• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation State of Play for Ghost of Tsushima 05/14/20 (1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm UK)

cireza

I don't play on PS4 but still watched this out of curiosity. I am not into samurai games at all, I don't like this universe much.

From what they presented, I get the feeling that they have a good balance between size of the world and density of interesting things to find. Maybe a little bit too stacked, but it feels like a step forward compared to BotW.

I really dislike how loaded with effects the screen is though, way too much wind, particle, lighting effects and stuff moving all the time. Does not feel realistic at all, kind of annoying. Also the music, they might have some nice tunes, but it was waaayyyy too loud. It would actually be better to not have music, but I suppose you can turn it off.

Combat felt pretty standard and unappealing to me, but this game not more than any other Assassin Creed game before it.

I think that people will love the game overall. Just not really my type. Interesting video nonetheless.

Business

I7JGt46.gif

Makes me want to jump and glide ala BOTW.

Shin

Banned
How is sekiro authentic? When in Japan history some dude had to kill a giant ape... twice?
Sekiro is fantasy, and its great. Ghost looks like it's a romanticization of real events.
I didn't specify, the assumptions are all yours and yours alone.
Why are you triggered though, having a hard time someone disliking something you do?

Zoro7

Banned
How can you complain about there being no villages when we only saw 18minutes of gameplay. And people calling gameplay bland did you watch the whole thing?

Eliciel

Something about this game is not as impressive as the initial reveal. Looks more like an ordinary PS4 game now I dunno. The authentic Japanese voices and music tho are spot on

I am the complete opposite (while we seem to agree on music and voice) and it is nice to see different opinions. The very core, the "heart", of the game just completely catches me during the presentation. All the little details like the Fox Den and the Wind showing you the direction...
I think the combat is under observation for sure as it just seems a little bit unclear how the style is actually going to be play. Simultaneously, it has to be a "grounded" fight style as it is a Samurai Driven game. This is not set to be a Bayonetta or super fancy explosion gameplay - it is a authentic approach to the fighting style and we'll see....

but everything else...just fully made me be convinced about it.
The last stepping stone to that mindset was the Soundtrack. This freaking plot implying drum/flute sound is just so intriguing and pulls you into the world so convincignly.
Yes, I loved Sekiro, but to be honest, I can see myself enjoing an easier accesible game a lot.

This is the music part I mean:

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I reached a phase in the 360 gen where it felt everything was pretty much a reskin of the prevailing formula of popular games, and I think I reached that point recently watching TLoU II and GoT. Both exceptional looking games, but nothing really new or eye catching enough to think 'must-play'. Right now, I'm thinking park both of these games and wait for PS5 - I think both will benefit from the bump and I have a backlog that probably won't get ported so just makes sense.

I think the combat looks a bit weird because when you're in samurai mode, you have to be all noble and honourable. So you're expected to initiate 'duel' mechanics essentially - pretty much like a ritual (e.g. PvP Souls where people bow etc). When you play as a ghost you obviously have more freedom and tricks/abilities to get the upper hand.

The arrow into the guard where he flew like Skyrim was amusing, just for nostalgia. I'm not sure on the wind swirls as the directional guide. I don't mind the collectibles/reagents glimmering in normal play. It saves a button press of entering 'detective mode' for one. I think it will be another I:SS - looks great with an amazing photo mode, but the gameplay mechanics are just a bit janky/fall short.

Roufianos

That looked awful.

'Immersive wind' but then we give you x-ray vision?

Textbook simplified and boring open-world stealth. Crouch to not be seen.

Combat looks extremely simplistic and kind of janky in its animations.

As soon as I saw him pick up some craftables, I knew this probably wouldn't be my kind of game.

Customisation looks good though. Hope I'm wrong.

Lanrutcon

I too am excited for Assassin's Creed: Nipponarok.

If you'd left the logos out of the reveal I would 100% have guessed it's an AC game. Originality is dead.

It's Assassin's Creed without the assassin vs templar shit that I never cared for. I'd pick it up at launch but since this is Sony first party it will be $35 in 3 months.

