• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pointless but fun question of the day!

Will Sony show us a new 1st-party game at the game awards?

• I believe in miracles

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • There is more chance of Elon Musk flying to the moon on a cream egg

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters

Markio128

Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm still holding out for a Playstation Experience event before the end of the year.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Astro Bot or bust
That silly little Astro Bot game that came with the PS5 quickly and unexpectedly became the IP I care about most from Sony. I want a full PS5 (or PSVR2) game so badly now.

It’s one of the only non-Nintendo games that really felt like it had that “Nintendo magic” and detail. That shit that just makes you smile and feel like a kid again. I love that game.

GHound

I voted for the bottom option because it's the obvious outcome in lieu of the missing "I'd rather they didn't."

Bring on the third party bangers.

nial

Gold Member
They literally made a remake of a 2013 game last year. And a remake of another 7th gen game back in 2020.
I don't know how the year of the original game is in any way relevant to the discussion, but remind me how many remakes Nintendo has released this gen?

I don't know how the year of the original game is in any way relevant to the discussion, but remind me how many remakes Nintendo has released this gen?
The problem isn't just that they make a lot of remakes, it's also that the remakes aren't that neccessary since the source content are relatively modern games which hold up just fine. Usually you make remakes of games from the NES era to the PS2 era which would benefit more from technological advancements. There is hardly anythnig to even improve on with a game like TLOU apart from slightly better graphical details and a frame rate bump. MGS3 on the other hand is an example of a justifiable remake.

Dazraell

Well, technically there is a chance for that standalone God of War Ragnarok expansion that was rumored a few weeks back. Same rumor said it was supposed to be announced before year's end

As for other 1st party games, it's possible but given Sony's general silence on their games it's highly unlikely they will announce something new

Three

I don't think so. More likely to see Death Stranding 2, Wolverine, Helldivers, Concord, etc. They have already announced games they're more likely to want to show.

nial

Gold Member
The problem isn't just that they make a lot of remakes, it's also that the remakes aren't that neccessary since the source content are relatively modern games which hold up just fine. Usually you make remakes of games from the NES era to the PS2 era which would benefit more from technological advancements. There is hardly anythnig to even improve on with a game like TLOU apart from slightly better graphical details and a frame rate bump. MGS3 on the other hand is an example of a justifiable remake.
It's really hard to say what is and is not necessary, I mean, it seems to me a barebones remake of Link's Awakening (a Game Boy) is as much as cashgrab as it is the one of TLOU. In fact, it's pretty much the case with 90% of remakes over there, stuff like Resident Evil (2002) is the exception, not the norm.
You talk about "technological advancements", but is that enough? Do we really have to update every single old game over there?

Top Bottom