• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please Validate Desire to Get a Game Despite Having to Run on Low Settings:DAO

I'm really tempted to get Dragon Age Origins for the PC, I had the PS3 version, but I was never able to finish due to school work and I eventually sold it (since even with a used copy I could still access all my content that I got for buying it new).

I know it would be low to med at best, but I've played games like World in Conflict on low settings and at 15-30 fps so I can deal with a slow chug, plus I can pause which negates slowdown issues.

As you can see I don't exactly have a hardcore gaming rig.:lol

Though I have to say even when I ran the ME2 Demo on low 800X600 settings in windowed mode (so I didn't have to exit and restart to change the res), the game still looked wonderful and ran at a very nice speed. Granted it had the benefit of feedback on engine optimization that DA2 will have, but DA obviously couldn't have.

So with these specs can and what I've said can you in good faith validate my desire? :D
------------------
Time of this report: 7/11/2010, 12:52:50
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: N80Vb
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 1617MB used, 6570MB available
Windows Dir: C:\\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9300M GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\\PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_06E9&SUBSYS_19B21043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2287 MB
Dedicated Memory: 495 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: LPL0129
Native Mode: 1280 x 800(p) (60.005Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0011.9716 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.11.9716
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/16/2010 20:01:53, 11913832 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Game looks pretty good and runs decent in my MBP 2,2 (2.33 CD2, 2GB's RAM, ATI x1600) in Windows on 720p, Med and I imagine it'll look better on your rig. Go for it.

Killthee

Some screenshots of the game in 720p Med, 2x AA on my shitty x1600.

Cinematics

i9lKM.jpg

dR2B2.jpg

M9kZ8.jpg

pmO7S.jpg

gQRLB.jpg

Gameplay

ahPoZ.jpg

hREi8.jpg

ApR2o.jpg

slBld.jpg

g28p2.jpg

And like I said it runs pretty good, it definitely looks better than the PS3 version and during it's lowest dips it runs no worse than the PS3 version. The only issue I have, and I think this has more to do with the shitty cooling on my MacBook Pro than anything else, is that my GPU gets really hot and on hot days I start to get artifacts after playing for some time.

~Kinggi~

Banned
kamspy said:
Even at low settings it's leagues better than the console versions.

This isnt true at all.

But id say Dragon Age is probably one of the better games to get if you only have a low end system. Unfortunately that also means the game isnt that great looking even when maxed out. Hopefully DA 2 is more appropriate to the level of hardware out there.

Killthee said:
Some screenshots of the game in 720p Med, 2x AA on my shitty x1600.

Cinematics

Gameplay

And like I said it runs pretty good, it definitely looks better than the PS3 version and during it's lowest dips it runs no worse than the PS3 version.
Wow, that looks pretty nice looking. I'm impressed that it still runs so well.

Killthee said:
The only issue I have, and I think this has more to do with the shitty cooling on my MacBook Pro than anything else, is that my GPU gets really hot and on hot days I start to get artifacts after playing for some time.
My wife would like that, it's like a parental lock. :lol

comrade

Parallax Scroll said:
Now why couldn't that have been in the OP?
I have the game and wasn't sure what he was talking about.

Also OP your PC doesn't seem that bad. Should play decently on medium.

zoku88 said:
Because it was obvious?

And a commonly used acronym for the game...

That and I didn't have any space left. I figured it was commonly used enough too.

~Kinggi~ said:
This isnt true at all.

But id say Dragon Age is probably one of the better games to get if you only have a low end system. Unfortunately that also means the game isnt that great looking even when maxed out. Hopefully DA 2 is more appropriate to the level of hardware out there.

Well I'm hoping it will benefit from the type of engine optimization from all the user data and feedback they got, like with ME2, which runs a lot better on a old system, and improved the pop in problem a lot.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
That and I didn't have any space left. I figured it was commonly used enough too.
Hey, if the thread title runs out of space that is totally understandable. But the message body has all the space in the world.

Not trying to be a dick, but no matter how well-known you think an acronym is, a portion of your readers are going to thinking "WTF?" when they see it.

DogWelder

~Kinggi~ said:
This isnt true at all.

He definitely meant gameplay. In which case he's spot on. It's a totally different (inferior) game on consoles.

Parallax Scroll said:
Hey, if the thread title runs out of space that is totally understandable. But the message body has all the space in the world.

Not trying to be a dick, but no matter how well-known you think an acronym is, a portion of your readers are going to thinking "WTF?" when they see it.
I know. :) Part of the problem was I pasted this is from a different forum I asked it at (I always like to get multiple opinions) and I never thought to change it. Dully noted.

Killthee

I recall using that, but I was under the impression it couldn't really be used as a gauge for performance for some reason I can't remember.
You're probably right, I think it ran worse than the final build.

DogWelder

KZObsessed said:
It couldn't possibly look or run worse than the PS3 copy you had so go for it and enjoy!
Yes it could. And it will. OP, you are gonna have to play @ 800x600 on low settings if you want to play without it looking like a slideshow.

DogWelder

Actually it's worse than I thought:

Andreas Papathanasis wrote...

I'm not sure what mobile notebook cards we'll officially support (typically what you see in most games is a disclaimer "mobile versions of these video cards may work but are not officially supported"), but for whatever it's worth, the game run respectably on my exact same laptop as yours, except I had the NVIDIA 9300M. The GPU was by far the biggest bottleneck, I run most of the game using the medium detail setting, but was willing to play between 10-15 frames a second. Playing at the low detail setting with that video card made it noticeably better, but still there were frequent cases when it dropped under 15. So I'd expect it will work on your video card, and quite a bit better than what I got.

Edit: Forgot to say I was running at 800x600 and without post-processing effects, that video card's fill rate is not nearly as good as the desktop versions
This is from a BioWare dev.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah i agree that your video card is going to be an issue. Everything else with your system is fine. Is your computer a pre-built like a Dell or whatever? If so, whats the model number?

My video card died a month or two ago and i replaced it with a Galaxy nvidia GT 240 for $60. Bought it new at Frys and it runs better, runs cooler, takes up less space, and uses less power than my old 8600 GTS. If you plan on doing any kind of gaming with your system, i would say that $60 is well worth it.

esc said:
Actually it's worse than I thought:

This is from a BioWare dev.

Thanks, I remember seeing this post when the game came out but I completely forgot about it. Thanks for reposting it.

Hmm, that's actually not too bad, I mean if it looks as nice as ME2 did on those settings, then I'm fine on the graphics level.

I wonder if newer drivers have improved the overall FPS at all or if even he played a final version? I've dealt with crap FPS in PC games all the time, so I may not even have issues with it or notice it :lol I know, I know, that's not a good thing. Its like the computer gaming equivalent of saying cereal with water isn't different then using milk.:lol

water_wendi said:
Yeah i agree that your video card is going to be an issue. Everything else with your system is fine. Is your computer a pre-built like a Dell or whatever? If so, whats the model number?

My video card died a month or two ago and i replaced it with a Galaxy nvidia GT 240 for $60. Bought it new at Frys and it runs better, runs cooler, takes up less space, and uses less power than my old 8600 GTS. If you plan on doing any kind of gaming with your system, i would say that $60 is well worth it.

It's an Asus system from Best Buy. I'm pretty sure there is not a way to replace the graphics processor.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It's an Asus system from Best Buy. I'm pretty sure there is not way to replace the graphics processor.
Oh nevermind.. notebook. Didnt see the model number when i read the OP. Sorry about that.

That's the best looking medium setting game I've ever seen. Can my computer run it like that?

Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
3GB RAM
8600M GT
Win 7 32-bit

ChoklitReign said:
That's the best looking medium setting game I've ever seen. Can my computer run it like that?

Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
3GB RAM
8600M GT
Win 7 32-bit

Depends on the clockspeed in that 8600M, but judging by my experience. Absolutely.

Good news! It works I can run it at 1200X780 with medium texture settings and it seems fine in tactical mode. I just need to dig up a mouse somewhere as I can't get past the tutorial since my laptop touchpad "mouse wheel" doesn't seem to be working. Still I'm relieved it's running and seemingly at acceptable speed and graphics.

Top Bottom