• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation State of Play for Ghost of Tsushima 05/14/20 (1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm UK)

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's an open world game and yet so far we haven't really seen...

- battles out in open areas, especially on horseback
- villages and towns
- shops, NPCs, quest givers, etc
- all of the crafting and gathering options
- all of the collectibles (following a fox to a shrine was one example shown off)

Either it's a very empty open world game with nothing to do or they just haven't shown off all the mechanics yet. I'm guessing it is the latter.
I hope for a massive skill three to have some variation in the combat and far more stronger enemies that don't die with a single hit ac1 style.

Also maybe some other weapon other than a katana.

Last edited:
I hope you're right, but the fact that they spent an entire State of Play on this game, and gave us several minutes of how quiet and empty the world is (unless you count birds and foxes) is very worrying to me. This went from "can't wait to play" to "oh shit, maybe not" for me over the course of the 40 minute video. Hell they even repeated the clip of the MC walking/jumping over three bamboo stocks three times.

I'm not expecting all the things you listed in a single presentation, but when they spent more time talking about their black and white filter than they did gameplay this is looking more like The Order 1886 to me. Really pretty, but not a lot there.
I definitely want to see more. I agree that the current version of the game only hints at larger settings and so far looks fairly sparse.

I get the vibe they're trying not to show off too much of the game, personally. Nothing wrong with that. Most of the mechanics and nuances in Red Dead Redemption 2 were unknown in the months leading up to launch.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah it was pretty strange that they dedicated half of the stream on a fucking photo mode or black and white mode when we don't know almost jack shit about the game...it wasn't really trust inducing...

I swear console people shat for years on pc players and their screenshoot maniac behaviour just to become even worst with photomode and a damn share button to make gif on twitter...

The table turned and it is hilarious.

Maybe i'm too old school because i never ever taked a screenshot in my life :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Oddspeak

I just wanna say, I know the game's revitalizing a Kurosawa boner for a lot of people, and for good reason, but also check out Harakiri.

event_70766_original-1.jpeg

It's my favorite samurai movie and deserves to be discussed among the likes of Kurosawa's best.

mortal

Banned
Yeah it was pretty strange that they dedicated half of the stream on a fucking photo mode or black and white mode when we don't know almost jack shit about the game
How can someone watch that video, and all that we've previously seen and learned about this game, and come to this conclusion?

I really dont like the slow motion effect when you kill someone. It's not very Kurosawa. The E3 trailer didn't have that and it looked so much better.
Out of all the criticisms of the combat that I've read, this is one I do agree with.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I really dont like the slow motion effect when you kill someone. It's not very Kurosawa. The E3 trailer didn't have that and it looked so much better.
Just don't use that standoff feature, i probably never gonna use it, the game looks already easy and overly theatrical without that stuff.

I think the slowdown is so that you can shift your camera and target the next enemy. I expect the slowdown sequence is on some kind of timer or cooldown. Perhaps with higher camera sensitivity, you can move the camera faster and execute the one-hit kills in quicker succession.

Just read the whole history of Mongol invasions of Japan and basically terrible storm (1st one) and terrible typhoon (2nd) doomed them (there were a lot of Koreans and Chinese in the invading force). Tsushima was in both occasions occupied immediately with Japanese there defending to their death.

But it’s terribly mountainous island, really not a lot of plains there. We’ll see how authentically will that be portrayed in the game. I’m also curious about language since I read lingua franca in East Asia at the time was Chinese but we’ll obviously hear Japanese all the time. How will Mongols communicate with Japanese, in what language? It would be kind of immersions breaking if even Mongols spoke Japanese.

GermanZepp

Gold Member
The unreal 5 demo kinda spoiled the graphics for me. The game still very colorful and grounded. I was expecting the combat to be more unique, I don't feel it right now.

GymWolf

Gold Member
How can someone watch that video, and all that we've previously seen and learned about this game, and come to this conclusion?

Out of all the criticisms of the combat that I've read, this is one I do agree with.
Because we still don't know much about the combat, the stance system, the counter system, the platforming\climbing, the sidequest, the exploration, the rpg stats elements, what secrets you can find, how different armours give you bonus, how many different weapon we can find, the skillthree, the allies, etc.

They explained the exploration with 2 min of follow the wind\bird to get in a abandoned house to get a resource and petting a fox and bowing in a shrine, wow very deep explanation indeed.

Just take a look here or other forum or reddit, people still don't understand how the combat work but they have time to spare for a tertiary or worst thing like a fucking photo mode or black and white mode or jab dub that was already confirmed in 2018?

This was a far less deep presentation than some people think, but hey, i can make screenshoot with jin smiling and particles shit on command...

