• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of The Wild 2 Gameplay patents explained and how The Zelda team will change the gameplay

Let's Go????

• Let's Fkn GO!!!!

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • Let's Fkn GO!!!!... but next year because this thing is gonna get delayed as F.

Votes: 28 50.0%

• Total voters

Ezquimacore

Banned
two interesting videos by "Monster Maze" explaining how Nintendo is developing new gameplay for botw 2.

Obviously time reversal is nothing new, not even new for zelda. But this video explain the difference in technology in this new patent by Nintendo compared to games like Prince of Persia and Braid, also gives a few examples on how Botw 2 will use the tech.

Short Clip

Full Video

botw2-patent2.900x.jpg

iTbncwm8TPvRGpANDsaYjn-480-80.jpg

nswitch-thesequeltothelegendofzeldabreathofthewild-09_h61q.jpg

This one explain how Link will be able to travel through ceilings/floors/walls. The patent gives a few example like, maybe you enter a cave and the only way out is to find the perfect spot, or maybe the only way to enter a house is through the floor.
Short Clip

Full Video

Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-2-patent-3818229.jpg

2d2ff5227120203e21a5902e5ccd8c64056d60ac.gifv

3dbd1937177404ed734053fe6e1298ed05f9868a.gifv

The third patent doesn't have a video but to me is really interesting, explain how the skyward sword free falling gameplay will be expanded to add combat and to control Link
EDIT: Added the skydiving video

0bpju9nbek581.jpg

ad5193fa2f5779cd6a5e02c13e76d07e44f548f0.gifv

I expect something similar to Just Cause 4
neogaf-jelly-rcm992x511.gif

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Patents in video gameplay seem like they would be bad for the industry, but interesting videos none the less.
I think is good to protect your unreleased games. But I don't think these patents last forever, for example Nintendo had the patent for the D-pad but not anymore, and that was way more important than this.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned

I've played this game before. It was called Braid.

Braid's tech rewinds the whole game like prince of persia, this patent is about a mechanic that rewinds objects/enemies/components while the game keeps going. Different code, different cache and different implementation. Also you can change the object before the rewind to have a different outcome. Watch the video.

Aldric

Those mechanics have immense potential. The phasing through stone is especially interesting, if as the first teaser implied there's indeed an entire cave network underneath Hyrule you could potentially jump off a sky island, free fall right into a cave entrance, explore underground for a while and then use the phasing mechanic to go back to the surface and back to the sky again rinse and repeat. It'd be like the climbing and parasailing loop and brilliant verticality of the first game only on a much greater scale, I don't know if they'll do something like that or if it's even possible with hardware limitations but that'd definitely justify the 5 years development time and the recycling of the map. Now I'm interested in the game again.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
The poll is missing the, "I could not care less," option. :)

But that kind of option is pointless because in order to justify it someone would have to care enough to not only click on the thread but also to take the time to cast a vote, thereby proving that not only do they care enough to participate, they also care enough to want to be seen to claim that they don't care. It'd be nothing more than a sourpuss poser's choice.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Cam this be used to reverse weapon degradation? Or was it confirmed that they got rid of that useless mechanic?
They probably gonna add the blacksmith from Hyrule warriors or some kind of potion to make weapons last longer. They're not going to remove that completely but I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows that's the biggest complaint up there with the lack of real dungeons.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Those mechanics have immense potential. The phasing through stone is especially interesting, if as the first teaser implied there's indeed an entire cave network underneath Hyrule you could potentially jump off a sky island, free fall right into a cave entrance, explore underground for a while and then use the phasing mechanic to go back to the surface and back to the sky again rinse and repeat. It'd be like the climbing and parasailing loop and brilliant verticality of the first game only on a much greater scale, I don't know if they'll do something like that or if it's even possible with hardware limitations but that'd definitely justify the 5 years development time and the recycling of the map. Now I'm interested in the game again.

Yes and to be fair with the same map they could also be able to add more life and details to the world too as there is less to reinvent in that area.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
I still find it distressing that 'the code' written to enable this established concept can be patented.

Nintendo would only know you copied it if they have your source code or, some fucking how, you have to surrender or expose it for them to audit.

I don't know how this works, I don't know how any of this works.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I still find it distressing that 'the code' written to enable this established concept can be patented.

Nintendo would only know you copied it if they have your source code or, some fucking how, you have to surrender or expose it for them to audit.