One thing i hate about this game is how he shoots people with the bow. Like he shoot them with shotgun . And the bow enemy, he shouting "toso" or "torso" or whatever the fuck that is too many times lol.
And seem like the AI is still stupid too.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ahh, definitely looks like a video game now and not just flashy cutscenes. Doesn't look like anything that every other stealth-action-exploration game hasn't done, but that's fine, I'll take it. Sometimes all you need is a solid, familiar feeling game to chew through. Music's really nice.

Naturally, non-plebs should be playing with Japanese VA on.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Looks good and a day one purchase for me. That black and white grainy film mode looks amazing but I don't think I'd use it that much honestly.

Last edited:

Eanox

So now its cringe to see a guy handle his sword? Damn it sure is hard to please gamers today. The game is going for historical accuracy and fantasy. I dont know what cringe...its all battle talk and samurai wisdom quotes. Its a game like any other. The UE5...its a tech demo, what was so impressive there story wise? Oh forgot, there is no story it just a show off that still wont bee seen on next gen consoles years to come. They havent even matched UE4 presentations from 7 years ago, you gotta curb your expectations. A game to utilize UE5 engine like that is looooooong ways off.
Ignore the guy it seems he is looking for attention. Lol

SquireDalbridge

Neo Member
Seen the Game and the Gameplay although the graphics and inviorment look incredible the gameplay especially the fighting scene's looks ackward and uninteresting Slow and almost like the character is moving
with stones in his pants and the hack and slash is boring and jittery Slow not Dynamic and Fast like Sekiro.

Dodkrake

Banned
That looked awful.

'Immersive wind' but then we give you x-ray vision?

Textbook simplified and boring open-world stealth. Crouch to not be seen.

Combat looks extremely simplistic and kind of janky in its animations.

As soon as I saw him pick up some craftables, I knew this probably wouldn't be my kind of game.

Customisation looks good though. Hope I'm wrong.

The same crouch that shows during the "Ghost" section? Go rewatch the video

ToadMan

I thought it was good - certainly I’m interested now. Would love to see a little more of the combat gameplay and perhaps get an idea of how big this game is. Are we talking HZD, RDR, RDR2?

But also in my mind is Sucker Punch.... so they released the last stuff they did for Infamous in 2014 - 6 years later there’s this ...

6 years ... That’s polyphony levels of time to develop a title. It seems to me that this has to be a metacritic mid 90s game to be worth that much time and investment.

For comparison (just because I’ve played these a lot during lockdown) Dark Souls 2 released March 2014 - same month as Second Son. Since then, From released DS3, Bloodborne and Sekiro plus various bits of DLC. Is GOT going to be able to stand with those games nevermind surpass them...?

I hope it’s great - I’d love to have an awesome game like that for the summer and a title to spawn a new AAA series for Sony. But does this look like a game of the gen about to drop? I don’t know if I can see that yet.

Anyway fingers crossed - I’m in for the grainy 50s movie mode if nothing else.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
6 years ... That’s polyphony levels of time to develop a title. It seems to me that this has to be a metacritic mid 90s game to be worth that much time and investment.
I don't think this will me mid 90. Perheps mid 80 like most AAAs with a certain amount of time, money and manpower.

Moogle11

Banned
I agree with this. I'm really digging this combat approach. I just don't want it to be very easy.

Hopefully there are enough difficulty options from the start for people to make it how they want. I was worried it would be too hard (be it like Nioh or Bushido Blade etc.). Seeing that apparently isn’t the case (at least on default difficulty), along with their being a map and way to set waypoints after some rumors there wouldn’t be, are the things from the video that still have me semi-interested.

xrnzaaas

It looks really nice and I loved the music in the gameplay video. I'll definitely pick it up, always wanted to play Assassin's Creed Japan and this is the closest I can get to it.

Reactions: TLZ

ToadMan

I don't think this will me mid 90. Perheps mid 80 like most AAAs with a certain amount of time, money and manpower.

From what I’ve seen so far that’s my guess too. Is mid 80s enough for a game 6 years in the making by a studio with over 200 staff?

I’m assuming SP weren’t busy with anything else... anyway I’m not shitting on the game or SP as such, I’m just curious about the strategy that has brought GOT about.