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If they can pull off batman fun level combat I'll enjoy the game. Some of it looked like that; it's not my typical kind of game I love but I at least like them if the setting is right.. and the Batman games, loved that setting.

Watching the actual 4k video this morning the graphics are a lot nicer than they appeared for me during the stream.

I'm not a graphics whore by any means but there's still some kind of distracting bad textures here and there... one thing BOTW does well is that consistent cell-shaded look.. I'd take consistently good looking graphics over a mixed bag of high and low detail.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If they can pull off batman fun level combat I'll enjoy the game. Some of it looked like that; it's not my typical kind of game I love but I at least like them if the setting is right.. and the Batman games, loved that setting.

Watching the actual 4k video this morning the graphics are a lot nicer than they appeared for me during the stream.

I'm not a graphics whore by any means but there's still some kind of distracting bad textures here and there... one thing BOTW does well is that consistent cell-shaded look.. I'd take consistently good looking graphics over a mixed bag of high and low detail.
Well i guess that if i have to choose between ultra shitty ac1 counter de dios system or just shitty free flow combat from batman i guess the second one is the lesser evil...what a low standard tho.

Also, the only thing zelda does in a consistent way is looking like shit :ROFLMAO: but i understand your point, is less jarring when the whole game looks bad compared to a game that looks great with some bad texture here and there

Last edited:

mortal

Banned
Because we still don't know much about the combat, the stance system, the counter system, the platforming\climbing, the sidequest, the exploration, the rpg stats elements, what secrets you can find, the skillthree, the allies etc.

They explained the exploration with 2 min of follow the wind\bird to get in a abandoned house to get a resource and petting a fox and bowing in a shrine, wow very deep explanation indeed.

Just take a look here or other forum or reddit, people still don't understand how the combat work but they have time to spare for a tertiary or worst thing like a fucking photo mode or black and white mode or jab dub that was already confirmed in 2018?

This was a far less deep presentation than some people think, but hey, i can make screenshoot with jin smiling and particles shit on command...
"we don't know almost jack shit about the game"
From this SOP they covered several aspects of the game.
- Exploration and organically navigating the map through in-game cues
- Play styles differences between Samurai & Ghost, the specialities between the two such as stand off, stance switching, and using items
- Gear customization
We've learned about climbing since the first gameplay trailer. They explicitly stated at the end of the SOP there's still more to come. In depth explanations regarding combat and character progress will be explored leading up to release , which is a mere 2 months from now.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
"we don't know almost jack shit about the game"
It this SOP they covered several aspects of the game.
- Exploration and organically navigating the map through in-game cues
- Play styles differences between Samurai & Ghost, the specialities between the to such a stand off, stance switching, and using items
- Customization
We've learned about climbing since the first gameplay trailer. They explicitly stated at the end of the SOP there's still more to come. In depth explanations regarding combat and character progress will be explored leading up to release , which is a mere 2 months from now.
Well maybe jack shit was a little bit exagerated, but still i didn't liked at all having half of the stream dedicated to tertiary features, i think everyone was eager to see more combat or stealth or villages with npc etc.
Jap dub and photo mode were already confirmed in 2018 reveal and if i remember well they already talked aboit introducing a black and white filter in a past interview, this stuff is not something so important to steal time to other more important stuff.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Couldn't agree more. I'm looking forward to a skill tree and combat variation. Should be awesome!
I dont share your optimism after yesterday but we can only hope for the better.

I just want a combat that is not only based on counter and 1 hit kills.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered is absolutely right. The colors pop in a kind of otherworldly way, and it is so, so beautiful.

So much of the talk has been about the tech, but the art direction is absolutely👌

Could not agree more. I love the color palette tones and lighting they chose. It's almost like a dream in a way, or looking back in time through a "looking glass".

Last edited:

mortal

Banned
Well maybe jack shit was a little bit exagerated, but still i didn't liked at all having half of the stream dedicated to tertiary features, i thonk everyone was eager to see more combat or stealth or villages with npc etc.
Fair enough. We've learned a great deal form yesterday's SOP, and there's still more to come.
You won't even have to wait much longer to get the game in your hands, or for full impressions and reviews if you're still undecided by then.

Kumomeme

i get the feeling once ubisoft finally released assasins creed at japan with samurai, people probably will end up comparing with this game

GymWolf

Gold Member
Fair enough. We've learned a great deal form yesterday's SOP, and there's still more to come.
You won't even have to wait much longer to get the game in your hands, or for full impressions and reviews if you're still undecided by then.
Dude i'm gonna buy the game day one, i love sucker punch, realistic stuff and open world, i'm just hyped to see more about the game even if i sound a little negative with some trolling here and there :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm just not happy about the combat for now, i don't even care much if the stealth is some bog standard stuff or if they changed waypoint with wind farts, every open world has the same flaws and i still love a lot of them.

