• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POLL: Do you actually *want* playable Zelda in Breath of the Wild 2?

Do you *want* playable Zelda in BotW2?

• Total voters

Cactuarman

Banned
Link is as iconic as Mario, which means, a lot. He is the hero of series and the avatar of courage.

Yeah, I don't want Nintendo to switch him for anyone.

Mario is iconic. That doesn't mean this badass dude can't star in his own game every now and then:

149786-games-review-hands-on-luigis-mansion-3-screens-image1-zwyhkrmwt1.jpg

It would mark a weak capitulation to the spirit of the moment, where everyone instantly demands all secondary or female characters have major action / hero-oriented yas queen moments in order to seem fair. Zelda doesn't need that--she's an intelligent and devoted member of the royalty and a scholar. Adventuring & combat isn't somehow better or stronger than what she already is, and would make this franchise indistinguishable from all the other fan-oriented trash out there in Marvel etc.

I get what you're saying but at the same time waiting another few years (or however long) for this "spirit of the moment" to pass also seems silly. I've been playing Legend of Zelda games for 30 years and I would love to play as Zelda for a game - especially the BotW or WW versions. The idea that Zelda leading a game would automatically make the entire franchise "indistinguishable" from other franchises seems pretty hyperbolic to me. As if Link being the main star is what makes The Legend of Zelda series so different from other "fan-oriented trash". I'm pretty sure the characters are stronger than that and following Zelda around for a game would still feel like a Legend of Zelda game.

Edit just so I can double-down:

This game would be awesome
latest

Last edited:
No cares given. Keep my dude link as the hero he always was. If she's essential to the story and even his success, that's badass. But wasn't she already VERY important in BOTW? She freaking contained calamity Ganon. If she has cool gameplay design, then awesome.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Mario is iconic. That doesn't mean this badass dude can't star in his own game every now and then:

149786-games-review-hands-on-luigis-mansion-3-screens-image1-zwyhkrmwt1.jpg

Sure. No problem with that. I don't have anything against Zelda being the protagonist of a spin-off. It can be even an opportunity to try new mechanics which would not be at home with Link as protagonist. Like Luigi's Mansion did.

Since she is the avatar of Wisdom and royalty, a strategy game where she leads an army against Ganon would be cool for example. Wisdom against Power, instead of Courage against Power.

But I prefer Link as the protagonist in the main games.

Last edited:
Don't really care. Zelda is cool enough to carry a game on her own assuming she plays very different from Link. I would be all for them having a full on second run style thing where you unlock her and she has all kinds of perks Link didn't have. I feel most outcry is from the representation for representation sake crowd though and I would guess the amount of people who genuinely care is tiny.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I just want to play as Link. I don’t need the onscreen character’s gender to match mine, nor do I care. It’s his series. It should always be his series. Zelda isn’t about a princess rising up to save her kingdom, it’s about a little unknown kid saving the world.

The former would be really cool. In a spin-off.

Likewise, I want a game designed around single-player first and foremost. Again, a Zelda game. If they hamfist a co-op mode in after, I’m fine with that, and that could even be cool seeing how adaptable the mechanics are. Under no circumstances though, do I want a repeat of RE5. Even Luigi’s Mansion 3 seems a little negatively impacted by the co-op focus, although not much.

I do think it would be cool if Zelda came along for the journey, like Spirit Tracks, and had some of her own sections. The friendship and humor between those two made for a wonderful Zelda story.

Gargus

Banned
I'd want link. He has been the face of the series and pretty much what makes a zelda game a zelda game even if it has her name in the title they are link games.

But honestly I don't care, I'm not buying it. I hated botw. It was soooooo boring and tedious to play. The world was boring, enemy variety sucked, everything just felt lifeless, I fucking hated the God damn breakable gear, I hated having to gather useless shit so I can craft stuff I didnt want to waste time with. I couldn't finish it. Then I realized that I don't like 3d zelda, I've never finished one but I'll play the hell out of a 2d zelda game.

Bakkus

No. Because it would be either one of these 3 things:

Optional playable character able to do the same exact things as Link only a pallette swap

This would not only make zero sense lore-wise and thus feel so out of place it would ruin the immersion, but is also gonna severley limit the story potential. The story of BOTW was my biggest disappointment with the game, and that would pretty much guarantee the same again.

She has her own playable parts of the game which plays differently from Link with her different abilities

Anyone who played the Sonic games from 1999-09 knows what a terrible idea this would be. Especially if they should take up a large chunk of the game. A sudden change of rules in video games is pretty much always met with huge controversy.

She is optionally playable from the get go with different abilities than Link. However, the entire world is built to accomodate that both Link and Zelda are able to traverse at least 90% of the game with just their own abilities

This would take way to long of a time to do well, and we're gonna be left with a game almost devoid of creativity.

