• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll Shows Players Want Gears of War Above Halo as The Most Wanted Xbox Series on PlayStation

IDappa

This. It’s funny that people here dislike 3rd party narrative action games today yet look fondly back on Gears, because that type of game was literally the Gears of War series, and it was one of the pioneers of this style of game.

Scripted/Walking sequences and all.
Is it people disliking the genre or that they point out it’s a saturated genre on PlayStation these days?…..

rnyBfAS.jpeg

Lupin25

Is it people disliking the genre or that they point out it’s a saturated genre on PlayStation these days?…..

Yeah, but third-person isn’t a “genre”, it’s a camera perspective. Not all third-person games are created equally (ie. Suicide Squad & Batman: Arkham Knight). It’s just a hyperbolic statement.

I think the dislike stems from Sony not supporting as many studios who develop AA games anymore. They pretty much supplanted that pipeline with 2nd/3rd party published exclusives.

Arachnid

I personally prefer gears too. Love that series, and there is no shooter quite like it. Legit one of a kind multiplayer experience

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Gears might be trash now, but back on the 360 it was hands down the best console game going.

As a PC player it was the one console game I wanted.
And the best Gears game from the 360 did come over. :)

I wouldn't say it was the best console game (franchise) at that time, but arguably the best 3rd person action shooter.

Very intersting results. Gears was the first game I ever bought for the 360. I would love to use the chainsaw mechanic with the Dualsense. Getting some nostalgia from an Xbox franchise on Playstation hardware would be kind of crazy.

Mercedes Reaction GIF

IDappa

Yeah, but third-person isn’t a “genre”, it’s a camera perspective. Not all third-person games are created equally (ie. Suicide Squad & Batman: Arkham Knight). It’s just a hyperbolic statement.

I think the dislike stems from Sony not supporting as many studios who develop AA games anymore. They pretty much supplanted that pipeline with 2nd/3rd party published exclusives.
My mistake replace genre with perspective then, points the same.. They honestly could branch out a little more with a variety of experiences but I can appreciate that their games are high quality.

Skelterz

They should put Gears 5 on PS so everyone can see what they're not missing.
Yeah because the PS5 is just drowning in hardcore team based shooters with symmetrical map design and cover systems at the moment isn’t it, and hey isn’t naughty dog making a last of us online game soon! Yeah PS5 totally dosent need probably the best 3rd person multiplayer shooter with great gore on its platform your totally right.

Lupin25

My mistake replace genre with perspective then, points the same.. They honestly could branch out a little more with a variety of experiences but I can appreciate that their games are high quality.

That’s what we lost with devs like Japan Studios, sadly.

Sony found what stuck and never looked back.

Top Bottom