• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President's lawyers may offer Mueller a meeting with Trump

That's my point though. It is an active investigation for obstruction of justice. Lawyers speaking directly with investigators unless requested is generally not the usual process and potentially misconduct.

The FBI has never formally announced that they are investigating the president for obstruction of justice. We have deeply sourced articles that state that he is part of the ongoing investigation, but it is not official. Trump's lawyers cannot be committing malpractice for offering information into one investigation (the Russia thing) that may contradict another investigation (the obstruction thing) that doesn't exist.

As always with goings-on with this stuff, there are things that we "know" because they were revealed to the press, and things we know because they were aired out publicly in a hearing or by one of the president's tweets/interviews.

Trump's lawyers are attempting to do this now for likely quite a few reasons, one being that they want Trump to appear willing/innocent, 2) the investigation is underway so Mueller likely has an incomplete timeline, 3) they want to get a potential inkling of what he knows, 4) the president gets to 'answer questions' while not under oath.

Even a PR statement like "The FBI has not confirmed that the president is under investigation, fake news" would be seen as a win for Donald.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is he stupid enough to ask Mueller to let the whole Flynn / Manafort stuff, that they are “good guys”?

I can't believe no one did this.

T21AtQ6.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mueller isn't falling for this. It's an old tactic.

Mueller is Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Trump's lawyers are treating him like he's Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

jstripes

Banned
"It would be wonderful if you could reassure the public that I'm not under investigation."

"I'll tell the public what they need to know when they need to know it."

Maybe Trump's lawyers think that if Mueller just sits down and talks to the president for a bit he'll be won over by his boyish charm and drop the entire investigation?

Bwahahaha!

KingV

This seems like a fucking Hail Mary where they know they are fucked.

Lying to Mueller is a crime. It seems the height of a dangerous plan to put a client who has already been caught committing perjury in the past, is known for lying publically and flagrantly, and can barely read a 5 minute speech off of a piece of paper without making a false statement to Offer an interview with Mueller.

I suspect this means that they know they can’t avoid it, so they have to do it now.

Top Bottom