Last edited:
Beautiful.
Day 1, real gameplay + diffculty will bring out the best of the combat similar to AC Origins/Odyssey.
Originality is overrated and is a stupid criticism, i saw none of these people praising Death Stranding, instead it was all "where's the gameplay?", "WHERE'S THE COMBAT!?".

GymWolf

Gold Member
Beautiful.
Day 1, real gameplay + diffculty will bring out the best of the combat similar to AC Origins/Odyssey.
Originality is overrated and is a stupid criticism, i saw none of these people praising Death Stranding, instead it was all "where's the gameplay?", "WHERE'S THE COMBAT!?".
Last 2 ac games are more floaty dark souls light type of combat, this looks more like first ac games with heavy emphasis on 1 hit kill counters tbh.

Last edited:
Last 2 ac games are more floaty dark souls light type of combat, this looks more like first ac games with heavy emphasis on 1 hit kill counters tbh.
If you pay attention they state it's a parry you need to perform at the last possible moment which leaves the enemy open to a one hit kill, so it more of Sekiro than AC.
Floaty is a complaint i never understood personally, it's like every game must feel the same, i remember people calling Sly that, and the Sly games are some of THEM most fun games out there.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If you pay attention they state it's a parry you need to perform at the last possible moment which leaves the enemy open to a one hit kill, so it more of Sekiro than AC.
Floaty is a complaint i never understood personally, it's like every game must feel the same, i remember people calling Sly that, and the Sly games are some of THEM most fun games out there.
Dude have you ever played the first ac games? You literally have enemies that take turn to attack just to be blasted by a one hit kill counter, exactly like you see in taushima gameplay.

In sekiro you have to parry multiple times to increase an indicator and only after that you can make a fatality move, it is more similar to ac1 or brotherhood than sekiro, in the from game only when you are upgraded you can instakill minor enemies with one single parry but that is like 10% of the total encounters in that game and not really how the combat work most of the time.

And we will see how tight is the parry window on this one, if you watch the standoff were he kill 3 enemies he make the parry when they still have their arm on the air and not when the blade is almost touching you, it looks very forgiving, and it's only natural, they said multiple times that the game is not gonna be sekiro level of difficulty and they have to sell to the masses of casuals out there, exactly like ac saga, no room for ultra technical and hard combat ala sekiro.

And being floaty is a legitimate critique, not everyone loves that feeling and that's why you never gonna see ac origins or odissey cited in any poll about the best combat systems of this gen, they are serviceable at best, floaty, clunky, poorly animated etc.

Sly is beloved yes, but ask to yourself, is combat the most important mechanic in a game like sly cooper or maybe the combat being floaty and serviceable is not really a great flaw in a game like this?

Many games have reactive and gamey but still heavy and satisfying to watch combat system, ac saga was never ever a saga with great combat, it was piss easy counter de dios based in the first games and clunky floaty dars soul-ish in the last 2 games

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not every console launch needs to be a burden, I think the Samurai scene being put in the spotlight should embrace it and enjoy it. Obviously action game fans will sign up for this game.

pulga

Banned
That looked wildly derivative, only thing semi-original about it is the aesthetics. I'm so tired of these modern open world games, with "?" vomited all over the map, crafting, etc.

Dude have you ever played the first ac games? You literally have enemies that take turn to attack just to be blasted by a one hit kill counter, exactly like you see in taushima gameplay.

In sekiro you have to parry multiple times to increase an indicator and only after that you can make a fatality move, it is more similar to ac1 or brotherhood than sekiro.

And we will see hot tight is the parry window on this one, if you watch the standoff were he kill e enemies he make the parry when they still have their arm on the air and not when the blade is almost touching you, it looks very forgiving.

And being floaty is a legitimate critique, not everyone loves that feeling and that's why you never gonna see ac origins or odissey cited in any poll about the best combat systems of this gen, they are serviceable at best, floaty, clunky, poorly animated etc.

Sly is beloved yes, but ask to yourself, is combat the most important mechanic in a game like sly cooper or maybe the combat being floaty and serviceable is not really a great flaw in a game like this?

Many games have reactive but still heavy and satisfying to watch combat system, ac saga was never ever a saga with great combat, it was piss easy counter de dios based in the first games and clunky floaty dars soul-ish in the last 2 games
In AC1 there was no need to really time your parry, you just continue to press the parry button (X/triangle) and if you missed there's no drawback.
Sekiro didn't required multiple parries against trash mobs like the regular samurais which could also be the case for this game.

