid I know, but for me it was much better after I did that.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Not sure if we are talking about the same, but I also had stuttering on my device. This kind of stuttering got WAY better when I did "System -> System Software -> Reset Options"
Sounds stupid I know, but for me it was much better after I did that.
Hey Maha, thanks for the input.
Yes, i've reset my portal a couple of times already to no avail.

The 2.06 update, IMO, has also made things worse

thanks

FrankWza

Man, this OT is more dead than an ancient Sumerian graveyard, why are you doing this to me boiz, i've only the (idiotic) subreddit left to discuss about this gadget :messenger_beaming:
Yes all of the portal and pulse threads should be combined.

There are also some settings in the PS5 remote play app that you could try

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yes all of the portal and pulse threads should be combined.

There are also some settings in the PS5 remote play app that you could try

Hey Frank, tried every possible PS5 and portal option combination fix but the problem persists - again, the micro stutter which feels like games are basically running at an unlocked framerate/have frame drops going from 60 for a few seconds to 30 and then back to 60 again are purely a PS portal thing due to the 59.94Hz video output of the PS5 on the portal's 60Hz screen.
On RP clients like PsPlay and Chiaki, there's a frame-pacing option ("no dropped frames") which alleviates said problem on 60Hz screens.

Again, using Sony's own RP software, RP runs flawlessly at 60Hz/fps on my phone, PC and Tablet, it's only the portal that exhibits such behavior.

Cheers

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I cancelled this in the end before delivery - it just works too well on the Steam Deck. I'm considering an upgrade to the Steam Deck OLED instead. I have played more PS5 games on the Steam Deck now than I ever did on the console itself. Finished FFVII Remake entirely on there (plus the DLC) and have now moved on to God of War 2018 before starting Rebirth. Awesome experience. I just couldn't be bothered dealing with the lack of bluetooth - just pick up my AirPods and they connect to the Steam Deck automagically...

Do get the oled steam deck, totally worth it, huge screen upgrade and chaiki runs flawlessly.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
OK, used it for about an hour and :

Well-made device, the screen, for an LCD is also pretty good, my home network is good so I don't have problems with latency etc, the only thing I noticed is, upon setting it up, graphics/stream was blurry for about 1 minute after which it settled in.

Now, for the bad :
- Lack of wi-fi 6 is mind boggling for a late 2023 device, for example , with my tablet, I can go to my living room and still play well with no latency while.with the portal...I lose 1 connection bar and while the stream is still good visually, there's definitely more latency, then again, my tab is a 1000 Eurodollars one while this is a budget device.

- Audio : speakers are shit.and max volume is too low, I kept hearing of how loud this thing but my experience is completely different.
Same thing with wired headphones, volume is WAY too low, tried with some JBL in-ear ones AND with my Hyper X Alphas with the same results.
Took a look online and most reddit posts I saw mention the same thing - hope it gets fixed with a FW update 'cause yeah, this is really bad.

- Had some (audio) crackling noises while sitting on the main PS5 menu, nothing too bad but I got worried for a second.

- Even with 60fps games, it looks like...the screen can't keep up (?) in that the games look like they're running at 45-50fps or something and not 60 something which I didn't notice on my tablet.
Don't know if it's due to the wi-fi 5 but...

Having said all this, it's still the preferable way to play/stream.your PS games hands down, PS5 in rest mode, press the power on button on the portal, BAM, you're good to go, no joypad sync (and then having to resync it back to the PS5 ), no awkward position when trying to game, noy worrying about the tablet's/phone battery, no...
It's plug and play as they come, hope for a couple of FW patches/updates and this thing will get even better.

Cheers

I put the portal and the oled steam deck head to head, there's definately a lot more inherent motion blur on.the portal. Hoping they eventually update the portal with an oled screen.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I put the portal and the oled steam deck head to head, there's definately a lot more inherent motion blur on.the portal. Hoping they eventually update the portal with an oled screen.
Hey Duck 😉

That's to be expected brother since the portal has an LCD while the Deck an OLED - I'm assuming we're talking about the OLED SKU since the original's LCD one is even worse than the portal's from what I've read...

Anyway, the worst thing about this is - again - the 60-30-60fps stutters - something which doesn't affect devices with a >60Hz refresh rate screen.

Fookin' Sony man, this thing had 1 thing and 1 thing to do only, hope it gets patched but after 5 months since its release I'm not holding my breath...

DrFigs

It's almost perfect. i find that the sticks are a little too small. but i have not had any problems w/ streaming. Although i actually have not tried using it outside my house - i doubt that i would though.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Anyway :

The placebo is real, users over at reddit are all like "ZOMG TEH 2.06 UPDATE FIXED THINGS !!!111!", meanwhile, the infamous 59.94 stutter (which feels like games are dropping frames/like going from 60-30 and 60fps back again, or, like they're running with an unlocked framerate) is even worse now for me.