All you need to patent something like this is the money, and a different twist to the mechanics and a new code. Just a bit different. Games mostly stop time, reverse time or accelerate time. This one is reverse time on objects or elements while the time on everything else keeps going, with the possibility of changing the reversed scenario without a script.

Markio128

These things all sound great, but do they amount to fun and engaging gameplay, or frustrating pad-launching nonsense? Only time will tell. Either way, I’m really looking forward to the game.

arvfab

Banned
They probably gonna add the blacksmith from Hyrule warriors or some kind of potion to make weapons last longer. They're not going to remove that completely but I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows that's the biggest complaint up there with the lack of real dungeons.

As long as I don't have to carry duplicates of the same weapon and the weapon is not lost once it reaches 0 durability, I MIGHT be ok with it. Otherwise I will probably skip BOTW2 or wait for cheats again.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
But that kind of option is pointless because in order to justify it someone would have to care enough to not only click on the thread but also to take the time to cast a vote, thereby proving that not only do they care enough to participate, they also care enough to want to be seen to claim that they don't care. It'd be nothing more than a sourpuss poser's choice.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions. I don't care about BotW (1 or 2), but I do like polls. I want to participate in the poll, not in the pointless conversation of BotW and how overrated it will always be. I have participated in a lot of polls on NeoGAF, many of which are for things that I have no business in medling with. ;)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hopefully they can patent decent combat, meaningful loot, enemy variety and non-shitty boss\dungeons this time.
Agreed. Game had a lot of good things, but those could really use improvement.

Add a decent difficulty curve to the list too.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You're making an awful lot of assumptions. I don't care about BotW (1 or 2), but I do like polls. I want to participate in the poll, not in the pointless conversation of BotW and how overrated it will always be. I have participated in a lot of polls on NeoGAF, many of which are for things that I have no business in medling with. ;)
The Edge GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What Nintendo has done with Zelda is insane it’s the best mountain climbing game in the industry, what worries me is despite all these mechanics, climbing, shrines and patients I could see breath of the Wild 2 collapsing with game reviewers if they don’t follow the traditional Zelda format.

Ezquimacore

Banned
We already had a link to the past. Not interested
Every 3D Zelda game had a "time" aspect.

Ocarina of time: 7 years mechanic
Majora's Mask: 3 days mechanic
Wind Waker: master sword sealing Hyrule in time
Twilight princess: The real temple of time
Skyward sword: Sealed Temple and Temple of Hylia
Breath of the wild: Stasis

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

Clearly you could care less.

So your requested poll choice of "I could not care less" would be better and more honestly replaced with either

"I don't like this game and I NEED other people to know that I don't like this game"

or

"Participation medals have led me to click this in the hope of recognition regardless of contribution"

Raven117

Every 3D Zelda game had a "time" aspect.

Ocarina of time: 7 years mechanic
Majora's Mask: 3 days mechanic
Wind Waker: master sword sealing Hyrule in time
Twilight princess: The real temple of time
Skyward sword: Sealed Temple and Temple of Hylia
Breath of the wild: Stasis
Jokes. How do they work?

Buggy Loop

I love me some BOTW, but the through wall mechanic seems like a really mundane thing to patent? Like linear/predetermined portal? With a glowing spot, link animates as having resistance entering/exiting, that’s it? An official supported wall clipping with extra steps?

Ezquimacore

Banned
I love me some BOTW, but the through wall mechanic seems like a really mundane thing to patent? Like linear/predetermined portal? With a glowing spot, link animates as having resistance entering/exiting, that’s it? An official supported wall clipping with extra steps?
we really don't have information from Nintendo, the patent never gives you the full aspect of how they're gonna use it on gameplay. And considering the chemistry engine of breath of the wild I'm willing to bet the possibilities are going to be huge.

Notabueno

Banned
Nothing new, nothing really enjoyable in these mechanics, just adding a bit more nuance to puzzle and movement...

However the air fighting mechanics....hum, I'm intrigued.

AMSCD

The code is protected by copyright. The invention that is manifested by the code is protected by patents.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ubisoft develops games in record time, they could easily steal the shit out of this and release the next immortal fenyx rising before breath of the wild 2 lol.

Yeah I think they're enraged from the success of the mega hit Genshin and the well-received Fenyx. But still, gameplay patents? Well, it's business after all and each company should do their best to protect their inventions.

Top Bottom