• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming]: Playstation Portal to be Tracked as a Console per Sony's Request

ChiefDada

Gold Member

According to Piscatella, the request was made by Sony themselves and although the tweet is now deleted, a Resetera user managed to snag a screenshot.

ySNmSqs.jpg

It’s currently unclear if the now-deleted tweet is due to misinformation, or if Piscatella wasn’t allowed to reveal the information.

Officially, the $199.99 handheld by PlayStation is described as, ” the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi, so you’ll be able to swiftly jump from playing on your PS5 to your PlayStation Portal.”

Very weird.

Well Spain already had units sold in the hardware section.
People keep describing this thing like you have to be inside your house.
This misinformation is tricking even people keeping up with gaming news, let alone the general public.

vivftp

It's not especially weird. Sony are looking into adding cloud streaming support for the Portal. While that means it won't have any dedicated games built for it like a normal console or even a platform/accessory like PSVR2, that would mean it would be a standalone device that people can buy and access games without the need for purchasing a PS5. It'd exist in some sort of hybrid category where it's an accessory and a standalone device.

We know that things like PSVR2 are being tracked, so looks like Sony wants to lump the Portal into a similar hybrid category

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

But someone kept saying its just a screen accessory....what is it?

I guess cloud streaming is coming without the ps5? Pretty neat
It literally is a screen accessory.

Most likely they just want it to be reported as hardware to show everybody even Portal is outselling Series S and X combined.

PR-wise, it's genius.
It gets people talking, while at the same time showing how irrelevant Xbox has become, despite MS acquiring Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard.

Last edited:

Crayon

... what even is this? Companies do not not operate like drooling console warriors.

We"ve all lived with 7 years of starting off a generation with a price and performance (and messaging) disadvantage to PS4 with Xbox One. I have to admit this morning when I woke up knowing the PS5 reveal was today that the stress level was higher than normal.

- Shigeru Miyamoto

baphomet

Well Spain already had units sold in the hardware section.
People keep describing this thing like you have to be inside your house.
This misinformation is tricking even people keeping up with gaming news, let alone the general public.

For it to be even somewhat playable in any real sense, yes, you have to be on the same network as the console.

Codes 208

It's a hardware platform that only plays console games...and by definition, a computerized device that displays and plays video games, it's a console.
Not natively though, its streams the games from a source console to act strictly as a secondary screen.

Its textbook example of a peripheral-based accessory. Otherwise the wii u gamepad should also be considered a console

Mr.Phoenix

Have a feeling that if it continues to sell well Sony will put cloud streaming on it.
I Believe cloud streaming was always what it was made for. And if this story is true, would explain why Sony insists on it being called its own platform.

I expect we soon see some sort of cloud streaming PS+ addition to one of the tiers, and with the PSP, you won't even need a PS5. At least for games that are in the stream library.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Interesting manufacturers can make requests that actually get honoured by circana/npd.

Wonder what things MS requested circana/npd to do.

steve-harvey-im-just-saying.gif

Indeed. I assume Sony would have needed to provide solid reasoning for Circana to go along with this. Reasoning that is not yet ready to be released to the public, hence the deleted tweet.

nial

Gold Member
Fake Fake Then change "let" to "ask". The purpose is the same.
I can't reply to that post of yours for whatever reason, huh.

Gojiira

Why is this a surprise?
If this does well then it signals that all digital may indeed be truly viable for next gen, or even a hybrid console like the Switch, who knows.

I guess it is their way trying to sell their stakeholders that they are also in a handheld market.

Though interesting that PSVR2 sales were not tracked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom