• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prejudice around height and it's seeming acceptance among society.

Budi

Cause your world isn't ending. It never was. You can be upset but you'll still get the ribbing that a bald man gets. People aren't going to hand out sympathy if you're still well ahead in life.
And this is a problem, is sympathy a resource you need to use sparingly so you won't run out of it?

Pizza

I'm 5'5 or 5'6. Unfortunately i dig tall chicks. My height only really ever bothers me when someone feels the need to point it out like it matters. It's really only problematic during like, concerts or crowds.

Doesn't bother me much. It shrinks my pool of potential mates considerably, but that's just life. I'm the only dude at work who can easily fit parts of my body into the various arcade machines to mess with stuff, so there's that.

As a kid, I was never super tall. I always really wanted to be, because it seemed super cool. My kid brother grew past me instead. It's a bummer, sure, but I can't pretend like I'd date every person on earth so it's nbd in that regard.

I'm 5'5 or 5'6. Unfortunately i dig tall chicks. My height only really ever bothers me when someone feels the need to point it out like it matters. It's really only problematic during like, concerts or crowds.

Doesn't bother me much. It shrinks my pool of potential mates considerably, but that's just life. I'm the only dude at work who can easily fit parts of my body into the various arcade machines to mess with stuff, so there's that.

As a kid, I was never super tall. I always really wanted to be, because it seemed super cool. My kid brother grew past me instead. It's a bummer, sure, but I can't pretend like I'd date every person on earth so it's nbd in that regard.

Do you prefer tall chicks as validation/status?

nitewulf

5'5". I haven't encountered too many problems in the corporate world. It's because I changed the game-play, I was an engineer in a stable but very old-school , bureaucratic company. After I hit a certain level (not height wise ha ha), I realized the only way to move up was to network, talent didn't mean much. I was interviewing for positions well, but being passed over. Went back to school and switched over to finance, more than doubled my salary over 3 years, work with beautiful, intelligent women all day....because in finance, they are the managers. They all find me easy to get along with and not intimidating (this is where my height is advantageous!), and now I am in a cushy job where I work from home fridays, schedule is very flexible, people are the best and I get paid extremely well.

Dating on the other hand has been more of an issue, but it's probably more to do with my race, not gonna blame it on height totally. Being short doesn't help, but I am not white or black and Tinder has never worked. Out there I see plenty of short guys with women, so I don't think that's much of an issue. Since I was married for a while, I was out of the scene for a while, and I am weary of PUA and see how they will target a group of women and approach. And now I finally get what women go through every single night out and why women are so cautious. So I do my own thing, enjoy music, go dancing by myself...once women get that I am just having my own fun, plenty of them approach and dance with me. Plenty start a conversation. None of these lead to anything "substantial", but that's neither here, nor there. Finding a good partner is difficult either way...no matter woman or man. Plenty of my girl friends all complain about being ghosted after two dates or after they slept with a dude, and dudes say the same thing. I think, specifically in the big cities, we have all become unsympathetic and impatient, we just tend in general not to learn and know a person better anymore, unless they are VERY attractive. What can you do?

D i Z

I believe it's the in-group out-group mentality.

Height is something that crosses all ethnicity, religions, cultures, etc. Because tall or short people are subgroups of nearly every privileged/unprivileged group out there, they are treated in the same way across all groups. And most people are not okay with letting their advantage go.

Thus the resistance to and mocking of of the topic at hand.

Quoting this to move it to the next page.

And this is a problem, is sympathy a resource you need to use sparingly so you won't run out of it?
Yes. If I felt sympathy for every fucking thing people would build a religion around me. I'm sorry you guys aren't tall but evidence shows you will be just fine. It's the same with balding. Ya it sucks but life still goes well.

Pizza

Do you prefer tall chicks as validation/status?

Nah, honestly I generally date around my height. Not on purpose or anything, it's just sort of played out that way. I find a woman who is taller than me super attractive though. I've always been the shortest one in a group, so height differences don't really bother me at all

LaNaranja

I've just skimmed through this thread and some of you guys are complaining about being short when your height is fine. I'm 5'8-5'9 and have never been called short in my entire adult life. Not sure who the hell some of you are talking to that anyone under 6' is short. I think it might be the insecurity that is killing some of you people, not the height. Some of you guys who perceive yourselves as being short would probably benefit from visiting a therapist. You gotta learn to love, respect, and accept yourself before you can seek it from others.

Reminds me of that "We don't serve bear fans in here" thread where the OP got sad because they teased him about his favorite team.

Shredderi

I believe it's the in-group out-group mentality.

Height is something that crosses all ethnicity, religions, cultures, etc. Because tall or short people are subgroups of nearly every privileged/unprivileged group out there, they are treated in the same way across all groups. And most people are not okay with letting their advantage go.