Is this Sony just letting studios do their own thing hoping to strike gold, or is there a feeling this will become a major franchise to match up with ND’s efforts?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Did they leave a lot out of the core gameplay loop? I didn't really get a feel for how the open world will be engaging. They could have shown a lot more because it doesn't look very fun. The enemy AI looked goofy. One of those guards was staring at a wall in the shipyard. I wasn't super impressed, but I'm still kinda interested.

DavidGzz

I'm loving the shit out of the last two AC games so people comparing this like it's a bad things makes me lol. This looks ace and I don't think I can wait for the PS5 upgrade now.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I wonder how much of what we saw is "old build" and not representative of the final game?
The game is out in 2 months, it is is probably already finished and in bugs polish mode, i don't think they are so moronic to show a worst version of the game in a show where you are trying to hype the game.

Last edited:
The game is out in 2 months, it is is probably already finished and in bugs polish mode, i don't think they are so moronic to show a worst version of the game in a show where you are trying to hype the game.

This is an old build from atleast March if not earlier. This was supposed to be the IGN first for April.

bargeparty

What do you think they throw this stuff together on a Monday morning?

I never said "worst version" either, just old build.

Last edited:

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
This State of Play actually ruined this game for me. The game is really pretty but looks incredibly boring. Navigating from waypoint to waypoint via GPS farts instead of giving us a mini map, or putting a waypoint in the UI? Come on. One hit kills during combat? I get that during the sneaking parts but not open combat. How's it going to be fun if you spend more time walking to a place than you to attacking/liberating it?

At some point they seem to have forgotten that this is supposed to be a video game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
What do you think they throw this stuff together on a Monday morning?

I never said "worst version" either, just old build.
I think this is the complete game already who only need some polish before getting in gold phase.

And an old build is logically a worst version, do you think they put more flaws in a game going on with the development? No it's the contrary, so an old build has certaintly more flaws.

I was just being realistic, don't expect animation becoming tlou2 level or the rocks textures being less flat in the final version, 99% of the game is already done.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is an old build from atleast March if not earlier. This was supposed to be the IGN first for April.

Well then i hope they polished the shit out of it in the remaining months because some part were pretty rough to watch, still is not gonna be a totally different game compared to this build, i hope they at least make some animations less janky.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

do people just have zero attention span? like do people have ADHD where they need constant kills and particles flying in their face or they fall asleep?

I see you're not familiar with the crowd that wept repeatedly when AC required you to wear gear before you can 1 shot enemies.

This State of Play actually ruined this game for me. The game is really pretty but looks incredibly boring. Navigating from waypoint to waypoint via GPS farts instead of giving us a mini map, or putting a waypoint in the UI? Come on. One hit kills during combat? I get that during the sneaking parts but not open combat. How's it going to be fun if you spend more time walking to a place than you to attacking/liberating it?

At some point they seem to have forgotten that this is supposed to be a video game.
It's an open world game and yet so far we haven't really seen...

- battles out in open areas, especially on horseback
- villages and towns
- shops, NPCs, quest givers, etc
- all of the crafting and gathering options
- all of the collectibles (following a fox to a shrine was one example shown off)

Either it's a very empty open world game with nothing to do or they just haven't shown off all the mechanics yet. I'm guessing it is the latter.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
It's an open world game and yet so far we haven't really seen...

- battles out in open areas, especially on horseback
- villages and towns
- shops, NPCs, quest givers, etc
- all of the crafting and gathering options
- all of the collectibles (following a fox to a shrine was one example shown off)

Either it's a very empty open world game with nothing to do or they just haven't shown off all the mechanics yet. I'm guessing it is the latter.

I hope you're right, but the fact that they spent an entire State of Play on this game, and gave us several minutes of how quiet and empty the world is (unless you count birds and foxes) is very worrying to me. This went from "can't wait to play" to "oh shit, maybe not" for me over the course of the 40 minute video. Hell they even repeated the clip of the MC walking/jumping over three bamboo stocks three times.

I'm not expecting all the things you listed in a single presentation, but when they spent more time talking about their black and white filter than they did gameplay this is looking more like The Order 1886 to me. Really pretty, but not a lot there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom