• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Gudji

That’s hearsay

img.gif
Wtf :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Imagine believing a false equivalence buying a publisher to 3rd party timed exclusives
It’s funny the people who always trot your line out are the same people never impacted by those times exclusives.

FF7 remake is obviously an….adequate length for a timed exclusive, Forspoken? 2 years? Adequate. Year long content exclusives in COD? Oh yes….that’s been enjoyable as well.

All Microsoft strategy has always been a monopoly. They fucking don't care about games, whose delivery is close to abysmal from MGS. You just need to see how they operate outside gaming business. How can someone be fooled by Phil's is the good guy". He's not. He's just the representant of a global megacorp monopoly.

modiz

All Microsoft strategy has always been a monopoly. They fucking don't care about games, whose delivery is close to abysmal from MGS. You just need to see how they operate outside gaming business. How can someone be fooled by Phil's is the good guy". He's not. He's just the representant of a global megacorp monopoly.
Bingo!

Three

No, it wasn't done before because it was too expensive. There's no indication it's bad for the health of the market. And let's not pretend Microsoft is the only one investing billions when there are companies like Facebook, Amazon, Google and Tencent are around. It's just Sony that doesn't play in the same league because they don't have that much money as the big fishes.

MS didn't only just start getting rich in 2018. It wasn't done before because people don't understand the reasons it's happening and would rather try and paint MS, a trillion dollar company, as a victim who's only retaliating. It's stupid but the fanboy PR has really worked to paint MS as some wounded dog fighting back.

This has everything to do with the health of the market too. It's why these proposals need to be made in the first place for those saying what's it got to do with another company. That's why it's so different to exclusivity deals which MS themselves were and are still participating in. It affects market competition and competition laws come into play.

The shift to buying up studios and big publishers was a strategy change from MS and it happened around the time they launched their subscription service. Phil despite all he says about exclusivity had and still has timed exclusivity deals (more with mp online games and indie) but around 2018 was their turning point to mainly acquisitions.

A subscription service needs content and despite the usual fanboys trying to again paint MS as a victim and blame Sony for lack of third party games on gamepass, third parties are not that interested in forgoing sales and releasing on a sub unless they are getting very big lump sums from MS or are releasing GaaS games with heavy mtxs. In most cases with the latter they just go f2p anyway. MS decided they need to start buying studios for content because trying to convince them to stop selling games or limit the audience for their GaaS game is going to be very costly in the long run anyway. The issue is that now they are buying up a lot of the industry and they have a lot of scrutiny from competition law especially in regard to subscriptions and cloud gaming.

Sony then bought the studios that it's reliant on for their own IPs knowing they are at risk and new and porting studios for their own expansion into GaaS and PC ports.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Hurt people, hurt people.
Schadenfreude is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

Failures or humiliation of another, you know exactly what I meant when I posted that. But here we are engaging in meaningless conversation. Back to the point I really mean Roxkis, you are correct no one is getting “hurt”

But lots of people seem happy about one corporation having an advantage over another corporation somehow. It’s hilarious 😂

Gamerguy84

It
>Cucks other consoles out of FF
>Cucks spiderman too
>cries like a little bitch when getting cucked

Come on jimbo...
They didnt cuck SM. It was never coming out on xbox. Meanwhile MS took two entire publishers IPs that were guarsnteed to be on xbox and PS and bought them.

All you guys painting MS as being in fightback mode need to remember the PS360 gen. MS was famous for moneyhatting and timed exclusives.

Yea Sony began doing it as well then MS said HMB dropping 70 billion.

Ozriel

M$FT
You mean the Psygnosis that continued to act independently and published games on Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64 and Windows?

A handful of late ports, with the vast majority of their subsequent games being PlayStation and windows only.

Something tells me you won’t be perfectly fine with this level of multiplatform commitment from Activision post acquisition.

so when Jim buys studios to keep games or pays for them to be exclusive its ok? if Microsoft do it then its not ok?
  1. Not the same thing!
  2. One acquisition is bigger so it's impossible to compare
  3. Phil is a liar
  4. Phil is ugly
  5. MS should fund their own studios
  6. Phil smells bad
  7. SQEX isn't interested in putting FFVII on Xbox because Xbox sucks so much, not Sony's fault
  8. MS is a joke with a no games a monopoly that will swallow the entire games industry

1. Not the same thing!
  3. Phil is a liar
  4. Phil is ugly
  6. Phil smells bad
  7. SQEX isn't interested in putting FFVII on Xbox because Xbox sucks so much, not Sony's fault
  8. MS is a joke with a no games a monopoly that will swallow the entire games industry

Agree with everything except 6. He's got nice BO

daninthemix

You're posts on that page alone are embarrassing.

It's amazing how people are still championing this because Sony sought exclusive deals as tough luck. Both Xbox and Sony have always done this

I've even seen posts blaming the purchase on Sony buying insomniac..is this a joke? Sony only started buying developers because Xbox did.

lie dispenser Phil decided to spend 80 billion to permanently block gamers from accessing games and he's been worshiped as a hero for it, while he lies and twists words like a clown who can't give an honest answer.

You don't spend 70 billion to not make it exclusive. Just have some balls and admit it from the start instead of pathetic word play of more choice for gamers.
Straight out of the Microsoft playbook, can't win so buy our the competition. If they're about making profit then it will take 20 years + to see a return on that total of 80 billion, Phil will probably be dead by then.
Man you're angry. Do you even play COD?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
  1. Not the same thing!
  3. Phil is a liar
  4. Phil is ugly
  6. Phil smells bad

always the same, a game off a console is a game off a console lol.

sainraja

^^ Based on reading some comments here, it would have been really interesting to see the types of arguments some people would be making here if Sony was the one who purchased A&B. Why do conversations have to be like political parties? You don't need to speak party line lingo. If it's bad when Sony does it, it's also bad when Microsoft does it and vice versa. You all can discuss possible outcomes — good or bad but there is no point in trying to say one company is an angel or isn't as bad as the other.

Last edited:

Gone

Banned

It's amazing how people are still championing this because Sony sought exclusive deals as tough luck. Both Xbox and Sony have always done this

I've even seen posts blaming the purchase on Sony buying insomniac..is this a joke? Sony only started buying developers because Xbox did.

lie dispenser Phil decided to spend 80 billion to permanently block gamers from accessing games and he's been worshiped as a hero for it, while he lies and twists words like a clown who can't give an honest answer.

You don't spend 70 billion to not make it exclusive. Just have some balls and admit it from the start instead of pathetic word play of more choice for gamers.
Straight out of the Microsoft playbook, can't win so buy our the competition. If they're about making profit then it will take 20 years + to see a return on that total of 80 billion, Phil will probably be dead by then.
And Sony bought Naughty Dog and many others before, so what's the difference?

Your mistake is thinking that Microsoft cares about the money.

Lmao so Sony can buy studios and Microsoft buying studios is not ok ? Cause they didn’t start them from scratch? Well looking at Microsoft recent history they started 343 from scratch and the coalition from scratch and one of those is a doing their best the other is struggling there’s challenges to starting studios from scratch. Where as established studios you don’t have to hire for already exist and available what’s wrong with buying them? Or is it only ok when Sony buys things cause it’s for the players?
There is a big difference in buying studio's ore buying complete publishers with many studios and many franchises under they're belt....

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
And Sony are the good innocent guys who raised prices to 70$ and giving you an embarrassing excuse like "our games are so cool we can't release them on a subscription service" to fool you and you eat it up.

I would take Microsoft's way of doing things over this bullshit any day of the week.

boomcrab

I just got off of work and boy did i walk into a mess lol.
In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, I'm glad to see Jim kind of calling them out like this. I don't really see it as whining or crying, and respect his decision on saying something, as you cant really be a CEO and passively make statements like these. It makes me view him a little differently.

CeeJay

It

They didnt cuck SM. It was never coming out on xbox. Meanwhile MS took two entire publishers IPs that were guarsnteed to be on xbox and PS and bought them.

All you guys painting MS as being in fightback mode need to remember the PS360 gen. MS was famous for moneyhatting and timed exclusives.

Yea Sony began doing it as well then MS said HMB dropping 70 billion.
Deathloop and Ghostwire say hi.

You’re one of the biggest clowns I’ve ever seen on this site hands down. You’re literally defending MICROSOFT 😂😂😂

vW3vpHL.jpg
If they try and go cloud only, or subscription only I'll be criticizing.

But they're ironically better at backwards compatibility currently and are better stewards of preserving things I've actually bought; reinforcing ownership.

That could change eventually, and then I'll criticize it then. Part of the genius of their sub and cloud roleout is that it's entirely optional.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
And Sony are the good innocent guys who raised prices to 70$ and giving you an embarrassing excuse like "our games are so cool we can't release them on a subscription service" to fool you and you eat it up.
Excuses?! That's a real and legitimate benefit - I wish I could pay like, $90 for the majesty of a Sony first party game.

VqCktuS.png

/s

Last edited:

splattered

"You people don't understand that there's a difference between Sony buying studios and Microsoft buying an entire publisher" ... yeah, the difference is Sony CAN'T afford to buy large publishers, otherwise they probably would have throughout their history. Don't be mad because Microsoft is doing what Sony can't. Neither of these corporations are your friends, quit defending them. This is all business on both sides of the fence good or bad and you have ZERO input or control over the situation. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

tmlDan

Do people think that Phil is going to sign a contract that says CoD will never leave PlayStation? lol.... Sony can continue to negotiate with MS after the 3 years is up to keep CoD on PlayStation.
I think you're misconstruing things a bit, it's not about whether MS is willing but they may be forced to by regulatory bodies like the CMA/FTC etc. to do so in order to make the deal go through.

I am not sure what power they have in terms of length but it could be 5 years instead of 3 of absolute parity and non-exclusivity, we just don't know yet. That's the whole reason Jim even spoke publicly, it wasn't to have a kiddy war with Phil personally based on public comments, it's to put pressure on regulatory authorities cause this information was stated and redacted (until Phil went public) in the hearings.

Gone

Banned
You’re one of the biggest clowns I’ve ever seen on this site hands down. You’re literally defending MICROSOFT 😂😂😂

vW3vpHL.jpg

Sr7w2jq.png

"You're defending SONY 🤣😭🤣"

It's actually laughable how Sony fans view them as some kind of a holy company who exist to make everything right in the industry that's according to them, full of greed, and yet they fail to see how Sony are fucking them day in, day out.

Lasha

It's weird to take the high road then spout the "80 years" nonsense. Microsoft sees a return from day 1 if the business is profitable. Activision doesn't become worthless for the sake of your hyperbole.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Sr7w2jq.png

"You're defending SONY 🤣😭🤣"

It's actually laughable how Sony fans view them as some kind of a holy company who exist to make everything right in the industry that's according to them, full of greed, and yet they fail to see how Sony are fucking them day in, day out.
I’m not defending SONY

I don’t want any more of this nonsensical mergers and acquisitions. I wish we could have stayed in the status quo man. Enjoy your shitty subscription service AA games going forward.

Three

Microsoft isn't providing that guarantee for nothing though. What did they expect in return?
For the deal to go through without any concerns by saying they wrote and agreed to terms with those affected. People forget that MS is currently still trying to get the acquisition to go through and doesn't own them yet.

MS has to give proposals that commit to not using the acquisition to harm rivals and new entrants. The CMA for one has directly asked for a proposal from MS. It's a lot better to be able to say we have commitments/proposals to continue releasing COD on other platforms. They tried to get out ahead on that concern but it seems it wasn't adequate.

I’m not defending SONY

I don’t want any more of this nonsensical mergers and acquisitions. I wish we could have stayed in the status quo man. Enjoy your shitty subscription service AA games going forward.
The status quo was not ideal though for me. Sony was running laps around MS, and Xbox One was a flaming disaster. The end result is Sony feeling emboldened to raise prices now.

As far as AAA games, all by themselves they're becoming increasingly risk averse, and homogenous as development times increase and budgets balloon. Sony has been putting out cross gen games for a few years now. Subs might be the last hope we have for AA games to find an audience, besides the Switch which is a software selling juggernaut.

Subs don't threaten AAA games. AAA games are on unstable footing all by themselves. Unreal 5 isn't even fully done yet and it's almost 3 years into this gen.

Top Bottom