Thus the resistance to and mocking of of the topic at hand.

I think there is truth in here. People definitely like advantages (who wouldn't?) and don't want to let go of them. People look at themselves and think "well after all is said and done, I at least have *insert generally perceived advantage ´here* and that will a lot of times put me above people who do not have it". Wouldn't propably feel good to lose that.

D i Z

I've just skimmed through this thread and some of you guys are complaining about being short when your height is fine. I'm 5'8-5'9 and have never been called short in my entire adult life. Not sure who the hell some of you are talking to that anyone under 6' is short. I think it might be the insecurity that is killing some of you people, not the height. Some of you guys who perceive yourselves as being short would probably benefit from visiting a therapist. You gotta learn to love, respect, and accept yourself before you can seek it from others.

Reminds me of that "We don't serve bear fans in here" thread where the OP got sad because they teased him about his favorite team.

Outstanding situations of real world harassment (and I know there any many), this is what I get from the digital dating gripes that are being expressed here. It's not like the ladies using these services have even met anyone that they are removing from their pool, but guys are feeling inadequate about the very same things that they do themselves.

Shredderi

Cause your world isn't ending. It never was. You can be upset but you'll still get the ribbing that a bald man gets. People aren't going to hand out sympathy if you're still well ahead in life.

The guy made a very good point, and I honestly believe even you think so. Of course it doesn't end anyone's life, but that was never in the question and will never be so that is a very odd point to try to add into this discussion.

KingV

I agree that the reply is just flat out misguided, and I roll my eyes heartily at those quoting it and going "we're done", but I wish we would stop using the word "opression" when talking about height issues. Are short people really being oppressed in America? I don't think even discriminated is the right word. Mocked? Sure. Derided/disparaged/belittled/etc, sometimes, yeah. And that's of course not cool, at all, and it should be discussed. But opressed, discriminated, or being victims of prejudice? I think that might be taking it too far.

Aren't you effectively also playing Oppression Olympics here?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I always figured height was how tall black and white men bonded to make fun of other minorities. 🤔

I've only ever felt short when reading women's dating profiles. Otherwise it hasn't been an issue. I think my giant melon of a head gives an illusion that I'm taller than I really am. It is weird how it's one of the few things to mock that doesn't warrant a PC police waggling of the finger. Joke about weight - shame on you, a joke about height - "lol".

Murkas

Would you rather shorten your height by 1 inch to increase your penis size by 1 inch or shorten your penis by 1 inch to increase your height by 1 inch?

Orb

I love when people equate not finding something sexually attractive to hating/being prejudiced against it.

Like i'm a big guy but I'm not gonna get in a hissy fit because a bunch of ppl are into twinks instead lol

Hell, I'm not sexually attracted to transmen, but I still wholeheartedly support them and their gender identity knowing that there are guys and gals out there who are.

Like physical appearance, a lot of people can't control their sexual/romantic preferences

also
short guys are hotter

Would you rather shorten your height by 1 inch to increase your penis size by 1 inch or shorten your penis by 1 inch to increase your height by 1 inch?
id be scared to do either tbh but if i had to, the first one

Budi

Yes. If I felt sympathy for every fucking thing people would build a religion around me. I'm sorry you guys aren't tall but evidence shows you will be just fine. It's the same with balding. Ya it sucks but life still goes well.
I'm 6" I don't struggle with mocking and discrimination because of my height. But I can always keep calling out abhorrent behaviour (like the tweets posted in this thread) even when it's not directed at me or people similar to me. But there's no religion around me yet unfortunately. Would be great though if people followed my advice and teachings blindly. And here, take some of my sympathy so you can extend it to people too, first time is free of charge.

Aren't you effectively also playing Oppression Olympics here?
How? I am honestly asking if people are being oppressed, precisely in order to avoid the "oppression olympics" thing (which by the way I think is a pretty idiotic term). Someone mentioned there are studies and statistics that show that there is indeed discrimination in the workplace so I corrected my stance.

How am I "playing Opression Olympics"? Being discriminated is shitty, regardless of the source of discrimination. Being discriminated and being oppresed are two different things though.

KingV

How? I am honestly asking if people are being oppressed, precisely in order to avoid the "oppression olympics" thing (which by the way I think is a pretty idiotic term). Someone mentioned there are studies and statistics that show that there is indeed discrimination in the workplace so I corrected my stance.

How am I "playing Opression Olympics"? Being discriminated is shitty, regardless of the source of discrimination. Being discriminated and being oppresed are two different things though.

I read your comment as saying "sure there is some discrimination, but it's not 'oppression', like some other forms of discrimination".