Games i tested :
- Resident evil 4 Remake : Playing the Mercenaries and there's this CONSTANT 2-3 sec stutter every 10 seconds, game doesn't feel 60 fps at all.
- Nioh 2 : Every time you move the camera it's stutter-city, it was bad before and it feels even worse now after the 2.06 update.
- Stellar blade demo : Game drops even more frames compared to before when doing the boss-rush mode.
- Skul the hero slayer : side-scrolling game, stutter/frame drops when moving around.

Again, this is purely a portal thing due to its 60Hz screen and the PS5's 59.94Hz output signal - when gaming on my OP Nord (2020 phone, 90Hz screen), Tab S9+ (120Hz screen) and Laptop (165Hz screen) Remote play is G'damn FLAWLESS with silky-smooth 60fps gameplay (same thing on my GF's iPad from 2017).
How the fuck hasn't Sony be able to fix this after 5 months since release is beyond me, shit, this thing had 1 thing and 1 thing to do only and...this is the best it can do ? Seriously Sony ?

Unfortunately, all the "fans" and apologists on reddit which can't distinguish between 30 Vs 60fps and don't know how to split 2.4 and 5GHz bands on their routers are all like "lol you people are imagining things, it's perfect for me" and "trust me bro, i got a professional router" (lol) - there's absolutely no discussion that can be had in there (i mean, it is Reddit after all).

Meanwhile this one guy has all the receipts when it comes to this very problem and yet, "trust me" bros keep denying it - i can understand that not everyone is susceptible to stutter but G'damn, you have to be kind of blind as to not see this ffs.

We all know Soony®, i mean, what, it only took them 1+ years to include VRR on the PS5 ? Thing is, the complete radio silence is truly baffling, make an announcement ffs regarding the problem and people will calm down, it's like they're shooting themselves in the foot the way they're handling this - how many users returned their Portal because of this ? I'm getting STRONG XH900 vibes here and i don't like it - and we all know what happened in that case, months upon months of radio silence, 1-2 update releases which claimed to fix shit (they didn't) aaaaand...good ol' Sony only managed to fix the problems by - wait for it - including a 2nd co-processing chip in their later TV's, basically, it was a hardware issue but they played dumb.

People say that 2.06 improved the quality (most likely placebo since there's no evidence) but there's more important things to fix like low audio levels when using earbuds/headphones, a battery icon that actually shows a percentage instead of just 3 bars and obviously, the Hz mis-match/stutter.

Again, it's been 5 months, really hope it doesn't take another 5 as to fix some BASIC things.

I'd return it to Gamestop but...their return policy is so tiring that i don't have the time for this shit.

Cheers and sorry for the long post
All I can say is that 99% of my gametime I'm playing on Portal.
Maybe I do somewhat notice the "issue" you're having and I've gotten used to it, but imo it's pretty much perfect irt streaming.
Especially since I got gigabit internet and a new modem with wifi6.

But I can see how it can be an issue if you really notice it and it's an annoyance to you.

Edit:

Other than that, there is little to discuss, imo. It's just a Dualsense/Screen combo.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Yeah its really not much to talk about. just:

"wow these things are hard to get"
"finally got mine"
"it works" and/or "i'm returning it"

It's almost perfect. i find that the sticks are a little too small. but i have not had any problems w/ streaming. Although i actually have not tried using it outside my house - i doubt that i would though.
I believe there are kontrolfreeks for the portal, or some other brand. So you can apply your own viagra to the short stick.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah its really not much to talk about. just:

"wow these things are hard to get"
"finally got mine"
"it works" and/or "i'm returning it"

I find myself playing games specifically because the game just feels better on a mobile device. I'm playing HiFi Rush on it now and it's so good. But I wouldn't have bought or played it had I not had a PS Portal.

I find myself playing games specifically because the game just feels better on a mobile device. I'm playing HiFi Rush on it now and it's so good. But I wouldn't have bought or played it had I not had a PS Portal.
I'm starting to like using the Portal more than sitting at my couch with my TV.
It also led to me ordering a Steam Deck cause I can't stand sitting at my PC to play games.
So PC gaming to me is going to be about 100% handheld gaming.

mckmas8808

It also led to me ordering a Steam Deck cause I can't stand sitting at my PC to play games.

Been playing ffvii rebirth exclusively on my Portal. Just not been feelin it to sit and game on a big screen. Love this device

These actions that we are doing with the PS Portal and Steam Deck has to mean something. Not to get too much into yall's personal life, but are either one of you over the age 35 or have kids? Because I'm 40 with a kid an I don't know what I'd do gaming-wise if I didn't have the Portal.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
For the past couple of weeks all of my PS gaming has been on the Portal. I had been using Chiaki, which is really good, but aside from a game here or there where I feel the stutter I prefer the Portal. I recently started using XBPlay on Deck for remote play on my Xbox and it's a pretty good experience, too.

These actions that we are doing with the PS Portal and Steam Deck has to mean something. Not to get too much into yall's personal life, but are either one of you over the age 35 or have kids? Because I'm 40 with a kid an I don't know what I'd do gaming-wise if I didn't have the Portal.
I'm slightly over 40 with a toddler, but that hasn't really been the reason like I thought it would be. I still have to wait until he's asleep to use it.
I think I mainly just like having the screen close to my face and everything is easy to see, ha! My sight is still fine, but it seems like a lot of these games are filling screens with words, UIs are wordy as hell, etc.
I make the text as large as I can in the game, but still feel like I should be sitting closer or use the magnify feature every now and then.
But I also hate sitting close to a monitor with PC fans kicking up right beside my head. So handhelds seem to be the solution for me.

For the past couple of weeks all of my PS gaming has been on the Portal. I had been using Chiaki, which is really good, but aside from a game here or there where I feel the stutter I prefer the Portal. I recently started using XBPlay on Deck for remote play on my Xbox and it's a pretty good experience, too.
Yea, I love the dualsense features so I know the other ways to play PS5 games wouldn't be for me.
I'll need to look into XBPlay. I don't have many games on my Series S, but probably would be better to stream them to the Deck.

30 single no kids. Im pretty much outside of what I would expect the typical usecase would be but I still extract all the value I can from this ol thing

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Poor? LOL! Yeah right. It's good, not perfect. Far from poor.

Don't know brother, even on a "perfect" home network, the stutter problem is still there since it's a software/hardware problem.

Not 1 game feels 60fps because of it and instead, it feels like games have CONSTANT frame drops - I wouldn't categorize this as "good but not perfect", for me personally it's literally bad.

Anyway : called the shop which i got it from (Gamestop), they told me to contact their customer service, i wrote 4-5 paragraphs describing the issue backed up by the proverbial "receipts" (the Reddit thread about the 59.94Hz stutter along with some articles) and...they didn't give a shit,or, to be more precise, it's like they didn't even read the whole thing.They told me that i should take it up to Sony (?) - yeah, 'cause they're the ones that are going to give my money back, amirite ?

Fucking hell, don't know what to do now since i'm apparently stuck with it and to be honest, i don't think the stutter is ever gonna get fixed - if they could fix it easily via FW update they'd already done so, i mean, it's been 5 months since this thing released...

Again, EVERY friggin' device i have in my household streams remote play FLAWLESSLY at 60fps, it's just the G'damn Portal that has these stutters.

Christ on a bike, they had 1 thing and 1 thing only to do with this device and yet, here we are...

PS : from now on, i'm gonna get all my electronic toys from Amazon, at least you can return them hassle-free no questions asked

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Don't know brother, even on a "perfect" home network, the stutter problem is still there since it's a software/hardware problem.

Not 1 game feels 60fps because of it and instead, it feels like games have CONSTANT frame drops - I wouldn't categorize this as "good but not perfect", for me personally it's literally bad.

Anyway : called the shop which i got it from (Gamestop), they told me to contact their customer service, i wrote 4-5 paragraphs describing the issue backed up by the proverbial "receipts" (the Reddit thread about the 59.94Hz stutter along with some articles) and...they didn't give a shit,or, to be more precise, it's like they didn't even read the whole thing.They told me that i should take it up to Sony (?) - yeah, 'cause they're the ones that are going to give my money back, amirite ?

Fucking hell, don't know what to do now since i'm apparently stuck with it and to be honest, i don't think the stutter is ever gonna get fixed - if they could fix it easily via FW update they'd already done so, i mean, it's been 5 months since this thing released...

Again, EVERY friggin' device i have in my household streams remote play FLAWLESSLY at 60fps, it's just the G'damn Portal that has these stutters.

Christ on a bike, they had 1 thing and 1 thing only to do with this device and yet, here we are...

PS : from now on, i'm gonna get all my electronic toys from Amazon, at least you can return them hassle-free no questions asked

I've noticed the stutter issues from time to time. My point is, the streaming is not "poor". That's a lot of space between poor and perfect.

Gamerguy84

You definitely over thought the gamestop return in regards to the reddit thread, probably confused them.

Another option is to sell it. They are still selling out loke hot cakes so it would probably go full retail, just eat the tax for it being open box. Do a factory reset and voila.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
You definitely over thought the gamestop return in regards to the reddit thread, probably confused them.

Another option is to sell it. They are still selling out loke hot cakes so it would probably go full retail, just eat the tax for it being open box. Do a factory reset and voila.

What do you mean Gamer ? Called the shop i got it from and they told me to contact CS, nothing more i could do (?).
As for selling it...well, let's just say that where i am right now people aren't technically proficient or, don't know what gadgets are besides the usual Apple wankery :D

Cheers

Gamerguy84

What do you mean Gamer ? Called the shop i got it from and they told me to contact CS, nothing more i could do (?).
As for selling it...well, let's just say that where i am right now people aren't technically proficient or, don't know what gadgets are besides the usual Apple wankery :D

Cheers
I was laughing at trying to get a gamestop employee to understand a technical problem. I could see them getting confused. No offense to anyone who might be employed by them but they aren't the brightest bunch.

Top Bottom