• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

reinking

Gold Member
Austin Powers Reaction GIF
You made me laugh you silly popsicle.

SLB1904

Banned
Coming from someone who pays to keep Final Fantasy from being on Xbox is some of the biggest bullshit I ever heard, what a crybaby.
is final fantasy popular on Xbox? How many Japanese games skip Xbox just because?

Well yes. He puts his games on PC and on any display via cloud streaming.

Isn’t that incredibly clear?
LMFAO
the excuses people find to defend Phills lies.
''well yes it put his games on xbox''

again I'm not against exclusivity in fact i hate the fake kumbaya shit that we are all friends and play together bullshit. exclusivity drives better games instead of bloat crap just keep making money of the bigger user base as much as possible.
just call it what it is instead of trying to speak in caveats and shit.

Every company wants to kill the competition, that's a fact! that's why there are laws against monopoly. don't believe for a split of a sec that sony or Microsoft give a shit about each other

PJX

we say this, but how do you know that? how do you know it wasn't Squares decision?

There have been many cases where they just choose to put it only on PS, also games like SF5 were partly funded by PS - you can thank them for some things even existing.
LOL you keep believing that BS. This is some funny shit.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
They both know CoD sells boxes and is a major mover of product and digital sales. To take it exclusive would not decimate Sony but it would limit their ability to compete in the FPS space. It would be a killer exclusive for Xbox and all parties know it. CoD must make Sony a ton of money because they sound worried.

MS should offer them CoD with the stipulation that they get half the cut of all sales.

It is business not niceness and the game is tough.

SLB1904

Banned
Remember that "timed" FFVII Remake exclusive that became permanently exclusive?

Hell, they even advertised it on the box of the PS4 version.
80391552badbd52ebb5a92ff744009e7_620_KR.jpg
who told you they were talking about xbox?
it literally says there
'' play first on ps4'' then after on pc lol

people just assume it would come to xbox and switch without evidence

dotnotbot

I exaggerated a little, but I’m pretty sure I remember him saying games should not be tied to a plastic box or something like that and counter what gaming is all about. Unless I misunderstood, to me that sounds like he doesn’t like the idea of exclusives being tied to a particular platform.

https://wccftech.com/xbox-phil-spencer-next-gen-exclusives-counter-to-what-gaming-is-about/amp/

Clever wording is Phil's biggest weapon. Most of gamers indeed read this as "I think exclusives are bad" but in reality he never said that. That's his shifty tactic on how to appear as a good guy while never saying anything obliging and substantial.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sweet Jesus will anyone give a fuck about COD by then? SURELY the fucking industry will be able to create something better by then.
I was playing Modern Warfare in 2007 when I was 15 years old. I’m 30 now and CoD has arguably gotten bigger and bigger in the years in between. What on earth makes you think it’ll be dead in 6 years time?

Listen, I just don’t think Sony is some knight in shining armour here, they’ve pulled some real douche moves and they’ve been excluding gamers with exclusive deals the last decade or so. And Sony literally bought the biggest european publisher when they started Playstation.
You reap what you sow.

I’m not justifying anything MS are doing though, but I like that the cat out the bag on their plans so people can plan ahead, being vague is a shitty thing when people are having increasing costs in their lives and might not be able to have multiple consoles.

Sony is big though, they can handle getting some heat on their ass, no need to worry there, they’ll just do better when they’re getting concerned. Nintendo should get some heat as well, they’re clearly sleeping.
Isn’t Nintendo on top right now or at least close to it? They also taken over Japan so I think they are doing pretty good.

jaysius

Banned
I was playing Modern Warfare in 2007 when I was 15 years old. I’m 30 now and CoD has arguably gotten bigger and bigger in the years in between. What on earth makes you think it’ll be dead in 6 years time?
I dunno, 6 years seems like a long time, they barely change anything, while there are a few FPS games that are innovating(but very little).

When you put it like that, it makes me realize how odd it is though, that nobody has been able to topple it in all those years.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man, I've missed the real console wars from the Nintendo VS Sega days when gaming companies were constantly at each other's throats instead of being lame and pretending to just want everyone to have fun together. We're back boys! Lol.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Even if the game was going to sell drastically less on Xbox compared to PS, it makes absolutely zero sense not to release it on Xbox consoles unless they are instructed/paid not to.
Square released the SaGa remasters on Xbox and I think 4 people bought those.

SLB1904

Banned
So why is Crisis Core coming to Xbox but the main game is not?
probably 2 reasons, sony money-hat or square Enix thought it wasn't worth porting the game to Xbox.
cant think of anything else.
i mean Japanese games not released on Xbox aren't something unheard of. Microsoft is probably paying to get games ported to Xbox. Xbox is non existent in japan.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I dunno, 6 years seems like a long time, they barely change anything, while there are a few FPS games that are innovating(but very little).

When you put it like that, it makes me realize how odd it is though, that nobody has been able to topple it in all those years.
It is a long time as we’ve seen with games like Halo collapsing in a smaller time span - however CoD and FIFA are like Pokémon for Neanderthals. They’re pretty entrenched at this point no matter how good or crap they are.

Sweet Jesus will anyone give a fuck about COD by then? SURELY the fucking industry will be able to create something better by then.
I doubt COD will die anytime soon. At the rate the industry is going in, I don’t have the confidence that these AAA developers can create anything better. There’s a reason why we are getting remakes and remasters over and over again and it seems like even COD is following the same path with their remakes.

