• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pregnant woman ran down a fleeing man 'who stole purse from her car' in Walmart

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article158773739.html

Video at the link.

A pregnant North Carolina woman is facing a charge of assault with a deadly weapon after she ran down a man accused of stealing her purse in the parking lot of an Asheville Walmart.

TV station WLOS says it happened at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday and when Christine Braswell, 26, walked up on a man who was rummaging through her SUV. The man has been identified by multiple media outlets as Robert Raines, 34, of Leicester.

Raines is charged with breaking and entering, larceny and damage to property, reported the Citizen-Times. And Braswell is charged with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon, according to the Asheville Police Department jail web site.

Social media seems to be on Braswell's side and lauded her for fighting back against an alleged crime.

”I'm sorry but he got what he deserved. Too much of this stuff happening. We need to fight back... The court system doesn't do anything but give them a little slap or better tap on the wrist," Teresa Ledbetter posted on Facebook.

”Not saying what she did was right, according to the letter of the law, but when you decide to commit a crime against another person, you do assume a certain amount of risk that that person may be crazier than you, and, as in this case, run you over with a red-orange SUV...He played a stupid game and they both won a stupid prize," Dave Conklin wrote.

”I would of done the same thing," posted Denise Swilling on Facebook. ”You know what is sad the way out system is she will probably get in more trouble than him that's crazy."

Talk about street justice.

2sGCtUB.gif

Oh she literally ran someone down with her car

I thought she like, RAN to catch up to him, which made me confused with her being arrested for assault.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Damn, I thought the title meant she chased him down on foot. I didn't think she literally drove into the guy! I was wondering why she would get in trouble for that though, so this makes more sense.

MsKrisp

Don't mess with a pregnant lady.

What she did was dumb though, she'll end up another locked up mother with that logic.

Dynomutt

Ha ha he will hold that L. She's crazy too though could've ended up different.

Damn, I thought the title meant she chased him down on foot. I didn't think she literally drove into the guy! I was wondering why she would get in trouble for that though, so this makes more sense.

Same would have been hilarious if she whooped up on him.

Quote of the Article:

”Not saying what she did was right, according to the letter of the law, but when you decide to commit a crime against another person, you do assume a certain amount of risk that that person may be crazier than you, and, as in this case, run you over with a red-orange SUV...He played a stupid game and they both won a stupid prize,"

Social media seems to be on Braswell’s side and lauded her for fighting back against an alleged crime.

“I'm sorry but he got what he deserved. Too much of this stuff happening. We need to fight back... The court system doesn’t do anything but give them a little slap or better tap on the wrist,” Teresa Ledbetter posted on Facebook.

“Not saying what she did was right, according to the letter of the law, but when you decide to commit a crime against another person, you do assume a certain amount of risk that that person may be crazier than you, and, as in this case, run you over with a red-orange SUV...He played a stupid game and they both won a stupid prize,” Dave Conklin wrote.

“I would of done the same thing,” posted Denise Swilling on Facebook. “You know what is sad the way out system is she will probably get in more trouble than him that's crazy.”

Humanity is a failed experiment.

mas8705

What sucks is that in spite of being a victim of theft, she can also be charged with "misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon." Yeah, the other guy may have deserved it, but it is still trying to run a guy over with your vehicle.

Who knows if this will be justified in court or not. As pointed out right above me, it is a shame that the victim could get in more trouble than the guy who tried to rob her."

Akronis

What sucks is that in spite of being a victim of theft, she can also be charged with "misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon." Yeah, the other guy may have deserved it, but it is still trying to run a guy over with your vehicle.

Who knows if this will be justified in court or not.

Running someone over with a car is generally not equivalent to having your property stolen.

Who knows if this will be justified in court or not.
He didn't "deserve" to get run the fuck over.

She could have very easily killed the guy.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
People who think that death and/or debilitating injury is a proportionate punishment for theft (I'm not even talking about armed robbery), are bat shit insane.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Humanity is a failed experiment.