That might be true, but it's also largely irrelevant. It's just whataboutism. I have not seen it as explicitly in this thread but have absolutely seen posters in past height threads say it's ridiculous to complain about height when there is racism. Taken to its logical extreme, all of OT should just have a "Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up and be thankful we are not Charlie Gard"

I read your comment as saying "sure there is some discrimination, but it's not 'oppression', like some other forms of discrimination".

That might be true, but it's also largely irrelevant. It's just whataboutism. I have not seen it as explicitly in this thread but have absolutely seen posters in past height threads say it's ridiculous to complain about height when there is racism. Taken to its logical extreme, all of OT should just have a "Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up and be thankful we are not Charlie Gard"
Then you read it wrong. Oppression and discrimination are two different things. Can they occur at the same time? Sure. That doesn't make them the same. For the record, they're both terrible things.

And it's not "whataboutism", as I never raised the question of "but what about how <insert other demographic group> are treated?". The only reason I posted what I did was because I am interested in this topic (as a guy that's 5'3") and I don't want to see it derailed precisely because of "but there are people that have it worse". I feel the topic should focus on how it's seemingly ok to mock short people for a physical trait when it's frowned upon to do so for other groups. I raised the question of prejudice and discrimination. It seems there is data to support it, so I'm also glad to continue the conversation down that road. If there is data to support the existence of oppression then that's definitely something that needs to be discussed as well. Did you not see the posts on the very first page quoting foodtaster's input and dismissing him outright? That's the type of shit I want to avoid. It seems my post wasn't clear enough so I apologize for that. But do not accuse me of "opression olympics" and "whataboutism" when there is nothing of the sort in my posts.

As a short guy I've dealt with this shit my whole life. I'm 30 now so I pretty much never think about until someone brings it up.

If you've ever pointed out how short a guy is, please congratulate yourself for being the first person to do so. He probably didn't know that he was short before you called him a midget or a manlet.

These are often the same people that bring up Napoleon anytime a short guy gets angry. As if our entire identity revolves around our height.

If you've ever pointed out how short a guy is, please congratulate yourself for being the first person to do so.
Heh, that's the obvious retort (and what I reply if I'm in a good mood) "oh, wow, I hadn't noticed, how observant of you", etc.
These are often the same people that bring up Napoleon anytime a short guy gets angry. As if our entire identity revolves around our height.
This is also a fun one to reply to, seeing as how the Napoleon thing has been identified as propaganda by now, and the whole "Napoleon complex" condition has been debunked as well.

I still think is completely healthy to call out shitty behavior and adult mockery when experienced. I'm not sure I'm going to change people's attitude towards heightism, but I sure as hell I'm not going to sit idly by and let people call me names or make fun of my height. Then again, I haven't experienced anyting like that since middle school.

I wish I could offer a solution other than suck it up. I am 5'9 so I don't have it bad, I have only received a demeaning comment about my height literally once in my life. The color of my skin has been a worse factor even back in Mexico because I used to spend a lot of time under the sun when I was a kid. Actually in the US people are cool about it, I'm sure they fling shit behind my back but they are not aggressive about it at all like how it was during my childhood.

Anyway, back to my point. Yeah, height is just one of the many things you as a man have to suck up because (as you can see from this thread) not many will offer an ounce of sympathy. Do your thing and adopt a FYGM attitude, it's a doggy dog world!

Namikaze

I wish I could offer a solution other than suck it up. I am 5'9 so I don't have it bad, I have only received a demeaning comment about my height literally once in my life. The color of my skin has been a worse factor even back in Mexico because I used to spend a lot of time under the sun when I was a kid. Actually in the US people are cool about it, I'm sure they fling shit behind my back but they are not aggressive about it at all like how it was during my childhood.

Anyway, back to my point. Yeah, height is just one of the many things you as a man have to suck up because (as you can see from this thread) not many will offer an ounce of sympathy. Do your thing and adopt a FYGM attitude, it's a doggy dog world!

Yep, what I've learned throughout life is basically no one cares and most people are shallow/cold enough to pick on you for your height, skin color, facial features, etc. I wish I could say I made it out on the other side a more positive person but it's just making me colder and colder as time goes on. Oh well lol

As someone who's 6-1 I'm generally taller than most people but I only notice it when standing in a group of people etc. Whilst I do notice people who are really short I never pick on them for it, Firstly since its a dumb thing to pick on someone for, and secondly since I also see plenty of people who're taller than me. :p

Dali

I'm 6'2" and hit my head on a ceiling fan the other day. A girl I dated called me a giant.
Aren't most ceilings like 10ft high? What kinda stupid fan installation hangs down that low? That's just bad design moreso than you being super tall.

Mahonay

Banned
Being short doesn't suck. But hey you do you.

Top Bottom