Again wait till the game releases and watch/read people impressions, no one is twisting your arm to force you to buy the game or be hyped about it.

As for floaty argumant, Sly is a platformer and the jumps in it were the subject of the floaty criticism not the simple combat, again this is a western game people used to Japanese games will always say a western game feels "off" or "floaty" even DKC back in the day was subject to the same thing.

If you've ever played a SP game before they all feel pretty much the same, and IMO SP never made a bad game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
In AC1 there was no need to really time your parry, you just continue to press the parry button (X/triangle) and if you missed there's no drawback.
Sekiro didn't required multiple parries against trash mobs like the regular samurais which could also be the case for this game.

Again wait till the game releases and watch/read people impressions, no one is twisting your arm to force you to buy the game or be hyped about it.

As for floaty argumant, Sly is a platformer and the jumps in it were the subject of the floaty criticism not the simple combat, again this is a western game people used to Japanese games will always say a western game feels "off" or "floaty" even DKC back in the day was subject to the same thing.

If you've ever played a SP game before they all feel pretty much the same, and IMO SP never made a bad game.
Dude i'm gonna buy the game on day one and infamous is my favourite saga from last gen, i don't need to be an hater to point out some things about what i watched.

And one parry kill in sekiro is like 10% of the total encounters in that game and inly when you upgrade the chara, most of the game works with multiple parry to fill the indicator that make you do the fatality.

Sucker punch already stated that this game is all about precision and less hits possible to kill the enemies, is gonna be very different than sekiro and more like a slightly more technical ac counter system.

Happy to be disproved because for now the combat looks dreadfull to me.

Last edited:
That looked wildly derivative, only thing semi-original about it is the aesthetics. I'm so tired of these modern open world games, with "?" vomited all over the map, crafting, etc.
10 years ago you were saying the same thing about 3rd Person OTS stroy driven, linear shooters and CoD clones, 5 years before that everyone was complaining about the popularity and satiuration of JRPGs and DMC clones, 10 years before that everyone was complaining about mascot platformers and side scrolling action games, etc.

You get the point by now i guess, what's popular will always be run into the ground before the "new hottness" takes over and you'll be here complaining about those too i'm sure.

pulga

Banned
10 years ago you were saying the same thing about 3rd Person OTS stroy driven, linear shooters and CoD clones, 5 years before that everyone was complaining about the popularity and satiuration of JRPGs and DMC clones, 10 years before that everyone was complaining about mascot platformers and side scrolling action games, etc.

You get the point by now i guess, what's popular will always be run into the ground before the "new hottness" takes over and you'll be here complaining about those too i'm sure.
I've never really complained about all of those no. It's this template I'm fed up with, and particularly coming out of Sony once again after Days Gone and HZD. At least I have TLOU2 to look forward to.

I've never really complained about all of those no. It's this template I'm fed up with, and particularly coming out of Sony once again after Days Gone and HZD. At least I have TLOU2 to look forward to.
I wasn't signaling you specifcly (my bad) but people were increasingly annoyed by CoD and Uncharted clones, you can check GAFs reaction to Tomb Raider 2013 and you'll see what i mean.

INC

Gold Member

Can someone ask if we can have an option to remove the HuD and leave the map blank, so we actually have to discover things
Option to Remove slowdown assist in combat, all assists off option
And in B&W mode, can they leave the blood colour on, or have it as a filter option

I dont use tweeter

Last edited:
Can someone ask if we can have an option to remove the HuD and leave the map blank, so we actually have to discover things
Option to Remove slowdown assist in combat, all assists off option
And in B&W mode, can they leave the blood colour on, or have it as a filter option

I dont use tweeter

A HUD-free option would be pretty nice, for sure. Did inFamous ever offer that?

TimFL

The unreal 5 demo kinda spoiled the graphics for me. The game still very colorful and grounded. I was expecting the combat to be more unique, I don't feel it right now.
This. The gameplay overall looks worse than what I remember from the initial reveal. Looks arcadeish to me.

Can‘t help but think this would‘ve been better as a day 1 PS5 game, designed from the ground up for the new generation.
We always get great games near the end of the gen that are held back by the hardware... (like TLOU1 for PS3).

plip.plop

So that's why we haven't seen much of the game, because it got heavily downgraded, nice

Looks like your average Ubiosoft games clones, nothing special at all
Do you think it looks downgraded? I'm personally not seeing it,
Quick question, do you think the previous showing of the game was the PS5 build then?

Top Bottom