• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation will release 6 Live Service games by March 2025. How many will be successful?

How many of PlayStations six Live Service games (releasing by March 2025) will be successful?

• 0 - 1. The market is saturated and it's a crapshoot making these games.

• 2 - 4. I'm like Switzerland.

• 5 - 6. We've only just begun. PlayStation knows what it's doing here.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Oh don't get me wrrong. I'm not Swiss. I'm from the US. I just google translated my post to German because of the poll haha.
No. You are already Swiss in my mind. I can't go back.

Jigsaah:

1000_F_223507390_c2nSQcimevDgnSVPOVd4kLA5tNa77wga.jpg

Quantum253

I guess about as well as MAG did. That game had about 4 years to it then died.
I suppose if they can replicate Fortnite, PUBG, etc. then maybe, but the arena/Battle Royal game genre is about done and players are ready for something new.
If Sony can take a popular IP and make an enticing live element to it then maybe. However, games are almost all based on Microtransactions/Streamers/Mobile elements in this age so it's really what will stream and get people to buy microtransactions that will be pushed through.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
0-1, the market isn't necessarily saturated, they just don't have what it takes to make a damn good one that will steal enough of an audience from others.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
None.

Live Service games are a mistake

None of them are SOCOM or Warhawk so my estimate is 0% chance of success :)

They suck regarding mp games. Means 0.

This. Oh, and my vote for zero is public, oh noes!

Zero is the safe bet.

Looks like most people in this thread never thought Helldivers 2 would or could be successful. Glad to see most of them were wrong.

It'll be a mixture of Steamcharts and TrueTrophies.com after ~3 months post launch. That's when most multiplayer games settle in and find their groove in terms of player base.

For example, when Helldivers 2 comes out and has a bigger audience than Deep Rock Galactic, it'll be hard to argue it's not a success.

Anybody claiming the market for GaaS games is saturated is fundamentally ignorant of how these games work.

By their very definition, unlike traditional games that need to canvass the broadest possible audience with with widest possible appeal, Live Service games are a business model that make what is essentially the "cult classic" a profitable and very viable model.

Live Service games merely need to build a relatively small but devoted following, but one that is willing to continually spend. Do that and with only a couple of million monthly active users, you will make considerable bank.

Do that very well, and behold you now have one of the most profitable gaming properties in the industry. Everybody only looks at the biggest games, e.g. the Fortnites and GTA Onlines, and thinks "there's not enough room in the market for anymore of them", but whilst that may or may not be true, there's plenty room for smaller GaaS successes like Warframe, Destiny 2 (until recently), Payday, etc etc etc

I personally think Helldivers 2 could slap hard. And I do have faith in Marathon and Concord. With only three of these becoming reasonably successful, that would be enough to finance virtually all of Sony's AAA SP games from their other studios.

I think what Sony needs to do, however, is go all in on their multiplatform approach with their Live Service games. They need to build games like Fortnite that also run on iPads and Android phones. If they can do that, they'll have their cash cow to milk and finance literally all of PS's future creative endeavors.

Ahh. Well, that's not a metric I really monitor so I can't really lend an informed opinion. Just going by what I noted originally, I'll stick with 5 out of 6 finding "success"

But some did think Sony could be successful in Live Service games.

I think the poll would be better with the project names so we vote for the biggest flops.

The only one I see with some potential is, as someone mentioned, a Monster Hunter-like Horizon.

The others will EOS within a year, followed by studio closure.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Define succes. If it is Fortnite/Apex/Destiny tier, probably zero. Not even HD2 is there. But at least with HD2 people paid for it, so they have skin in the game immediately, instead of junk like The Finals where people just download it, play it for a few weeks, then the publisher has to admit it's failing after they leave.

I think also Sony canceling projects shows that they have some standards in place here, instead of just handing devs blank checks and telling them to call once in a while. Like another platform holder that tried to bolster their in-house development.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I think the poll would be better with the project names so we vote for the biggest flops.

The only one I see with some potential is, as someone mentioned, a Monster Hunter-like Horizon.

The others will EOS within a year, followed by studio closure.

You don't think even Helldivers 2 will be good in 9 months?

mckmas8808

I was counting first party studios. Helldivers is by far the safest success for Sony right now. However, it needs (urgently) Sony's funding to keep it alive. I hope they support these guys.

Arrowhead said Sony doubled the budget from Helldivers 1 to Helldivers 2 once they saw the game coming together. At this point I'm going to believe Sony's funding isn't going to be an issue for this franchise.