I don't want her to be playable because they would have to make her an action character like Link, when that's not who Zelda is in those games. She's a spiritual, calming, peaceful presence. A passive character. She's a princess, she's royalty, she's not a soldier or a fighter. Not every woman in video games has to be an action badass like freakin' Sarah Connor.
Every Zelda is different. You can still have your old Zeldas, but you can also have new Zeldas. Just as you get different Links.

nkarafo

Nope.

Zelda is supposed to be the fragile princess in this story. Not the athletic boy with the fighting skills. Maybe she can have some parts where she is using magic or something. Or try to run away and hide from enemies. But such parts usually suck in other games.

Last edited:
Nope.

Zelda is supposed to be the fragile princess in this story. Not the athletic boy with the fighting skills. Maybe she can have some parts where she is using magic or something. Or try to run away and hide from enemies. But such parts usually suck in other games.
Being the "fragile princess" is the excuse for her to start from square 1 with no skills. You know, just like most Zelda games where Link start empty handed.

About damn time the Triforce of Wisdom get some canon lore, and what it can and cannot do. Having to play as a spellcaster is hardly a downgrade. We can then add the BotW Zelda back into Smash Bro's. Win-Win.

I will say this: I'd actually like if BotW2 basically rips off Pikmin 3.

You get to control both Link and Zelda. You can control one of them, meanwhile send the other one to walk to a certain spot on the map. This would immensely reduce running through 'empty' spaces, because just as you're done with one place, you switch characters and can continue elsewhere immediately. You could also send the other character to farm certain items. Or you could take her/him with you to aid in battle or simply carry more loot.

From this gameplay angle, I'd actually welcome playable Zelda. I only have two caveats:
1.) Zelda must have different abilities from Link's. No copypasting. Maybe if Link gets weird arm abilities in BotW2, Zelda could get the Shiekah slate for traditional abilities.
2.) Zelda can't use the Master Sword. That weapon can only be used by thee hero and I don't want that important part of the lore to be changed.

So, yeah ... if it's like that, I actually kinda want playable Zelda now :]

Last edited:
I trust Nintendo in making a great game and not making the game for the sole purpose of catering to certain groups. That's what ruined LiS 2 for me, the story is bullshit, the characters stereotypes etc.
If Nintendo wants to make a game with Zelda as the protagonist i would be ok with it and i'm sure they would make a great game with her, but it's not what i really want at the moment. But i wouldn't cry, Nintendo makes games around gameplay and not ideology or gender wars.

At this moment if you ask me i want to play with Link as the MC and Zelda have a bigger part in the story in the present (like i thought after watching the epic BotW 1 trailer), eventually meeting her a few times in the game or as an NPC that travells together with you. They could give her some Ciri parts if they want to experiment with her.

Perhaps Monolithsoft should make a Spin-off with Zelda as MC:
maxresdefault.jpg

Whatever it will be i can't wait to see a new BotW 2 trailer and hopefully it gets released next year.

Last edited:
I mostly want Zelda to be in the game more. In the previous games she's gone most of the time. That's boring. She could be an interesting character, and Link and Zelda could play off each other.

If Zelda becomes a playable character, I'd want her to play differently from Link. She doesn't have the triforce of courage after all. I don't want the game to be that much different in terms of gameplay either though, so Zelda would need to get a smaller role in that regard.

StormCell

I have no qualms with Zelda being a playable character.

I'll have a big problem with Linkle or any form of female Link that rescues a Princess Zelda with the two getting flirty with each other for inclusivity's sake.

Now, kindly, get off my lawn!

Kamina

Golden Boy
Gotta be honest: i really dont care.
However, there is no excuse other than story, to not have Zelda be playable.
I dont believe she will be playable.

Link's Awokening! Zelda could do all the action and Link could be used for all the forced stealth and gimmick moments.

Last edited:
Gotta be honest: i really dont care.
However, there is no excuse other than story, to not have Zelda be playable.
I dont believe she will be playable.
I genuinely believe there is room to showcase more than just the triforce of courage; I don't just want playable Zelda, I wish for one day to play as someone with the triforce of power. Either as young Ganondorf before he turned evil, or an alternate world where he never gotten triforce and the player got it.

The triforce is three in one. Wisdom and Power should be made playable at least once.

I don't see the point of the botw sequel being Link doing the same things all over again. Have triforce of wisdom flexing should not be seen as bad.

Handel

I wouldn't mind it if done well, but it's not something I specifically desire. I would prefer to just have her play a more direct part in the game than in most entries, at least to the level of Tetra in WW.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I could see other playable characters in a Zelda game, Majoras Mask for motivation how many characters were present in that game? I'm talking about the masks which are known as entirely different from the OG LINK. You got to play as Link. Period.

Mista

Banned
I don’t care. Let them make the game the way they want. Making Zelda a playable character isn’t going to add anything and I don’t think she’ll fit as a companion

GreenAlien

I don't want her replacing Link in a mainline game, but I wouldn't mind a companion game to Oot, where you play her starting from shortly before she has to flee the castle.. or Wind Waker spinoff with pirate-zelda xD

Last edited:

Doom85

I love the argument a few have made that Zelda is 'fragile" as if that makes her incapable of doing anything physical (also, some of the so-called "fragile" Zeldas went through some tough shit, christ one was a pirate! But nope, they're all "fragile" apparently...) Ah yes, but the ten year old boy that many versions of Link are being able to use weapons and tools as big as him if not bigger (and depending on the player be an instant expert with each one), that's totally logical!

Zelda in Breath of the Wild is as I described.
Link in BotW was recently resurrected without most of his powers. I have no idea what you are suggesting; are you saying you expect Zelda to have all her powers at maximum to start with if she was playable?

Yes, Zelda in BotW is physically frail. But so was naked Link with his THREE heart containers. The whole point of a videogame character is to start out weak and grow strong. Zelda being weak doesn't at all discount her capacity to be a player character.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Reminder that Link was specifically assigned to her as guard in the prior game. If she has any playable sections, it'd be full-on laughable if she can somehow handle combat. If she's playable, it needs to be an entirely different idea, unrelated to the usual fighting etc that characterizes Link's role.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the more zelda the better.

i think if they do make her playable then it will be something like Ciri in Witcher 3. so only during certain missions for a small section.

Reminder that Link was specifically assigned to her as guard in the prior game. If she has any playable sections, it'd be full-on laughable if she can somehow handle combat. If she's playable, it needs to be an entirely different idea, unrelated to the usual fighting etc that characterizes Link's role.
Naked Link with three hearts and armed with a stick isn't that good at combat either. Unless you are a speedrunner, your Link doesn't start out as a superhero. Zelda need buffs, but that is basically what playing as her is about. Why should Link be the only one to go through magical trials and earn special powers? Zelda can do the same. She is a Triforce owner too.

Just because the Triforce of Wisdom had been near useless all these decades, doesn't mean it had to stay useless forever.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Just because the Triforce of Wisdom had been near useless all these decades, doesn't mean it had to stay useless forever.

That's the thing... it hasn't been useless--Zelda accomplishes a great deal with her wisdom, making Link's quest possible--unless you try to measure it by the yardstick of Link's abilities, which are of the Triforce of Courage, an entirely different thing. The whole point of the Triforce is a balance of radically different forms of ability; if Wisdom comes to resemble Courage or Power, like it's just another fighting superpower, it's not wisdom at all.

That's the thing... it hasn't been useless--Zelda accomplishes a great deal with her wisdom, making Link's quest possible--unless you try to measure it by the yardstick of Link's abilities, which are of the Triforce of Courage, an entirely different thing. The whole point of the Triforce is a balance of radically different forms of ability; if Wisdom comes to resemble Courage or Power, like it's just another fighting superpower, it's not wisdom at all.
Of course Wisdom works differently, I am counting on it in fact. And that would lead to Zelda as a player character being different from Link. Unless you want BotW 2 to just be Link doing the exact same things all over again? You are going to strip Link's power away like every Metroid sequel does with Samus?

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Unless you want BotW 2 to just be Link doing the exact same things all over again? You are going to strip Link's power away like every Metroid sequel does with Samus?

I mean, that's basically the entire franchise to date, where you always start with very little and have to gain items / hearts. Granted, in this case he has gained some non-item powers in the last entry, but it'd be perfectly fine to let all of those expire, because it is reasonable to assume the 4 champions only loaned Link those abilities during the run-up to defeating Ganon.

iconmaster

Banned
if Wisdom comes to resemble Courage or Power, like it's just another fighting superpower, it's not wisdom at all.

In action games like Smash, Zelda is often represented as a spellcaster. The devs could decide magic is an outgrowth of wisdom in this universe.

It'd change the gameplay quite a bit from Breath of the Wild, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Of course Wisdom works differently, I am counting on it in fact. And that would lead to Zelda as a player character being different from Link. Unless you want BotW 2 to just be Link doing the exact same things all over again? You are going to strip Link's power away like every Metroid sequel does with Samus?

Would be cool if Zelda could possess enemies via telepathy and you get to control *every* enemy you see. Maybe allow it to be leveled up and eventually you can control even boss enemies :eek:

cabbage5k2

Sure. No problem with that. I don't have anything against Zelda being the protagonist of a spin-off. It can be even an opportunity to try new mechanics which would not be at home with Link as protagonist. Like Luigi's Mansion did.

Since she is the avatar of Wisdom and royalty, a strategy game where she leads an army against Ganon would be cool for example. Wisdom against Power, instead of Courage against Power.

But I prefer Link as the protagonist in the main games.

Fire Emblem x Legend of Zelda... actually sounds fairly badass.

Top Bottom