• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

14-Mar-06 12:28 ET In Play Sony to delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console - DJ (SNE) 47.48 +0.71: Dow Jones reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment will delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console until early November because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not been finalized, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Wednesday morning edition.

DMczaf

sonycowboy said:
14-Mar-06 12:28 ET In Play Sony to delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console - DJ (SNE) 47.48 +0.71: Dow Jones reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment will delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console until early November because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not been finalized, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Wednesday morning edition.

2420424095.gif

Mmmkay

sonycowboy said:

So they're delaying their CE Blu-Ray players until early November too?

Blu-ray spannnuuuuud!

Goddamit, there goes my hopes to see the shitstorm that would have followed if they had annonced they were still on schedule.

sonycowboy said:
You know you could have had 15 pages with just ":O"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
off the record: It's curtains for Sony.

on the record: SONY DEFENSE FORCE, TO ME! PROTECT THE MUDDERSHIP!

yoopoo said:
Durr

Which idiot at gaf didn't know it was going to be delayed?

Umm...better read a few of the "Delay" threads. There were plenty of people who argued that it was still on track and would be released in the Spring.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go hug my X360.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
This is great news for me, as I'm hopefully planning on buying a house between the original launch date and the new one, with the result that I won't be tempted to buy one now (won't have the money to pay for it).

Obviously that's less good for Sony, but I'm sure they've got enough money without mine.

14-Mar-06 12:28 ET In Play Sony to delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console - DJ (SNE) 47.48 +0.71: Dow Jones reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment will delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console until early November because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not been finalized, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Wednesday morning edition

But, which November? It doesn't say if it's 2006 or 2007.

Exclusive: PS3 Possibly Delayed Till 2007

:lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
PS3 cancelled, news at 11.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sonycowboy said:
Publisher stocks are in a freefall the past 15 minutes (ATVI, ERTS, MWY, & TTWO, etc).

Gamestop too.

Microsoft is up.
Heh, but I thought everyone already knew this was going to happen.

SuperPac

So unless they want to do a worldwide launch (unlikely), that means X360 and Rev might have the upcoming holiday season to themselves? Wow, just wow.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Uh, this "release" they are talking about is in Japan anyhow right? So those of us elsewhere should expect it even later than that, right?

shoplifter

Sugarman said:
Will it be released earlier in Japan, or is Novemeber it for all regions?

It's Nihon Keizai, they're talking about Japan. I'm now wondering if this will push it past Christmas in North America or whether they're going to do the MS worldwide launch.

SantaC

Did anyone really believe sony when they said spring 2006? I am sure it was said just to downplay the X360 hype.

Dr_Cogent said:
Uh, this "release" they are talking about is in Japan anyhow right? So those of us elsewhere should expect it even later than that, right?

All signs point to this NOT being a HW issue. It's a Blu-Ray (and really) a SW issue. There will likely be a NICE supply of HW for launch.

Lo-Volt

sonycowboy said:

If this is the Shimbun reporting the delay, does this mean November in Japan or November in an unspecified region? Edit: sorry, question already asked and answered. But going by what was quoted above, who knows. If Sony somehow launches the PS3 in 2007, that's no fatal blow for them, but it depends on whether Microsoft can take advantage of this in America. If they can actually get their act together and get back on track after the last five-odd months of delays and slow hardware movement for their 360.

sonycowboy said:
Word is HD-DVD AIN'T making the end of this month either. We'll see...
At this point the Xbox360 is a non-factor, but not getting the PS3 or the Blu-Ray format out before Toshiba gets HD-DVD into full swing would be a huge blow to Sony

Top Bottom