If you're robbing pregnant ladies in Walmart I'd say you're effectively human trash. Obviously she shouldn't have chased him down with her car, but there are more egregious atrocities for me to give a crap about.

Carnby

Raines is charged with breaking and entering, larceny and damage to property, reported the Citizen-Times. And Braswell is charged with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon, according to the Asheville Police Department jail web site.

Social media seems to be on Braswell’s side and lauded her for fighting back against an alleged crime.

“I'm sorry but he got what he deserved. Too much of this stuff happening. We need to fight back... The court system doesn’t do anything but give them a little slap or better tap on the wrist,” Teresa Ledbetter posted on Facebook.

“Not saying what she did was right, according to the letter of the law, but when you decide to commit a crime against another person, you do assume a certain amount of risk that that person may be crazier than you, and, as in this case, run you over with a red-orange SUV...He played a stupid game and they both won a stupid prize,” Dave Conklin wrote.

“I would of done the same thing,” posted Denise Swilling on Facebook. “You know what is sad the way out system is she will probably get in more trouble than him that's crazy.”

It's like they already did this thread for us.

/end

Looking at the video, she could have easily ran over someone else in the lot or t-boned another car coming the other way. I'm not going to applaud that shit.

Zee-Row

Banned
Lets just say that I don't feel bad for the thief. Running him over with the car was over the top. A good old fashion ass whooping is more appropriate.

MIMIC

Banned
"Me being five months pregnant, I chased a little ways then come back, jumped in the car, threw it in gear and come across the curb and ran him over. I was not going to let him get away with it," she told WLOS.

Ummmmmmmmmm.....ok? lol

This is something right out of a video game

Kthulhu

If you're robbing pregnant ladies in Walmart I'd say you're effectively human trash. Obviously she shouldn't have chased him down with her car, but there are more egregious atrocities for me to give a crap about.

She tried to murder him.

Edit: also, she could've hurt someone else in the process. I get that she was pissed, but it was just a purse. She should've called the police and gone about her day.

mas8705

He didn't "deserve" to get run the fuck over.

She could have very easily killed the guy.

I'm not saying that he did "deserve" it, but alot of people online aren't really that hesitant with their thoughts on it and are using that word. Besides, I did say that ," it is still trying to run a guy over with your vehicle."

There is a simple saying of "Two wrongs don't make a right." and unfortunately that is what we are seeing here that out of all options taken, she took the one that was completely reckless as she could have struck another person in the parking lot or something much worse. As you had mentioned: had she killed him, the book probably would have thrown at her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just because you are in pursuit doesn't mean you to kill your assailant.

Man, I'm not sure if I'm getting overly cynical in my old age or not, but the fact that their pics weren't posted on the front of the article made me assume they must be white. Judging by the video, seems I was right for the purse stealer.

Zee-Row

Banned
That guy must be slow as hell for her to chase him first then run back to her car and run him over. Maybe he should do cardio lessons with the money he steals.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lets just say that I don't feel bad for the thief. Running him over with the car was over the top. A good old fashion ass whooping is more appropriate.

The lady did try and based on her rage, she would have probably whopped his ass if she caught up with him on foot.

"Me being five months pregnant, I chased a little ways then come back, jumped in the car, threw it in gear and come across the curb and ran him over. I was not going to let him get away with it,” she told WLOS.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
She didn't do the right thing sure, but I think it's dumb there's the potential that she'll get in worse trouble than the person that robbed her. Though I think there's a chance she might get her punishment lessened with the workings that people are often pumped up full of adrenaline after robbed, and increased anger, aggressiveness, and irritation can be a symptom of pregnancy. Pregnant with increased aggressiveness + Adrenaline Rush + Someone stealing your purse combo might certainly lesser her, especially as the victim initially and not just running some random guy over.

I don't think that'll stop all of it, but I think she may get off easier than some other potential situations.

BadWolf

Yeah no shit.

Snatching a purse vs. running someone down with an SUV.

Top Bottom