Last edited:
I understand that COD is an absolute juggernaut in terms of development costs (1000s of devs and multiple teams) and mindshare, but at this point exactly what does Sony have to loose by coming up
with a competitor and marketing it like they do their biggest single player games? They need to start somewhere. Hell, COD started from the bottom at some point too.

Kagey K

Banned
So with MS's current commitment Sony is looking at no COD on PS consoles after 2028?
I dont know if that current condition holds any weight anymore since Jim supposedly rejected it, but yes provided it stays annual, it would have ran to 27 or 28.

93xfan

Banned
Maybe they can revive their solid shooters like Socom & Killzone or even get Factions to play out long-term it's all up to Sony's Studios can't blame Phil for taking CoD. Let's be honest since CoD has had Playstation exclusivity for events & branding it hasn't gone well CoD was and will always be associated with Xbox.
Socom revival would be amazing!! Was just thinking that.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I like how some of you acting as if MS never locked any exclusives for Xbox, remember GTA4 expansions? Rise Of Tomb Raider? And recently Stalkers 2. But no let's just pretend only Sony lock 3rd party exclusives lmao.

Here is about buying entire big 3rd party that has been historically releasing games for Playstation and where they have half their fanbase, just bought in One night by uncle Phil with its billions from Papa Satya and remove the games from all other plateform, mainwhile the Phil acting like it's not the case just to lure people so they can finish the aquisition deal.

I mean i don't even care about Acti, they can keep those COD excluisve on Xbox i won't care it's not a franchise i care much about, but now at least MS is showing their true face with those nasty lies.

Y’all acting like you never seen Phil Spencer before

Jaws all on the floor, buying out major publishers galore

Even though they’re getting their ass whooped by Sony worse than before

Throwin them over furniture

It’s the return of the “ah wait, no way, you’re kidding? He didn’t go purchase Activision after grabbing Bethesda now, did he?”

And Jim Ryan said, nothing you idiots, Jim Ryan’s CoD dream is dead it’s locked up and exclusive (ha ha)

slim shady kiss GIF

Last edited:
probably 2 reasons, sony money-hat or square Enix thought it wasn't worth porting the game to Xbox.
cant think of anything else.
i mean Japanese games not released on Xbox aren't something unheard of. Microsoft is probably paying to get games ported to Xbox. Xbox is non existent in japan.
Xbox Series X/S has actually outsold PS5 for a couple of few weeks this year which would have been unthinkable in any prior generation.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah I know but he’s been dodging some answers too, for PR reasons as usual since he don’t like controversial. I just don’t agree with the use of the term ”permanently”. For all we know any exclusivity can eventually go away. Short term I can agree that The Elder Scrolls has been taken away from big groups of gamers. But short term that has happened with Final Fantasy as well. What’ll happen when looking at things long term we can’t know, Final Fantasy XVII might come to Xbox and The Elder Scrolls VII might come to Playstation. It’s an ever evolving market.

93xfan

Banned
we say this, but how do you know that? how do you know it wasn't Squares decision?

There have been many cases where they just choose to put it only on PS, also games like SF5 were partly funded by PS - you can thank them for some things even existing.
Hope MS keeps it multi platform and uses CoD as leverage to get games like the ones mentioned on Xbox. More games for everyone!!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
COD is like the GTA of its genre.
Other companies dont try and mimic it because its expensive, hard and risky.

Like at killzone Shadowfall or even Halo infinite, being the top shooter aint easy.

On the face of it that's because this is the only thing currently inked. It's all conjecture until MS finalizes the deal and can promise something new further in the future. As of now, it's all talk.

Gudji

I understand that COD is an absolute juggernaut in terms of development costs (1000s of devs and multiple teams) and mindshare, but at this point exactly what does Sony have to loose by coming up
with a competitor and marketing it like they do their biggest single player games? They need to start somewhere. Hell, COD started from the bottom at some point too.
They're already making multiple GaaS titles so who knows.

Banjo64

cumsessed

It’s the return of the “ah wait, no way, you’re kidding? He didn’t go purchase Activision after grabbing Bethesda now, did he?”

And Jim Ryan said, nothing you idiots, Jim Ryan’s CoD dream is dead it’s locked up and exclusive (ha ha)

slim shady kiss GIF

ImpartialConsiderateAmericankestrel-size_restricted.gif

SLB1904

Banned
yeah i would rather sony try to come up with something on their own. just like they try to get a halo competitor with killzone and resistance. we can argue all day if they failed and bla bla. at the end of the day i had a blast with this 2 franchises. try new shit instead of relying on a 20-year-old franchise.

SSfox

slim shady kiss GIF

I know Phil, specially since the day i've seen this video

The video got deleted tho. From 2013/2014. He was saying something like Xbox is the only place where you can play COD and Destiny

Maybe they can revive their solid shooters like Socom & Killzone or even get Factions to play out long-term it's all up to Sony's Studios can't blame Phil for taking CoD. Let's be honest since CoD has had Playstation exclusivity for events & branding it hasn't gone well CoD was and will always be associated with Xbox.

I think they need a new IP entirely.

yeah i would rather sony try to come up with something on their own. just like they try to get a halo competitor with killzone and resistance. we can argue all day if they failed and bla bla. at the end of the day i had a blast with this 2 franchises. try new shit instead of relying on a 20-year-old franchise.

Sony has to know at this point that heavy reliance on certain 3rd party titles is not the best idea. They 100% need to self sustain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom