• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal reviews

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
My main PS5 is in Florida that my portal is connected to and brought it along with me back to Indiana to show my nephews at a birthday party last night and NBA and MLB The Show worked very well and they actually did ok in COD

Granted have very strong internet at both places with 3 gig fiber at one house and 1 gig fiber at the other
And with that device, can I turn on the PS5 remotely, or should it only be in sleep mode?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My main PS5 is in Florida that my portal is connected to and brought it along with me back to Indiana to show my nephews at a birthday party last night and NBA and MLB The Show worked very well and they actually did ok in COD

Granted have very strong internet at both places with 3 gig fiber at one house and 1 gig fiber at the other
good to hear.

What I want to know is, when I am on my home wifi (ps5 actually connected to my router), does the ps5 still reach out to servers or is it only on my internal network?
Does it still work if you disconnect wan ?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
good to hear.

What I want to know is, when I am on my home wifi (ps5 actually connected to my router), does the ps5 still reach out to servers or is it only on my internal network?
Does it still work if you disconnect wan ?
If you are home its all on your own network so will all depend on how good your wifi is

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
good to hear. This means I am not reliant on sony servers which suuuuck ass here
Its a very good experience if you have strong wifi and know how to get clear channels from other nearby neighbors who might be on the same channel

I have seen several people complain about the experience being poor but when asked they admit they are using either a crappy ISP supplied router and some cheapo they picked up

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its a very good experience if you have strong wifi and know how to get clear channels from other nearby neighbors who might be on the same channel

I have seen several people complain about the experience being poor but when asked they admit they are using either a crappy ISP supplied router and some cheapo they picked up
yeah these fuckers wanted to give me some crappy router and I refused. I like to use my own router, with my own settings, so I am good on that front at least!

demigod

Have you tried hotspot with your cellphone?

demigod

How is your router set up?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
None of these are actual problems in your life. Just making fantasy excuses for you to pretend to need this product. "Hey Ive always wanted this thing despite never saying I needed it before it was announced!" If my dad spent all his time hiding away with his little gamer pad instead of riding bikes or something, I would kick his ass. And your wife's girlfriends (and boyfriends) call you a beta!
Why be upset at someone wanting something you don't want?

FrankWza

I tested on my 5g phone using hotspot. Average about 200 too mbps but shit ping.

It actually worked very well on the 2 games I tested. Not one stutter over 20 minutes
That's a very good average. I only get those speeds when I'm in UWB. LTE is much lower. I just looked at some of my results and I have a high of 641 down and 147 up. Unfortunately, I only get UWB in one spot at home

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Regarding the absence of BT :

You can always connect a BT receiver/adapter but, there's audio lag obviously (1/4 of a sec).
Image is from reddit btw, adapter is stuck via double sided tape
goP7e5H.jpg

FrankWza

Regarding the absence of BT :

You can always connect a BT receiver/adapter but, there's audio lag obviously (1/4 of a sec).
Image is from reddit btw, adapter is stuck via double sided tape
goP7e5H.jpg
If I was going that route I would order a bunch of adapters. There's gotta be one with low latency. coffinbirth coffinbirth mentioned using Pulse 3d but that only works at home. So having the audio from PS5 go to Pulse while using Portal. I haven't tested so I'm not sure if there is a sync issue there. But that BT adapter is
clean looking since the out the 3.5 jack in a great spot.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I dont actually use my Pulse 3d with the PS5. I am one of those heathens that prefer the TV speakers lol, my pulse were collecting dust until this thing arrived. They work very well wired, i dont really care for connecting them via bt.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't even get why you'd use wireless headsets on PS5 to begin with, since you can just connect the wire to your DualSense.
I did that for a long time with ps4 but it was always just a bit quiet.
And the wire is a bit annoying.
then pulse 3d came out and it's so good, it honestly is a first wireless headphone that sounds better than my beloved koss porta pro and I switched!
Been using pulse 3d for 3 years now on pc and ps5 and I never want to forgo wireless comfort again. I do pop out my porta pro and it still sounds amazing but they trade blows.

I also have sony xm3 and it sounds worse than both of those.
I am 100% getting pulse elite

FrankWza

Does that 3.5 jack make much difference?
It depends on the system itself. Dualsense sounds better than DS4 because Sony put a dedicated chip in the PS5 and wanted to make a push in console audio. You can get good sound from a DualSense with something like porta pro rofif rofif mentioned. Those are made to be easy to drive and portable. Some Full sized headphones need a lot more juice. The dualsense is already doing a lot so it can't be expected to drive certain headphones as well.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It depends on the system itself. Dualsense sounds better than DS4 because Sony put a dedicated chip in the PS5 and wanted to make a push in console audio. You can get good sound from a DualSense with something like porta pro rofif rofif mentioned. Those are made to be easy to drive and portable. Some Full sized headphones need a lot more juice. The dualsense is already doing a lot so it can't be expected to drive certain headphones as well.
yeah around 60ohm is the max you want to put on the dualshock 4. That's why porta pro was quiet because it's 60. It was a bit better on dualsense but there is another reason to go for pulse 3d - better dualsense battery life

Killjoy-NL

I did that for a long time with ps4 but it was always just a bit quiet.
And the wire is a bit annoying.
then pulse 3d came out and it's so good, it honestly is a first wireless headphone that sounds better than my beloved koss porta pro and I switched!
Been using pulse 3d for 3 years now on pc and ps5 and I never want to forgo wireless comfort again. I do pop out my porta pro and it still sounds amazing but they trade blows.

I also have sony xm3 and it sounds worse than both of those.
I am 100% getting pulse elite

I'm using the Pulse 3D wiresmd, but if audio quality is better when wireless, I might check it out.

(Obviously not on Portal, but audio on PS5 rn I resort to my home cinema)

Last edited:

FrankWza

I'm using the Pulse 3D wiresmd, but if audio quality is better when wireless, I might check it out.

(Obviously not on Portal, but audio on PS5 rn I resort to my home cinema)
Have you tried leaving your Pulse connected to PS5 wirelessly while using Portal?

Chronicle

Lol I'm so weak 🤣
I have a 2.5 Gigabit FTTH connection, using a 5GHz hotspot.
Early impressions, the screen is big, but the system feels light and comfortable, the streaming quality is really good in my house (see screenshots) except in a couple of rooms where I have some stutters and resolution drops.
Unfortunately the screen is not HDR and so you have to disable it manually on the PS5, this is boring and they need to fix it in a future update.
The system does what I expected it to do.

Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Chronicle

Yes. Here's an example of someone using remote play to play from a different country. The Portal is no different in this aspect

Yup I guy I work with plays Rust (a slower paced game) remote play on phone with a great orange and black ps controller. He said fast games don't work well though.

Pretty glad of my purchase. I used to play using iPad Pro 12.9 and control but it was little messy time to time (when wife had guest I try to play at bed).
Later I got rog ally and it worked well, but 10 minutes later is just uncomfortable as well.

This is very good, just like holding the controller I’m used too. Also the device look slick and well made .

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I'm using a shitty eero two node system they gave me with the fiber order and I've had no problems.

You always want to future proof when buying tech but no one needs to buy a $400 router to make it work.

You do want good strong coverage of any area you will play. That's the most important thing.

I have a dead spot in my house where the signal isn't good and it went choppy. Yet I was out front of my house in the street playing with no problems.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
What's wrong just using wired headphones on this?
Koss porta pro gonna give you better sound than probably any bt headphones imaginable.
Or wait for link headset
Good ol portapros, have some here too! Talk about a product that sounds much better than it's price point ......
And ya the elite or earbuds almost seem like must buys at this point due to how good they are.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Good ol portapros, have some here too! Talk about a product that sounds much better than it's price point ......
And ya the elite or earbuds almost seem like must buys at this point due to how good they are.
It's really crazy. These look like shit and feel like shit at first.
I ask my friend, hey get over here and put these on. "no these look like plastic crap". They put em on, their mouth opens and stays that way.
Next day he got em porta pros ordered :p

And once you get used to the fit, you forget about em on your head. crazy good. I wish there was playstation link wireless version of porta pros :D

Killjoy-NL

So, Sony really needs to allow us to have full access to PS5 system-settings, i.e. audio and screen options.

For audio, the PS5 doesn't recognise Portal through Remote Play, so it's impossible to set the audio output to headset (wired).
Currently it's set to 5.1 channel AV amplifier and I imagine that audio doesn't work probably for wired Pulse 3D.
I could ofcourse use Pulse wireless, but I'd still like to be able to manually set it to headphones.

Similar for screen settings. Tbh, it's starting to get annoying already having to first turn off 120hz and HDR on PS5 itself.
And then turn it all back on when I play on PS5 itself.

No idea why it's not possible rn, but hopefully there'll be a solution to this.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So, Sony really needs to allow us to have full access to PS5 system-settings, i.e. audio and screen options.

For audio, the PS5 doesn't recognise Portal through Remote Play, so it's impossible to set the audio output to headset (wired).
Currently it's set to 5.1 channel AV amplifier and I imagine that audio doesn't work probably for wired Pulse 3D.
I could ofcourse use Pulse wireless, but I'd still like to be able to manually set it to headphones.

Similar for screen settings. Tbh, it's starting to get annoying already having to first turn off 120hz and HDR on PS5 itself.

Not giving us total control over the PS5 is a head scratcher and why in the world does this thing have an airplane mode?

The OS needs work

FrankWza

Not giving us total control over the PS5 is a head scratcher and why in the world does this thing have an airplane mode?

The OS needs work
I have a feeling they're going to update around Explore launch. Link could be more than they're letting on. Or worst case, it alleviates some of the data and makes for a smoother experience by taking all of the audio from the stream. Let's hope

Edit
Killjoy-NL Killjoy-NL was there a sync delay when using pulse wirelessly?

Last edited:

demigod

Well, my screen protector didn’t come so i ended up waiting on unboxing, lol. Will just wait until I come home on Tuesday.

FrankWza

Well, my screen protector didn’t come so i ended up waiting on unboxing, lol. Will just wait until I come home on Tuesday.
I went with amfilm glass and a leatherette case. They were both sold out by launch day. I really want a nice docking station. One with a separate charger for the Explore would be nice. Like those Phone/Buds/Watch docks for Galaxy and Apple

demigod

I went with amfilm glass and a leatherette case. They were both sold out by launch day. I really want a nice docking station. One with a separate charger for the Explore would be nice. Like those Phone/Buds/Watch docks for Galaxy and Apple
At retailer? I didn’t even see any at Target. Ordered it on Amazon along with a silicone cover.

MScarpa

So chatted with a friend from Best Buy and he said they were having quite a few returned and once they made sure they were working they were putting them on the website for pickup only and as of now priced at $189

Its likely hard to catch one though I did see the site tell me unavailable nearby and as of now not worth the hassle for $10 off though someone looking to grab their first one might get lucky
Do you think some purchases/ returns are people not knowing this is a remote play device ONLY?

Last edited:
Top Bottom