Guilty_AI

It was 10 games in 2021, it became 6, and now its only 1 or 2 in this time-frame. Helldivers 2 sold well but it's success isn't any different from one of their major SP games selling a lot at launch, certainly doesn't look like it'll become an eternal money-printing which supposedly should be the monetary advantage of GAAS over traditional models. And we ain't even sure if we'll really see Concord this year.

If Sony has another big hit like HD2, whether it's Concord, Fairgames, Horizon MMO, then I believe Sony would consider their GAAS push a success. It only takes 1-2 big live service games to generate billions in revenue, which would easily cover the costs of their failed GAAS games

It was 10 games in 2021, it became 6, and now its only 1 or 2 in this time-frame. Helldivers 2 sold well but it's success isn't any different from one of their major SP games selling a lot at launch, certainly doesn't look like it'll become an eternal money-printing which supposedly should be the monetary advantage of GAAS over traditional models. And we ain't even sure if we'll really see Concord this year.
The skies the limit with HD2. The foundation of that game is so damn good. You still got 80,00 daily peaks almost 4 months into Launch. It will be highly profitable for years to come if fed good content. We still know the developers are sitting on an entire new faction and vehicles too

bender

What time is it?
Looks like most people in this thread never thought Helldivers 2 would or could be successful. Glad to see most of them were wrong.

It has nothing to do with Helldivers and everything to do with success rate of GAAS titles. Take any six titles that have yet to be released and the safe bet on success rate is still zero.

LordOfChaos

My >1% chance hope is that Marathon goes like Titanfall 1 - Titanfall 2 where the first one barely had a story and no real campaign other than doing certain multiplayer missions in order, but the second one had a great sp campaign. Because they're sitting on the IP that is the father of fucking Halo right there.

Guilty_AI

7th place with majority of money coming from upfront sales, aka like many of their modern SP games. Also worth noting the game is $40, so it being among best selling isn't the same as having a Spider Man or Dragons Dogma 2 there.

The skies the limit with HD2. The foundation of that game is so damn good. You still got 80,00 daily peaks almost 4 months into Launch. It will be highly profitable for years to come if fed good content. We still know the developers are sitting on an entire new faction and vehicles too
It's a GAAS, supposedly. It can't just have players playing, it need players paying too. Will you keep paying for whatever capes or battlepass they're selling?

7th place with majority of money coming from upfront sales, aka like many of their modern SP games. Also worth noting the game is $40, so it being among best selling isn't the same as having a Spider Man or Dragons Dogma 2 there.

It's a GAAS, supposedly. It can't just have players playing, it need players paying too. Will you keep paying for whatever capes or battlepass they're selling?
It's a 3rd person shooter, which is built for cosmetics. There are already monthly battlepasses(10$) and different types of cosmetics you can purchase seperately. But If you grind roughly 15-25hrs players can gain in-game currency to purchase Battlepasses for free. Arrowhead hasn't emphasized monetization because they said they want to "earn it". There is no reason this won't be a GAAS cash cow for years to come. As Arrowhead has stated, they want to make it the best GAAS on the market

Laptop1991

That's a waste of 5 games for me, i doubt even 1 will be a massive success, it's as if Sony are just throwing 6 out there hoping 1 sticks, when they could make 5 good SP games, but I don't like live service games anyway, so i am biased

Guilty_AI

There is no reason this won't be a GAAS cash cow for years to come.
You just stated the reason yourself:
There are already monthly battlepasses(10$) and different types of cosmetics you can purchase seperately. But If you grind roughly 15-25hrs players can gain in-game currency to purchase Battlepasses for free. Arrowhead hasn't emphasized monetization because they said they want to "earn it".
Yes, it may still generate revenue, but it won't be a cashcow. From Sony's annual revenue perspective, a small side-project at best.

Hell divers has kind of died recently. It's made allot of money already but I don't think it will continue to. Unless they can recapture the magic they had at launch. Maybe when the new faction comes out? I personally stopped playing about a month ago. I did buy the battle pass though before that and some extra currency but the game became stale.

Xyphie

Hell divers has kind of died recently. It's made allot of money already but I don't think it will continue to. Unless they can recapture the magic they had at launch. Maybe when the new faction comes out? I personally stopped playing about a month ago. I did buy the battle pass though before that and some extra currency but the game became stale.

A decline over time was bound to happen with HD2 because the game is fairly mindless gameplay-wise and it's really hard to grow the playerbase of a game over time without a PvP component unless there's some other "sandbox" component to the gameplay like building stuff (Roblox, Minecraft etc) which is infinitely scalable for the player. Even if they release expansions with their version of space elves or whatever the playerbase will burn through that content faster than they can develop it unless they add a longer-term hook to the game.

Fairgames is going to have a similar cycle if it's just Sony's version of Payday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom